[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

smartphone democracy

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: smartphones-myanmar.jpg (523KB, 2000x1332px) Image search: [Google]
smartphones-myanmar.jpg
523KB, 2000x1332px
>“Suddenly because we’re on internet,” she said, “people realize what the rest of the world looks like. Now it’s like everybody on the street is talking about Trump. A few years ago, nobody knew what was happening in the next town.’’

This is from an article about smartphones in Myanmar.
http://archive.li/jaQgA
Smartphone is the cheapest way to get on the internet, and it's fascinating to see how can affordable technology spread so quickly, almost liberating people.

Meanwhile, in the US:
The Smartphone is a threat to democracy and human life on Earth
http://archive.li/Np1AH

>The Internet played a bigger role in the 2016 election than ever before, and the first instinct over the last week has been to chastise Facebook for the spreading of fake news, using algorithms that don’t care about facts as much as likes and clicks. Responsibility for the post-truth era falls on Silicon Valley’s profit motive that let lies about Muslims and immigrants run wild in American minds. Recriminations against Trump voters have been swift and severe. But that misses the real villain: The Smartphone.

What do you think? Is it giving people freedom, or just deluding them? Obviously, it's both, but how do you feel about it and what do you see?
>>
nigga i ain't seen shit
>>
Yes, free information is a wonderful thing, which is why the Marxists are trying to censor it and kill net neutrality. If all it takes to realise Marxism is literally evil is to simply Google Venezuela, then they won't have a very good time convincing more useful idiots to create more useful idiots.
>>
File: mencken.jpg (141KB, 728x960px) Image search: [Google]
mencken.jpg
141KB, 728x960px
we're learning that people themselves are a danger to democracy, or rather
DEMOCRACY IS A FAILED CONCEPT
>>
File: 1484252578220.png (281KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484252578220.png
281KB, 900x500px
>>133319856
>>
>>133319554
That second article is interesting. It does not call for censorship or even just something like tweaking algorithms, but it vilifies technology and calls everything problematic. It does not sound like a warning, but more like ludditish rambling of a rustled Clinton voter.

It could be a nice piece about mass communication and propaganda, but it's just too charged with current americal politics, like
>The devices themselves are the source of political radicalization and the possessed looks I’ve seen in the eyes of voters this year, especially Trump’s

It tries not to be completely one-sided, saying
>But it’s an illusion that let voters turn candidates, including Clinton, into their own imaginary friends.
And it's a fair point.
>Through history, leaps in communications technology have precipitated periods of warfare.
There is something about it.

It feels like they're afraid to call for censorship outright, but at the same time they just can't stand their "enemies" and can't bear the thought of hearing them and living along with them.
>>
>>133321799
>they just can't stand their "enemies" and can't bear the thought of hearing them and living along with them.
This.
Currently talking to a blue pilled faglord who said
>HL Mencken was like, shamelessly racist. Not even by my admittedly sometimes loose definition of racism. He legit thought black people were inferior and talked at length about it.
He cannot fathom such claims and instantly tunes them out, he doesn't give them a moment to begin to take them into account. He just ignores them in total.

It's an interesting conundrum we've found ourselves in, where the have's and have-not's are not economic, but educational. Often, self-educational.

perhaps a better analogy would be this.
>There are the "Have-ignored scientific data"
>and there are the "Have-Not-Ignored scientific data"

It's a fascinating time.
I remember when Republicans were the ignorant ones, but now?
It's the liberals.
>>
File: IMG_0176.png (265KB, 470x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0176.png
265KB, 470x282px
Wisdom missile: smartphones, together with the internet and social media, have allowed humanity to tap into our collective consciousness and psychically affect the material world.

The world as we knew it did end in 2012 - humanity is no longer constrained by the laws of probability, and magic has returned to the world. Memes are spells, and autistic shitposters are wizards for real.
>>
>>133322156
>instantly tunes them out
It's an interesting skill we have developed. Like we're "not seeing" ads, we can mentally block anything we don't like. Personalized everything makes it even easier. It's a natural thing though. But it slowly shifts from "ignoring" to "erasing". Something-something-alt-right erasure. LOL

>liberals
I'd like to think about it as a general perversion going on. Both "sides" would've been happy to have it their way.
But, there's CNN, for example. They're a biggu news channel, biggu media. What can we do, take over them? Extort them to talk in a "correct" way?
There's something about power and gullibility. For me, any attempt to talk sense into people basically concludes with unpopularity of it, and ultimate futility of it all, be it on global scale or not.
>>
>>133323344
>yfw social media influencer becomes a real job in 2020 and you could be working on that position in state facilites
>never mind 2020, right now
>>
I prefer Conservative Democracy
>>
File: 1499810087711.jpg (22KB, 395x428px) Image search: [Google]
1499810087711.jpg
22KB, 395x428px
>>133319856
Not if we implement this
>>133326238
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.