[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will people start living in their cars en masse? This is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: A_literal_teardown.jpg (245KB, 1310x1417px) Image search: [Google]
A_literal_teardown.jpg
245KB, 1310x1417px
When will people start living in their cars en masse? This is a literal teardown in a decent neighborhood.
>>
What the fuck.
>>
Where the fuck is this? 90210?
>>
>>132958117
I'm living in a cozy Freightliner Sprinter I made into a nice little off grid RV. Made it liveable, moved down south, bought a plot of land for 5k USD, bought a motorcycle once i got there, building my house on weekends. Only way to do it imho, even just throwing down a doublewide on a plot of land temporarily and selling it later.
>>
>>132958726
Texas
>>
>>132959064
Wait what

a 5 year old 4000 square foot mc mansion with a pool in a great Texas zip code costs less than 500k
>>
>>132959164
I bought 2 acres of raw land in TX for 5k. In bumblefuck admittedly, but I want to be left the fuck alone.
>>
>>132959008
I wish they made solar panels for car roofs that wouldn't make it noticable. Enough power to run an air conditioner and a laptop for 12 hours a day. You could throw a small matress in the back of an SUV and call it a day.

>>132959164
>in a great Texas zip code

That's a matter of opinion. I mean sure, just about any place in Texas can be nice. But a central location where most of the jobs and employment is expensive as fuck.
>>
Flipping houses is one of the easiest ways to make money and if you don't need the money back immediately you can rent the house out for literally free money
>>
>>132959421
I just run my engine for about an hour a day to top off my battery bank and my AC runs just fine. I've got plenty of power. If you want to stealth, just get a tall van (like a sprinter high top) and it'll be so far above that 99% of people won't see it from ground level, especially if you put roof racks on the side.

Depending on your area, swamp coolers are also a very effective low power alternative to an AC
>>
I paid off my house, i dont need to live in my shitty pegeot partner work van
>>
>>132959696
So you run an AC on battery alone? You don't have to have an engine on while it's running?

How often would you have to change out a battery if you ran a tiny window/portable AC this way for 8-12 hours a day, and ran a car engine 30 minutes to an hour a day?
>>
>>132960038
I have a MASSIVE battery bank, that was the 2nd most expensive part of the build next to the van itself. All high quality LiPos, never gets below around 50% charge. Really depends on the day. In the winter, about 2 hrs a day to fully charge it, summer 30-45 minutes, assuming sunny weather. I really should have a generator, would be more efficient but I really don't feel like doing the electrical since I'm gonna be done with my house in a year or so anyways, not really worth the effort imho.
>>
>>132960019
And my 2k sq ft house will never require a loan, 100% cash payments, who's the smart one here?

I'm willing to put in the effort to build my own residence like my grandfather and his father did, leaving something I built with my own two hands to my children. Can you say the same?
>>
>>132960323
Fucking A. Just read a typical car battery can only run a tiny window AC for 12 minutes. So yea, yours must be massive.
>>
>>132960501
They aren't car batteries. They're cells designed specifically for off grid power systems.

You COULD use a bunch of car batteries I suppose if you really had to, but the sheer weight and space requirements would make it stupidly impractical.
>>
>>132958117
I lived on a 27 ft sailboat for a year and I won't be doing that again. Cost me $250 a month Bay Area and got power and water hookups. Hot as shit (AC tripped breaker if on for too long) plus I had to leave the boat to take a shit in the marina lounge. Saved a hell of a lot of money and sold it for literally $250 less than I paid, but I still have a crick in my neck from walking around with a 5.5 ft ceiling. Worse, though nothing happened, somebody could have really easily jacked shit from my boat when I was at work.

I cannot imagine living in car.
>>
>>132960818
You were doing it wrong. Gotta have your own power system (why no wind or solar on your deck?) On the water, why no desalination? Not too familiar with boats, so I'm not sure if there is free "parking", but with a nice size (note: nice size, im 5'10 and can stand up perfectly straight in my can with 3-4 inches to spare) van its not much different than a 1500 a month apartment in nyc
>>
>>132958117
>Taxes $11,713

Thanks, Obama!
>>
>>132961026
Free parking means no shore power, water, or msd if the boat is equiped with that. Most boats don't do traditional desalination but use condensers. Wind and solar will only get you so far.
>>
>>132961609
Why a boat then? Why not a good ol' Winnebago?
>>
>>132959008
You can't live in your car on land you bought you stupid piece of shit, it's against too many laws to even list you lying redneck ugly fuck
>>
>>132961922
What laws?
>>
>>132961922
Only if you get caught, dumbass. Besides, I'm on my own property in bumble fuck as I said, I put it together, made a roadtrip to texas on my way there, and started working on my shit. Illegal? Technically. Has anyone bothered me or is anyone going to? Absolutely not.
>>
>>132958117
Whats the problem? it looks like somebody was about to renovate the house then decided to sell it in the middle of the job.
>>
The boomers are only fucking themselves.

They think the "big payout" is worth more than teaching their children anything at all.

As if money is the golden ticket for all things.

I hope they keep raising the price of the living standard, because ill continue to raise the price of my skilled labor.

Want a new alternator? $1500

Windows 10 needs to be reinstalled? $400 minimum.

Need a new driveway? $15,000 for a cement job.

lol, fuck em. I'll charge them every dime in their pocket to take care of them at the nursing home. ;)
>>
>>132960019
Lol no you didn't kike.
>>
>>132961922
You can live in a car on your land whay the fuck are you talking about retard?
>>
>>132958117
Renters do this.
>>
>>132962714
You pay those exorbitant prices because you are either too stupid to read a damn masonry book or too lazy to do it yourself.

In the case of an alternator, you're paying too much for your car as it is in that case.

Also who the fuck pays for windows? Or doesn't install it themselves? Are you a literal retard?
>>
>>132960323

What do you do for work?
>>
>>132962990
Manager/In-house handy man for a tropical freshwater fish wholesaler.
>>
File: 1325822887351.jpg (79KB, 350x218px) Image search: [Google]
1325822887351.jpg
79KB, 350x218px
>>132962714
>Windows 10 needs to be reinstalled? $400 minimum.
>>
>>132962714
I skimmed your post, disregard my previous reply
>>
>>132960744
>They aren't car batteries. They're cells designed specifically for off grid power systems.
The most popular cheap off grid battery system is old electric car batteries.
>>
>>132962714
>New Driveway
>Cement
>skilled labor
kek
>>
>>132963626
I didn't say cheap though, old car batteries are fine for non-mobile systems but I went from NJ to TX with that thing
>>
>>132963626
Yeah if you don't have to be mobile. Car batteries are inefficient per weight compared to li-pos. Marine batteries are even better suited to the task but again are heavier than shit.
>>
>>132962978

I don't pay them, that's what I charge.

My minimum charge for fixing a windows OS is $250 right now.

I won't touch it unless I get that price... why should I give a fuck?

>>132963700

It's still killed labor, finishing is an art. Yea, it may not be a michelangelo tier production but it still has to look nice.
>>
>>132964686
>15k for a cement driveway

How long was that fictional driveway?
>>
>>132964686
meh, I guess you're right. Definitely not hard to do though. At least the knowledge - not saying the work isn't hard.
>>
>>132961922

>owns land
>someone who doesn't own your land has a say on what you can do with our own property

I-is this what freedom is?
>>
>>132960323
How much space does the bank take up? Where is it stored? How much would a similar system run me?
>>
>>132968191
1/4 roughly is under the floor, most of it is under the couch I built for the thing. I spent about 2.5k on batteries alone, not counting the charging system and whatnot, but you could likely get away with about 1.5
>>
>>132968191
did the measurements, in total it takes up about 5/8 a yard
>>
>>132968751
>>132970472
That is awesome. I saw some early banks that were built with car batteries and they were huge.
>>
>>132958117
If you invested just $50,000 into renovating that place, it would be baller as fuck. I wish I could get a place that cheap. I'm gearing up to sell my condo for $700,000 and I'll probably get above asking price. I'm going to use the profit as a down payment on a house.
>>
>>132971224
I mean a half yard is still big, but a hell of a lot smaller than those things
>>
>>132959601
The problem here is that most people don't have the income to save enough money for a house. The kind of money people can save often gets outstripped by market increases. So if they saved hard and tried to get just five percent saved up, by next year they simply won't have enough. It's a vicious cycle.
>>
>>132960818
Just $250 per month? The Vancouver Port Authority upped tie up fees to $2,000 per month because people started to buy house boats.
>>
I've contemplated van living a bit, not having to rent or get a mortgage would cut monthly costs significantly, which I could save for buying land/a house outright.

How do you people deal with security? I've had people try to break into my truck several times while I was sleeping in it. Maybe it's retardo to park in a Walmart lot for the night.
>>
>>132958117
Welcome to the USA, the most superior country in the world.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.