[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much has New York changed over the years?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: New-York-City-Skyline-and-SOL.jpg (116KB, 436x275px) Image search: [Google]
New-York-City-Skyline-and-SOL.jpg
116KB, 436x275px
I keep reading about how it used to be such a raw, grimy, crime ridden, Los Angeles tier city, but these days it seems like such a clean and polished place.

In films from the 70s and 80s it seems to be portrayed as this underworld of scum and villainy, kinda like LA still does in films.

Has it changed all that much? And how?
>>
>>133270814
Not at fucking all dude. I just went back for the first time in years and it was dirtier than I remember it being, and I remember it being dirty as shit.
>>
>>133270814
>Los Angeles tier city,
LA was nice city not that long ago
NY has been full of shit tier immigrants forever
>>
Crime has gone down due to the cops being tougher and less corrupt. But its pretty much the same shit except a lot cleaner. I wish I would have been my age in the 80s here, I could have bought blocks of brownstones in Brooklyn and Harlem, and sat on them until now.
>>
>>133270814
Gentrification is pushing minorities out and college educated kids of suburbanites are moving in and renting them.

However 65% of the city is still nonwhite so you might want to avoid some bad parts at night assuming you ever go there.

that being said its gotten safer in the last 27 years.

t. live in NYC
>>
>>133270814
I wanna wake up, in a city that doesnt sleep and by the king of hill top of the listttt these LITTTLE TOWN BLUESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ny in winter looks comfy
>>
>>133271607
>ny in winter looks comfy
Nah it doesnt. trees are dead in winter and theres no leaves combined with cold water makes things look depressing. if i could waste a wish id replace all the trees here with evergreens so theres leaves all year around.
>>
>>133271152
Really? All I hear about Los Angeles is that it's a complete shithole inhabited by the worst kinds of human being alive.
>>
>>133271845
>Really? All I hear about Los Angeles is that it's a complete shithole inhabited by the worst kinds of human being alive.
Correct it is but it didnt go to complete shit until the early 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a5WxgysHO4
>>
It still dirty and smells like shit here 24/7 but in general its filled with well-to-do college aged kids from the midwest who fetishize poverty and in a vain attempt to distance themselves from their boring and uninteresting upbringings. This is mixed with a smattering of shithole black neighborhoods filled with literal garbage people that you'd never accidentally wander into unless youre one of the aforementioned midwest cornballs who willing lives in said shithole neighborhoods for cool white guy points.

I only in this city because its easy to find work and make decent money if you keep your spending in check.
>>
File: IMG_0732.jpg (19KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0732.jpg
19KB, 275x183px
Chicago is starting to look a lot like 80s NYC

Shootings and homicides are returning to 90s levels while the population is decreasing due to high taxes. Aside from the north side the city is one giant ghetto war zone fought by the south and west side.
I predict the next massive race riots will happen here
>>
>>133270814
Majority opinion of people who live there seems to be that they're glad for the draconian measures that cleaned it up from the old movie portrayal. I only have memories of visiting in the wake of that, and I'd say toward the late 80s up through the early 00s it maintained a pleasant combination of old fashioned grit and really being pretty safe and family friendly if like any big city you had any kind of sense in how to navigate a city.

These days it's increasingly uncrecognizable, due in large part to the usual kinds of things /pol/ complains about, demographic shift, degeneracy, change in character and identity. That against a backdrop of being in many ways over-polished. It'd rate it as going downhill again.
>>
>>133270814
NY used to be plagued with petty crime, muggings and pick pocketing and all sorts of shit that sometimes ended with victims being beaten or killed. Eventually it got so out of hand they basically had to double the size of the police force and start patrolling the streets at night because tourists were just getting robbed constantly.
>>
>>133271780
That's the best part though. The bleak grey sky, low sun angle, and relatively flat land makes for all kinds of colors of the sky, and then you have all these sharp black dead deciduous tree branches against it.

It's like something from an art museum.
>>
>>133274204
>>133274051
>>133271256

Crime took a nosedive approximately 20 years after abortion was legalized. This is not a coincidence.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.