[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We are failing to look at inequality in the right way

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: bbc inequality.png (833KB, 1022x514px) Image search: [Google]
bbc inequality.png
833KB, 1022x514px
We now have experts agreeing with us.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170706-theres-a-problem-with-the-way-we-define-inequality
https://archive.fo/EVvN9

>Solving inequality is often held up as a 'grand challenge' for the world.

>income disparity itself may not be the main problem.

>In a paper ... called 'Why people prefer unequal societies', researchers from Yale University argue that humans actually prefer living in a world in which inequality exists.

>Because if people find themselves in a situation where everyone is equal, studies suggest that many become angry or bitter if people who work hard aren't rewarded, or if slackers are over-rewarded.

>because there is so much inequality the assumption is that it must be unfair. But this has led to an incorrect focus on wealth inequality itself as the problem that needs addressing

>Mark Sheskin, a cognitive science post-doc at Yale, puts the findings of this research succinctly: "People typically prefer fair inequality to unfair equality".

>if [A society where no poverty] is equal-but-unfair then it risks collapsing, argues Nicholas Bloom, an economics professor at Stanford University.

>If I’m a painter, dentist or builder, why would I work for 50 hours a week if everything I’m given is free? humans actually think it’s unreasonable for people that skive to get rewarded. there is nothing that sends people mad more than lazy individuals getting the same rewards and promotions as the hard workers.

>Many of the researchers and economists interviewed for this piece agree: too much attention is paid to the fact that the 1%, and the super-rich all exist.

>Harry G Frankfurt is a professor emeritus of philosophy at Princeton University. In his book On Inequality, he argues that the moral obligation should be on eliminating poverty, not achieving equality, and striving to make sure everyone has the means to lead a good life.
>>
Oh look, Academia needs a scientific paper and 30 years of research to realize the painfully obvious.
>>
>>132899455
>studies suggest
why did we need studies to tell us this?
>>
File: 1498061326907.png (114KB, 500x478px) Image search: [Google]
1498061326907.png
114KB, 500x478px
>>132899881
This.
>>
>>132899881
But now when the left argues about it, we can give them papers. They cant argue with the results of science they live so much, can they?
>>
File: not surprised.jpg (6KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
not surprised.jpg
6KB, 261x193px
>Retarded academics spend thousands of dollars to find out what conservatives always said was right and blatantly obvious

Color me shocked
>>
>>132900229
That's why they attack science when it ventures into areas like this.
Don't be surprised when this guy has his credibility destroyed by the rest of academia because its "controversial"
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.