[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elon Musk: We need to build a base on the moon

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Elon Musk: We need to build a base on the moon if we are going to stoke public interest in space travel
Such a base creates other opportunities such as satellite internet, Earth observation
Tunneling machines could mine Mars for ice and mineral

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/19/elon-musk-we-need-to-build-a-base-on-the-moon.html
>>
what a waste of money
>>
File: 2353521.jpg (88KB, 1080x840px) Image search: [Google]
2353521.jpg
88KB, 1080x840px
>>
>>134255304
No if they mine Helium-3.
But of course you are a leaf and you only care about muslims.
>>
>>134255560
Pedro speaks the truth. We aren't going to have any choice but mine the moon for helium and soon.
>>
>>134255077
Too bad NASA has alzheimers when it comes to the specifics of getting to the moon.
>>
Trump wants a moon base he gets a moon base.
Interesting since this means spacex has to make hydrogen engines that they avoided for many years.
>>
>>134255560
GOOD HOMBRE=GOOD VIBES
>>
Is there anything on the moon even worth mining? The only value I could see in a moon base is cheaper takeoff because of reduced gravity.
>>
>nasa announces mars plans have been canceled
>musk suddenly announces spacex is now focused on the moon
i thought spacex was going to pay out of pocket for the mars colony? was musk actually retarded enough to think that nasa was going to pay for a mars colony?
>>
>>134256409
moon Tourism.
>>
>>134256409
Your shekels, goy.
>>
>>134256409
moon has some decent minerals on it even some water but you'd have to bring alot of shit with you. earth is basically living with cheat codes since we are stupidly resource rich.
>>
>>134256811
If you can extract materials and form them into useful objects on the moon, you have the potential to build better spacecraft.

1/6 gravity decreases fuel and thrust requirements for spacecraft. Moreover, larger/spindlier structures could be incorporated that might fall apart on Earth. It's conceivable that floating habitats could be constructed on the lunar surface and then launched into Earth's orbit. Satellites could literally be shot into place with a large rail-gun. However, the relative scarcity of resources that can be used as fuel and the fact that there's a distinct lack of factories on the moon impedes any lunar construction in the next 20 or so years.
>>
>>134255077
>Please buy my stocks.
>>
>>134255077
It won't happen until we are able to create self replicating machinery.

Which is far easier to do with asteroids, which have a fairly uniform distribution of elements making the acquisition of materials easier.

When it costs 10000$+ per pound to get anything into space, no one is gonna invest the trillions needed to start a moon mining project.

We need to be able to send a small seed that can autonomously build the necessary infrastructure and then send the material back to earth.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.