[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't people going into trades, in the states the amount

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 26

File: IMG_2149.jpg (42KB, 483x304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2149.jpg
42KB, 483x304px
Why aren't people going into trades, in the states the amount of trades in demand right now is ridiculous you have less people going into them and more people still believing that any college degree will make them bank and half of them still end up working shitty retail jobs.
>>
>>132554654

People are. I'm a lapidary.
>>
>>132554654
because manual labor is for unintelligent apes
>>
>>132554654
I was in honors classes in high school. Often we'd have people come into class representing random colleges and go "hurr durr don't want to wind up working a blue collar job do ya?" They instilled mind poison into my generation. No wonder so many millennials can't cope with the real world.
Also am I alone in this? Did anyone else who took AP and Honors courses have college reps come in and basically shit talk blue collar workers?
>>
>>132554654
Because these jobs are either viewed as to physically intense for spoiled millennials. Or are not as luxurious and actually require having some sort of discernible skill other then having your parents money to waste.
If the University I go to now wasn't paying for 100% of my school, I wouldn't even bother and would instead just go into welding or some other shit.
>>
>>132555069
nope im also mind poisoned
they did this on purpose so they could import a bunch of beaners to replace us they sold out their children for people who won't question them. how sad is that? that s what our teachers and adults did to all of us.
>>
File: 1498855673508.png (4KB, 232x266px) Image search: [Google]
1498855673508.png
4KB, 232x266px
>>132554860
Nice b8 fag
Here's your (you)
>>
Because it's very important for The Economy for literally everyone to take out $30,000 in loans to go on a 5-year University vacation where they pretend to "work" and "learn".
>>
>>132555069
That's exactly why you have so many fucking unprepared people in society now days in the states, everyone who's in college right now is losing time and money all because they think a piece of paper is gonna make them rich. In fact half of the jobs in the states don't really care of you have a degree or not and half of the time the people who go to college end up working for people who didn't go to school and are more successful then them, blue collar jobs make big money but no one wants to be a plumber cartpenter, weldier etc, so for that reason no young person will know what hard work is really like therefore you have so many stuck up faggots in society who wine and complain.
>>
>>132555781
This actually pisses me off quite a bit, they knew damn well what they were doing. No wonder male enrollment is dropping.
>>
>>132554860
this is bait but i'll bite, only miners are actual manual back breaking labor
Electricians, Welders, Car mechanics, barely lift anything heavy at all and they are making much much more than college fags and also debt free
a Underwater Welder can earn up to 80k a year, a sweet deal i'll tell you.
>>
File: 1425666316498.png (772KB, 674x7920px) Image search: [Google]
1425666316498.png
772KB, 674x7920px
>>132554654
MFW disgusting forced diversity photos
>>
>>132554654
> Woman
> construction worker

HAHAHA
>>
>>132555069
I remember sitting in high school and everyone telling me i needed a 4 year degree to be sucessful, well I spent 4 years and 20k for a degree that i ended up hating, so im headed back to get FF/EMT cerftication that will cost me 1/3 of my degree and take less than 1/4 the time
>>
>>132554654
>Why aren't people going into trades
Trades is the next to get the chopping block after service industry jobs are automated. Face it, the only people winning in the future are business owners.
>>
>>132555069
being a blue collar worker is honorable if thats the peak of your capability.

Me, i am changing the world through cryptocurrency development, not installing pipes for some jew sandnigger's toilet.
>>
>>132556697
i don't see a robot being able to do underwater welding anytime soon
also Car mechanic, robots are far away from getting the sensibility to unscrew small screws precisely and fitting into tight places, this automation thing will fuck over retail way way before, and who is in retail? that's right college graduates.
>>
>>132555069
>>132555545
>>132556172
>>132556617

I dropped out of college after one year, came up with a fraudulent resume, and snuck my way into a Marketing career.

No one suspected a damn thing, the whole time. There's literally nothing a college education contributes to (((Marketing))). Any idiot can do it if they're in the right place at the right time.

Now my drop out ass is hiring interns who have masters degrees. Lmao what a scam. Ancap forever
>>
What study can I pursue while I'm working, trade or not? I have an office job with sometimes hours of free time where I watch WWII docs off my flash drive. I'd rather spend that time toward something productive if I can. I have an old Bus Admin AS from 10 years ago but I don't think that's enough to get me a specialization/job security.
>>
>>132554654

Trades haven't always been such good money. They're sensitive to supply and demand like any other good or service. So today a plumber might be out-earning a professor, but tomorrow he could have a shitty wage in an over saturated market, oh and have to be elbow deep in shit just to get by.

The trades being so well paid won't last forever.
>>
>>132554654
cierra el hocico pendejo.
seguro eres tan inutil que no puedes ni cambiar un foco en tu propia casa.
>>
>>132558192
this kind of burrito language should be an insta ban
>>
>>132554654
Where the fuck do you live that they aren't? Everyone I know seems to have a relative/friend in a trade.
>>
>>132554654
>in the states the amount of trades in demand right now is ridiculous

No longer pays well in comparison to expenses required to live in most cities thanks to mass immigration. No retirement now that the unions are dying. Serious risk of permanent injury. Get to work with/for braindead douches, hotheads, druggies and outright assholes.

Wouldn't advise anyone to go into most trades right now. Welding, electricians and a few other specialty trades are the only ones with any real future. Those require formal training and the right connections to land your first job and stay in the business.

t. guy who fell for the "learn a trade" meme and now deals with chronic pain and nerve damage
>>
>>132559855
>chronic pain and nerve damage
What happened?
>>
>>132554654
Because even if we did get into trade, Mexicans would steal it.
>>
>>132556257
You've never worked on a car
>>
File: 1493100280573.jpg (137KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
1493100280573.jpg
137KB, 565x600px
>>132554654
>beaner trying to get the white man to work so he can sleep
>>
>>132556257
>a Underwater Welder

yeah i'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of underwater welding jobs just waiting to be filled.

trades don't pay well enough for most people to live on a job site in a trailer shitting in a portajohn in 0 degree weather half the year. you guys don't know what the fuck you're talking about, none of you have lived that life, and most people don't want to live it because it fucking sucks.

you wanna hobble around like you're 90 by the time you're 40? go work with your hands, and cripple yourself for the rest of your life, dumb shits.
>>
>>132554654
>female construction worker/carpenter
Hahaha I wouldn't hire that unless she was outrageously cheap or came with sex.
>>
File: thatsnotnormal.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
thatsnotnormal.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
>>132554654
There's no more incentive. Expensive investments is the /only/ way to to gain more later on. What that seems like is a popular ponzi scheme hellbent on destroying the work ethic of humans.
I honestly believe that public and private education are no good for society. Both shift the focus of learning to different purposes, like gaining property, rights with monetary value, status, ect. Intended outcomes do not factor for unintended circumstances. Another thing that McLiberal(TM) education does to societies is it shifts the focus of the family unit. Traditionally, mothers raise their children from infancy, to pre-adulthood. After the child turns a certain age (or is ready mentally/physically), the father is responsible for teaching them the proper skills to apply their first look at knowledge to the real world, under his more experienced guidance. Obviously, both parents must be present during the entirety of upbringing (arguably into their adult years maybe), but the earliest parts of your life are the most critically important to who you can, and will become.
>>
>>132560217
Mexicans can't do shit besides pour concrete and frame toolsheds and garages, they're worthless bottom-of-the-barrel garbage that anyone can easily compete with in the real world. The only people Mexicans are taking jobs from are agricultural labourers (dumbass pseudo-serfs that pick vegetables and shovel cow shit) and low-skill general labourers.

You don't need to worry about Mexicans if you're becoming an electrician because nobody wants their fucking houses to burn down.
>>
>>132557878
Computer science degrees are always useful, especially considering how fast technology advances. Learn to code.
>>
>>132560636
>pour concrete and frame toolsheds and garages

Doing those things are "trades."
>>
>>132560243
i haven't, but i have seen people do it, you need a lot of flexibility and precision, one thing is for a robot to flip burgers, another is to fix complex engine systems in tight spaces.
>>
>>132560913
>low-skill general labourers.
Emphasis on low skilled anon, >>132560636
you also forget most of them are shitty landscapers.
>>
>>132560663
Wrong. Learn to code like an Indian so I can come in and fix the code for 30k.
>>
>>132560913
That's what I'm saying, actual tradesmen are not being put out of work by Mexicans because trades require skill and experience, neither of which any illegal shitskin reliably possesses.
>>
>>132560391
Nigger, underwater welding isn't lifting 50kg weights on your back all day
you won't wobble nigger
it's exercise, but not back breaking
Office job sedentary lifestyle is much more dangerous and harmful to your body it leads to obesity, and obesity causes dozens of diseases.
>>
>>132561165
>trades require skill and experience

Lol, this fucking meme.

Anybody can perform a trade after a week's worth of on-the-job training (same goes for white collar jobs, too, desu).
>>
I've always been told that I have a great voice for radio, and I'd really like to give it a go, and potentially try my hand at voice acting as well in the future.
Is there a good school or trade school I can go to for this? I was thinking something like broadcasting, but there's so much fucking shit to shift through, it's hard to tell what would end up being worth my time
>>
>>132554654
because (((universities))) pushed propaganda that those professions make shit money (they actually pay very well) and that the only way to succeed is to go to college.
>>
There's so many people out there wanting to work. Why does everyone assume that there are 30 dollar and hour jobs just lying around? They're fucking not. The world is shit, there's too many people. There are no jobs.
>>
Certainly has nothing to do with your people flooding across the border to do the job for cash under the table, driving down wages.
>>
>>132555069
No one ever went into the actual classrooms. They did show up to do meetings and college fairs - I remember the counselor saying she was "disappointed" when I said that I either wanted to pursue a career in the trades or the military.
>>
File: 1497461940717.jpg (57KB, 300x265px) Image search: [Google]
1497461940717.jpg
57KB, 300x265px
>>132560415
they hold the sign that says stop and on the other side is says slow, they are workin gals
>>
>>132561369
>Anybody can perform a trade after a week's worth of on-the-job training
Waiting for some boomer in a minivan to come pick you up from a Home Depot parking lot to work on his new deck is not working a trade, and with a week's worth experience that's all you're going to get.
>>
>>132557683
>hiring your future replacements
>>
>>132554654
over here it's because it's tougher than an office job, pays less and is generally seen as something for the lower class which no one wants to belong to
the wages won't rise because there's always barely enough poles and other foreigners who will do the job for less money, but not enough so they can take over the whole business
that being said, I am a stonemason and enjoy it, but it's hard work
the colleagues are nice though and they're all at least somewhat redpilled
>>
>>132561494
Exactly. They threaten you and your family by saying "well if you don't get a degree you'll wind up in a shitty job and possibly homeless". It's a rather Jewish way of scamming you out of thousands of dollars, but it works, and it works great.

College administrators are no better than Wall street investors - they make millions off of an inelastic good. Soon it will be $500,000 to put your kid through college, and people will still be doing it.
>>
>>132556257
>MUH UNDERWATER WELDING
I see you in every thread about trades.
>>
>>132560636
Leaf here is right. Plumbing, HVAC, or electric is a good bet. Anything that requires some degree of technical knowledge the spics can't compete in. Just be ready for some shitty conditions depending on where you live.
>>
>>132556172
This. I worked some pretty tough jobs like dishwashing, construction, warehouse, and manual labor gigs on craigslist, when I was 18 because all the easy jobs like retail, customer service jobs required you to be lucky or a normie with a network of friends to get you in the door now I'm 21 almost finished with my apprenticeship and about to make 55k a year when I do finish a tough and dangerous job but after wash dishes everything else feels like heaven on earth.
>>
>>132561329

Do you realize how fucking dangerous underwater welding is?
>>
Finance is easier on the body and earns me more money.
>>
>>132554654
OP or anyone, can you tell me where I can get work as a newbie welder? I only have a few tickets and no practical experience outside of school which is the main problem. Everyone wants at least two years of experience.
>>
>>132562350
>t. George Soros
>>
File: IMG_8610.jpg (43KB, 642x792px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8610.jpg
43KB, 642x792px
We need tradesmen
We need white collar workers

Supporting them isn't mutually exclusive, don't get divided down blue vs white collar lines like the powers that be want you to be.

t. White collar Software engineer who is friends with two welders and a plumber
>>
>>132554654
Because they're fucking lazy.
>>
>>132562155
But it pays REALLY WELL which is why I'd like to do it.
>>
>>132554654
Because I fell for the Chanology meme, and graduated as a computer engineer 4 years ago.

I thought I would learn how to hack niggas, I was retarded.
>>
>>132562477
I'm just a 21 year old trying to be an analyst, not a fucking 100 year old jew
>>
>>132562519

I bet they talk mad shit about what a faggot you are.
>>
Should I go into Software Development, Business Administration/Finance, or become an Electrician?
>>
Should I go pursue an auto mechanic career? I remember hearing something about how it'll soon become obsolete since the cars will be running on computers.

Don't know if that was just college (((propaganda))) or not but I've always wanted to work on cars. Any advice on how to get started?
>>
>>132562732
Software dev with a business admin focus.

Tech management is very well paid, high status, has strong ladder potential and allows you to consider starting your own business easily.
>>
>>132561870
But anon, working in trade for the majority of your life sounds like a absolute fucking meme.
> Not owning a business, even better starting up a trade company

>"You stay fit!"
nah
>>
>>132562732

Depends.
>>
File: bobbyhatesyou.jpg (10KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
bobbyhatesyou.jpg
10KB, 300x225px
>>132556257
Miners run machines. You stupid niggers really don't have any job experience do you? They have remote-controlled giant cars from Total Recall that you stand next to and mine coal with, and another machine called a Longwall that is a giant track with a seat and blade that one guy sits in and rides back and forth, shearing off coal all day. Then there are roof bolters that stand in a machine bolting metal grate to the ceiling and walls, and scoop operators that basically drive a crazy variant of dump truck/forklift all day. The only real physical jobs are on the shovel crew which drive around and shovel up coal that's spilled off the massive conveyor belt, and those are new guy jobs until you get put on a mining section. The only people that do that permanently are the bosses that run the crews.

You're also dumb as fuck if you imagine that they're dangerous jobs. There are multiple mines around where I live, and all of them have had less than 3 deaths in the past 20 years. One of them has never had a single person die from work-related accidents in it's 35 years of operation. You morons are imagining like fucking rednecks with canaries and pickaxes. Many MANY more truck drivers are killed every year than people have ever died in modern coal mines.
>unless you live in China
>>
File: IMG_8930.jpg (64KB, 698x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8930.jpg
64KB, 698x400px
>>132562690
Been friends with two of them since I was in high school, so probably not. Not all software engineers look like pic related. I mean sure we all give each other shit but there's no animosity between us
>>
>>132562857
also, make sure that you know how computers work. become an expert in computer, keyboard, mouse, and computerkeyboard.
>>
>>132554654
Is being a contractor a good start out of highschool and working at lowes so I get to meet a few and ive been offered around 16.50 and hour with 1.50 raise a year but I was told it's very hard work
>>
>>132560636
>tfw work in concrete
Can confirm that this trade is full of Mexicans. Out of 45 people on the job site I'm working on, only 6 are white.
>>
>>132555069
Same.
I'm an engineer and I work with technicians who make about 85% of my salary with a two year degree. And honestly I think I'd be happier doing the work they do. In many ways (like actual operation, maintenance, etc), they know much more than engineers.
Skilled trades would be honorable. High school gave me the impression that blue collar work was literal slave labor and banging stones together.
>>
>>132554654
Because there are still barriers to entry, Pablo. It's hard to be an apprentice if you're older than 24 years of age, as the employer doesn't get kickbacks from taking you on.
>>
>>132562126
And your salary will continue to rise it won't just always be 55k a year, you could go back to school later in life if you really waned to and pay for the classes out of your own pocket. Or you could start your own business later and make even more since people who start bussnies in the trades like plumbing and that tend to do good, it just boggles my mind why the fuck people don't think of this but the only reason I can think of is most young people don't want to any type of manuel labor for years since all of them were told at a young age they were always different from everyone else when in fact their not and that's one of the reasons you have so many whiny faggots in the states.
>>
>>132560636
This is true, but even in those jobs, a hardworking english-speaking white guy can outperform a beaner any day.
I used to paint, surrounded by beaners, but surpassed them all within a few months and was making $20 an hour within a year.
>>
>>132556543
You couldn't work construction either, flabbyarms.
>>
>>132562857
>>132562919
Currently a Bus Admin major with a concentration in Finance, But I think I may swap out to Computer and Information Systems and try to become a Software Engineer.

Seems like there's actually more money potential in Software Development than management, and it seems less draining on your soul, with potential to be a creative thing.

If I stay as a Business major I plan to work for the Government in Public Administration or something like that, probably just anything I can get. Definitely been looking at government jobs though.
>>
>>132561408
Anybody?
>>
>>132554654
Because people are told from childhood and on into adulthood that it's flipping burgers or going to college, and most trades are hard on a man.
>>
The mammarian monster in OPs pic
>>
>>132560636
What's wrong with that? Division of labor is efficient. Maybe they aren't flawless plumbers or HVAC techs but they can outwork you.
>>
>>132562410
Look at apprenticing or see if they have a program at your local community college. Most do, and it's like 8-12 weeks which should get you enough experience to get in the door with someone.

Welding is one of the best professions to get into and pays fucking great.
>>
>>132563863
i think it has to do with the feminization of men in general, we have never been so faggy, so sensitive, men are willing to go 100k into debt to flip burgers than doing a skilled well paying trade.
another reason is, Trades isn't Instagrameable
it's pays well, but it's not fancy, and people want to give this impression on social media.
>>
>>132564059
It's more about high-risk high-reward personalities

I went to college because I thought it would be lucrative long-term, with higher odds of a big break.

Hasn't really paid off a few years out, but I still have a solid 30+ years for it to.
>>
>>132563791
Nothing wrong with wanting to do software development but CIS is a meme degree that will get you nowhere. Do proper CS.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170705-212652.png (790KB, 1080x1258px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170705-212652.png
790KB, 1080x1258px
>>132564059
>Not instagrammable
Wear your safety glasses folks
>>
>>132564217
School doesn't offer CS, thought I could get software jobs with a CIS degree if I knew my shit?
>>
>>132564263
Real glasses have saved me like that before. I switched to frames permanently after that, leaving my boxes of contacts on the shelf indefinitely.
>>
Because trades are littered with boomers who will never retire because they are poor fags and somehow immortal
>>
>>132555069
cant find apprentice ships anymore, its a 2 sided thing, bosses dont wanna pay and have a learner on hand only for them to fuck off for mine work after the years and money put into them, and kids dont want to work for under minimum wage for shit job. that and a massive oversupply of unemployed people that already have done their apprenticeship so no need to train up more
>>
>>132564059
Good post, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPuI_pbCYOI
>>
>>132564359
You can. And more importantly than knowing your shit, build a portfolio now. Throw up everything you have on GitHub. Make a website with like WordPress and explain some concept with example code. You'll get offers you didn't ask for.

Also, move to a tech hub. Seattle, Dallas, LA/Bay area.

Salaries plummet as you radiate from those regions. What would yield 120k in those cities will get you about 50-60k anywhere else.
>>
File: texas.png (153KB, 1142x1376px) Image search: [Google]
texas.png
153KB, 1142x1376px
>>132564263
>>132564398
Safety glasses tan turns women on in Texas. All shades and all creeds.
>>
File: kevin specballs.gif (980KB, 227x221px) Image search: [Google]
kevin specballs.gif
980KB, 227x221px
>>132564621
>>
>>132564059
Yeah whatever, tell people their whole lives they need to do something to be successful and most people will buy into it, that is what it comes down to.

Trades pay decently, supposing you can get on somewhere with benefits and all. They'll cripple you though.
>>
>>132556257
>Electricians, Welders, Car mechanics, barely lift anything heavy at all

Confirmed for zero experience in any of the above trades.

I've done industrial maintenance including electrical work, welded (stick, MIG/FCAW and a little TIG) and built vehicles from wrecks for a used car lot.
>>
>>132562811
No. If you want to go mechanics go into diesel mechanics.
>>
>>132561369
Have you ever been to a site? Or been involved in a trade outside of walking through a home Depot? 1 week of training will get you as far as getting your safety certs, a walk through on a site, and if you're lucky they'll tell you how a light switch works. Go troubleshoot and repair a 350' tower crane with a full concrete load swinging in the air above a couple hundred men, no prints, manufactured in Germany and recerted for the US then sold to a canadian in the middle of -30C and 60k gusts. Every hour is around $10k loss for the customer. Go do that on a week's training you mong.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 693x586px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 693x586px
Keeping society running for ungrateful bastards, no thanks. Let them eat cake or each other. I'll be alright Holmes
>>
>>132560391
>you wanna hobble around like you're 90 by the time you're 40? go work with your hands, and cripple yourself for the rest of your life, dumb shits.

Doesn't apply to machinists, many of who so enjoy the trade they have home shops and do it into old age taking small contracts or doing repair machining. Dindus can't into real machining so vacancies will remain. Becoming a good machinist takes several years of experience but more is always better.

A mix of manual and CNC skill is ideal for the aspiring machinist because it makes you more versatile and valuable. Taking CAD first is my recommendation because it will make machining go much easier. In many shops the machinist also designs parts or improvements to existing parts which were brought in because they failed. My machinistbros make very good money unfucking tire production machinery shipped to a famous German tire company plant in the Southeast.
>>
>>132565307
I dont like your flag....but i agree with you. that guy doesnt really work in them fields and if he does he works for some manufacturing place where robots do the bulk of the work.
>>
I can't become a doctor without college, and my family will disown me if I don't become one.

Also I wanna be a doctor too.
>>
>>132555069

blue collar worker here

I make more than all of the professors and college shills who told me I'd never get paid to stare out a window all day, pic related
>>
>>132566118
underrated post and understaffed position
>>
>>132561584
>There's so many people out there wanting to work.

Wanting doesn't mean shit. Qualifications, skill and experience get you hired.
>>
>>132562732
Both. Build proprietary automated systems on your own platform, make bank in the technocracy, gain legitimate skill in and outside your field, don't destroy your body with 40+ years of physical labor.
>>
File: 1491897672766.jpg (1MB, 1280x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1491897672766.jpg
1MB, 1280x1020px
>its a 4chan talks about construction thread

these are all hilarious and as someone who's worked in construction for 9 years from laborer to management, its painfully obvious that most of both the supporters and detractors have no idea what they're talking about and have probably never worked a trade
>>
>>132562410
Get on welding forums and see if you can be a helper and learn how to fit while getting some experience. If you want money welding and especially if you want to start your own business later, get good at fitting too. Post your location in welding forums because someone nearby may hire you.

Weldingweb, the Miller forums, and rig welder forums are worth your time. Keep in practice while job hunting if you can. Welding is a perishable skill.
>>
>>132566592
>566592 â–¶
>I can't become a doctor without college, and my family will disown me if I don't become one.
>Also I wanna be a doctor too.
why dont you cut the fucking umbilical cord, be a fucking adult, and decide what you want/need to do? worry about now and build on it. make mid term goals. when they are dead and gone and you are here doing what they wanted do you think you will be happy? you think you can find a mate and make them happy when you are miserable doing what other people wanted instead of what you wanted?
>>
>>132567159
Did you even read the second part of my very short post or did your lack of secondary education shine through
>>
>>132566698
or who you know.
>>
>>132566608
I can't wait until they automate interstate trucking, and a ~10mil guerilla army of pissed off truckers lays siege to the coasts. Hauling ass down the streets of San Francisco/LA/New York with scythed F-150's. It will be beautiful.
>>
>>132567304

I rather expect he thinks you're in denial about wanting to be a doctor too.
>>
>>132563232
Aircraft mechanic here and IMO every engineer should get some technician experience because it would make them superior engineers.

If I ran a business with engineers and technicians I'd encourage each to learn about the other, and would not have a problem assigning an engineer some time with techs to learn about userland.
>>
>>132562085
Every person who starts out as a welder says they want to be an diver. Tbh it's a bad decision. I make $50 an hour as a journeyman in the pipe fitters union. $46 an hour is considered bare bones minimum for a journeyman. I've only been doing it for 6 years
>>
>>132563791
>If I stay as a Business major I plan to work for the Government in Public Administration or something like that, probably just anything I can get. Definitely been looking at government jobs though.

Good idea as the Federal retirement system is excellent and you'd be insulated from the next Recession.
>>
>>132566118
This. They will remain necessary and unlike auto mechanics there are far fewer diesel mechs.
>>
>>132567304
to be honest no. im drunk and speed reading. my bad. but i stick by my advice. do what you want. if you fail? try the next one. nothing else to do. life moves on with or without you. i can only really advise do what makes you happy AND can be used as a service/product/etc. pretty generic i know but its the best advice you can get.
P.S. And take care of your kids. they are your legacy. They will shape the future. and no matter how racist i may seem i teach my kids to judge on character. the world itself will redpill them however you feel what the red pill is
>>
>>132560663
I got a CompSci degree in Security. InfoSec is going to be a in demand industry given that everything will be switching to computers more and more everyday. Those systems are going to need maintenance and people to make sure it stays secure.

For anyone wanting to do CompSci, do Information Security. Coding is a valuable skill but the market is incredibly competitive compared to infosec. In my opinion of course.
Most people think of coding when they think of IT. So naturally that's what they try to go and get a degree in. Lots fail, obviously because coding is one of those things you have to want to do. If you don't like it, you won't understand it, and hate the shit out of it. I sure did. Hence why I did InfoSec

I seriously feel like I'm fucking advertising a degree plan. lol

You get my drift though
>>
>>132562732
>Software Development, Business Administration/Finance, or become an Electrician?

If you have no connections, become an electrician. If you do, go into finance. Software is extremely competitive right now.
>>
File: NwgC5z1.jpg (914KB, 1958x2611px) Image search: [Google]
NwgC5z1.jpg
914KB, 1958x2611px
>>132556257
>up to 80k
I was agreeing until there, underwater welders make over $100/hr depending on how deep you go so I doubt the glass ceiling is 80k when my union gig can net me "up to 60k :^)" depending on how much of my soul I sell to overtime labor

source am certified welder

also went to trade school and came out debt free making 20/hr as a 19yo
>>
>>132560123
>What happened?
10 years in the building trades. That's what happened. I know far more people severely injured working in the building trades than in Vietnam/Gulf Wars. Most tradesmen are cripples by the time they hit 65.
>>
Because you can make six figures out of college with an engineering degree.
>>
>>132556257
>Underwater Welder
Bisso Marine literally has a waitlist lasting 6 years
>>
File: dasitmane.jpg (89KB, 659x506px) Image search: [Google]
dasitmane.jpg
89KB, 659x506px
>>132554654
>tfw about to start school to be a mechanic

Hows it look like for prospecting Mechanics guys? The school I go to does Welding and A/C repair too, I still have enough time to change it if I want
>>
>>132558192
No speako taco.
>>
File: gim.png (97KB, 1094x1102px) Image search: [Google]
gim.png
97KB, 1094x1102px
>>132554654
I've been wondering it myself lately. STEM jobs are where money/happiness is at and is a win-win-win situation for nearly everyone.
>>
>>132554654
Because it's not actually a good idea.

People forget that 90% of trade workers are men while 50%+ of degree holding workers are women.

It's almost like (they) are lYing to you to trick you into being a literal uneducated slave.
>>
>>132556257
>Tfw I make 80k/year doing business intelligence and don't have to risk dying underwater welding Mr. Stein's oil rig
>>
>>132564955
To be fair cost of living also plummets as you move away from those areas.
>>
>>132554654
Because goy, yous can't goes anywhere without a 4, errr 6 year degree I mean!
>>
>>132554818
How do I get into it? I'm very interested.
>>
>>132554654
Americans dont want to do real work, and really why should they when they got mexicans to do it.
>>
in australia, its viewed as a "cop-out" if you get a trade instead of a degree after finishing school. im one semester into uni and i'm very quickly realising that a trade is much better than any degree that i could choose. i can work during the week and pursue hobbies on the weekend, instead of going to uni 4 days a week, working a part time job for 3 days a week and doing assignments and study on top of that. but my parents would literally disown me if i dropped out of university to get a trade, so it looks like i'm staying put :^)
>>
Because I like showing up to work like a real man, not a trade retard with plumbers ass and lugz boots
>>
>>132570369
Your job must be very easy.
>>
>>132571144
A >real man isn't someone modeling a jacket that's obviously too small for him just because it makes the open-jacket look appear so much more fitted.
>>
>>132562732
If you even have to make that choice you wouldn't make it in trades.
>>
>>132564263
I hate those, doesn't matter if they're on or not I still get stuff in my eyes.
>>
>>132570727
>I could give in to short term desires
>but my parents want me to think about my future
>>
>>132571242
Good eye. Shit is way too small, Schekelburg nearly got me.
>>
>>132571478
No problem, fellow conscious consumer.
>>
>>132560636
I bet you can't hit a fucking nail leaf
>>
>>132554654
I thank God everyday that both of my parents taught me that there is no shame in honest work.
>>
File: brendan fraser how bad.png (135KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
brendan fraser how bad.png
135KB, 500x522px
>>132555069
I dont remember that, but I do remember the constant "you dont want to flip burgers your whole life do you?" or "go to college! you'll be the next Bill Gates!"

Ironically, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerberg all have one thing in common. Know what it is?

They all dropped out of College.

And so now, I'm 26, and I NEED the part time job I have right now, because it gives me insurance. And I feel like I got conned, because I could have gone to Trade School after High School, back when I didn't need to worry about insurance, and my parents would just as willingly paid for it, and in fact, probably paid less than what they did for college.

So i think about going to a Trade School now, but I have to think about the commute and whether or not I'd be able to keep my current job for the insurance while doing that on the side
>>
>>132572270
>one thing in common
>they attended college

Are u trolling?

Are you trying to weaken your own point.
>>
>>132554654
Isn't the pay still shitty?
>>
>>132563670
the problem is most construction companies dont give a shit about the quality of the worker, because mexican workers are cheap and expendable. An American worker might be better quality and might be a better employee, but you'd have to pay him a higher wage and provide him with insurance, and you can't fire him without a good reason because he probably has a union too.
>>
>>132572643
Yes.

>inb4 an illiterate trade posts a graph he doesn't understand.
>>
>>132572610
And they didn't fucking finish it, because they realized they didn't fucking need it.

You don't need to go to college for computer science to learn how to computer. it's all shit you can learn on your own.

I have a friend who went to college for compsci. he left with a degree and college debt, and felt like he wasted his time, and didn't really learn much more he didn't already know, having been doing the computer thing since he was a kid.
>>
>>132572759
Well then there you go OP. People don't want to go into trade because it's guaranteed poor mans life.

I'm not saying college is the ticket to a life of riches, but at least it raises the odds a little better.
>>
>>132572857
It gets you through HR filters
>>
>>132554654

1. Photographers go to college.
2. That chick in the business suit definitely has an MBA.
3. The third guy is imaginary -- Mexicans and blacks are hired for construction. If you want to be that dude, you have to go to college and get a degree in construction management.
4. That woman has an AA degree in some form of healthcare, at the very least, and would make hella more money if she got a bachelor's degree.
5. I don't know what that last woman is doing, but she could probably just be a trophy wife and do a lot better than construction work.
>>
>>132554654

tl;dr: terrible choice. white tradesman have ZERO honor and are to be loathed.

Because Trade jobs don't confer power, authority, or provide the necessary tools to control ones society, people, and their racial destiny.

Trades is for snow-niggers. Pure and simple. It is for stupid sub-human whites who don't value education and only care about their endless entertainment and hobbies. Every white tradesman has turned his back on his race. He will NEVER do a single fucking thing to help other white people; instead, it will be a never ending string of purchases such as lifted rolling-coal trucks, jet skis, gaming PCs, man-cave upgrades, and stupid shit like that.

Post any pro-trade thread on /pol/ and watch all the snow-niggers tell each other about how much stupid shit they bought. Count how many of them are proud about the pro-white school they built. (pro-tip: the answer is always zero).

Call to action: never hire a white tradesman. Never show respect to a white tradesman. They are beneath you. Hire a brown man to do those jobs. At least he'll be grateful and won't try and virtue-signal endlessly about his stupid career choices crying about:

>muh working with muh handz so honorable!
>>
>>132572906
>I'm not saying college is the ticket to a life of riches, but at least it raises the odds a little better.
not when the job market is suddenly oversaturated with college graduates. There's a reason Boomers will tell you to "go to college and just get a degree, any degree!" because back in their day, simply having a degree made you stand out as special. These days, the ONLY jobs that applies to are public service jobs, like trash man and park ranger. These days there's so many college graduates that you better have gone in for a specific purpose, or you are screwed and that "any degree" is worthless unless you want one of those afforementioned public service jobs
>>
>>132572857
Funny how you can't get a job in tech without credentials
>>
>>132573324
70% of the population doesn't have a bachelor's degree or higher

They didn't stop being rare, but they did stop being as valuable simply because employers don't want to justify the salaries they should command. It's collusion to bring down worker wages.

>Have a BA/BS in something
>Oh, you have a BA/BS, well that's not not 'truly' experience!
>Guess I'll have to hire someone else for much less, because you're not experiencially qualified
>>
>>132573324
So right. If you're strapped in debt, wtf is a good job when all you do is pay school loans?
>>
>>132573324
Oh boy here we go! Illiterate trade is talking about economics backed up by "common sense" and not facts or math or education.

Sweetie you are embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>132560636
Mexican/Guatemalan laborers are capable of anything with proper supervision and leadership. They usually don't have the vision/initiative necessary to complete the job by themselves but if they have an alpha type leader they work hard and are very effective. Every construction site in Socal is Mexi/Guats etc. being managed by a handful of higher IQ ubermensch.
>>
>>132571146
It's not too bad, just a lot of it. Traveling to the client every week is probably the worst part
>>
>>132573715
Stock options? Free tuition? How about discount with partnering companies?

Even McDonald's has these. I hope you didn't get memed
>>
>>132557419
This....Mechanics will not be replaced by robots any time soon, I'd say maybe not even in the next 100 years, possibly if we ever build something like Bishop from Aliens, a fully functioning human-like replica, then yes. The intricacies of diagnostics, disassembly and replacement of complex mechanical and electrical assemblies is far beyond the capabilities of a robot at this point.

t. BMW master tech with 20 years experience
>>
>>132554654
Because they want to improve their social strata, rather than cash out their future potential and health simply for a chance to make $40k a few years sooner than their peers who are capable of making better decisions. The university kids who are ambitious and make good decisions with their money and studies get to travel the world and have interesting careers, and their kids will have opportunities that you're probably not even capable of, while their peers that feel for the Mike Rowe trades meme will grow up to become glorified townies.
>>
>>132554654

Because in the end the payout is shit. You can only do hard manual labor for so long.

Unions used to keep these people protected from being shit-canned once their knees creaked and their back gave out. Unions existed to protect these busy work folks from being aged out.

Too bad so many of them voted to kill unions, convinced by Republicans it was commies and niggers holding them down. Dumb fucks. Yes in the US, union workers voted republican and when they got crushed voted Republican more...HAHA!

So that's it. These types of jobs have ZERO longevity, even if you can make sweet bank in your 20s & 30s doing them.
>>
>>132575439
Most of the 'trades' kids I know are borderline retarded. Like my cousin just graduated welding school, and got a job right out the door, which is objectively good because he's a serial fuckup. I go to visit him at a worksite for lunch and there's literally ten identical cherry red BMW's being leased to ten identical 20-something-year-old mouthbreathers sitting out in the middle of a gravel pit eating slim jims for lunch. My cousin's beemer got repo'd two weeks ago.
>>
File: 1484972610589.jpg (26KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484972610589.jpg
26KB, 367x500px
>>132554654
Going to trade school to become a carpenter, along with college to get a degree in mechanical engineering.
>>
File: 2017-07-06_01.29.44.jpg (199KB, 1077x387px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-06_01.29.44.jpg
199KB, 1077x387px
Who else here is a rich NEET?

>tfw never had to slave away at a uni for some meme degree just to go into debt.
>tfw never had to slave away at a job and loose my time and freedom.
>tfw never had to take out any loans.

Pic related is my bank account. I also have 350k invested in stocks and crypto. I have zero expenses and live in a 3,500 square foot luxury home in a gated neighborhood for completely free. I have unlimited free time for vidya, working out, reading. I will never have a need for a job. It baffles me that people willingly become slaves. Have fun with bad backs and knees with your stuipid "muh skilled labor jobs" I'll be enjoying my life of luxury and freedom as you slave your life away for the next 50 years just for a small taste at neetdom when you're old.
>>
>>132554654

I've seriously considered changing careers.

Been in medicine for almost 10 years.

Labor jobs are hard on the body, though. There is no longevity in them.

Seriously debated a STEM field, but I hate school.
>>
>>132554654
Blame the boomers. Got alot of shit advice on how college is so important that completely ignores the debt, time, and bullshit. I'm a mechanic and I make a good living.
>>
>>132555781
it was the same shit in the 80s and probably before that. shop class was for the retards and jocks. all the classes for the smart kids were called college prep and the goal was guess was? to get you into college. there was no big conspiracy. just people making decisions based on what looked to be the right thing at the time. get over yourselves.
>>
>>132554654
Because the college meme is too strong. Libs think there's a one size fits all for life, which might also explain why they also push fat acceptance
>>
>>132576512
not everyone here is a trust fund baby anon
>>
>>132577023
Why not? Did your parents not care about any of you?
>>
>>132576512
>has over 500k
>doesn't know how to take a screenshot
>>
File: fcb.jpg (10KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
fcb.jpg
10KB, 316x400px
>>132576512
You do you Supreme Gentleman.
>>
>>132575157
They don't wanna' hear this, anon. This is a victim thread and what you said is not easily refuted.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 285x282px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 285x282px
>>132572906
>it's guaranteed poor mans life

It's obvious you know nothing about trade salaries. Depending on what you go into, it can vary from 45-80K+ a year. You could pay off your student loans in a few years, and if you're not retarded you could stack up decent cash in another 5-10, once again, depending on your specific field. Electrical automation is very profitable and requires you to not be retarded.
>>
>>132569303
>also went to trade school and came out debt free making 20/hr as a 19yo

This is the point though. You think that's good.

>Went to standard college
>Software engineering degree
>Graduated and started making $39.50 / hour for a desk job that didn't care how many hours I worked as long as I got the job done.
>Regular raises and bonuses every year
>>
>>132577730
It's obviously you haven't looked at the salary for college degree holders.

PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT THINGS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. YOUR WAGES ARE OBJECTIVELY LOWER AND YOUR WORKING CONDITIONS ARE OBJECTIVELY SHIT.
>>
>>132554654
I think the college meme boils down to
>tradesmen work hard for their living.
>don't want to work hard
>go to college so you don't have to "work hard" for your living.
>get useless degree
>be poor
>>
>>132577730
This "80k a year is good" meme...

80/year is just above highschooler wages.youre not raising a family on that, Jesus.
>>
>>132572127
this is the only true answer, everyone needs to work and as long as you pay you're bills you're doing it. this doesn't mean you have to settle for a shitty job but having any job is good.
>>
because I as an electrical engineer make on average more than twice yearly what my trade counter-part makes.
>>
Elevator apprentice here.
Job requires strength, skill, long hours, dangerous as fuck, crazy amounts of intelligence(electrical, mechanical, as well as people skills) I'm going to easily clear 80k in my second year(at 55% of full mechanic wage) and like it more than any job I have ever worked.
I often work with other trades and to be good you have to be intelligent as hell in almost all of them. Trade work is the best.
>>
>>132554654
I work manual labor, only because I'm young, I enjoy it, and I need money for college. I wouldn't want to do this shit for 30+ years. The body has its limits
>>
>>132578132
The mid-career salary of college graduates that you see in pamphlets is representative of graduates from top schools, like the top 25. The poor middle-class fools in the other ~10,000 diploma mills across America are making a bet that is increasing in both cost and risk as the pool of candidates joke-college degrees look for work swells. I would say that for a level-headed middle class person who can't get into a top 25 or top 50 school, trade school is a very safe option.

Going to college in America, ca. 2017, is like buying a lottery ticket after the game is already over.
>>
>>132557419

Robots put together cars mostly.

They can't reverse it and have them take it apart the same way?

Also, something like Underwater Welding is the first thing a robot would be tasked with. There's a fucking nuclear powered robot drone on Mars testing rocks with lasers.

Half you assholes don't even understand most of your "tools" are "robots."
>>
>>132578606
Try reading this site instead of pamphlets.

https://www.bls.gov

You are laughably uninformed.
>>
>>132575439
>Started doing tile work on the side for $15/hr (currently up to $50/hr)
>As a radiologist I see more white collar workers with wear and tear in their hands, backs, feet than any other group
>Union workers voted republican this year because the previous three presidents fuck them over especially clinton and obama
>90% of the unions I have to join both medicine and construction are scams

>>132576328
You've no idea, a couple of doctors I do consulting work with who are making 150-200k/yr are living paycheck to paycheck but man their wives look hot as hell and their lives look lavish as fuck.
>>
>>132578501
Be safe! Good luck make that money
>>
>>132563141
Lot of naivete in here.
>>
>>132567507
I swear the engineering design process of some manufacturing companies makes me wonder if they're just tossing a pack of crayons in a room full of chimps and taking whatever what comes out.
>>
>>132566808
>40+ years of physical labor
Kek. Damn.
>not living rent free with granny and saving a shitload
>not inheriting decent assets & property from parents and grandparents from both maternal & paternal side
Fuck that shit. I retired after 11 years of long haul and fuck depending on any 401k or pension. SAVE YOUR MONEY!
>>
I've been trying to get into trades but I can't get fucking hired fuck me
>>
>>132567362
That's not until 20+ years (legal, infrastructure, security, mitigating vulnerability). Plus, there will always be a human during transportation for liability, observation and security issues.
>hauling $100k worth of cargo fully automated without no man
>>
>>132560626
My parents focused more on my low functioning autistic brother than me. Guess Im fucked.
>>
>>132578948
Automation already took a major toll on trade work, it use to take dozens of people months if not years to build a house, now it takes 5 people a few months. Either way trades arnt going anywhere in our lifetime. Some shit like truck drivers will go but skilled trades wont.
>>
>>132554654
>fag with a camera
>real skill
>real job
my real sides
Thread posts: 201
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.