[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

majoring in STEM or picking up a skilled trade? what will let

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 13

File: welder.jpg (3MB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
welder.jpg
3MB, 4288x2848px
majoring in STEM or picking up a skilled trade?
what will let me live a comfy life in the US, some years from now?
>>
A skilled trade is no a comfy life unless you advance in it, get further education and a license, and then own your own business.
>>
Trades are gay boomer logic is literally be productive every second for Mr Goldsteinberg or its a sin
>>
>>132561946
People who know how to lay tiling well are invaluable. Find someone to take you on as an apprentice.
>>
>>132561946
As long as your major is Comp Sci do that

S_EM are garbage unless you also figure out how to apply them with CS concepts.

Like math, math is a good path to be a programmer if you learn a language.

But math alone isn't a good path unless coupled with specific skill sets like financial modeling etc
>>
>>132561946
Working is never comfy
>>
>>132561946
Aviation Maintenance. The ultimate comfy.
>>
Pipefitting/plumbing/HVAC
>>
>>132561946
Don't do trades unless you are too stupid to cut it in STEM

Which I assume that because you're even considering trades, you are subhuman intelligence
>>
File: itssomething.png (219KB, 1024x841px) Image search: [Google]
itssomething.png
219KB, 1024x841px
>>132561946
it depends, I can make more than our salaried engineers at the plant by a long shot, but I have to work pretty much 6 a week all year to do it. if I work 7 days a week I blow them out of the water and can make pretty much 100k a year as a tradesman. Tool and Die maker to be specific. really it comes down to what you prefer to do, I like solving problems and doing math, telling engineers their ideas are shit, and working with my hands.

Op needs to go talk to people that work as engies or other things and really get a feel for what they do before he makes the jump, I got lucky as fuck and landed in the right place right off the bat
>>
>>132562241
>>132562080
Also, these two shilling faggot fucks have never done a real days work of anything other than maybe flipping burgers and need to literally kill themselves because tradesmen built this fucking country and will continue to do so.
>>
>>132562931
Calm down you faggot fuck. I'm an electrician and I come from a working family but a trade isn't what I'd call comfortable unless you're a boss who isn't in the field.
>>
>>132562666
>>132562414
Add these two to the list of shilling fucks too.

There aint shit wrong with being a tradesman as long as you get in something actually worth a fuck, electrican, machining, robotics programmer etc.

HVAC, plumbing and the others are SHIT unless you can get out on your own to do them as your own boss.
>>
>>132563051
I get tired of people shitting on trades, muh bad. Industrial or residential?
>>
>>132563184
Mostly residential but I do really large, well-off houses.
>>
>>132562931
Shut up faggot I use to install HVAC from 17-20 trades are for scum
>>
>>132562406
Making bank as a project engineer building things that help blow people up. CS is OK.
>>
File: 1498446890076.gif (183KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1498446890076.gif
183KB, 480x270px
All tradesmen will be replaced by robots

All lawyers, doctors, and even programmers will be replaced by artificial intelligences

The only profession that wont be replaced is Art, which cannot be automated as it is a result of human emotion
>>
>>132563390
you were probably shit at it
>>
>>132563419
Yeah, some non-tech engineering paths are good, but a lot of engy paths are meme worthy levels of employment/salary
>>
>>132563387
My only real experience with it is industrial but im sure the rich fags pay very well.
>>
Carpenters, welders, plumbers, they all make a nice buck. One of my mexican friends went to try his luck up there, and he had no marketable skills as far as I remember. Now he owns his own contractor office and he gets a shitload of work to do. He worked his ass off to get there tho
>>
>>132561946

Depends what kind of STEM you major in and what kind of trade you want to pick up.

Applied mathematics with a minor in computer science (good for data science jobs)? Purely computer science? Civil or electrical engineering?

Basically all other types of STEM/engineering degrees are garbage.
>>
>>132563532
I was a beast it also gave me forearms of a god, still trades are for bottom of the barrel trash. Never again.
>>
>>132563594
It's just not for everyone. At least ITAR regulations ensure job security for me. Lots of people all over the world can program. Not that many can make titanium hot form dies for fighter jet parts.
>>
File: RelaxGoyim.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
RelaxGoyim.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
Both options are highly valued. Can I put you down for the four, eight, or value vocational package? Financing is available.
>>
>>132563524
I laughed at my older brother for going into art, I thought he would be a starving artist. Now he is selling paintings for $5,000 each and his work is shown at some pretty big shows. Meanwhile I'm making about $60,000 with my degree.

I'm by no means poor and am able to pay my bills just fine, but he is making about double what I make and pursuing his life dream, while I despise my job.

But I also understand my brother is not the average artist and most can't expect to have that kind of success.
>>
Majored in Biology, how fucked am I?
>>
>>132564313
what do his paintings look like? I'm intrigued what the masses love these days.
>>
>>132564313
What does his art look like?

People get paid millions for vagina sculptures so it seems like a pretty easy job as long as you can convince people of your bullshit
>>
>>132561946
Trades typically have zero black people because it takes a lot of hard work to stick it through the hard first few years. Plumbers never starve.
>>
>>132564380
Fucked if you stay in biology.

Not fucked if you don't.

I was bio and went into software after a couple years of bench research.

Literally quadrupled my salary.

In contrast, my last post-doc had a BS, a Master's and a PhD and made $6k more than me with just a BS.

I make more than the head PI now as well.

But it's a long game, they have much better options long-term with comfy tenured tracks + consulting etc. Would be easy for them to break into data science as well and make more than me right now.
>>
>>132561946
>Spending 500,000 on a degree
>Instead of just spending that on a home

What are you working for? Isn't the point of getting a degree to be able to afford a house? How come most degree programs cost what a fucking house does these days? It's a total ripoff, you borrow from the banks so you can borrow more from the banks.
>>
>>132564380
Biology grad here. You're fucked if you give up. That's the key: never give up. You may not be working a job that requires biological knowledge but you do need the piece of paper that says you know it.

For example, me and a buddy of mine graduated with the same biology degree from the same university. Both of us tried to get jobs related to our major. Both of us failed. He gave up, I didn't. I now work at a distillery doing quality control (closer the chemistry than anything) and my buddy is addicted to pills.

You may not get the opportunity you expected, but you will find an opportunity. Just don't give up.
>>
Welding is a great choice, huge shortage. Always a job. Advance in education with it and you will be able to pick your work and live most anywhere.
>>
>>132565425
This.

There just aren't many jobs that require a Biology degree specifically, and those that do aren't lucrative.

However, you HAVE a degree, probably a BS. That actually does mean something. On paper, you have more than 80% of the US population who either have a BA or no degree at all.

You need to couple a skill with your knowledge. Try new things, network etc. Despite the new reputation Bio is not even remotely easy and has a really high drop out/switch rate just due to the rigors involved. Bio switchers usually switch into something easier, not harder.
>>
>>132564449
>>132564519
He does really abstract stuff that looks like paint splatters, but he is also very skilled and can do perfectly lifelike work as well.

But his most expensive work just looks like somebody threw paint at a ceiling fan and had a canvas on the floor. Yeah I know it's bullshit. But hey, he sells a couple a month at like $5K each. So power to him. I'd never buy one.
>>
>>132565353
>Spending 500,000 on a degree
Fucking where?
>>132564640
Figured as much. In campus opportunities have been few and lack of funding in relevant departments have been making it worse to find anything to plump up the CV and my experience which in turn makes it hard to find a job outside of it with this meme BS in biology.
>>132565425
I'll consider it. Been a year so far with little to show for it after graduating.
>>132565795
>couple a skill with your knowledge
Anything that you can suggest? Probably the most intricate thing I learned getting my BS was the process of gram staining slides and it's variants. Fun stuff and easy to fuck up if I'm honest.
>>
>>132566210
Don't focus on bio related skills

Focus on other things. Sounds like you're still in college, join clubs! My university had business clubs that anyone could join. Do it, if nothing else it's good for networking. It also shows an employer you're interested in other stuff.

Get leadership positions. Get involved with charity events, you can get management experience out of it.

APPLY TO INTERNSHIPS OUTSIDE OF YOUR MAJOR

Also, learn to program. Python is easy and in-demand.

If you actually like biology and was a career out of it, you have to pursue a master's/PhD.
>>
Go and do some labor work on a construction site if you never have before op i bet you'll be studying stem in no time. Not for the faint of heart blows my mind how hard those guys work compared to my daily 5 hours of youtubing and extended lunch breaks in IT. Destroys your body to.
>>
>>132566210
>>132566576
Oh wait you graduated. Ok then, different plan.

Apply to literally anything that requires a Bachelor's degree that you're interested in.

Most people don't get jobs because of their degree alone desu, it's about who you know and what kind of relevant experience you can spin on a resume.

It's tough for everyone, I know business/finance/chem/lit/math/physics majors that can't find work in their fields either.
>>
>>132566210
>>132565425
Here, There's nothing wrong with grad school. That's where I went when I realized I had reached a dead end.
>>
Do what you know you are good at. Do what you know makes you happy. Just dont get mad and quit the first time you fail.
>>
Trade
>>
>>132565795
>>132566576

PhD in microbiology here. If you don't want to work in academia the job market is pretty slim, and the jobs that are available are very competitive. Science is hard if you aren't a OCD autist. Very repetitive and detail oriented. You need to not get bored doing the same thing over and over and over and enjoy being absolutely perfect in every detail as you do it. Otherwise you will go crazy.

I should have been a mechanical engineer. I love working on my car, building drones and racing them in my spare time, building computers etc. All my hobbies are mechanical or electronics related.

I chose biology because I considered it to be an emerging field that would be blowing up by the time I got my PhD. Biotech is an emerging field, but I admit I'm not good enough to get those top jobs. I'm currently making about $60K at a small biotech company which is pretty low for somebody with a graduate degree. But I think I can be making more pretty soon now that I'm building a professional resume that isn't just school experience.

At one of my job interviews after getting my PhD one guy looked at my resume and said "So you've never had a REAL job". You can tell a lot of people in the industrial side of biology really look down on the academia side of biology. There are thousands of people who never leave the academic bubble, they go to school, get their degree, and become teachers, and teach others how to become teachers.
>>
>>132567204
Im not into swapping
>>
>>132561946
Nothing will let you live a comfy life. Nobody is comfortable. You will work till you die.
>>
>>132567367
I forgot this next part:

You should ask yourself what will let you live a SATISFYING life. Not a comfortable one.
>>
>>132567367
Only if you care about money.
>>
>>132563390
You were a tin basher congratulations.
>>
idk why people shill for trades so hard. most trades are really boring, don't pay very much for the amount of hard work you do, and you most likely won't start your own business; instead, you will be the guy that is 50 and working under some guy, still.
>>
>>132567367
I write retirement projections. I see people retiring from STEM (mostly computers) in their 50s all the time.
>>
>>132561946
you're doomed no matter what without some nepotism on your side
>>
Biology major here. Then 2 years PA School. I make 6 figures.
>>
>>132561946
depends on your IQ
>>
>>132563390
Hmmm I work on my own schedule. Unless its an emergency I work according to a facilities budget and my free will. Trades do pay well.
>>
>>132567289
Sorry to hear that brother. Ever thought about heading out on your own? Fermenting beer, wine, or cheese? With a background in microbiology and an interest in mechanics, I would peg you as someone ready to take that plunge. A microbiologist can make yeast dance (lactobacilli for cheese, whatever) and an ME knows the equipment to give them a stage to dance on.
>>
>>132567787
What would you suggest instead?
>>
>>132568110
Yeah I've actually brewed a little on my own, just like 3 batches so far.

I have a friend from grad school who quit about halfway to his PhD and went to be an apprentice under a beer brewer at some nearby craft brewery. I should look him up and ask him how it is going.

Always wanted to pursue brewing but never really pursued it other than trying a couple small batches myself.
>>
>>132566991
Beggar's can't be choosers. Got it. Hopefully the feeling of feeling ripped off wears away at some point. Boomer fuck of a high school counselor sold me on "Go into stem and the offers will literally pile up". Horse manure.
>>132567032
This is what I was thinking about as my next step but I'm wary of feeling like I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole. But yeah job listings tend to request for masters or higher in biology. Fucking sucks. Did it pay off for you?
>>132567289
My condolences man, i dabbled in microbio research in undergrad and it was boring as hell. I grimace at the trials you went through. Autistic OCD is the main ingredient to satisfaction in a career in the sciences I think.

God damn it, if I could go back I probably would have gone for a quicker route like nursing or a trade like carpentry. Thanks for your advice and stories guys, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>132567787
Maybe because you were not built to be an alpha. I enjoy sweating my ass off floating 60 ft above the ground in a bucket, or working a live 3 phase panel.
>>
>>132568270
Lineman make good money and work very little.
>>
>>132568542
yea, that's real bull work. no one takes you faggots seriously.
>>
>>132568411
I'm jealous of my friends that went into pharmacy. I have a few friends making 6 figures putting pills in bottles. But from what I have heard the market is getting very saturated now and its harder to get a job now.
>>
>>132568670
You do when your power is out
>>
>>132561946
STEM isn't a major. It's an acronym for a bunch of fields that have multiple things one could major in including junk. Save your money
>>
>>132568693
High debt low reward relative as well.

I hate to keep telling everyone to get into software...but you'll seriously make a lot of fucking money without professional school debt.

I know everyone wants to be a doctor of some sort, but it's a loooooong road, particularly before you don't have to consider the debt limitations.
>>
>>132568670
Your little puter do workie when there’s no power
>>
File: 1498714683430.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1498714683430.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>132561946
Im going for joint geology/archaeology degree
Hopefully score some badass gov funded expeditions
>>
>>132568900
i got solar panels
>>
Stainless union welders for nuclear steam make upwards of $45.00 us per hour plus expenses
>>
>>132562931
I write computer code from my house and it’s super comfy.
>>
>>132562768
>>hurr durr i can make more than entry level engineers if i work like a slave
>>thinks 100k is allot

Unless your working for a shit company any and every engineer that's been around for more than a couple years should be making $100k+ without working your slave labor hours.

They will easily retire making about $250k with 32 hour work weeks while you work until the day you die.
>>
>>132569022
Awww you keep trying.
>>
>>132568110
Award goes to you, anon, for the most random, intriguing, philanthropic post in this thread. I like you, and hope other anon becomes a kickass cheese man
>>
>>132568382
I've been brewing for about a year now myself. I enjoy it pretty well. I don't know what kind of area you live in but in my part of Tennessee, 2 microbreweries have done exceptionally well here. One has a taproom, the other just kegs and sells. I imagine it's a pretty comfy life to get into without back breaking effort.

All that being said, I've read the craft beer bubble will bust soon. Disheartening to hear, but advantageous for you and I and others who may want to get in the game later in life.
>>
>>132569199
its nice that this bothers u
>>
>>132569377
Just finished up a birdogs beer and filtered it. Its strong like 91 percent alc but perfectly clear.
>>
>>132569668
Im drunk and laughing. Are you?
>>
>>132568411
>>132567032
So far so good on my end. It's a difficult perspective to see, but a graduate degree is less off an expectation, like a diploma or B.S., for yourself and more of an investment in yourself. It WILL, eventually albeit, pay off being able to show on paper that you were willing to go the extra mile to set yourself apart from others.
>>
>>132561946
Get good grades in STEM - there's a decent amount of scholarship money sloshing around, and it isn't too hard to make your college expenses zero or near zero.
>>
>>132569210
TY
>>
>>132561946
STEM has treated me well. The money has been decent and I've lived comfortably. However, I don't like what I do so, yea, you should consider whether the work you do is pleasurable. Maybe work isn't in general. I dunno
>>
Gonna let you in on a little secret - get the STEM degree and go into to technical sales. Especially if you're chad, belonged to a frat, and got pussy easy in college.

It works the same in industry - the betas will be resenting you and fawning all over you at the same time. You'll schmooze your way through days on the golf course, paid lunches, car plan, travel, etc. $150k/yr typical, more if CA based or other high cost of living city.

You don't even have to be good at whatever your major was, you just have to have enough technical background to coordinate design activity and procurement schedules and manage the personalities.

Piece of cake if you got the social skills, easy job, high salary. Of course, look at STEM graduates and you'll realize it's a small percentage that aren't autistic basement dwellers. But if you got it - it's the place to be.
>>
Not all STEM subjects are born equal. Petroleum engineering will probably provide you with the comfiest life in the shortest duration, but will probably be hard.
Electrical engineering is a very wide umbrella and you can find plenty of options there as well.
Computer science is a mixed bag. Make sure you go to a good school and they have a decent program.
See if you can find a school which requires you to take the smallest amount of subjects in the humanities.
As far as trades go - picking up a trade is always a useful idea. Have you thought of working part time in a trade to pay for your degree?
>>
>>132565787
This
Especially if you also learn underwater welding
>>
>>132562931
Trades are for morons
>>
>>132561946
>what will let me live a comfy life in the US, some years from now?

Neither. Place is going to hell.

>>132570427
>there's a decent amount of scholarship money sloshing around, and it isn't too hard to make your college expenses zero or near zero

Calling BS. Had trouble reeling in scholarship money even with a > 3.5 GPA. If you're a minority and/or female, then there is probably schollie money available.
>>
File: confused bones.jpg (46KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
confused bones.jpg
46KB, 572x303px
>tfw about to start school to be a mechanic

Hows it look like for prospecting Mechanics guys? The school I go to does Welding and A/C repair too, I still have enough time to change it if I want
>>
File: 1495190878337.jpg (67KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
1495190878337.jpg
67KB, 720x715px
>>132562768
What kind of math are you using?
>>
>>132571606
Go with what you'd enjoy doing the most.
>>
>>132571432
you're probably just an unlikable prick that no one wanted to give money to.
>>
I'm pretty happy making a little over 70k a year. That's before overtime or other bonuses too. Welding/Mechanics.

Job is easy. Coworkers are cool. Boss is chill guy. Great benefits. Low stress. Area is low cost of living.
>>
File: Computer Science.gif (3MB, 720x485px) Image search: [Google]
Computer Science.gif
3MB, 720x485px
I'm majoring in Bio and I want to get a job as a doctor years down the road. The content doesn't come as naturally to me as it does some of my fellow students, but I've never lacked for determination. I had no idea Bio majors were looked down upon by so many----but I had the impression several years down the road finding a job a pharmaceutical company or as a doctor wouldn't be too terribly difficult. Am I wrong?

Computers scary me =/
>>
>>132573610
>looked down on
For whatever reason, it's not highly valued.

I think the problem is that HR people write job descriptions and have no fucking idea what they're doing, since they usually have no qualifications or even knowledge in the field they are trying to attract, and even less knowledge in the content of most majors

Your average HR person is functionally incompetent, with a BA in sociology or something silly
>>
There seems to be a LOT of misconceptions about the trades in this thread so I'll clear it up

Yes, it's not easy. It's shitty work. But a few years from now, all the boomers will retire. And nobody these days wants to be a fucking tradie, so there's going to be demand for it. The job pays good money, gives you a good sense of accomplishment and makes you manly. But don't expect to be working past 55 (and that's if you're lucky).

Now, if you guys are smart, you wouldn't go to to a shitty trade. You want to go to a highly specialized and technical trade so that nobody steals your job. A good rule of thumb is: the harder it is to get into a certain trade, the better it is. Examples are elevator mechanics, steamfitters, refrigeration mechanics. Those trades are where they make bank.
>>
>>132573477
How did you get started in welding? Thinking of that or commercial diving and maybe underwater welding eventually
>>
>>132573610
>I had the impression several years down the road finding a job a pharmaceutical company or as a doctor wouldn't be too terribly difficult. Am I wrong?

If you're a white male, your chances of getting into med school are < 50%. The jobs in pharma go to engineers and doctors. A straight bio degree might get you a job in teaching or in government.
>>
>>132572058
I'm probably gonna go with mechanic and hopefully move into boat repair too, I met this Christian qt and I'd really like to start a family before I hit 25. Well a man can wish at least
>>
>>132574578
~50% isn't terrible, but maybe I should look more into pharma jobs or chemical engineering. Idk
>>
>>132561946
>Grow up in old blue collar neighborhood
>Everyone is a carpenter, painter, welder, etc.
>Every single male past 55 has some health problem
>Bad knees, bad hips, blood cancer, lung problems, you name it

None of these guys are poor, but none of them really struck it big either. I value my health and would rather avoid their fate, so I went into a STEM profession.
>>
>>132561946
Step 1, get an IQ test or know your scores on the SAT/GRE

If you have a 1200 or higher SAT or a 120 and up IQ go to a STEM major that has jobs.

If you can be competitive in STEM don't waste your life knowing less and working arduous labor jobs 40-60 hours a week.
>>
>>132577162
Huh ????? I worked 8 hours in arduous labor and made around $1000.00 last week.
>>
Can an engineer rapidly make over a 100k in the US? Without busting my ass too much I mean
>>
>>132565813
Your brother is either a degenerate, either smart af for having understood what please the globalist elite
>>
>>132577546
You can make what you want.How much and how hard you work is up to you.
>>
>>132563819
>Basically all other types of STEM/engineering degrees are garbage
You dont know shit, i laugh at "enigneers" like you
>>
>>132577162
>don't waste your life knowing less
T. Never heard of a library or knew the internet has shit besides porn
>>
>>132577744
So, this wage is not uncommon for an engineer over there? It's almost unthinkable here because one mostly depends on their relations to find valued jobs
Also, is the shortage in engineers meme true in America?
>>
>>132561946
If you are able to STEM, do it. If not, trade skill.

A guy I know runs a custom wood interior design shop out of a warehouse. He charges $10k for a single piece of furniture made to custom specifications. This includes hand sewn cushions and special features. He works hard and has about 3 customers a month. He's making around $250k/year using his trade skill.
I am a shitty programmer and script kiddie that got old. I write bad code and am a hack in more than one sense of the word. The shit I do is functional and my employers actually love my work, as mangled as it is. I make $70k/year from home, work my own hours, and am pretty lazy.
If I applied myself, I could be making at least $150k - $200k, but I would have to actually work pretty hard and hustle. I could manage three clients at a time and triple my income, but I'd be working 12 hour days, 5 days a week.

So the question is, how much do you want to work?
>>
>>132577982
Engineer? I am a commercial service technician. I make more per year than engineers in my area. The difference is that I may spend 30 hours on a roof to repair an emergency. I may just work one day a week. I am willing to do what is needed to help my customers provide continuity of service.
>>
>>132578000
Sounds comfy
>>
>>132578412
This is depressing, why would I bust my ass for at least 4 more years if in the end some random technician will earn more than me
>>
>>132578625
You may not be willing to work a 30-40 hr shift to repair an emergency with no sleep.
>>
Majoring in athletic training. How am I M8?!?
>>
>>132572114
>you're probably just an unlikable prick that no one wanted to give money to.

Nope. Plenty of others were in the same boat.
>>
>>132578000
>I am a shitty programmer and script kiddie that got old. I write bad code and am a hack in more than one sense of the word. The shit I do is functional and my employers actually love my work, as mangled as it is. I make $70k/year from home, work my own hours, and am pretty lazy.

Those sentences are shit, they are poorly written and I should learn to write using less commas and compound sentences.
>>
>>132579006

What do you do? Full stack web?
>>
>>132577982
>is the shortage in engineers meme true in America?

Not even remotely. About 35% of US engineering grads actually go on to be engineers. We're 200% oversupplied with engineers.
>>
>>132578783
*how fucked am I M8???
>>
>>132578625
In the end its all about what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to achieve your goals. What your job title is insignificant.
>>
Guy with a septic pump truck makes more than 6 figures a yr because he moves your shit for you. Buys a $125,000.00 truck and gets paid well for his investment. He may puke once a day, but I think its well worth it.
>>
>>132565787
welder bro/structural/architectural fabricator here. moneys good if you can lay a bead and read a fucking blue print.
>>
>>132579102
Pretty much. Drupal and SharePoint (lol, kill me please).
I also do random IT and process design work.
>>
>>132561946
Before you fall for the Mike Rowe meme, ask yourself: would you want a tradesman fucking your daughter?
>>
>>132562931
>tradesmen built this fucking country
So did slaves. So do suicidal Asian peasants in ipod factories.
>>
>>132577728
Either way he's better than you.
>>
Computer engineering...

Should I just swap to Computer Science?
>>
>>132579526
Nope. Working with my client's database schema fills my quota of disgust for the day. Working with literal shit to make a comparable income does not sound like something to aspire to.
>>132582357
Doesn't really matter too much. If you really enjoy algorithms and discrete mathematics then do it. I personally wished I had stuck with computer eng because I've ended up doing quite a bit of embedded work and could have used the EE background but you can pick that up, too.
>>
>>132569000
>>132569000
Geology is the best its a good mix of field and lab work. But when you get into the workplace it will be all technical modeling and dumbing it down for investors/management.
>>
>>132561946
I make 40k from writing, comfy desu
>>
How much money will a bachelors in EE make?
>>
>>132584263
You're probably asking for an average, but the fact is it all depends on whether you're worth a shit as a technical contributor. Asking /pol/ for information you could look up with Google is not a great sign.
>>
>>132561946
One word: PYTHON
>>
>>132585364
Idiot.
>>
File: 223358587322.jpg (132KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
223358587322.jpg
132KB, 1024x576px
>>132561946
Went to trade school for welding, got into a union gig and that easily paid for me to go back for marine engineering and maintenance.

Worked on and for boats up here in Maine for a few years. Made a good bit of money as a chief engineer until I got bored and went back for HVAC.

Now I just do odd welding jobs, working on private boats and repairing/installing heating units.

Make about 160k a year and unlike most people say my body is not demolished at 34 and I'm thinking about going back to school again for electrical or plumbing because I'm bored again

Personally I would say get into a few trades because leftists pussy libs are all going for desk jobs and will need a real man to fix their shit at an obscene cost. You can fix your own shit and piss off limp wrist pussies all in one go, win win.
>>
File: wildlife_affected.jpg (576KB, 1801x1206px) Image search: [Google]
wildlife_affected.jpg
576KB, 1801x1206px
>>132561946
Double STEM here (Biology & Comp Sci),
Don't do STEM unless it's Comp Sci or maybe engineering in something electrical.

Can very much say from experience, robotics/AI has hit STEM hard. Lots of outsourcing, lots of underpaid, lots of unemployment. BS in Biology for me was near useless. gave me a false sense of security. My post grad computer science more than makes up for it.

America wants more women and men in STEM, but treats them like shit once they graduate.

trades are good, an in-demand certification can cover you in hard times. Plumbing/Electrical apprenticeships definitely have solid value.

Don't count out nursing, pays high / always in demand.
>>
>>132582190
That is if any of what you said was true, which it isn't.
>>
File: BirdInAirByForceOfSheerAnger.jpg (15KB, 454x417px) Image search: [Google]
BirdInAirByForceOfSheerAnger.jpg
15KB, 454x417px
>>132563819
Data Science!

Ahhh...
Somebody uncovered my nugget.
Studying Python and Data Science track right now on the side.
It's super great.
Nothing college is needed for. It can be learned in a year. I'd call it a skill-niche-ability.

Personally, I wouldn't redo a college degree. I'd get an AA, then study in specialized online programs.
I think back at all the bullshit I learned getting a BS. Horrid. sad to think I owe student loans on that sh*t.
>>
>>132564380
very fucked. get out. it's taken over by Asians (they hire their own) and robotics. Also it's all specialized. You loose mobility after a couple years, you're pidgeonholed in that tiny field of biological science. read my other post.
>>
File: Prevent Rape.jpg (57KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Prevent Rape.jpg
57KB, 600x600px
>>132564640
MEEEEEEEEE
TOOOOOOOO

wish I had gone Comp Sci from the start
>>
>>132566210
I'm in Comp Sci now, but the most intense thing I did was map restriction enzyme vectors with gene-mapping software.

Not in biology anymore, but dang that stuff looks way-cool!
>>
File: alien_hope.png (77KB, 480x624px) Image search: [Google]
alien_hope.png
77KB, 480x624px
One thing you should know:
Biology is very tiered: BS, MS, PhD.
Labs are mostly all structured that way.
Very hard to move up, not like Comp Sci where you can learn it on the side and know way more as your career unfolds.

Labs are also ver ysocially stifling environments. Almost everyone I worked with was an unfriendly Filipino introvert with glasses.
...and you gotta see them, and only them, every single fucking day. I became socially malnourished, became difficult to talk to people outside of work. So glad I left biological work.
>>
>>132566576
Continuing on from this anon I'd say that both python and R are invaluable to a biologist. Praticularly python as it can be modified in an insane amount of ways with very little experience. Knowing your way around a bash command line isn't the worst thing either.
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.