[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's pols opinion of living off the land?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1044.jpg (67KB, 750x277px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1044.jpg
67KB, 750x277px
I've recently won 60k in a lottery and I've been thinking of giving up my shitty job, buying a plot of land and living off the land. Should I go for it?
>>
>>132237507
60k isn't nowhere near if you want to buy a plot big enough to live off.
>>
It's not enough to live off of. 60k will buy you 10 acres in most rural areas. Never mind the infrastructure you need to get started. Invest the money wisely, live below your means, save as much money as you can, and in a few years you'll have enough.
>>
pfl
>>
>>132237507
Best thing I ever did was acquire land and farm my own food and medicinal plants.

If you don't have experience, I would suggest you get books on permaculture and adapt the land in such a way that will best serve your environment. Join seed sharing boards and places that deal with growing plants.

I have been doing it for over a decade and can tell you it takes some getting used to but is well worth it.

Expect 5 years of planning and execution before you start getting any return.
>>
Drop it in crypto. 50/50 chance you'll have $6 or $600'000'000'000
>>
>>132237507
Invest it into stocks and funds
>>
>>132237507
Almost a certainty you're going to screw it up if you jump in blind. But you can definitely go a long way starting small or joining basically a co-op or some such thing if you are serious about it.
>>
File: 17-35-45-ddc.gif (11KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
17-35-45-ddc.gif
11KB, 501x585px
>>132238154
6000 gorillons
>>
File: jakey_goes_smash.jpg (162KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
jakey_goes_smash.jpg
162KB, 600x400px
>>132237507
>living off the land
living away from 'the land' / country / rural regions?

-or-

>living OFF OF the land
living / sustaining oneself FROM the land...?
...YOU AUTISTIC, PIDGIN ENGLISH SPOUTING CUNT!!
>>
>>132237507
give it to me, i will turn it into 6000000
>>
>buy the land. that's almost always a good investment
>don't expect to live off it. much harder than it seems
>farming is more about killing than growing stuff. everything wants to eat what you're growing
>>
>>132237679
>>132237740
Sure it is, if you're not too attached to being absolutely self-sufficient. You can eat very cheaply if you're smart about what you buy and you buy it in bulk, and supplement it with what you grow for yourself. I realize that's not exactly "living off the land" but fuck, it's pretty close - enough that you wouldn't have to hold down a job for a very long time.

And you can get way more than 10 acres for $60k. Way way more if you're willing to accept shitty land, but what would be the point of that.
>>
>>132237507
Hard work, forget about shitposting
>>
>>132237507
Invest in some land, but don't expect to be immediately successful and self sufficient. Even if the property is just a hunting plot with a garden it is better than nothing. The start up cost is high and depending on where you get your property you're going to have to adapt to the environment. The best thing to do starting off, especially if you are not used to living like that, would be to keep the job and slowly build up the property. You will still have income and whatever you grow/hunt/catch will supplement your diet. You'd be surprised how small your food budget is when you maintain a good garden and kill a deer or two.

I've heard of some guys doing this but it is a huge risk, go look at some places that were foreclosed on. The problems you'll probably run into is that the property is poorly maintained with broken equipment to match, which is more expensive than it's worth. In an extreme case a pissed off former owner harassing you would be an issue.

Regardless, get to know the neighbors in the area if you do it. The'll help get things set up if you help them out.
>>
>>132237507

give it back bishop
>>
>>132237507
60k isn't going to get you jack shit
>>
>>132240021
swampland
>>
>>132240021
Demonstrably false. You can get 10-20 acres for that much, even more. Of course, the more you get, the less farmable it will be; I'm not trying to say you can "live off the land" with land you bought for $60k. But you can buy a pretty decent chunk of land that's suitable for hunting and hobby farming/gardening.

Personally I would rather buy 10 acres of OK-ish land, use some of it for a hunting plot and start a pretty decent vegetable garden a la 132239742 (which can cut down your food budget amazingly) and hang onto some of that money instead of spending it all than plunk it all down on 20+ acres of shittier land, though.
>>
>>132237507
Go for it. But have a plan first.
>>
File: Planet_X.jpg (422KB, 1010x1291px) Image search: [Google]
Planet_X.jpg
422KB, 1010x1291px
>>132237507
Yes, I would definitely go for it. Get out of the cities! We're in the End Times now. How can this be? NASA has decided to keep this secret for the past 40 years. Get as rural as possible.
>>
>>132237507
Easily. Just have to make sure that the soil is good for growing and not contaminated.

If there isnt a house, thats extra (make sure the land has access to roads and electricity). Also check the sewage laws etc.

You can grow off an acre or less. The problem isnt growing, the problem is selling it.

If you only want to grow for your own food, things get tricky, because youll need animals too like chickens and goats.
>>
>>132241356
You can buy fertilised chicken eggs on ebay, you just need to build a cheap incubator to hatch them.
>>
File: 1478987485272.jpg (78KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1478987485272.jpg
78KB, 499x499px
>>132238038
>medicinal plants
>>
>>132241996
why not just buy chickens?
>>
>>132242542
Get to learn the process of doing it yourself, then you can get a cock in the future and rear your own chickens without being reliant on anyone else, part of being self sufficent.
>>
>>132242294
HAHAHAHAHA

There are OTHER medicinal plants you know ;-).

I do grow my own tobacco (mapacho) and trade it for ayahuasca :) Use it about every 3-6 months. Not a joy ride but well worth it.
>>
>>132237507
yes.
just don't go full retard and try to enter agricultural market, just buy fucking solar panels, be sure you have a water source and get the fuck off the grid.
you ain't no going to survive out of shekels, you just have to grow and build and knit and shit all the stuff you need.
ideally, you have to exit any form of economy more complex than exchanging goods
t. studied the topic, read books about cultivating horticulture and shiet
t. soon to get off the grid
pro tip: be sure your lady can take this kind of life
>>
>>132237507
My grandpa left me $500,000 in his deceased trust, but he wanted it to be used to buy an apartment.

The best apartment you can get for $500,000 in Sydney is a 1 bedroom shitbox surrounded by low lives.

For the same $500,000 I could live the high life in a different country or state.

It's a precarious situation. The money is left to the trustee to dispose of it with discretion, so I probably have no say in what property is purchased, and he'll probably just purchase a shitbox in Sydney.

Ah well, might just collect the rent payments and move. Sydney sucks.
>>
>>132237507
Wait for the next crash, buy some really ghetto property in CA with half the money, then use the other half to make mortgage payments as you rent the houses out to dindus. Ghetto property crashes the hardest so your property will probable double in value within 10 years. Not to mention all the rent money. Who knows, maybe the area will gentrify and your property will quadruple in value. Thank me later.
>>
>>132243581
Renting can be a bit of a pain in the ass. You might want to look in to having a property management first take care of everything for you, particularly if you plan on living any real distance away.
>>
>>132237507
Enjoy starving in a few months.
>>
>>132237507
Since you don't seem to know anything about farming, invest the money and make sure you can access it when the time has come.

Find a place with people who do what you want to do. Join and learn.
When you feel ready, get your money and do what you need to do.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.