[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Number stations

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 529.jpg (251KB, 1200x936px) Image search: [Google]
529.jpg
251KB, 1200x936px
Been researching these lately, /pol/. does anyone know anything about these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station
>>
>>134527036
I have heard about that. Play usually at specific times and backup times in specific places. What I wonder is why they weren't shut down.
>>
SKYKING
>>
>>134527216
My question is are these still used to espionage lol
>>
>>134527036
NO
why did he shoot Doggo?
>>
>>134527036
FOUR THREE TWO SEVEN SEVEN
*dee da dee doo ding*
FOUR THREE TWO SEVEN SEVEN
*dee da dee doo ding*
>>
>>134527290
You shoukd have asked. In the day of encrypted signals, this takes tok much effort and has no extra value. Maybe in poor countries but they're poor so they're usually are not at war.
>>134527399
>Doggo
>Literal reddit meme
>>
>>134527399
>>134527399
He got in the way
>>
>>134527583
There's a significant advantage to this, though-the receiver of the message only needs a radio. Anything can be decrypted in this day and age, so I'm curious who still uses this and why
>>
>>134527731
For when the man comes around
>>
>>134527731
Decryption can go in and out in terms or usefulness. As a breakthrough brings up security a notch, hackers can use the same tricks to step up their game. That's why hackers are hired to make systems foolproof. The code is technically an encryption too, is it not?
>>
>>134527965
Of course it is. However, anything digital leaves a trace.
>>
Ok, kids! Time to tell you the difference between chiper and codes.

One of he most simple kinds of cipher is C+3. You just move every letter three letters foward:

ABC = DEF

Theoretically, all ciphers can be broken.

Codes are just prior agreements. If you decide that "dog" is a code for "cup", then it can't be broken. However, the meaning of "dog" can be inferred from context.

And this is the beauty of number stations. The message itself isn't decrypted, because no one can understand the code. The message can be picked up with cheap and non-conspicious equipment. And a good agent can easily memorize hundreds of rules needed in order to de*code* the message.
>>
>>134528794
>The message itself isn't decrypted
Phuk! The message itself is in plaintext. No need to send the numbers as scrambled static.
>>
>>134527036
Never got the dead dog in this image, is it a reference to something?
>>
>>134528794
Don't be faggot. Just call it a "one-time pad" which is what it's called.
>>
It's illegal to listen to number stations in the UK
>>
Was a pretty good movie desu
>>
>>134528967
Don't you just have a number station license tax on top of the VAT?
>>
>>134528934
Are any of these explicity broadcast to the US?
>>
>>134528934
Nope. One-time pads can both be used for codes and cipher seeds. The advantage is that it's theoretically impossible to decrypt. The disadvantage is the need for discipline and the moar one-time pads the larger the risk of them being found.

You could go for redundancy. Every word or prhase has multiple codes. You could also invent a language with a grammar where the order of the words or phrases doesn't matter. Part of the decoding process is to put them in the only right order.

>>134528967
>It's illegal to listen to number stations in the UK
As if that has stopped anyone. You gotta be caught red-handed. Also, memorization.
>>
>>134529491
They're broadcast on shortwave so that they can be received ideally all around the world.
>>
>>134527036
whyd he kill the doggie :c
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.