[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of living?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

File: p03xsw49.jpg (96KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
p03xsw49.jpg
96KB, 1280x640px
It's pointless, and then we die. But before that we bring a bunch of kids into this pointless world against their will, just so they can suffer and have to deal with the struggle of life. And for what? What's the end game to this plan? There is none. It would be better if all humans were just killed off or were sterilized. Prove to me otherwise. What is gained by humans continuing to exist?
>>
you're right but /pol/ is full of delusional psychopaths that want to spawn people to fuel their own delusions
>>
>The dead only know one thing: that it is better to be alive.
>>
File: smughippo.png (89KB, 700x555px) Image search: [Google]
smughippo.png
89KB, 700x555px
>>133178237
>implying sleep isn't better than living a meaningless life
>>
What is gained by humans ceasing to exist?
>>
Lol at everyone who thinks there has to be a point.
>>
File: 1497217055473.gif (178KB, 764x511px) Image search: [Google]
1497217055473.gif
178KB, 764x511px
>>133177856
>into this pointless world against their will, just so they can suffer and have to deal with the struggle of life

Raise up two trees, build a glass house around one and one outside. The one outside is left to suffer, the sun never hits it quite right, pests seek to destroy it, the wind and the rain beat and batter it. It suffers and becomes twisted and misshaped.

The tree in the glass house is tended to lovingly to the point were mirrors are used so the sun is seen to be evenly throughout the tree. It knows not pain and is given just the right amount of water and nutrients and is beautiful and symmetric in every way.

Remove the glass house one day and ask yourself what would happen. On the first day a strong breeze rustles up. The ugly tree that has seen the roughest of winds does not notice it, but the tree from the glass house is sundered then felled.

God lets us suffer because he loves us, because he wishes us to become stronger and capable of standing by his side.

>It's pointless, and then we die
You must ask yourself if you have the power to chose. IF you believe you do then you must accept you cannot prove nor disprove the existence of god. If you did either then you could not live in a universe without free will. It matters not the circumstances of ones life it matters what you chose to do with it.

If you believe you have no purpose then you have none if you do then you do.
>>
>>133177856
Its all a illusion, simply a mechanism for gene propagation.
For ((them)) we are a source of income.
Lead a selfish hedonistic life, its the only way to be truly happy.
Also clean your room faggot
>>
>>133177856
Existence is a hell of a better plan than nonexistence. Even if you think they are equal in misery, existence allows the agency to improve it, nonexistance does not, meaning existence is superior.

The world is without inherent meaning. But that does not mean you cannot assign it meaning.
>>
>>133178394

It's not sleep. It's nothingness. It's not existing at all. How can you possibly believe that it is better for you not to exist than to exist? How do you believe that you, already in a state of existence, have the capacity to make that comparison?
>>
>>133177856
>babbies first existential crisis
I remember when I had my nihilism phase too. It'll pass.
>>
>>133179778
Pleasure is the path of self destruction, pain is the path of joy. To seek pleasure today is to trade tomorrows contentment.
>>
File: vs.jpg (39KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vs.jpg
39KB, 640x360px
>>133177856
Jean Paul Sartre: Being precedes essence. In other words, you have to make up your own meaning.

Albert Camus: Life is hopelessly absurd and even attempting meaning is futile.

pick one
>>
File: 2308_520.jpg (12KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
2308_520.jpg
12KB, 520x520px
>>133177856
This here is a black pill thread.

I mostly agree OP, there isnt any purpose in doing what we do. Look at every living thing on this planet, its sole purpose is to survive and procreate.

We are no different, the only problem is is that were intelligent enough to realize this. That there is no higher purpose we serve. This is why humans make up shit like gods and heavens and hells. To make ourselves think there is something more. Its basically to help us try and enjoy our pointless lives until time is up.
>>
File: 1492971656217.gif (490KB, 382x498px) Image search: [Google]
1492971656217.gif
490KB, 382x498px
>>133177856
To meme, what else?
>>
File: 4L_JnA2Eyy3.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
4L_JnA2Eyy3.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
I wish i was a retard with 10 of IQ so i wouldn t ask myself these questions every god damn time
>>
File: NihlChart.jpg (526KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
NihlChart.jpg
526KB, 2048x1366px
>>133177856
>>
>>133177856
Life seems to be pretty rare in the universe so that makes it worth it to keep it going, at least by our standards of value.
>>
>>133177856
Not everyone's life is as shitty as yours, so let me guess, no friends, no girlfriend, no career or dead end job right?
>>
>>133182679
You can be butt hurt towards OP all you want, but all that you listed: friends, gf, career etc...

whats the point of any of that in the end? in the grand scheme of things? absolutely nothing.

>Im in STEM and I make 100k a year huhuhuh.

big deal, you still be dead at about 80yrs old and all the things you collected due to your materialistic ways will mean nothing.
>>
>humans die off
>all domestic animals die including farm animals
>nuclear plants go dormant and fall apart
>buildings disintegrate and collapse
>natural disasters (large die off of plants and trees from forest fires)
>oil rigs stop working and large spills occur killing ocean life
>ocean becomes acidic
>acid rain
>land animals die
>bacteria survive but only strong ones
>world is fucked
>>
File: coool.jpg (165KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
coool.jpg
165KB, 640x960px
>>133177856

We are the universe attempting to understand itself.

Kill yourself is quitting on this glorious mystery.
>>
>>133183318
wat?

Im pretty sure nature would just eventually take over. The worlds "life" isnt dependent on us.
>>
>>133182679
He's probably actually quite comfortable, and wracked with ennui. Such people usually fall victim to nihilism or social justice fauxlosiphy. That or they turn into "I just got tickets to Tommorowland after retiring at 28, and all it took was a small loan of a million dollars from my dad. Hard work pays, bro."

In any case, everyone until the early 20th century knew we were here to learn and to grow and to perfect our inner selves. They knew, be they Indian, Arab, German, Chinese Cherokee and so on, that this world was a school, and not a playground.
>>
>>133183779
And it was not until this definite and eternal purpose to all existence came into conflict with the profits and proliferation of business and political (monetary) entities, that life became about materialism, that materialism became, as much as it tries to cloak itself in science and deny religious ideas, the new religion of the new industrial, mass society.
>>
>>133184099
With this new society, came mass feelings of de-individualization and existential dread, among many people.

And what else could there possibly be, for anyone who dares to let themselves fall out of the drunken material stupor we are to be kept in? What else does the individual have, when he is instructed from birth that all nonscientific principles are subjective and the scientific ones will probably change in an ad-hoc fashion, in his lifetime?
>>
>>133184573
The point being, that materialism and pliant modernity
>my house/apartment
>my redundant corporate career
>my tv
>my fashion car
>my beer and chips
>my inoffensive but pretends it's edgy music
Are all dead ends to place value in. These material things and small, profane ideas are not valuable, in the way we place value upon them.

Until you observe the rhythms and eternal clockwork, hidden in plain sight around you, and recorded throughout all of human history, and known to be obvious to all peoples up until very recently, until you see beyond the most base description you are handed of the world around you, you're simply living in an open air prison of which you are voluntarily staying.
>>
Humans are still evolving. When humanity reaches its final form you'll understand "the point"
>>
>>133177856
It's funny this is brought up. A few nights ago I had a dream about my great grandfather that pertains to this subject. I will state this before I go on. Life is suffering, and to think otherwise is foolish.
>inb4 blog post
It's relevant

My great grandfather was a man that ran away from the family farm at the age of 14 to go work as a shipbuilder. Left the mules in the field. Later in life he would go on to bootleg moonshine to hotels in Baltimore and DC. He was a man with a great temper that lived a hard life riddled with questionable decisions. I met and got to know him a few years before he died when I was a child and heard him tell all of those stories of adventure and stupidity. I remember them well.

In this dream I walked out of an old barn to see a sunset over a tabacco field next to a body of water. On a gravel road was my great grandfather. He was a younger man closer to my age, standing next to a black sedan of the prohibition era. He had a rifle in his hand and was looking out over the water watching the sun go down, overhead a full moon was coming up. He looked at me, and all he said was "get in the car boy, we're going on a run"

I just stood there, and thought to myself that refuse embracing the inevitable is in itself pure vanity. To detest suffering, death, tragedy is childish. It is just giving up when you yourself can create your own value in the struggle. Sure, it is a risk. But what is the alternative? A masturabatory lifestyle or suicide. Carve your own existence from the short time you have, create a lasting impact on the people around you so that they themselves may be inspired to do the same. Embrace the suck. I reached for the door handle, then woke up.

Get in the car, you're going on a run. You may die, you may get arrested, but you are existing in the struggle and trying to create something from it for not only yourself, but for others. That has a lasting impact.
>>
>>133177856

>What's the point of living?

To serve Israel.
>>
>>133177856
https://u.nya.is/xjahfo.mp4

Destroy a sense of a nation's identity, and they lose the will to go on.
You cannot live forever, but your race can.
>>
>>133177856
nihilism is: The question why? has no answer

nihilism is what we are living in -- Nietzsche saw this a hundred years ago
>>
> point of living

To acquire virtue, the only good for which there is no excess, and hence whose acquisition is never bad.

I thought we'd been over this already.
>>
>>133177856
At least remember this.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOREVER
Even physicist have hypothesize that a rip will happen in the fabric of space that will consume the Universe. It could've happened already and it has yet to reach us or it'll happen in an unimaginable amount of time after Heat Death.
>>
>>133186413
For every 1 person that gets virtue-pilled 10 teens who's parents made them finally get their first job, discover anarcho-communism and (misunderstand) Nietzsche.
>>
>>133186076
Great post
>>
>>133177856
point to living is what you make it anon. My reason to continue is my dog, but sometimes I want to kill dog so I have to find other things too.
>>
>>133186875

True or false, this statement has nothing to do with the truth.
>>
>>133177856
death doesn't exist retard, don't stop growing
>>
>>133177856
Make a case that humans are a net negative to the equation you've presented before telling me to justify that we can provide a net positive.
Put another way, you demand sterilization and death, but why should such efforts even be made if they don't matter anyways, in fact, why should you not practice what you preach before demanding that I should accompany you to hell?
>>
>>133177856
The question isn't 'Why live?' but 'Why not?' You are already here, having no choice in the discussion. The alternative, whether eternal slumber or an afterlife, is, so far as we know, an irreversible change. So, the wager is whether you accept the only reality you have ever known and find a purpose to work towards, or do you choose to walk into the void, favoring the unconscious forever silence?

Those with terrible, untreatable afflictions I can understand choosing the void. Able bodied people of sound mind should realize they have already won just by being here. It was luck that placed you, of all the potential combinations of your father's millions of sperm and your mother's hundreds of eggs, here in the first place. Don't waste it on being selfish. You may never see the stars colonized or a peaceful Earth but you may be able to contribute in some ways towards that end. We our part of the latest link in a chain that is so old it is unfathomable to us. We are given purpose by continuing the chain, even though we don't know exactly where it is headed or why. Breaking this chain out of some ignorant apathy is pointless when some day you will die and enter the void anyway.

Tldr; don't be a bitch. You'll die someday anyway so do something with your life while you can.
>>
>>133188190
>Are our....fucking phonefag autocorrect

Brb killing myself now
>>
File: 1497894417773.jpg (378KB, 1239x795px) Image search: [Google]
1497894417773.jpg
378KB, 1239x795px
>>133188356
S
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.