[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burger in Italy - Thoughts

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Italian_Hands.jpg (48KB, 510x543px)
Italian_Hands.jpg
48KB, 510x543px
Just came back from a trip with the wife, figured this place was the best to post feedback. We spent about a week in Rome and took a trip down the Amalfi coast (Positano, Amalfi and Salerno).

In b4
>Hurr you probably asked for a burger and french fries

We legitimately tried to not be the ignorant American tourists. We learned some Italian, and tried as much as we could, to use it there. We tried to be appreciative of the differences of culture (though it wasn't that much different) and we genuinely tried not to be disrespectful dicks everywhere we went.

Here's a few things we noticed:
- Italians kept saying shit like "We don't eat as much as Americans" then ate x2 the amount an American would per meal.
- The rudest tourists, to us, weren't Americans - they were Asians. They routinely were rude to wait staff at restaurants, cutting in lines at places and constantly whipping selfies sticks and shit around. We also ran into issues at the Vatican with eastern Europeans. Legit were pushing people around, knocking chairs over for the papal mass and ignoring the Vatican police to sit down and shut-up.
- Italian driving is the most anxiety-inducing thing I have ever seen
- Benghali street merchants and Gypsies are everywhere. We literally watched it start raining, and 30 seconds later 3 street merchants were selling umbrellas.
- We noticed a pretty heightened military force there. Locals said it was higher than usual
- We did ask about migrants and it was 50/50. Some didn't care or really didn't have much to say, others hated them. Pretty much everyone agreed that they should become Italian and learn the language to stay.
- Naples is pretty scary. We heard an expression "Go to Naples and Die" a lot. Seems like a really run down LA.

All in all a great trip though, would go back again in a heartbeat. Would love to hear Italian feedback and possible future places to go if we ever return.
>>
>>132609073
>- Italian driving is the most anxiety-inducing thing I have ever seen

it really is. cost me years of my life probably and i wasn't even driving myself. naples is kind of a dump, at least it was when i visited (about 12 years ago tho). it has good sides too but 3m high dump hills right next to a fish stand and generally very much waste lying around everywhere. traffic there also is almost life threatening. i recommend sicilly and/or the lipari islands, very rural, great landscapes and volcanos (plus cars are "forbidden" on some of the smaller isles, very little motorized traffic).
>>
>>132610544
Funny thing about Volcanoes
Our guide was telling us that the Italians had an evacuation test in case of another eruption. One guy had a heart attack and died, and two ambulances ran into each other. They said that if everyone got in their car and tried to leave there would be a line 20 miles long. Basically Italians near the volcano are fucked.
>>
>>132610544
I'm into photography so the more scenic stuff is nice. We saw a lot of the tourist stuff in Rome, and definitely were glad to, but would choose to stay out of the urban areas next time.
>>
>- Italians kept saying shit like "We don't eat as much as Americans" then ate x2 the amount an American would per meal.
Yeah, much of Italians doesn't know that you are fat because of the ammount of fat, added sugar and shit you eat. Because they have no idea, people here is obese because they eat like pigs but at least are good genuine things (MOSTLY)
>- The rudest tourists, to us, weren't Americans - they were Asians. They routinely were rude to wait staff at restaurants, cutting in lines at places and constantly whipping selfies sticks and shit around.
Never trust chinks
Ikr
>- Benghali street merchants and Gypsies are everywhere. We literally watched it start raining, and 30 seconds later 3 street merchants were selling umbrellas.
Ikr
>- We noticed a pretty heightened military force there. Locals said it was higher than usual
It's the military operation "Strade sicure" (which means "Safe roads") aka militaries who go around to help aganist both criminality and terrorism.
It's a pretty much more metal issue, if you don't see cops around even with low criminality you don't feel protected.
>- We did ask about migrants and it was 50/50. Some didn't care or really didn't have much to say, others hated them. Pretty much everyone agreed that they should become Italian and learn the language to stay.
Much of the people here arn't even racist, they are mad at the goverment because they can't handle this situation letting us live like in a jungle when we don't even want to fight each other. Obv there are the fascists because fascists never die.
- Naples is pretty scary. We heard an expression "Go to Naples and Die" a lot. Seems like a really run down LA.
If you pick it literaly it's a thing, but it means that you'll love it so much that you won't ever go away
>>
>>132610544
Things changed, now Rome recently had a Dump problem.

>>132610883
There are special escape plans. People won't follow them and just run for their lifes but we are organized on that thing. Your guide basicaly just was a literaly Gennaro who knows fucking nothing.
>>132611291
All the big city have a lot of stuff to see. Naples has the biggest ammount of art and things to see thou.
>>
>>132611291
well, from my expierience, i think you would like it very much. not a photographer myself but sicily has some unbelieveable places, like the alcantara gorge near taormina and an age old necropolis (forgot the name sorry). lipari islands were beautifull all around in my opinion. every island is basically a volcano and some are still active, they are reacheable by ferry only iirc. pic somewhat related, looked like the place i was but not entirely sure it is the same.
>>
>>132611676
>Things changed, now Rome recently had a Dump problem.
thanks for the insight, i didn't know that. as mentioned, its been some time so all i said actually might've been subject to change.
>>
>>132609073
>Italian driving is the most anxiety-inducing thing I have ever seen
kek
You just have to get used, coming from your huge ass 30-lane roads.
I drove in Germany and it's fucking boring. I can't imagine having to drive miles and miles along your infinite, large roads.
>>
>>132609073
>Italians kept saying shit like "We don't eat as much as Americans" then ate x2 the amount an American would per meal
not statistically but of course they like food, their food is good my man....

>The rudest tourists, to us, weren't Americans - they were Asians
That's everywhere lol

>Italian driving is the most anxiety-inducing thing I have ever seen
That's south europe in general lmao
>>
>>132609073
I should do one of these run downs when I finish my tour of Asia in a couple months.

Cool story, bro.
>>
>>132609073
Get a bike and ride through the Gargano my man. Or just anywhere along the Apulian coast really.
No shitskin. Only german tourists there.
>>
>>132612670
Try the balkans. Especially when the locals go off on their trails to 'special places' - offroading in old fiats.
>>
>>132609073
I have to say, i have driven in other countries in europe, especially northern europe, and never found a significant difference, people change lane on the highway without signaling and are assholes in general, the only difference is that people calmly stop at the crosswalks... but it's probably very different in Naples or something, i have always lived in the north
>>
ive been to napoli a couple of times and i liked it. its basically the opposite of my hometown. u can do whatever you want. and everything is in chaos but works somehow.

blowing up firecrackers the whole day? -sure

go eat at the restaurant everyday because its cheap? - sure

want to make friends with some itakers and get invited for dinner? -no problem

also i like that families with kids are gettin treated much better than in germoney
>>
>>132609073
>Italians kept saying shit like "We don't eat as much as Americans" then ate x2 the amount an American would per meal.

In Italy is not so common to eat out as when you are in the US, when we do it's kind of a special occasion so we eat more. (on average people eat out once x week)

>Italian driving is the most anxiety-inducing thing Rome is famous for shit driving even in Italy

>Benghali street merchants and Gypsies are everywhere. We literally watched it start raining, and 30 seconds later 3 street merchants were selling umbrellas

yep that's the plague of turistic locations, now you know why we hate them.

>We did ask about migrants and it was 50/50. Some didn't care or really didn't have much to say, others hated them. Pretty much everyone agreed that they should become Italian and learn the language to stay.

yep that's pretty much the general feeling

>Naples is pretty scary. We heard an expression "Go to Naples and Die" a lot. Seems like a really run down LA.

Yea Naples is worse than Chicago but you should be safe if you stay on touristic locations
>>
>>132609073
>- Italians kept saying shit like "We don't eat as much as Americans" then ate x2 the amount an American would per meal.
And yet half your country is obese.
>>
>>132612718
>>132613135
>>132612670
Their food is excellent. I loved it there. I also know why there are less fat italians than americans despite all the food: Walking.

We walked everywhere, averaged about 10-12 miles a day. And the weird thing was we didn't feel hungry much. Could be the better quality food not destroying our insides.

So the obesity thing, in my mind, is more sugary shit related that the amount. Italians are more active, too.

As far as the Naples saying, the person explained it had two meanings. Either you will literally die or you'll love it so much you can die happy.

>>132613135
We'll try to go next time. Is there a specific time of year to avoid? Seems like it would be an inferno if we went again in late June.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.