[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

latvia

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: PXeMocD.gif (6KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
PXeMocD.gif
6KB, 300x200px
can someone give me a quick rundown on this country and it's politics and culture
>>
>>134534320
Metapolitics of Latvia is shit.
Constant political scandals pushed by the liberal media, implying that a small group of local oligarchs controls the entire political system here.

Twittersphere is dominated by liberals and leftists, as well as Western expat journos pushing leftist ideas, but that is mostly ignored by the larger society, since they don't read twitter or their publications in the press.

Fairly nationalistic, but in a dumb way: i.e. "I hate niggers because they're niggers, etc".

There is no deeper thought on social and political implications of having immigrants from ME or Africa.

We don't like Russians, mainly not because of "muh Putin" but because we have a very large population of ethnic Russians, who were brought in during the Soviet occupation, that have not integrated into Latvian society, although they have been given every chance to do so.

Russia has been funding leftist, anti-fascist and Jewish politicians here for more than 20 years. That's why can't take Western nationalists, who support Putin seriously.
>>
>>134535053
whats the refugee situation?

what about the culture?
>>
File: 1480367218981.jpg (233KB, 1333x1353px) Image search: [Google]
1480367218981.jpg
233KB, 1333x1353px
>>134534320
>>134535053
As for the economy:

While the West had over 70 years to accumulate private capital since WWII, Eastern Europe only has had 25 years. You also have to take into account economic aid the West received almost immediately after the war through the Marshal plan.
Eastern Europe only started getting reasonable amounts of aid relevant to the real economy after 2004, when it joined the EU.

I would say we've done a pretty good job, given our situation in the post-Industrial world, where there are established centers of manufacturing in the West and Asia, so there wasn't anything like the post-War manufacture boom here like in the West.

90% of industry during the Soviet occupation were manufacturing jobs for the Soviet defense industry that little to no effect on consumer living standards and the real economy. After the collapse of the USSR all of these factories became obsolete and with already established manufacturing centers in the West they wouldn't be able to compete anyway, even if they were converted to produce consumer products.
We're lucky to have the social pressure valve in the form of free movement within, that has allowed many people, mostly of lower working class background, to emigrate elsewhere, instead of social woes and rising crime, especially in the 2009 crisis aftermath.
The "gibs" are running out anyway, but thanks to them we have established a more or less self reliant economy. Pic related, as you see Eastern Europe are not the only leeches. Luxembourg WTF
>>
>>134535332
>so there wasn't anything like the post-War manufacture boom here like in the West.

There was a huge manufacturing industry in the Baltics during Soviet times.
>>
>>134535549
Yes soviet manufaturing...
Nobody wants to buy shitty soviet products
>>
>>134535234
>whats the refugee situation?
Under the EU quota system, Latvia was obligated to take in around 300 refugees from Italy and Greece over the next 4 years.
About 120 did arrive here since the beginning of that programme, but only about 20 currently remain here at this moment. Its because they receive about 180 euros a month from the government. Most of them leave immediately for Germany and Sweden after arriving here.

But refugees aren't a problem here. What is the problem are foreign students from South Asia (India, Pakistan) that come to our universities. There are Kebab shops all over the Riga city centre run by them. I'm actually very worried they might stay here after finishing their studies.
>>
>>134535234
We don't have much gibs so we don't have much of a problem woth them at all, I think there's around 20-25 total here
>>
>>134535549
Did you even read my post?
>90% of industry during the Soviet occupation were manufacturing jobs for the Soviet defense industry that little to no effect on consumer living standards and the real economy. After the collapse of the USSR all of these factories became obsolete and with already established manufacturing centers in the West they wouldn't be able to compete anyway, even if they were converted to produce consumer products.

Meme of Soviet industry has do die.
https://deepbaltic.com/2017/06/20/gatis-krumins-soviet-investment-baltics-latvia/
>>
>>134535743
>There are Kebab shops all over the Riga city centre run by them

You think students run kebab shops?
>>
When I visited it was 75% Russians (drunk dudes and sluts). Seems like lil' Moscow.
>>
File: 1387492669064.png (188KB, 1093x1093px) Image search: [Google]
1387492669064.png
188KB, 1093x1093px
>>134535234
>what about the culture?
The word "culture" can mean different hings to different people.
Historically its mix of Baltic paganism and Germanic central European tradition. Even though Latvia has been a part of Swedish and Russian Empires over the course of its history, the German nobility and language was a dominant force here for 800 years until the Soviet occupation.

Contemporary mass culture is a lite, less degenerate versions of the West. Although intelligent and educated people try to go back to traditions. Its considered hip here.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.