[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are businesses transfering to an "open office" layout?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 31

At my company, and at the companies of most people I know, they totally removed their cubicles and most of their private offices and instead use an "open office". I don't understand this obsession with having everyone around each other, all the time. Businesses seem to hope that this will improve "spontaneous collaboration" but I am skeptical. Many people would prefer working with a bit more privacy or quiet. What does this say about our culture, that we feel the need to always be out in the open, all the time?

I notice this is going on with schools, too. More and more, the idea of separate desks is fading, now they are putting kids into "pods", which are collections of 5 or 6 desks, in a classroom, in the hopes of more group work and collaboration. Why the fuck is there this obsession with group work? It's creepy.
>>
>>133899698
Its cheaper
>>
don't worry senpai, companies are slowly taking the red pill. i work in a stodgy finance firm so it never bought the bullshit for the most part.

CEOs Want Their Offices Back
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ceos-want-their-offices-back-1495445400

Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is destroying the workplace.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/30/google-got-it-wrong-the-open-office-trend-is-destroying-the-workplace/?utm_term=.8507461b9849

Companies Are Rethinking The Open Office, And It’s About Time
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/12/open-offices-changing-to-include-private-space_n_6669666.html

Has the open office trend gone too far?
https://www.boston.com/jobs/jobs-news/2016/06/16/open-floor-plan-trend-gone-far

Is The Open-Office Trend Reversing Itself?
https://www.fastcompany.com/3046415/is-the-open-office-trend-reversing-itself
>>
>>133899698
Also, pic related doesn't necessarily give the right idea, most officers I've seen have the workers much closer
>>
>>133899989
Straight to archive
>https://washingtonpost com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/30/google-got-it-wrong-the-open-office-trend-is-destroying-the-workplace/?utm_term=.8507461b9849
https://archive.is/w8FhL
>http://huffingtonpost com/2015/02/12/open-offices-changing-to-include-private-space_n_6669666.html
https://archive.is/lmE5M
>>
>>133899989

Wow thanks for all the sources, will definitely be reading
>>
Diversity doesn't do too well if they're left on their own. Instead of white/asian/jewish men stealing the show, the preference is to share work, collaborate, and only look at the group output.
>>
>>133899890

this, the kraut understands efficiency.
>>
>>133899698
Clear sniping of dissidents.
>>
One of the reasons is to make sure employees aren't surfing the internet all day.
My office is switching to this. Sucks. Anyone know how to get deals on those 3M privacy screens?
>>
File: sokkele.png (38KB, 522x480px) Image search: [Google]
sokkele.png
38KB, 522x480px
>>133899890
it's also far more unproductive, unless you're some poo in the loo telemarketer plebs, in which case I hope you fucking die
>>
>>133899698
Theyre preparing you to share your home when the communist revolution happens
>>
File: lucky-luke-schatten.jpg (13KB, 281x236px) Image search: [Google]
lucky-luke-schatten.jpg
13KB, 281x236px
>>133899989
ahh, here we go. spbp.
>>
Go 9 hours and have to go to the bathroom to pick your nose.

What kind of idiot thought this crap up.
>>
>>133899698
If they REALLY wanted to improve productivity, they'd go to a 4-day work week.

A lot of research has been done and it shows that the 4-day work week makes employees actually achieve more over the 4 days than over 5 days.

Shit, Henry Ford thought that by now we'd be on a 3-day work week.
>>
>>133899698
>sitting in a chair to earn money
>>
>>133899698
we also are going for dynamic placement : there will not be enough desks for all people in the team, as management plans for 15% absence. So it's the end of personalized workspace. You'll have to share your keyboard and mouse with pajeet muhammad and obongo
>>
>>133899698
I work in silicon valley and have experienced the open office for years
It's primarily to keep people replaceable and gives management the ability to move or replace people with no notification.
You will often return from vacation to find your desk has moved, and coworkers appear and disappear without notice.
It's very isolating t.b.h. I end up not forming relationships with my coworkers now not only because they're either chinks or dicks, but because it will bear no fruit.
>>
>>133899698
>open office
You mean computer warehouse?
>>
File: 11-15-FTfacebook__06.jpg (983KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
11-15-FTfacebook__06.jpg
983KB, 1920x1280px
>>133899991
This
>>
>>133900905
you will have to kill me before you make me work only 4 days a week
>>
Women's brains work in groups, not individually. This is the result of female management and teachers.

Also less of a chance of an individual jerking off on reddit when others are nearby.
>>
File: 1485817295150.jpg (384KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485817295150.jpg
384KB, 1000x1000px
>>133899698
Really glad I am going the trade route. At least if I was in a cubicle I could commit sucide in peace as opposed to shanqua airwrecka mouthing off about more time off for her little niglets because daddy ain't home and I have to watch and hear that while I pull the trigger.
>>
>>133900308
this its just like groupwork in school the nerd does it all and the brainlets take the credit for it
>>
>>133901429
Yeah, you have to pay for Mohammed and his 5 kids to sit around all day plotting your demise.
>>
>>133899698
They think it makes them cooler and less formal.

The reason for this is when you're starting a company you may literally have one room so you all work there, like apple starting in a garage. You're all mates so it's a bit of banter, you wouldn't have it any other way.

Doesn't quite work when you're a company full of people basically selling their time to an organisation and who aren't best mates on a business adventure, though.

I worked in an open plan, it's fucking shit, it's incredibly loud and you have people bothering you the entire time because they can just walk up. Not a conducive environment for getting shit done
>>
u only see this at trendy ((silicon walley firms)) cuz mr goldbeg employs only the best, and best are literal autists and if they had cubicles i bet people would work for years without looking someone in eye and making a convo.
>>
>>133899698
My company just did this. I don't really care since I have an office. But, you can tell the bullpen employees hate it.

I think it starts with tech startups that have little money, cubicles cost a lot of money. So they go for open space and desks to cut down costs. Then as they grow popular, others follow, and then more follow the followers.
>>
>>133901429
This is a really bad sign that you live to work as opposed to work to live. You need real hobbies and things outside of work that you love. If money is the issue then you just consolidated your hours better and you can pick up a second job and get more ahead.
>>
>>133901408
This looks like absolute hell. I would never be able to get any work done.
>>
File: 1497268826715.png (245KB, 470x339px) Image search: [Google]
1497268826715.png
245KB, 470x339px
>>133899698

>90's media always portrayed the "poor wageslave in his cubicle"
>they look spacious and private as fuck now
>>
>>133899698
The company I work for moved into a new office building last year and we have a layout similar to this.
First day I went in I noticed that basically everyone who walks in to the office would be able to see what's on my monitor.
I moved the whole fucking thing and now my back is facing the wall, no one ever said anything.
>>
>>133901188

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but my office is taking the "open office" one step further; coming soon, we won't even have assigned desks. All desks will be shared, the hope is that we will sit with our teams. It's fucking perverse. A lot of people (not me) have personalized their desks and put some items there, but now they'll have to take them all away, we now have to store items in the lockers at the end of every day instead of just leaving them at the desk. I don't get it. Seems like a fucking hassle
>>
>>133899989
This.

I have a PhD and work with a bunch of engineers around me. They are loud and talk all the fucking time. I work with earplug in all the time when I'm at my desk so I can concentrate.

If people want to collaborate they can send me a god damn email and set up a meeting, I am busy and have shit to do on a schedule and you can't just butt in thinking it's okay.
>>
>>133902322
There's always a chance for Zuck sighting.
>>
>>133899698
Trying to get people comfortable with a lack of privacy.
>>
>>133902437

It's amazing isn't it. Those poor oppressive cubicles now look unbelievably luxurious. What the fuck is happening to the world.
>>
>>133901429
If you can create the same value in four days why would you work five?

If I can build a house and have it sold in 4 months why would I want to push it to 5?
>>
>>133899698
>>133899991
They don't want white people to have any place where they can avoid having to be around non-whites.
>>
>>133902573
dehumanization, people are a resource, disposable. not sure if this improves productivity but it sure make people replaceable without after thoughts by managers.
>>
>>133900053
~<3
>>
>>133900905
I fucking wish. My company likes schedual me for 12 12s on a regular basis.
>>
>>133902881
It doesn't make people productive when you have someone trying to get your attention a few desks over going
>Hey. Hey. Hey anon. Hey anon we have a question. Hey anon we have a question about something we didn't pay attention at the meeting.

While I'm trying to get documents together. Jesus. Send and email or get off your fucking pilates ball chair and come talk to me directly at my side instead of shouting over people's heads like a barbarian.
>>
my workplace has an open layout and i cant stand it. i am never at my "desk". i always take my laptop down to the cafeteria where i can have some space. but when i am at my desk, my coworkers never shut the fuck up. im pretty sure i do twice the work of the rest of them.
>>
>>133899698
Office Worker Here
My BGL company that is open office helps me and most of everyone to get trough the day pretty easily because you can have Banter and shit talk all day with my colleges and in that way it increases my productivity and my happiness status
>>
Looks way better if you are the guy who is first to work and last to leave. Makrs the guy that's late look like an idiot.
>>
>>133899890
They spent all of the money on stupid fucking HR studies that conflate productivity with "feelings"
>>
>>133900729
>lucky luke
oh god its been ages
>>
>>133903327
I do that. Plus coffee pauses and shitting at work. In IT you aren't paid to do work, you are paid to be at work.
>>
>>133899698
This is how you know your work is of little importance to the world. Is there nothing at all sensitive enough that these individuals do to allow for such open air workplaces? Jesus.

I would never walk into a colleagues office without knocking even if the door is open, to ensure they weren't on a call on speaker.
>>
>>133903298
I guess it works if you like to hang out with your coworkers. I don't. All my coworkers are liberal hipster cucks.

Bring dividers back.
>>
>>133899698
Its so everyone can see you and knows what you are doing. Prisons use a similar trick to keep an eye on inmates.
>>
>>133899698
IDK but I would be mad if they did this at my office. Personally, I love my cubicle.

in b4 wage cuck, jewish slave, etfc.
>>
>>133903221
I used to be in the open format then I was promoted and gained an office.

The open office is to keep everyone "on task". It creates a sort of social pressure that you follow the norm. If none of your peers leave for lunch, you likely won't leave for lunch either. If your peers all stay 20 minutes late, you will likely stay 20 minutes late too.

It's a way to take away your freedom and turn you into a robot with corporate soul sucking culture of one-upmanship to get more work out of you.
>>
>>133902006
also silicon new age bullshit
probably a magic chrystal in the room too
>>
>>133899698
Advancing collectivism , minimalizes individualism, read ayn Rand
>>
>>133903298
It makes having friendships even harder since you have to keep your conversations at the lowest common denominator to not offend or weird anyone out. It's very dehumanizing.
>>
>>133899698
I work for a software firm (I do DevOps) and I work in an open-office environment.

Personally, I don't mind because everyone I work with is pretty chill and we're not a publically traded company (less scrutiny). I will say this, I used to work for a Fortune 500 company that did the open architecture deal and that shit is infuriating when management tries to implement statistics to go along with it because people will use whatever they can eavesdrop from your screen as political ammo.

tl,dr
It can be cool if you have a cool company and it can be absolute shit if you don't.
>>
>>133903298
It's a work environment that works when everyone is friends. Like old classroom buddies working together and everyone knows everyone else's habits and likes and shit.

It's a fucking disaster when everyone is a stranger and you just want to do some work in exchange for some pay, not get to know the vapid lives of everyone around you.
>>
File: Nose.jpg (2KB, 87x86px) Image search: [Google]
Nose.jpg
2KB, 87x86px
>>133899698
It's cheaper
>>
>>133899698
schools have been both ways for a while.
Really dependent on the teacher and classroom.
Some teachers would even allow you to move desk together with your friends as long as you could keep your mouth shut.
TFW when your the teacher made a new seating chart and your hoping your at the same tables as the super QT

Those offices look like fucking cancer, like something you see at a uni library
>>
>>133900053
Fuck you
>>
I'm in a basement office right now, we're 2 to a large cubicle. Except I'm on graves so I'm the only one in the office.
>>
>>133899698
Cheaper, social pressure to make people work harder and be good goyim
>>
>>133903874
It's more the opposite, you can't have personal conversations with anyone or share deeper feelings/views with coworkers and develop deeper bonds because you have to keep your topics, vocabulary, and opinions to the approval of the lowest common denominator. For example, I can have locker room talk with one or two guys I work with, but I could never do that in an open format. It really sucks the fun out of going to work when I can't be myself and I have to put on this fake robotic persona all day long.
>>
>>133903981
>huffpo """journalist""" mad he's not gettin dem shekels
>>
>>133901717
THIS. Not even memeing but the female management at my company have the dumbest fucking ideas.
>>
>>133899698
>I notice this is going on with schools, too. More and more, the idea of separate desks is fading, now they are putting kids into "pods", which are collections of 5 or 6 desks, in a classroom, in the hopes of more group work and collaboration. Why the fuck is there this obsession with group work? It's creepy.
One man school desks are retarded.
>>
>>133899698
Isn't this what they already do in Japan?
>>
>>133902573
What's your PhD in? Just curious...
>>
File: luckylukesmoking300x300.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
luckylukesmoking300x300.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
>>133903409
smoking is bad, mmmkay, burger?
>>
>>133899698
It's cheaper than cubicles and people can keep an eye on each other, which discourages slacking off.
>>
File: foucault.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
foucault.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>133899698
it's the fucking Panopticon
>>
>>133900053
Glad to see you back
>>
>>133899698
Open Office only works in separated instances when you have teams. Otherwise that shit just encourages everyone to talk about non-work shit.
>>
>>133904099
Female management at my company are constantly organizing pointless team spirit meetings among other dumb moronic shit. Just kill me.

Women are made to just spend and waste money. They're not producers, not even in the work place. They're just consumerist leeches. I don't know how companies approve of these team building exercises, it's a huge waste of company resources.
>>
>>133902322
Yeah, not sure why they think making a bunch of autists who most likely have social anxiety work in an environment like that is a good idea. I know I would never get anything done and would have armpit stains down to my belt in that kind of office.
>>
>>133900664
Just take the polarized film off and wear polarized sunglasses
>>
File: stevejobs1.jpg (619KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stevejobs1.jpg
619KB, 1920x1080px
>>133904454
welcome to the future! How's your tracking chip feeling in your ass today? Do you like all those "security cams" we've installed just recently? And why are you going so often to the toillets, burger? Did you eat Mexican food again? Of course you did! We'll have to talk about this later.
>>
>>133904099
I often wonder how much money has been lost by having women in workplace. I don't think they could possibly provide a net positive in any way.
>>
File: MEEEP-MEEEP.jpg (42KB, 565x351px) Image search: [Google]
MEEEP-MEEEP.jpg
42KB, 565x351px
>>133904830
Depends on the occcupation. For example women were the fucking best telegraph operators (and later cable phone patchers) ever. They also tend to make good secretaries. And coffee.
>>
Holy shit. After seeing. These layouts I would kill my self if I had to work there. It looks like a fucking classroom.
>>
It's female orientated style

men absolutely do not benefit from this system.
>>
>>133903473
I'm sure the big bosses still get their own offices for sensitivity
>>
>>133903643
lel fuck that. I'm standing by the door ready to go at 5 minutes to knock off time
>>
File: junkrat.gif (2MB, 244x194px) Image search: [Google]
junkrat.gif
2MB, 244x194px
>>133902437
>>133902695
It really is. It's so funny to me. Growing up and in adolescence, that was all over the media, it was crazy. Dilbert and Office Space were classics. Everyone hated that shit.

Now, as a young man in the modern job market, I would absolutely fucking love having an office cubicle job. I work well in structured, separate, focused work. I always despised group work, even though I work well with others. Now, with how shit the job market is, both in opportunities and the way they treat workers, I would kill for an office job. You're telling me I have my own space I can control, order, and somewhat decorate, I have privacy, I have my own fucking chair, I don't have to scrounge or put my shit wherever, I am guaranteed 9AM-5PM Monday to Friday, all weekends off, no fucking schedule that changes every fucking week, AND guaranteed time off and sick days?

That's supposed to be bad? That's supposed to be hell? To who?
>>
>>133906168
You'd be surprised, Americans have been trained to be the greatest of good goys. They love to work overtime for free - not even joking man. If you tell people you don't want to they get pissed off. It's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>133903327

My work day ends at 5, and I usually leave right at 5. It makes me embarrassed, because most other people stay extra minutes. But if I'm not getting paid for those minutes, what the fuck is the point? I don't want to stay later than I have to. I have to be there at 8:30 the next morning so I want to leave as soon as my shift is done. And yet everyday at 5 I feel weirdly guilty when I leave.
>>
>>133905786
You mean females talking for 7 hours and maybe on a productive day get maybe an hour of work done.
>>
Also, my office has even set up the coffee spaces around the building to be more "open" and to allow for more "spontaneous encounters" in the hopes that we might talk more about ideas for work. What the fuck
>>
Because managers see that their employees have the slightest modicum of privacy and dignity with cubicles and it drives them insane. They won't stop until the American workplace is like a fucking Foxconn sweatshop, the execs who run the companies go to places like China and see the situation and are impressed, they want to bring that shit to the American workplace.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>133903327
>working for free
>>
>>133906949
Americans aren't chinks. It won't work for long.
>>
People with under 110 IQs absorbed the meme that teamwork is super duper important so now they push it on everyone thinking THAT is why certain teams are more productive than others. They don't understand the Pareto distribution and that certain people, due to their IQ and conscientiousness, are just going to be 100x more productive than everyone else regardless of what you do.

tl;dr normies fucking shit up as normal.
>>
File: based archivist.jpg (109KB, 600x753px) Image search: [Google]
based archivist.jpg
109KB, 600x753px
>>133900053
>>
>>133899698

Illusion of freedom
>>
>>133899698
I think there is some benefit to an open office, but there is a limit to how many people can be in the room. I've done pair programming before and it can help catch a lot of errors and bugs before they even occur when one guy is next to you as you write the code together. However, too many people in the room and it becomes distracting.
>>
>>133900373
>Open office, with no walls to block out sound or co-workers from interrupting your work
>efficiency

Do you even work in a office? It's fucking shit. It's even worst when you have 4 people that have conjoined desk together. There's always that one person that's doesn't know when to shut the fuck up and do their job and then there are others that are offended that you won't engage in every conversation.
>>
File: 1488495214257.gif (2MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1488495214257.gif
2MB, 450x450px
>be me
>have math phd
>first job everyone in r&d have my own office
>fuckyeah.jpg
>personalize it
>everyone in our department has own office
>work hard, no distractions
>comfyaf.png
>current manager (also phd) is replace by MBA fuckwit
>meetings everyday
>nonstop bullshit buzzwords
>has no fucking clue about technical details
>recommends open office
>relocates us to different area in building
>he still has own office
>won't leave us alone
>tells us our statistically sound methods are too expensive
>hey anon look it's says so here in MBA Fuckwit monthly
>give two weeks notice
>old manager hears I am leaving
>mfw I had a job offer at the end of the day
>company fires me because of IP reasons
>cash out vacation

I love where I am now. Back to my own little office, and three years in. I am sad that I'll have to hit the market for a new job again. Open office will be a deal breaker for me.
>>
>>133903559
welcome to the panopticon
>>
>>133899698
>Why are businesses transfering to an "open office" layout?

Because it's cheaper and they know their cucked millennial employees won't try to fight it.
>>
Supposed to encourage teamwork which means 1 person doing all the work while everyone else goofs off

Office work has got to be one of the most hellish things ever especially now since women start bitching that its too cold all the time
>>
>>133899698
So called 'group work' lets the meritless low IQ idiots coast off the smart kids. Same with minorities coasting off whites.
>>
Open plan makes no sense to me, we have email and phones so we don't waste time by walking over to each other and interrupting each others work.

Impossible to prioritize taskes if numbnuts can come and interrupt you every 5 minutes with a dunb question instead of just reading an email.
>>
>>133906183
>To who?
Spoilt Gen Xers, the most entitled bunch of clowns since the Boomers.
>>
>>133908290
Do you have a sister I can marry? I want to get out of this country. Please.
>>
>>133901408
>Some one works for facebook

What exactly is there to work if you are not the Hardware maintenance people?
>>
>>133899698
>in the hopes of more group work and collaboration

I work in ((advertising)) and open office does more harm than good. Most people would want some quiet to concentrate on their new ideas and new ideas are generated by group meetings.
>>
>>133907905
What do you do?
>>
>>133899698
>I don't understand this obsession with having everyone around each other, all the time
No privacy. A cog in the machine.
>>
>>133902793
He'd have to work more hours in a day
>>
>>133899698
At my old company we had one big open office and the CEO, President, and me had private offices on a second floor that looked over the main floor with secretaries.

It was awesome. Getting a nice cup of coffee and standing at the railing looking over the bugman swarm below. Going into my private office and flirting with my secretary. That place knew how to take care of talent.
>>
I'm going to move to France they have 32 hour work weeks and that includes their 2 hour lunch breaks they take each day where they go and drink wine.
>>
>>133909006
This is kind of true.
>>
>>133899698
real answer: it's a simple and well-known way to decrease productivity. all work is makework.
>>
>>133908995
Fuck off you elitist cunt. You're not talented you just lucked out.
>>
>>133899698
I'd fucking KMS if I had to work like that. Fucking normie extroverts.
>>
>>133908476
Lol desperate fag loser. Just get a Mormon 18 year old virgin and learn German.
>>
In the Canadian government it's to cut costs.

They are trying to deal with the noise by implementing noise cancelling speakers but it doesn't work very well.
>>
>>133899698
The women are bored and want to be able to gossip and spy on each other instead of doing their jobs.
>>
Cubicles are for slaves.
>>
>>133899698

Surveillance
>>
>>133909093
No see new salesmen had a yearly quota of $1.5 million in sales and my first 3 months working there I moved 2 million in a quarter so they made me VP of Sales. It was pretty sick desu. Anybody else could have done that if they had as much hustle, not luck.

Now I'm VP of Sales at a startup and the office is a house but the job is a lot more fun and the pay is even better.
>>
>>133909402
What did you sell?
>>
This is why I work at home. I hate shit offices like this.
>>
>>133899698
nearly everything is ran by extroverts
you would be lucky to find a job where your co-workers aren't openly gossiping the entire day
>>
>>133909237
Fick dich, lecken meinen arscholen
>>
File: 1487715579224.png (41KB, 724x524px) Image search: [Google]
1487715579224.png
41KB, 724x524px
>>133908732
My official title is "Statistical Researcher III"

I primarily do the main duties of a statistician, keep up on the relevant literature, and run simulations. Those that have been in the field awhile know that we are a form of "insurance" for the company (don't want embarrassing failures becoming public knowledge for: lawsuits bad PR, scaring off shareholders, etc.), but management with no relevant expertise in our field is becoming a cancer
>inb4 they have a MBA
I don't care about that bullshit. We play a vital role but MBA cucks only care about the bottom dollar and making themselves look better before they look for their next corporate victim to suck dry. My field has been waking up to this menace, thankfully.
>>
For the company I work for, most people have their own offices but the new hires are put into common areas. It's fun but we talk way too much.
>>
>>133899698
>working in an office

Everyone on my team works from home and it's maximum comfy.
>>
>>133901408
This is how much money stealing your personal data and tracking you earns--enough to employ all these people.
>>
So the point of the "open office" is so no one will just browse their private shit using work computer?
>>
>>133899698
I'm in one of these now. I fucking hate it....
First off, if anyone speaks above barely audible the whole group hears it. It's especially bad when people bellow dumb fucking conversations or chat with each other over other people.
Second, people who eat at their desks are annoying. Take that shit to a lunch room.
Third, they usually have these craptastic standing desks or even treadmills under them. Why am I doing that? Why not just take a fucking walk outside and come back during your break?

I'm ok with having these open areas that are contained for teams that normally work together but having the whole office open is nuts. Literally dumb as shit and ineffective.
>>
>>133909504
B2B software
>>
>>133899698

i wish my company had cubicles, i got one deskmate who never stops socializing one on side and on the other side one who never stops eating
>>
>>133902552
It's a way of shitting on the employees, showing them they don't even warrant a steady desk to work from... you're there at their whim, essentially.
>>
File: image_3.png (166KB, 616x461px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.png
166KB, 616x461px
>>133902573
Suck my dick you fucking fagget
>huur I have a PhD. Watch out guys! You're annoying me.
Fuck off.
t. Engineer
>>
>>133906631
Exactly as planned. Good goy.
>>
File: download (82).jpg (11KB, 355x142px) Image search: [Google]
download (82).jpg
11KB, 355x142px
>>133904310
>>
>>133901188
>as management plans for 15% absence.

the fuck happens the day you have 10% absence?
>>
>>133901408
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>133899989
Open office is the worst. You can hear all the roasties talking about their inane bullshit. When you have dividers, it's a lot harder for them to chat at their desks and their talk of thottery is restrained to the break room
>>
>>133902695

The cubicle also has a secondary benefit from the material. The sort of squishy fabric covered sides act as baffle for sound. I guarantee an office filled with cubicles will be more quiet and have considerably less echo than these stupid open concept rooms.
>>
It's easier to surveillance employees with a couple of cameras and microphones you get the whole picture of your company. It's the consequence of the modern tech
>>
>>133902591
>Oh fuck! Zuckerberg?! Oh man oh boy! I hope I get the chance to slurp the cum off his dick as he walks by.
Fuck off. I'd never work for Facebook
>>
File: 301096158976278529.png (9KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
301096158976278529.png
9KB, 128x128px
>>133900053
Thank you. You're very appreciated.
>>
>>133910537
>thot

Don't adopt nigger language.
>>
>>133899698
in-office chemtrailing and general spying are easier when everyone is in one room.
>>
>>133910732
no
>>
>>133900665
This. Not my business to bleed I guess.
>>
File: 1440228421184.jpg (19KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1440228421184.jpg
19KB, 460x276px
>>133910799
>>
File: 1300452577559.jpg (91KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
1300452577559.jpg
91KB, 383x500px
>>133910882
>>
>>133900905
Lel OK.
t. Production engineer

My company only makes money when machines are churning out parts. Same would be for Henry Ford. I'd also rather get paid for 40hr rather than for 16
>>
File: HisMajestyFatBenGarrison.png (545KB, 647x582px) Image search: [Google]
HisMajestyFatBenGarrison.png
545KB, 647x582px
>>133910924
>>
File: KEK_WILLS_IT.png (26KB, 461x86px) Image search: [Google]
KEK_WILLS_IT.png
26KB, 461x86px
>>133910924
>>133911040
>>
>>133911040
I for one welcome our new mountain overlord
>>
File: 1498612782400.jpg (73KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
1498612782400.jpg
73KB, 800x598px
>>133903643
These (((innovations))) are never by accident. They promoted this stuff in the early 2000's when Google was getting big. Everyone wanted to copy it. All it is is manipulation by peer pressure.
>>
>>133900664

>One of the reasons is to make sure employees aren't surfing the internet all day.

I feel like this is the #1 reason they do this with #2 being that it is cheap.
>>
>>133899890
money, root of all evil

its why the wages have remained $10 for years
>>
>>133909807
Yes. This poster gets it.
>>
>>133903874
It's exactly like importing niggers and muslims into first world countries.
>>
File: globalism-truth.png (386KB, 672x554px) Image search: [Google]
globalism-truth.png
386KB, 672x554px
>>133904454
>Panopticon

I COULD NOT REMEMBER THE NAME FOR THE LIFE OF ME< THANK YOU YOU>

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.
>>
>>133909807
Yeah, except that never happens. Not from what I experience. Either workers have 2 windows open for their work and just to browse or they talk more with their neighbors.
>>
File: rufokinsrsm8.jpg (54KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
rufokinsrsm8.jpg
54KB, 612x612px
>>133908702
Banning people for liking anything remotely republican.
>>
>>133903455
>In IT you aren't paid to do work, you are paid to be at work

Can confirm. Currently working a 12 hour nightshift, instead of working I'm watching evo and shitposting on here. If something breaks then I'll have to fix it but most of the time it's really quiet.

I hate it.
>>
>>133899698
When you have a job, you do as you're told.

There is no room for innovation or creativity if you are forced to work at a specific location and be around other people who are also forced to be somewhere.

I'm not as free as you might think.

I too am following orders.
>>
>>133909300
No, open work places are for slaves. Cubicles at least provide an employee a modicum of privacy and respect.

Honestly, trading your time for money is slave like behavior. As you're simply giving someone yourself in exchange for compensation. Whereas masters compensate workers for creating value for them.

That's another thing I love, the master/slave aspect of this world that no one wants to acknowledge, they all think that we can just be thrown into a hodgepodge and be equal to one another. There will always be masters, and always be servants, unless we go into a post-civilized world were small sovereign tribes work together for the good of their own tribe as a whole, making the tribe the master. I wish for this to come true one day. Nationalism is needed and our country should be our master.
>>
>>133909807

>implying coworkers care they arn't just doing the same shit, boss could already walk down the isle and look over cubicle walls

I'm pretty sure it's more about cramming people into less space
>>
Here's what I don't get about these "innovative" tech firms, they have all the tools needed for they're entire workforce to work from home, but yet they're forced to move and work in overpriced Silicon Valley.

Meanwhile some agencies of the federal government are encouraging their workforce to work from home full time. I didn't believe it until a friend that works at the patent office showed me their reports on teleworking and its effects on their employees.

https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/TeleworkAnnualReport2015-508.pdf
>>
>>133899698
>encouraging employees to snitch
>>
>>133899698
In workplaces, it's cheaper.

In schools it varies. In the UK it's down to teachers. Some set out individual desks for two students each, all facing front like they do in America. Others put two or three tables together and seat four or six around them for more discussion.

For more written subjects like philosophy and history, kids are encouraged to discuss the topic with one another. For maths, it tends to be far stricter and people are seated in twos.
>>
File: cfa.jpg (51KB, 500x601px) Image search: [Google]
cfa.jpg
51KB, 500x601px
Interviewed for a software developer job at Chick-fil-A headquarters a few years ago. It was pretty comfy. Every programmer got their own private office. Some of them weren't terribly large, maybe eight by eight, but they all had floor to ceiling walls and a door that closed. The door had a window in it so you didn't have compete privacy but it was a good level of privacy for what you should be doing at work.

There were communal areas near the break areas with couches so people could meet in larger groups without reserving a conference room or just chill out for a bit but there was no high school lunchroom type of thing going on like these open floor plans seem to want.

Ultimately didn't take the job because they're located on the south side of Atlanta near the airport where it is darker than Africa. Still was nice to see some companies still give developers offices.
>>
>>133899698
>not working from home and beating off whenever you want.

Truely you guys live the life of slaves.
>>
>>133899698
We have one of those partial-open offices. Everyone has a 1/4 cubicle with half-walls and it's set up as quadrants. Normally it's not too bad but...

>Loud fucker in the corner talks at yelling-volume
>Mouthbreathers
>Constant munchers/slurpers
>Nasal sounds, throat clearing
>That one dumb fuck that trims his fingernails/toenails every damn day
>The self-proclaimed audiophile that blasts his cheap headphones so loud everyone can hear his shitty music
>Office wanderers have a direct line of sight, so you're always interrupted
>Nowhere to hide to escape from useless meetings
>>
I work in a place like this and I have to agree that it sucks.

There are phones ringing from time to time (business related). People end up talking on the phone with a noisy room.

It basically makes it harder for you to concentrate on your work.
>>
>>133899890
This and they want to monitor you 1984 style.
>>
File: king.jpg (26KB, 529x399px) Image search: [Google]
king.jpg
26KB, 529x399px
>mfw have a private office with my name on the door at work
>>
I work in room with just 3 other guys, comfy and friendly atmosphere

We talk and surf net when there is not much to do

On the other hand in a other part of building there like 20 People in office, very stressed folks
>>
File: SeinfeldTodaysTasksKillSelf.jpg (42KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
SeinfeldTodaysTasksKillSelf.jpg
42KB, 500x373px
>>133901789
>this its just like groupwork in school the nerd does it all and the brainlets take the credit for it
ding ding ding we have a winner

in elementary school i was that brainlet, and in highschool i was that nerd. group work has been and always will be complete shit, specifically because the individual achievements get drowned out.

it's effectively a group punishment even if you personally did everything right, while everyone else failed.
> group of 5 people
> only 1 of 5 sets of work get handed in for marking
> score a perfect ... 20%
>>
>>133915417
Bloke at my work kept on demanding something like that so they put his name on the broom closet door
>>
>>133913297
decadence the Romans knew that too before the fall.
>>
>>133915545
I know that feel

Had to work in a group at school to do a presentation. I did loads of work, nobody else did anything. At the end when we were giving the presentation, nobody had even read the scripts I gave them. The blame all went on me when they fucked up.
>>
>>133899698
I work in one of these.

It's great because it facilitates communication and less bureaucracy. However, the 60-year-old account receivables lady never stops fucking whining. She adopts the most annoying helpless child voice when she runs into a problem and I hope that bitch gets fired.
>>
>>133915625
Mine is a comfy spacious office in a listed 18th century Georgian building (I'm a uni lecturer). The only problem is how hot it gets on the very rare hot day (like the few we've had this year) since there's no A/C.
>>
>>133909684
>that image
that's the first math joke i ever laughed at.
>>
>>133899698
Cheap. Cut costs. Treat them like cattle as you extractt excess labor value
>>
>>133916032
Shit anon, well done lad.

What do you lecture on? Gender studies?
>>
>>133916168
Pedology.

(not related to noncery)
>>
>>133899698
It's cheaper.
It's also ridiculously counter-productive. People always have things they want to talk about that's too short to move to a meeting room but too annoying to type out so they talk to each other. Sometimes, this ends up dragging on. The result is that people who are trying to work cannot because of all the damned noise.
If someone's sick, they're bothering the entire office, not just the neighbors or even nobody.
It's also bad for privacy e.g. when handling confidential documents.

But HEY! COST CUTTING!
>>
>>133899698
open offices used to be the normal layout. Later, companies switched to cubicles; thinking that reducing employee socialization might increase productivity. Instead, office drones used the extra privacy to goof off. Now open offices are back to curb this behavior. They will never solve the real problem which is that working in an office is boring and unfulfilling.
>>
>tfw work either in the field or from home

Feels great.

I wouldn't mind a cubicle, but yeah, I don't think I'd like an open office layout at all. Then again, I'm probably somewhere on the autism spectrum.
>>
>>133903396
Is that what Mr. Goldberg tells you when he tearfully tells you you aren't getting a bonus this year?

Into their pockets. That's where the money goes.
>>
>>133899989
>/pol/ likes the huffington post when it supports their interests

Fuck the huffington post. Will not read anything they publish
>>
>>133899698
because the useless retards spawned by business schools latch onto new "management strategies" like women latch onto new diets. one fad comes along and is big for a while (atkins, open floorplan) then they latch onto something else. few of them have any idea what they are actually doing so they attribute their successes to these "strategies" instead of the competence of their underlings.
>>
File: 1480371498767.gif (852KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1480371498767.gif
852KB, 300x225px
>>133916709
thank you! someone finally sees it for what it is as I typed out. >>133907905 >>133909684
>>
>>133899698
All people do now is talk about openly:
D&D
Star Wars game they play on their phones and pads
what dietary restrictions they now have
etc.
I was better off when the office was quiet in cubeland.
faggots
>>
>>133899698
Due to the the internet and social media, a cargo cult has formed around the concept of connectivity.

"Deep Work", by Cal Newport, argues against the idea.
>>
>>133899698
That looks fucking awful for introverts.
>>
File: JxWmXr0.jpg (99KB, 799x740px) Image search: [Google]
JxWmXr0.jpg
99KB, 799x740px
Reasons listed in this thread that are not true:
>It's cheaper
No, they are spending money to knock down walls and refurb places into open offices. One place I worked spent $500k knocking down walls so that all the offices became one big open office.

>It stops people browsing the internet and so increases productivity
It may stop people browsing internet but studies show it DECREASES productivity. At least for most kinds of work.

List of correct reasons:
>Makes it easier to fire people, move people, no attachment to working space
Yes, at I worked at IBM and they even oversubscribed the people to the number of desks, assuming that every day there'd be at least a few people at training or away sick or working somewhere else. Frequently there were not enough desks for people so we'd have to cozy up, with laptops, and share a single work space.

>It's trendy and HR people / management are circle-jerking assholes
I made this up actually. But that's a reason, they don't think, they don't know, it's just a trend and there's always some jerk who wants to "make a difference" and get promoted

>Cover their ass to prevent harrassment cases
THIS, in some cases I saw, was the primary reason. With increased diversity, increased women in the work force, increased SJW courses that we all have to do every 6 months about discrimination etc it has changed the landscape. People are hypersensitive, they will report each other for anything, office politics gets involved. This is a huge risk to management, they don't want to get sued or rock the boat.
Putting everyone out in the open reduces "he said she said" cases and complaints because there will usually be multiple witnesses. Also does reduce the real harassment.
>>
>>133917505
That place is amazing compared to where I work. We're like battery hens, tiny desks all squeezed together. No personal space.
>>
>>133900905
I work 4 Days a week but 10hrs a Day.
8 hours is not enough Time to do what I need to finish My work every Day. I fucking love it.
>>
>>133914586
>Chick-fil-a
>not Chic-fil-a
So this must have been after the timeline shift

>>133917591
>multibillion dollar company
>doesn't know what it's doing
>just following trends

If you really believe this you are a fool. As another anon in here said, it's >>133904454
the Panopticon. If you don't know what that is you need to read up.
>>
>>133899698
The open office was a concept that worked for development teams, when you had 4-5 programmers who needed to talk to get a complex feature out. It does not work when you scale to the entire organization.
>>
>>133899698
How am I supposed to look at cute cat pictures on the internet without people knowing now!?
>>
>>133899698
It's the liberal wetdream: everybody with a smile all day (no matter that you are thinking on murdering them all), complying with their SJW etiquette, and nothing to hide, no privacy because it's the current year!
>>
>>133899991
I'm in am open office and it is easier to talk through issues with coworkers and overhear other stuff going on in the business. However I mostly send emails to communicate because it's easier to have a record of things.
>>
>>133916473
This anon gets it.

I work in Human Resources and part of my job as the only man and a senior manager is quashing shitheels who read something in a managerial journal and think it would just be a GREAT(TM) idea if we implemented it right away.

Business trends come in cycles.

Best way to figure out what you should be doing is to walk over to your good employees and ask them what they need to do their job better.
>>
>>133899698
It's jewing on multiple fronts. First, they want to find out if you're wasting company time and resources, like spending hours tweeting. Second, it saves them shekels because they don't have to buy partitions anymore. Third, it facilitates peer pressure in the workplace - it's a psychology thing. You're exposed and everyone is potentially watching, making you more conscious and more likely to suppress yourself or even try to fit in, even if you don't really want to. It's stressful, especially for a /pol/ack who is already hiding their power level.
>>
>>133899698
It's all about mutual oversight, nothing else. All the spontaneous collaboration bullshit is meant to made this sound cool.
Everything even closely related to privacy is (((their))) enemy. That's what this trend is all about.
>>
>>133902006

Yes, and just imagine how productive they could be if they could drown out the rest of their coworkers, and not have to look people in the eye and make conversation.
>>
>>133899890

to keep you from fapping at your desk in your private office
>>
>>133917948
>If you really believe this you are a fool
Have you worked in one?
It depends on the company of course but some are no better than government agencies. There are so many stupid decisions made, ill-informed, but hot-shot young business grads who are climbing the ladder and won't be around in 2 years to be accountable for their decisions.
Of course in their "core business" these companies are usually pretty good, but so much bullshit goes on, so much waste, you wouldn't believe it. I wonder how they stay in business when working in those environments.
And when I say "trend", I'm not talking about the same thing as trends in fashion.
There will be business cases, there will be justifications made by the proponents of these ideas, but it will all be cherry picked, it will be heavily intertwined with bigger political agenda's and empire-building aspirants in the organisation. There will be articles on the current corporate trend (there are many, not just open offices) in all the business magazines, HR magazines. And by the time the CEO's and powerful people are clued in on the trend it's already time to look for sometning else to present in a power point presentation, which your colleagues and superiors have never heard of, to make you look intelligent and innovative.
>>
>>133901408
They could have at least finished constructing the interior of the building first.
>>
>>133918356
No. This is just retarded, my productivity skyrockets when I'm completely alone. That's how most NEETs are, whether they are aware of it or not.

Want oversight? It's called ENTERPRISE REMOTE DESKTOP.
>>
spend all this money trying to find out how to make people more efficient, when they could multiply their efficiency by merely not hiring women
>>
>>133917948
>>multibillion dollar company
>>doesn't know what it's doing
>>just following trends
>If you really believe this you are a fool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYgx6YslQ1k

sure they never fall for retarded trends or hysteria
>>
I work in an open office and I can easily walk around at any given time and see at least half the people on reddit/facebook/youtube. Some of the managers started complaining about noise so they had contractors come in to install a "sound dampening" system that's supposed to play white noise on overhead speakers. Then our division VP decided to move to our floor, so they converted one of the precious few conference rooms into his private office.
>>
>>133900053
You're back!
>>
I spend like 60% of my time at work lurking 4chan or watching stupid shit on youtube. it's been that way for 2 years already, I would be fucked in an open office.
>>
>>133902145
That's me, I've got over 450 paid holiday hours I haven't used. I get anxious when not at work. It sucks.
>>
Surveillance
>>
>>133899698
This happened like 10-15 years ago at most businesses. Open concepts are supposed to encourage communication and cooperation
>>
>>133899698

that sucks. how are you supposed to scratch, fart and pick your nose while creeping on facebook?
>>
>>133919569
ding ding ding ding ding..
>>
>>133900905
>people actually believe this
>>
>>133899698
>Why are businesses transfering to an "open office" layout?
1. So they can an eye on you.
2. So you don't jerk off to porn on company time.
>>
>>133899698
cheaper infrastructure, the psychology of it, and also primes society for more sweatshop like conditions.
>>
>>133899698
I could never get anything done in a pajeetchang farm like that.

I need my music going, I need my autistic closed space, I dance around and talk to myself.
>>
>>133899698
Its an A+ practice but you gotta be able to direct the added energy and keep people happy. If the place sucks there will be mutiny, people will collaborate to gtfo and cuck ya.
>>
>>133900905
Ive been saying we need a 4 day 36 hour work week for years now. Can we get some economists to work this shit out, we can have 3 different alternating weekly shifts to make sure companies are still open 5-7 days a week depending on need
>>
>>133920252
>I dance around and talk to myself.

Holy shit same here. It really helps my thinking if I can pace/dance around the room and blabber alone to myself. Its hard to think just sitting down for 8 hours
>>
Had a good job doing motion graphics at an advertising agency. Had a pretty dope cubicle, too (or as dope as a fucking cubicle can get.) It was right next to the window. It took several years until I was able to snake into that lovely little office space. ...a couple months later, our CEO thinks we need the 'open office' layout. So he schedules a meeting and tries to sell everyone on how great it will be. Everyone thinks it sucks ass. He's legit taken aback that we weren't having it. He has people come in and gut the office any way. All of a sudden, we're working in a panopticon spy grid where every fucking person can look and see what every other fucking person is doing at any given time. Meanwhile the CEO is located in the perfect spot that gives him the ability to spy on practically every one. After a week with that bullshit, and after 6 years with the company. I told my boss it was bullshit and walked out.

...totally fucked myself career-wise for quite a while, but it was worth it. They're trying to turn us into fucking machines, plus it saves them money. It's still fucking stupid though, as I have to imagine the quality of work drops considerably, as it's uncomfortable as fuck.
>>
>>133899698
Happy cows
>>
>all these office cucks posting it
I may work 60-80 hours a week but I have my own van and phone and can do whatever the fuck I want. I'll never go back to a office, it's not worth it. Humans aren't meant to be cooped up in buildings doing nothing.

Also no office worker really works, it can spy on you and it just like you has way too much fucking around time. Office workers do what I call work maybe 2 hours a day, women maybe 1 hour.
>>
>>133920447
>Can we get some economists to work this shit out,
They've been saying that for years but MBA Fuckwit monthly subscribers don't believe it because their professors said it was bunk.
Thread posts: 235
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.