[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are you doing to stop decay?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Is it a flaw in our capitalistic societies that let these old, most of the time, very beutiful buildings rot to the ground?
It seems like the interest in preservation is very low everywhere in the west, look at Detroit and Chicago and all
over the northeast in America, tons of extremely beautiful buildings that have just been let to be pillaged and rot.

Why are we doing this? Why are we like pathetic locust when it comes to the monuments of our civilization?
It has to be new, it has to be steel and glass and it has to be more more more and foreign investors want bigger bigger bigger towers.At the end of the day it seems like the ownership of the land has been robbed from our ancestors, carved up
and distributed in pie charts and percentages to whoever, regardless of pedigree, that can flash enough cash.
Is the toil and sweat and dreams of our fathers just a commodity to be toyed with, played like an instrument, like
a cheap fisher price toy that when broken is thrown in the trash?

Is this human nature or have we been deceived?
>>
>>133303045
bump. Let's get away from BLACKED threads and shit like that
>>
Old buildings are beautiful.
At this point in my life I understand why city denote them as having preservation status and forbid demolishing them.
>>
>>133303595
I consider myself a capitalist(by Swedish standards I'm basically Ancap), but there are some things in the world that I don't think should be for sale.
>>
File: jukebox.jpg (27KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
jukebox.jpg
27KB, 300x450px
I know a restaurant that had one of these in every booth. They were original from the 1950s and in good working condition. Then in the 2000s the restaurant was sold and remodeled. They tore the jukeboxes out and now it is a hipster health food restaurant. A piece of neighborhood history destroyed. It makes me sick. It's like torching a beautiful 1950s car. Gone forever to individual collectors.
>>
Buildings used to be built to last. Nowadays, unless its at special request, or a very special case, buildings are built as cheaply and as quickly as possible. This is mainly obvious in residential building projects, but can be seen in more commercial buildings in the architecture and simplistic design.

Its a symptom of a capitalist society. Build cheap and fast to maximise profit, make sure it stands for 20 years, and by the time it eventually collapses or starts to decay, you are long gone with cheque in hand.

I live in a part of Australia where we used to have very beautiful victorian style houses down every street. Now big Chinese business men are monopolizing the market and building these cheap ugly box houses that look like they belong in a lego movie everywhere.
Most people think they are gross but the Asians love it.
>>
They will say that there are no paying tenants for these old buildings.
There are newer, more desirable buildings.
Maybe those newer buildings were really not needed? Maybe the old one would do if maintained? There are still old buildings in use all over Manhattan.
>>
>>133303045

A capitalist would charge a fee and turn that building into a museum. Just like we currently do. This allows the capitalist to maintain the building. If in spite of charging a fee the capitalist cannot maintain the building, it is because people were not really interesting in that building in the first place.
>>
>>133304319
Small, well-crafted Victorian homes have been knocked-down all over San Francisco and replaced with three and four story box-shaped condos that take up the entire lot. People don't realize what is steadily being destroyed around them.
>>
>>133304319
>buildings are built as cheaply and as quickly as possible
not true; they're built as ugly as possible. if the architect can siphon away billions for themselves, all the better.
>>
>>133303045
Somebody bought that building and had new windows installed throughout
>>
>>133303045
It's sad to see old features disappear, but it most certainly our nature as humans to attempt to progress. To keep true societal decay from occuring one must work hard in career, family life, and on ones self. It's fucking hard work and difficult to balance. If enough people had the mentality to do that the world would be a better place. To maintain your property and put in work to upgrade it over time contributes much more to society than buying a new luxury car. It affects the mentality of a community
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.