[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just a quick question. Tomorrow I am heading t the library to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1491993624959.png (90KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
1491993624959.png
90KB, 500x439px
Just a quick question. Tomorrow I am heading t the library to get a few books. On Friday I am leaving civilisation to stay alone at my grandparents cabin in the mountains for a few months. It's a 10 hour drive from anyone else.

I want to stars reading political works. I've studied a lot of philosophy and politics, but I have never actually read the primary sources. I plan on reading all the great ones as fast as possible. How should I naturally progress through these books? Chronologically?

I figured I start with Plato, Aristotele, and Augustine.
Then move on to Anselm and Aquinas. Possibly with Confucius as well.

Who's next? Descartes? Hobbes? Locke?

Can anyone (who's actually read these works) give me a quick list of how to naturally progress through the great authors of the West? Alternatively specific books.

Thank you.

Pic not related.
>>
>>132293148
>It's a 10 hour drive from anyone else.
There's no place in Norway that's 10 a hour drive from anyone else. I mean, you can literally drive from Bergen to Oslo in 8 hours.
>>
Maybe Voltaire?
>>
You're going to get bored and end up masturbating if you're not reading with commentaries. They're extremely boring, and if not condensed, extremely repetitive. imo, without a varied list of fiction from the eras, its not worth a whole lot. You won't make it to Aristotle. Plato is fucking nyquil.
>>
>>132293571
I shouldn't have used the word drive. My apologies. It's as isolated as it gets, and I'll be left up there with no car. They'll join me for the first few days before driving back south.

I'd have to walk for 10 hours or so before meeting another person.
>>
>>132293772
I don't care. It's not ALL I would do. I'll be busy fishing and doing manual work. I'll read a couple of hours a day, at most.
>>
First read Plato's Republic then read Aristotle´s Metaphysics and Organon a couple of times. Then Plotinus and the Stoics. Descarte's Meditations. Spinoza´s Ethics. Berkeley´s Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous. Hume´s Enquiry. Kant´s 3 Critiques. Everything by Nietzsche. Heidegger´s Being and Time. At last Aquinas and Augustine
>>
>>132294143
Thanks. I'll do that then.
>>
>>132293148
Roughly chronologically is just fine. Plato, Aristotle, the Bible, Augustine, Boethius, a bit of Aquinas (he's really quite dull), Anselm, Luther, Council of Trent (i.e. Catholic response to Reformation), Descartes, Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Burke, Kant, Hegel, Marx, Kierkegaard. I would end with Heidegger and Spengler (Decline of the West). Just some suggestions.

Reading them chronologically lets you see how thought developed. I prefer it to thematic organizations.
>>
>>132293903
Well, it's not philosophy, but you should probably read Hamsun. What better place than the Norwegian wilderness?
>>
File: Mein Kampf.jpg (98KB, 1024x1001px) Image search: [Google]
Mein Kampf.jpg
98KB, 1024x1001px
>>132293148
This is all you need to read.
>>
>>132293148
>10 hour drive
I can drive about 1/3 of the width of the US in 10 hours. Does your granny live in Siberia, or are you travelling via pogo stick?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.