[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found a Polish mass grave in England

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: POLA0001.gif (2KB, 413x260px) Image search: [Google]
POLA0001.gif
2KB, 413x260px
>Requesting help contacting a Polish veterans' group, need a Polish speaker please.

A friend and a historian showed me an abandoned mental hospital yesterday where Polish soldiers were kept after WW2, and not allowed to return because Russians had invaded. These soldiers were kept until the 1980s and given lobotomies and electroshock. There's a large graveyard behind one of the hospitals (there were 2, connected by an underground tunnel); It's a large empty field, a mass grave with one monument in the center to the unknown Polish dead.

As far as I know, nobody has attempted to contact any Polish veterans groups or historic societies. I'm wondering if someone can help me translate a letter?
>>
>>134652022
Where's the abandoned mental hospital? Sounds like a good time.
>>
>>134652141
Close to Norovic Clinic, just south of the parking lot. It's almost demolished to make way for an industrial park. The graveyard is surrounded by industrial buildings too, and I can see it being bulldozed soon, also.

I found a not there asking for information if anyone knew where "Olives" was buried, so some people must have information on it.
>>
>>134652405
Sounds like the start of a horror movie desu.
>>
Here's my letter, I hope my translation isn't so butchered it's unreadable. Might go to /int/

Wczoraj przyjaciel pokazał mi opuszczony szpital psychiatryczny w Norwich, w Anglii, gdzie polscy żołnierze zatrzymali się po II wojnie światowej, aż do 1980 roku. Jest tam cmentarz za szpitalem z masowym grobem dla nich. Polscy żołnierze są pogrzebani bez identyfikacji i nikt nie wie, kim byli. Nie sądzę, aby polski rząd lub weteranowie wiedzieli o tym, bo nie widziałem żadnego pomnika, innego niż marker na środku pola. Szpital (szpitalny azyl szpitalny w St Andrew's) ma zostać rozebrany i zastąpiony parkiem przemysłowym. Mam nadzieję, że znajdę jakiś sposób na zapamiętanie polskich żołnierzy, zanim będzie za późno.

Dziękuję Ci,
>>
Why should Anglo's care? Chances are if their in a mental hospital their mental

Your obviously a pole who should be going back to your ancestral homeland and to make that great again instead of dragging up more shit from other past like some holocaust lover.

Just saying
>>
>>134652599
Its not that bad
>>
>>134652936
Thanks, I'm sending it then. I heard the Polish Society of War Veterans would be good to send it to, but do you know of any better groups?
>>
>>134652599
Replace "Dziękuję Ci," with simple "Dziękuję,"
With "Ci" it sound unnatural in Polish and as if it was dedicated to one person.
>>
>>134653218
I dont know, cant help you with that
>>
>>134652022
Thank you so much that at least you care
>>
>>134653289
Thanks for the info, I sent it off to a few bookkeeping and memorial people at the Society of War Veterans.

>>134654263
Thanks senpai, Poles got the short end of things in both World Wars, kind of shocked this happened but I hope it resolves something.
>>
proofs?
>>
>>134652022
World War II started because Poland was invaded, and when World War II ended Poland was still invaded.
>>
>>134652599

Wczoraj przyjaciel pokazał mi opuszczony szpital psychiatryczny w Norwich, w Anglii, gdzie polscy żołnierze zatrzymali się po II wojnie światowej, aż do 1980 roku. Za szpitalem, jest cmentarz z masowym grobem. Polscy żołnierze są pogrzebani bez identyfikacji i nikt nie wie, kim byli. Nie sądzę, aby polski rząd lub weterani wiedzieli o tym, bo nie widziałem żadnego pomnika, innego niż marker na środku pola. Szpital (azyl szpitalny w St Andrew's) ma zostać rozebrany i zastąpiony parkiem przemysłowym. Mam nadzieję, że znajdę jakiś sposób na zapamiętanie polskich żołnierzy, zanim będzie za późno.
Dziękuję,
>>
>>134655274
Fixed a few minor things
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1600x900px
>>134655184
The guy I was traveling with may have taken me there because of this - We're both history buffs but he knows a lot more than I do. We were talking about different places, and something came up where I mentioned it was shameful that Brits didn't let the Poles fly their flag in the victory parade after the war. He took me to the asylum after that.

>>134654946
I stupidly took mostly videos so the screenshots are always blurry, plus it was raining. I plan to go back later and document it in more depth but here's the graveyard.

Sorry if I go afk soon, I have a meeting
>>
File: 1500048874223.png (154KB, 308x416px) Image search: [Google]
1500048874223.png
154KB, 308x416px
>>134652022
So they were crazies used as guinea pigs in experiments? What's the big deal
>>
>>134654643
seriously if it's real, then consider to hit on IPN (our national institute of remembrance - it takes care of any things related with historical sites, museums, historical acts etc) - because this is part of our government and they should get things done, but cooperation with them might not always work out like you want
>https://ipn.gov.pl/en
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (145KB, 1115x615px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
145KB, 1115x615px
>>134655855
Thank you, I'll send them an Email in English, if I get no response in a week I'll do a Polish one.

Picture is the southern wing of the hospital. They're tearing down the north side one. It's now used for expensive homes, but supposedly homeowners here don't really know the past. The main ward straight ahead was headed by Polish officers.
>>
File: CwoBcRFUkAAMeFS.jpg (240KB, 806x859px) Image search: [Google]
CwoBcRFUkAAMeFS.jpg
240KB, 806x859px
>>134652022
bump for interest
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (174KB, 1115x741px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
174KB, 1115x741px
>email sent to the National Institute of Remembrance

To whom it may concern,

A friend was showing me around Norwich the other day, and took me to an old mental asylum which housed Polish soldiers and officers after World War 2. He showed me the mass grave behind the north wing of the hospital (which is being demolished now). The only marker there is a concrete memorial to the "Polish community," which were kept at the hospital after the war. There are no markers, and I don't think anyone knows the identities of the Polish military buried here. I did find a note, in a plastic bag, asking if anyone knew the burial place of "Olives," although I may have the name wrong (it was raining and soaked).

If the Polish military or veterans groups haven't yet been contacted about this, I feel they should be. The mass grave is surrounded by an industrial park now, and the lack of identification is no way to honor the Polish military.
Thank you,
XXXXX, A1C, United States Air Force

>pic
This is a mass grave for civilians and possibly poorer Polish. The ground is raised with the number of bodies underneath. I understand Poles were mostly buried by the northern wing. Directly ahead is the church, and lobotomies and other experiments were done in the basement.
>>
>>134652022
So I guess it was this hospital
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/photo-gallery-inscribed-bricks-help-to-build-picture-of-thorpe-st-andrew-hospital-s-past-1-1965384
Mostly an insane asylum, but also used in both world wars as a general hospital. The graveyard was used by the hospital to bury patients who had died and were unclaimed by relatives, probably since the hospital opened in 1814. If it was used for war casualties, and maybe also by the Polish Resettlement Corps after the war, I guess Poles would be buried there too.

Lobotomies and electroshock? Only ones who had been committed to the mental hospital, they'd get the same treatment as British patients.
>>
>>134658000

Shit, was this the British version of mk ultra, doing tests on these unfortunate polish soldiers?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (524KB, 1113x741px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
524KB, 1113x741px
>>134658000
I was told the Polish were buried mostly on the northern end, the grave in this post >>134657810
was mostly used for British; Poles probably didn't go through with that unless they had done something wrong, but the guy I was with at the time told me he wouldn't doubt that they had that done as well.

Pic related is a marker for the mass grave for Brits. Remember, up until the 1930s I think, if you had a child out of wedlock you were sent to an asylum.
>>
>>134652022
>and given lobotomies

and with mow effect to intelligence
>>
>>134658394
now*
>>
>>134658000
Sorry for the weird wording, I'm getting prepared to go out for a meeting at the same time.

There's two separate graveyards. The one to the north is specifically for Polish I think. They became stateless after the war, and couldn't be sent back. They remained this way until the 1980s. A lot of them naturally had no family, or went crazy while at the hospital. The graves for British are at the southern end, which I think was run partly by Polish officers.

There may also have been complications with sending bodies back to Russian-occupied Poland, even if they knew the identities.

It would be great to see both mass graves memorialized, but there aren't many interest groups for poor British civilians from the 1800s. The Polish government would probably care, though
>>
>>134658219
No that was a common practice for shell shocked soldiers and other mentally ill people.

I don't know where OP is getting MASS GRAVES oy vey from. I think he's just mistaken a ex army hospital and a few graves with probably a few shell shocked patients (Both British and Polish) as death camp 2.0
>>
>>134658309
>Remember, up until the 1930s I think, if you had a child out of wedlock you were sent to an asylum.
Even later in some cases, I think until the '50s
>>
>>134658788
The guy I was with made it sound like it was a mass grave; The hospital was an end-point for badly wounded Polish soldiers and used as a wartime hospital and a mental hospital. This combined with all of the Polish who lived here from the 40s til the 80s, many more died. It's a pretty large field, too.

I'm not implying the government here intentionally tried to wipe them out, but I'd heard "loads of soldiers," and "scores of bodies," from the local I was with, so I believe it.
>>
>>134659095
Most mental hospitals were pretty shit places to live. If it was the end point for soldiers unable to return home or without families they wouldn't of had a very nice time especially if they were mentally traumatized by the war. But that was the same for practically every mentally ill or displaced/wounded person without a family or an income.

I think it's less of a purposely punish poles then unfortunate wounded soldiers in a ex war country struggling with finances witnessing it's colonial empire collapsing being put into less then favorable conditions due to economic factors causing a increse in deaths who may or may not of been majority Polish if that's where a large amount of these polish were put into care here.
>>
>>134659617
Yeah, I agree there. I never meant to make it sound like they were being punished, the fact that they were cared for for so long proves they were at least trying to help them.

I said earlier in the thread that Brits weren't flying the Polish flag at the victory parade, because of the Russians. It was a touchy subject and they didn't want to piss people off. They buried the soldiers (local said he's sure they at least lined them up first, properly) and may have just not kept proper records or forgotten when the Iron Curtain fell. Brits tried to help but unfortunately mental hospitals are all around terrible places, especially in post-war Britain where any help was hard to come by

Anyway, I have a meeting with a friend soon, will post a new thread if I get any responses. I'd love to see a Polish flag over the cemetery, and maybe a proper memorial explaining what happened, some day
>>
>>134660133
Just remember who's country your in and who your allegiances lie with. It's no longer with Poland if your a decedent it's with Briton. Put a memorial all you want to the poor soldiers and men who died in pretty shit conditions but just don't forget. I don't mean to sound aggressive but Diaspora which refuse to assimilate are cancerous whoever race or culture they are.

Good luck and may those blokes rest in peace
>>
>>134652599
>nie widziałem żadnego pomnika
>pomnik
Czy ktos powiedzial pomnik?!
>>
>>134652022
Do it lad, the future of the Anglo-Polish alliance depends on you
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.