[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is nuclear power the way of the future?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6

File: springfield-npp.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
springfield-npp.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
It seems to me both the manliest/most efficient energy source, and it'll be even better once we start using thorium.
>>
no it's the way of the past
>>
>>132176660
Nuclear power can't even run my smoke alarm. The Battery Jew still wants my shekels and holocausts my ears with endless Jewish beeps of complaint.

I think it's a sham.
>>
File: 1498660121992.png (268KB, 480x618px) Image search: [Google]
1498660121992.png
268KB, 480x618px
>judging a power source based on manliness
typical stupid christian
>>
>>132176660
fusion > fission
>>
>>132176956
commie scum

fission is freedom
>>
>>132176956
Fusion doesn't work as an effective power source.

The first LFTR was 1 GWe test system. Fusion is still energy negative with no reasonable timeline to become economical.
>>
>>132176660
Yes, but jews (muh solar panels) and commies ruined.
>>
>>132176956
>fusion
>working
>>
>>132176660
Coal is more manly since it pollutes more
>>
>>132176660
Fusion power and hydrogen fuel cells are the energy of the future.
>>
>>132176869
fine ill take the bait, the radioactive stuff in your smoke detectors aren't for power generation
>>
Nuclear is far and away the best power source
>>
>>132176956
coballssack you couldn't even run chernobyl you ain't going to do shit with fusion
>>
>>132177514
I don't see why not. It seems like a waste of radiation.

>americonium
What fucking jew came up with this sick joke?
>>
>>132176660
Yes.
>>132176831
t. dead ender
>>
>>132176660
Nuclear waste half life makes it a stupid fucking energy source to use on planet. Off planet colonies sure, but not in our ecosystem. We already have fusion power, its called THE SUN. Just invest in developing cheaper more efficient solar and energy storage.
>>
They should build nuclear power plants on the moon and ship it back to the US.
>>
>>132176660
even using current LWR tech we would never run out of fissile material nor would we run out of places to safely store it for 10,000+ years (including growing energy demand) at least
>>
>>132177667
There have been considerations about beaming it back down with microwaves, but it turns out that's pretty ridiculously dangerous.
>>
>>132176660
No. It simply costs too much to build 18 terawatts with it.

Nothing can replace fossil fuels.
>>
>>132177652
Bury it in a mine deep under the desert. Problem solved, no?
>>
>>132177796
Don't listen to the fossil jew. Nuclear is cheaper and doesn't cause 10k deaths per year in the US like coal.
>>
Way too many brainlets on here attempting to talk about nuclear energy. It is the most efficient form of energy.
>>
>>132177573
basically the radiations mark the jewish smoke particles by ionizing them with a yellow star so that the gestapo can alert the goys that they are being subverted
>>
>>132177522
Fusion produces less radioactive particles brainlets
>>
>>132177943
US coal is a nothingburger until CHYNA quits it.

>>132177994
No it just beeps and screeches at me. It's the most Jewish thing ever. One time a city code enforcer came over and he said I had to install more of them or else the Jew lawyers who work for the city (communists) would put a lien on the property and demolish the house (like in palestine)
>>
>>132178141
I laughed realizing that whiny jewish voice actually bares a striking resemblance
>>
>>132177652

The sun is 9 light minutes away and there's miles of gas between it and us. The sun also is behind the earth half the day. Nuclear ractors are right here, can run 24/7, and be modulated to demand
>>
>>132178866
>>132177652

Also the technology you describe doesn't exist
>>
>>132178610
Jew York City is truly something you have to experience to understand properly. Best I can do is almost a Brooklyn accent; the big ugly sort-of-Queens accent is as brilliant as the iconic hair.
>>
Just got my bachelors in Nuclear engineering, set to start for my PhD in the Fall. Nuclear energy is by far the best, most efficient power source we have at the moment.
>>
>>132179154
What do you think the future of commercial fission is? Thorium? Liquid salt? Kindly provide a basic gestalt.
>>
>>132179154
Did you get funding yet to publish some papers proving that it's by far, the most efficient power source we have at the moment?

Because that's how it works in my field.
>>
>>132179897
thorium still feels like a holy grail/conspiracy theory but I'd wager that it is being actively suppressed.
>>
>>132176660
>Is nuclear power the way of the future?
Yes. It is.
>>
>>132177652
new generation reactors can reuse the waste produced by older generation reactors
cuck
>>
>>132176660
Yes, nuclear and HELE thermal coal power stations should be the main baseload power contributors of the future. That combined with a network of renewables with battery storage.
>>
>>132181788
Depending on where in the world you are, natural gas also makes a ton of sense as a pretty clean energy source that you can ramp up and down pretty easily to soak up shifts in demand.

I live in natural gas country and cheap natural gas is fucking tits for household needs.
>>
>>132177652
You can reprocess ~99% of the nuclear to be reused

t. Nuclear engineer
>>
>>132176660
(((Nuclear power)))
Coal is the only safe energy source. Nobody ever got cancer from coal.
>>
>>132177652
That's fission, right? Isn't fusion a form of energy that produces no waste?
>>
File: 1497024486662.jpg (67KB, 600x684px) Image search: [Google]
1497024486662.jpg
67KB, 600x684px
>>132176660
>take all green subsidies and give them to nuclear energy
I just saved all of our energy troubles and more greenpeace goons get the shit beaten out of them as well.
>>
probably.
>>
>>132176660

Because Big Oil funds Solar and Wind propaganda because they know Nuclear is the only energy that can compete.

Anit-nuclear scare ads are sold by coal power companies.
>>
>>132183102
Since when is a leaf allowed to be based?
>>
>>132183228
>>132183280
HOW DO WE KNOW YOU'RE NOT BEING PAID BY BIG NUKE
>>
>>132182978
Fusion requires more power than it creates. What that cuck doesn't understand is that nuclear waste is miniscule and can be either:

Put back in the ground

Recycled

Or (my favorite) be used to build tanks and bullets.
>>
Today's electricity needs are simply too demanding, especially in today's world in megacities. A thermoplant is always the foundation of the network, and a nuclear one performs such a job perfectly. It is among the cleanest forms of energy. Now, what arguments do people use against them? Let's look at Chernboyl. It had a problem where like.. with the rise of temperature, the chance of fission occuring multiplied, which led to a chain reaction. However, the reactors that the west uses can be set to a certain limit where that process actually reverses, basically with higher temperature, the chance of a fission decreases, so that there simply can't be another disaster happening. As for radioactive waste, that problem has already been solved . The most simplest solution is to place them in old abandoned mines deep underground. And don't worry, they make sure the radiation doesn't affect the underground waters (also the chimneys you see in the nuclear power plants, that's not smoke coming out of them, that's steam from the water used in the cooling process). Now.. what are the green alternatives, so to say? Solar panels? Their efficiency is shit, they dont even last that long, and ofcourse they don't function during night. They can't be a foundation of a distribution network, it's impossible. Solar panels are merely a business for electrotechnicians, where you sell things to people that they realistically don't need. Same goes for Wind energy.. the investement is large, and the result is innefficient. I say invest in nuclear as much as possible, and not waste money on solar and wind energy just to look "progressive" infront of others.
>>
>>132183334
Because there is no 'big nuke', faggot.
>>
>>132176660
>It seems to me both the manliest/most efficient energy source, and it'll be even better once we start using thorium.

thorium is bullshit

what about these lifter reactors the Chinese use?
>>
>>132183379
>nuclear waste is miniscule
Chernobyl and Fukushima beg to differ.
>>
>>132176660
It is currently the superior option for both environmentally safe and high power output solutions. It does dramatically less damage than hydroelectric dams, can be built in more places than them, has more readily available fuel, all nuclear fuels are orders of magnitude more energy dense and efficient than fossil fuels, and it produces less pollution. The danger of nuclear waste is dramatically overstated because people are seemingly too retarded to understand the concept of digging a really deep hole or building a reactor that can eat the waste material as even more fuel.

Fusion will be a yet-more superior power source, however it hasn't been optimized to actually produce positive quantities of power yet. I'd give it 10-20 years before we see commercial fusion powerplants really breaking into the industry.
>>
>>132183403
>and not waste money on solar and wind energy just to look "progressive" infront of others.

Sorry, 'looking' progressive is all liberals care about.
>>
>>132182406
Yep, HELE coal and/or natural gas. Whatever is cheaper.
>>
>>132183379
>Put back in the ground

we launch it into space instead
>>
>>132183440
GE isn't big nuke?
The US military isn't big nuke?
Iran and Obama aren't big nuke?

I grew up down the road from what was going to be the most advance nuclear fission plant in the US before it got shut down at the last moment by alarmists. Do you think I'd rather that came on line after all the investment or do you think I'd rather they'd have shut down the old busted stupid design plants like Fukushima before they turned in to basket cases?
>>
>>132183280
Leafs have actually made some of the best nuclear powerplants on the planet. Their Bruce powerplant using the Candu reactor system is the most powerful nuclear powerplant in the world and outstrips the largest oil and coal powered plants.
>>
>>132183459
neither of those involved Nuclear waste
>kek flag
nevermind youre retarded anyays
>>
>>132183459
You are a fucking moron. You are exposed to more radiation during an airplane ride than you are walking around the exclusion zone.

However, I'll throw your underdeveloped mind a bone about Fukushima. Next time, don't build a nuclear power plant on an earthquake fault line.
>>
>>132182696
Pic is absolute bullshit. This is clear because 80 million americans haven't died from radiation poisoning.
>>
>>132183651
>You are exposed to more radiation during an airplane ride than you are walking around the exclusion zone.
Oh boy here we go with the talking points.

And grafting orange trees is the same thing as GMO.
>>
>>132183586
Number 1, if any 'company' could be called 'big nuke', it would be Westinghouse. They have monopolized the market with High Pressure Water Reactors, which are wholly inferior to low pressure reactors.

Number 2, hostile states are going to pursue nuclear weapons whether you want them to or not. And faggots like Obama only make it easier with his billion dollar check to Iran.

The best thing for America to do is continue develop BOTH nuclear power and weapons.
>>
>>132183762
Hey now, don't you bring reality into this circlejerk
>>
>>132183790
Solyndra. Bankrupt.
Fisker. Bankrupt.
Sunpower. Debt.
Tesla. Debt.

GTFO Obama.
>>
>>132183511
Best to just take advantage of those fools and sell them the solar panels so they'll look progressive infront of their neighbours, it's a nice business anyway.
>>
>>132184109

I'd agree with you, but Solyndra and Sunpower both got a billion in bailout money and still went bankrupt.
>>
>>132184059
Yep. And bankruptcy is sometimes basically a bailout.

What I'm saying is nuclear has a job ahead of it restoring public faith just like big oil or big windmill or whatever else. So they can either be straight with us about the things that go wrong so we can make an honest assessment, or they can dig their graves further.
>>
>>132183790
Its a good talking point considering I've never once heard an antinuke faggot hippie counter it with anything but retarded burbling, or for that matter the fact that nuclear power makes up 20% of America's total power supply but only produce a minute number of fatalities per tw/h compared to any of the fossil fuels.
>>
>>132176660
No, coal is.
>>
>>132184318
>So they can either be straight with us about the things that go wrong so we can make an honest assessment

They already are. You're just a pussy. I live in between the 30 mile zone of TWO nuke plants.

My city is designing a third one.
>>
>>132184395
Nuke power through its life has caused fewer deaths than Solar did last year.
>>
>>132184636
This.

Also, comparing the number of deaths in power plants, Nuclear power plants have the least accidents in them, while Hydroplants have the most.
>>
>>132176956
The difference being that fission actually works.
>>
>>132184578
And I know three black people and my friend is even married to one.

I'm as pro-nuke as the next guy but that doesn't do a damn thing for public confidence. When was the last time the US built a new modern nuke plant? How long ago was Fukushima supposed to be taken down? Nobody cares if it's big oil or big boogeyman. People care if it's big retard or big canard.
>>
>>132184636
.04 deaths per twh to be precise, if nuke made up 100% of all power generation it would be .68/twh.

By raw numbers Nuclear is by a long shot the safest source of power generation ever invented.
http://www.nuceng.ca/refer/risk/risk.htm
>>
>>132182696
if you aeresolized the entire fuel supply for all of the fukushima reactors and spread it over the top layer of that much water you could drink it and be fine. Reminder that (((oil))) is trying to suppress nuclear technologies because it will put them out of business.
>>
>>132185078
Oh right I forgot it's big oil is the only reason why nuclear is safe to drink.

Next you'll explain who the oil families are. Oh no you won't because you're a useless idiot.
>>
>>132177994
>>
>>132185158
>Next you'll explain who the oil families are.
T Boone Pickens
Standard Oil
Exxon Mobil
Duke Energy
Petronas

OPEC (you know, who fund islamic terrorism with oil money. and the Lithium money for batteries in teslas)

Fuck off shill.
>>
>>132185158
nobody willingly gives up wealth and power
>>
>>132184480
Sure, if sustainability means nothing to you. Coal is on its way out for a reason.
>>
>>132182696
Flue gas from coal power stations kills thousands of people a year and pumps large quantities of radioactive material into the air all the time.
>>
>>132185375
Standard Oil and Exxon are both the same family, but you didn't name them. Those are largely post-antitrust corporations that are slowly remerging.
>>
>>132182696
>Nobody ever got cancer from coal.

Lung cancer. Look it up faggot.
>>
>>132185644
Do you saliva lubricate King Abdullah's greasy, matted pubic hair-covered cock before he fucks you up the ass?

The saddest part is that you're shilling for oil for free.
>>
>>132185604
In point of fact, don't fossil fuel plants release more trace radiation than nuke plants?
>>
>>132185892
The Jews cut out my salivary glands so I have to coat my mouth in petroleum jelly first. Same goes for my boipussy.
>>
>>132184828
And that's not even taking into account how many more KwH a nuclear plant shits out.
>>
>>132186259
Based gook
>>
>>132186259
Yes, and which, in turn, makes a kWh from a nuclear plant the cheapest kWh compared to other sources. 4:50am in this shithole, i'm out, peace.
>>
>>132186259
To be fair, hydroplants pump out incredible amounts of power, however they do have those higher death rates, higher startup costs, fewer available startup locations, and more severe environmental impact.

Nukes might not pump out the same raw power as hydroplants, but there's only so many rivers you can fuck to pieces before you run out.
>>
Bum9
>>
>>132176660
Nuclear IS the best energy source.

I don't understand why we don't just build a shit ton of Nuclear power plants in the middle of no where if people are seriously that scared of an accident happening.

It's better than all of these pleb tier energy sources like solar, wind, and tidal.

Nuclear > all
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.