[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /pol/ support naming laws?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Should parents be forced to choose among a list of official names to call their kids?
I'm not talking about restricting merely "offensive" names, but rather about a cultural policy that would, say, prevent French people from calling their kids "Youseff", "Alessandro" or "Juan" instead of using the French versions of these names, "Joseph", "Alexandre" and "Jean", and outright ban any name such as "Mohammed" or "Mamadou" which don't hold any equivalent in French.
Of course the idea applies to every country, Anglo countries would enforce Anglo names, same for Germanic and Slavic countries etc.

I know this is a thing that was done a lot in the past, German immigrants to the US would even go as far as changing their last names to make them sound more English and integrate better (Drumpf ---> Trump).
>>
Chinese people do it with English names and I think it's a very respectful, if not simply convenient and beneficial, thing to do.

Name registers are authoritarian and in an ideal world would not need to exist but if the culture can't/wont protect itself then perhaps they are necessary.
>>
>>132870520
But Chinese people do it because pronouncing non-Asian names is almost impossible to them.
>>
>>132869961
People shouldn't be allowed to name their kid something stupid like Devil, TurboMoist or Retard. But other than that, it's up to the parent. The think that shits me is special snowflake spelling.
>>
>>132869961
There should be no restriction at all. If some idiot wants to name their own kid Cunt they should be able to.
>>
>>132869961
I'm opposed to anything that goes against free speech and the rights of the citizens. You should be able to name your kids whatever you want, no matter how offensive or retarded.
Giving total control of our lives to the state just to annoy shitskins is retarded.
>>
If they're not named with French names, they shouldn't be considered French in the first place, so they wouldn't have to register their little ape to the authorities.
But that's in a perfect world, in reality arabic names are becoming more typical than western names.
>>
>>132870654
What you said makes no sense in that context.
>>
>>132870654
Sure, a lot of it is because English isn't tonal but it's also a good way to fit in with a different culture and language. My mother is half French and my father British, they gave me and all my siblings English names with French equivalents.

My brother is George, not Georges, and it is pronounced the English way. I think this should be the decision of any foreign born parent when naming their child if possible (or in the case of my mother, who has always lived in the UK, just a nice cultural nod).

Enforcing that through the state is a bit much, but picking explicitly foreign names for a child being raised in a country different from their parents is not is bad for assimilation.
>>
>>132871943
>is not is bad for assimilation.

*is bad for
>>
>>132869961
Naming laws are stupid as fuck. We have them too in my country, I don't see the point. It's just personal preference.
>>
>>132871616
Wut?

>>132871943
I understand, I for one am also opposed to such a law, in principle.
What your parents did is the more rational and smart choice, and works with most European names (especially between France and England, with names such as Charles, George, Eric etc which are pretty much Germanic/Nordic and are almost all spelled the same way). What really brothers me is seeing more or less westernized third generation immigrants naming their kids "Abdul", "Mohammed" and other Arabic names.
Whereas when forced to give a native name to the child, this same child will assimilate better and most of the time give native names to his own offspring without having been forced.
>>
>>132873070
*bothers

Also I really don't understand why muslims keep giving Arabic names to their kids. Islam isn't tied to the Arab world, and most of the frequent Islamic names are also featured in the Bible:
Ibrahim = Abraham
Yusuf = Joseph
And so on...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.