[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: 2006018.jpg (806KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2006018.jpg
806KB, 2000x2000px
As someone who's...pulling away from atheism, and trying to reconnect with the more divine elements I've been ignoring: Catholicism seems a good choice. It offers a depth of tradition, decorum, legitimacy, history, and worldwide presence that's unmatched in Christianity. However, two aspects of it just don't sit right with me. First is intercessionary prayer to saints. How is that not idolatry? Praying to humans? Second is the Vatican itself; the vast hoard of wealth seems to run counter to the message of Jesus. I was hoping some of the Catholics on here could explain these to me. I'm not here to debate, I just want to understand and hopefully be able to move past those misgivings.
>>
The Catholic Church is an abomination.
>>
>>132488865
Kid-diddle is all that matters, kuffir
>>
>>132488865
Here, go nuts
https://www.fisheaters.com/saints.html

Somewhere in the Bible there's a story where st. Elias prayed for rain and it rained for months. The point is that prayers by saints are more powerful.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-07-05-10-40-17.png (281KB, 1375x1674px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-07-05-10-40-17.png
281KB, 1375x1674px
>>132488865
Orthodoxy.
>>
>>132488865
Here's the problem. Religion isn't really about choice it's about something that calls to you. You should be reading different things and eventually, if there is something in you that does want some kind of divinity, there will be one that harmonizes with the way you perceive the world. that will be the one.

It may not exist in any strict interpretation of any major dogma that exists. Be prepared to play fast and loose with some things, but remember that you aren't choosing ice cream.

Oh keep this is mind as well, your religion reflects you, just you, and has no bearing on the people around you or obligation that they give a shit. That is all.
>>
>>132489027
Nice Jew meme. You believe all of that stuff? You don't see how they used it to corrupt society?
>>
>>132489702
Explain
>>
>>132490027
It's the oldest of the Christian religions. It's completely authentic. You should go to one and see for yourself.
>>
File: 1498929291521.jpg (1MB, 1870x3780px) Image search: [Google]
1498929291521.jpg
1MB, 1870x3780px
EMBRACE

YOUR

FOLKWAYS
>>
>>132489695
But even if they have an "amplifying" effect, what makes it okay to offer a prayer to them in the first place? That's my misgiving, not whether it works or not.
>>
>>132488865
You have 0 knowledge of Christian theology.
The best redpill is to believe in one god and scrape all the other bullshit aside, all of it.
>>
>>132490233
Greek, Eastern Orthodox? Is there a difference? I've only vaguely heard of it as "those bearded Russian wizards" so I really have no idea.
>>
>>132490027
See most Americans don't know about Orthodoxy. That it started in 33 ad with the Apostles. There was Roman orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy or Greek. In about 900 ad they split because of the pope. Roman Orthodoxy became Catholics. I'm still learning about it myself, but I recommend you check it out. Nothing wrong with being a Catholic though.
>>
>>132488865
If you are wanting to go Catholic, find a church who has Latin mass or a SSPX church. Stay away from the 'progressive' churches.
>>
>>132490522
Eastern Orthodox is one church organized into several smaller groups: Greek, Russian, Antiochian are the biggest in America. There's several smaller ones too like the Ukrainian, Serbian, and Bulgarian churches too. Coptic Orthodox are not EO (tho very similar) due to a disagreement sometime in the 4th century. In the US, the most convert-friendly churches that use the most English tend to be:
Orthodox Church in America (Russian)
Antiochian Orthodox Church

But a quick glance at the parish's website will give you an idea. Try to find a place that does all or most of the liturgy in English. If you just want to visit to see what they're about, you can give me your rough location and I can probably point you in the right direction.
>>
>>132490522
Yes and no. In the US they have those different varieties because they cater to those ethnic backgrounds. I go to an Antiochian church. So it's more Mediterranean. My Priest is from Lebanon. I also have a Greek version near me, but I haven't tried it. Russian versions are pretty strict I believe. Make woman wear head scarves, and they speak in Cyrillic.
>>
>>132488865
Catholic church is luciferian.
>>
Because fuck you, that's why.
>>
>>132491153
>>132491204
Thanks for the info, guys
>>
>>132491309
How so? Aside from the current Pope's questionable nature of course
>>
>>132488865
Dude don't join the Cathocuck conversion

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11886097

Article related
Join a real confession like Protestantism or Orthodoxy
>>
>>132491889
>indulgences
>protecting pedophile priests
>horrifying modernist architecture
>liturgical chaos since Novus Ordo
>>
>>132493162
>indulgences
Not any more, right?
>pedos
A good point
>modernist architecture
Wait, don't they build cathedrals anymore?
>Novus Ordo
Sounds juicy, what happened?
>>
>>132488865
You aren't praying to the saint to give you something, you're praying you the saint to intercede on your behalf. It's like asking a higher authority coworker to put in a good word with your boss.
>>
File: 1499269780947.jpg (125KB, 631x573px) Image search: [Google]
1499269780947.jpg
125KB, 631x573px
>>132488865
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11886097

Vatican police have raided a cardinal's apartment where a drug-fuelled homosexual orgy was taking place.

Police entered an apartment at the former palace of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (or Holy Office) last month not far from the Vatican City.

The occupant of the apartment is alleged to be a priest who serves as a secretary to cardinal Francesco Coccopalmerio, the head of the Pontifical Council for Legislative texts and a personal adviser to the Pope.

>muh based catholics
>>
>>132490636
>33 ad
325 AD*

So, given that we're discussing LARP here and all, I have two questions:

Firstly, ignoring rules that Christians are not obliged to and in fact discouraged from following (The Mosaic Law) what actually is bad about saint veneration, folk festivals, contemplative/meditative practices, rituals, community, and syncreticized practices? What else IS there to religion if you remove everything except talking to yourself while kneeling? You just become a real life atheist straw man of some skittish sheep that needs a sky daddy to tell him what to do.

Secondly, what do the Orthodox (of various ethnic varieties) do with pedophiles and homos in the clergy? inb4 hurr durr they're too pure and infallible to do that. Do the higher ups just bump them off? Or does the fact that Orthodox clergy are often expected to be married and have children keep homos out?
>>
>>132494307
I think the fact that they are married makes that issue less of an issue. One could argue the church started with Peter.
>>
>>132494307
I've heard an argument that's compelling to me: that all the traditions, festivals, and rituals provide an enduring framework. If faith is lost but those traditions are in place, they can be a scaffolding for faith to grow again. Without it, once faith is lost there is nothing.
>>
File: Screenshot_38.jpg (81KB, 1022x602px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_38.jpg
81KB, 1022x602px
>>132497037
>Without it, once faith is lost there is nothing.

All your faith from a personal god in one book, what more do you need ?
>>
>>132497622
In a general social sense, not necessarily a personal one. But you can't pretend a person never goes through a crisis and loss of faith in life.
>>
>>132496772
That's what I was thinking. Sending homosexuals into the clergy was an old tradition in the Catholic West, I have to imagine not letting single men be priests would have certainly prevented a pedophilic culture from emerging in the clergy. That having been said I was more so wondering what actually happens if an Orthodox priest fiddles a kid. Is he just murdered by others in the clergy? Do the higher ups throw denounce him? Throw him to the wolves? Help the police in sending him to prison (which might as well be a death sentence).

>One could argue the church started with Peter.
Christianity certainly started in 33AD but it wasn't until the Council at Nicaea that there was even a unified church at all. EVERY Christian group claimed to have been founded by the Apostles; the ones that survive are just the ones that didn't get crushed by Constantine post Council for being ludicrous or insane.

>>132497622
Could you please answer the first question in >>132494307?
>>
>>132489702
This. Avoid papal nonsense that was added by them, and an unchanging church without a Pope Francis to push BLM or climate change.
>>
File: Fram.png (105KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
Fram.png
105KB, 300x188px
>>132488865
>pulling away from atheism, and trying to reconnect with the more divine elements I've been ignoring
Glad to hear it, Anon!

>Catholicism seems a good choice. It offers a depth of tradition, decorum, legitimacy, history, and worldwide presence that's unmatched in Christianity. However, two aspects of it just don't sit right with me.
>prayer to saints
>the wealth of the Vatican
You mentioned things about Catholicism that seem good to you, and some that don't... but the two things you don't like are part of Catholicism's tradition and history, which you do admire.

By what authoritative standard can the good and bad of the Catholic faith be judged? Catholicism teaches that its received tradition is one of the standards by which doctrines and customs are to be measured. They can also be measured by Scripture — but, as their historic tradition holds, Scripture can only be authoritatively interpreted by those who rule from the Vatican.

Are you ready to commit your eternal soul to a church that tells you that its traditions are effectively self-validating?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXeb-x63wGI
>>
>>132497622
>protestants praise the book made by catholics
>>
>>132488865
wasnt yesterday enough ?
>samethreadfagging
>>
>>132488865
I will answer you seriously because you seem sincere.
You have to understand the Catholic tradition, and Christianity in general, is full of nuisance, context, and paradox that can only be understood through more synthetic, not analytic, thinking. Catholic and Orthodox theologians believe the bible is the word of God, but they also recognize that the word of God cannot adequately be rendered into human language. This is not a modern convention either, it goes back to at least Augustine. So in Christianity everything is a constant interpretive struggle, weighing your actions and praying for guidance.
So no, saints are not idolatry. You are not "praying" to the saint at all.
The trinity is not polytheism. It is monotheism.
It may seem like a non-sequitur, but I promise you the concepts are trying to unify some much larger concept.
I can't really answer your concerns about the Vatican itself. I will say that it is not nearly the monolithic entity it may seem from the outside, and I know many who aren't fans of the current Pope.
My best advice is not try to find a church that "fits" you. It is not the job of religion to adapt to you, it's your job to adapt to it. I think you fill find much more fulfillment that way. Just study and open your heart and God will guide you.
>>
>>132488865
Def dont join the catholics
Just be nondenominational. Read the Bible and interpret it, maybe go to a non-specific church.
nvm just go to anything that isnt mormon or catholic
>>
>>132499370

>Being this deluded , catholics wrote the bible?
you only compiled it and you had 73 books , martin luther btfod it back to 66
>>
>>132500082
>Bible is the word of god
>Removed books from the bible
>>
>>132500820

Books what never was canon to begin with

Bel and the Dragon
>27. Then Daniel took pitch, and fat, and hair, and did seethe them together, and made lumps thereof: this he put in the dragon's mouth, and so the dragon burst in sunder : and Daniel said, Lo, these are the gods ye worship.
>>
File: post-36426-138188758729.gif (774KB, 1181x1639px) Image search: [Google]
post-36426-138188758729.gif
774KB, 1181x1639px
>>132488865
>posting the censored version
when will you dirty christkikes finally accept your religion is for perverts and theives
>>
>>132501663
Why do you love the jews so much?
>>
>>132502113
you stupid christian
i know in your pathetic little brain, the only way you think to escape the jews' wrath is to be a follower of jesus
but jesus is a jew himself >>132502014
so you falsely accuse me of "loving jews"
you're insane
every last one of you filthy christians is insane
>>
File: How Firm a Foundation.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
How Firm a Foundation.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>132499946
>My best advice is not try to find a church that "fits" you. It is not the job of religion to adapt to you, it's your job to adapt to it.
Well-said, Anon. As C.S. Lewis put it in The Weight of Glory:
>If Christianity could tell me no more […] than my own temperament led me to surmise already, then Christianity would be no higher than myself. If it has more to give me, I must expect it to be less immediately attractive than “my own stuff.” […] If our religion is something objective, then we must never avert our eyes from those elements in it which seem puzzling or repellent; for it will be precisely the puzzling or the repellent which conceals what we do not yet know and need to know.

I do take issue with one assertion, though:
>the bible is the word of God, but [at the same time] the word of God cannot adequately be rendered into human language.
The Bible is not a human-authored endeavor to express the ineffable; it is God's perfectly authored message to the beings He created in His image. We cannot understand Him, except He make Himself known — and He knows how to make Himself sufficiently known to His creatures.

Finite creatures in a fallen world cannot understand the infinite glory of God perfectly, but, through prayerful study, we can know the things He has chosen to express to us in Scripture perfectly well.
>>
File: truculent american jesus.jpg (122KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
truculent american jesus.jpg
122KB, 600x750px
>>132502758
>The Bible is not a human-authored endeavor to express the ineffable; it is God's perfectly authored message to the beings He created in His image
translation: every dirty christkike who follows the shitty bible becomes a christian
NO SHIT, SHERLOCK
>>
File: Baphomet-by-Levi.jpg (190KB, 760x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Baphomet-by-Levi.jpg
190KB, 760x1152px
>>132488865
>Not believing in the grand architect of the universe.
>>
>>132488865
Asking the saints to fix intercede is just like asking your friend to intercede. Paul told us to intercede for each other and pray for each other. The saints are alive and in heaven with god. Why wouldn't you ask them to pray for you?

Also what hoard of wealth in the Vatican? Vatican is the biggest charitable spender in the world and the bishops have vows of poverty.
>>
>>132504375
>The saints are alive and in heaven with god
is this to do with the story christians read in The Bible whereby Jesus swoops down from heaven to collect their heads and kill all the nonbelievers? >>132416637
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.