[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STEM foreigners getting job preferences

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: JPeters-182-NEWS-WEB.jpg (53KB, 450x536px) Image search: [Google]
JPeters-182-NEWS-WEB.jpg
53KB, 450x536px
Science is a global market, one where free trade in the form of hypotheses, results, conclusions, and their applications lifts our collective whole. American science and the technological engine it drives have long benefitted from this global market. But I worry that the recent rhetoric and actions due to foreign mistrust will have unintended consequences in this arena. American science is an industry of immigrants. Look no further than any typical research lab in our nation and you will see faces from every corner of the globe, working together to ferret out nature’s secrets and to solve society’s most vexing challenges. That six Nobel Laureates of 2016 were foreign born and are doing their research within the United States offers a timely reminder of this.
>>
Since early in the 20th century people everywhere began to look to the United States as a place where freedom and the free exchange of ideas had no bounds, and nowhere did this migration have more impact than in the sciences. This remains true to this very day, where research labs in universities and national labs across our nation enjoy the intellectual contributions and hard work of aspiring scientists from places including India, China, Japan, South Korea, Russia, Iran, Poland, Romania, Germany, France, England, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, South Africa, Kenya, and so many others. These aspiring scientists, often graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who devotedly labor away into the wee hours of the night, aren’t taking away anybody’s jobs or posing any threats. Instead, they are filling a noble gap in our ranks that we alone cannot fill; we simply don’t have enough young Americans enrolling in our graduate programs in science. These young folks from abroad set out to the US to study and train, often at great distances and far from their families, because we have embraced them, because we share the common tongue of science and logic, and because we choose to work alongside one another for the collective good. Science is openness. And science only works when we invite other scientists—including those of different races, classes, creeds, and genders with diverse perspectives—to look critically at our research, to help ensure that it withstands objective scrutiny. Science stalls when it is limited to a small number of like-minded voices. But it thrives in a global exchange market where everybody can and does win.
>>
>>132028913
>These aspiring scientists, often graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who devotedly labor away into the wee hours of the night, aren’t taking away anybody’s jobs
>>
>>132028983

let me stop this right here.

there are far more people graduating from STEM fields than there are jobs to be offered.

these people have research groups of 20+ people during a time when jobs are becoming more scarce, and they are afraid funding cuts will stop their gravy chain of essentially slave labor. they don't care that the labor market is being flooded at an all time high. they just need more cheap labor so they can get greater accolades in what they do. and then they have the nerve to act like moral superiors and that their motivations are humanitarian
>>
>>132028871
>research labs
>grad students
So basically you're talking about the education sector.
>>
im about to graduate with a phd, having done organic synthesis. traditionally people who did this got a job in the pharmaceutical industry since they need people to pump out tons of new organic molecules to screen for drug discovery.

these jobs are drying up and the majority of people majoring in this field are foreign.

i was looking back at the last few people i know to have been on the job market. one was chinese with not a single publication. the other was american with multiple first author papers in a 2nd tier journal, and several second authors in 1st tier journal. the foreign chinese guy got a good job, the american got nothing.
>>
>>132029357
i dont think you understand how grad school works in the sciences.

it is usually less than a year of courses, followed by 3 - 5 years of nonstop lab work to publish research papers. depending on the field, many people spend the last 3 - 5 years of their phd in lab 60-80+ hrs per week doing research so they can publish papers, which is how they end up getting a job.
>>
>>132029550

anyways long story short is from first-hand experience ive seen several instances just like this- an objectively equal or better american candidate not being able to get a job, and the foreigner gets the job. this is not how it was supposed to work, according to how the h1b visa shit is written. enter donald trump and jeff sessions.
>>
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/combating-fraud-and-abuse-h-1b-visa-program

jeff sessions has promised to combat this visa abuse but so far i havent seen anything done about it.
>>
File: 1498521445633.jpg (303KB, 1600x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1498521445633.jpg
303KB, 1600x1002px
is there really no interest in this at all?

i know a lot of you are STEM fags and didn't like seeing companies shaft americans so they can get underpaid foreign replacements, this is our golden opportunity to actually meme something into happening with sessions and trump
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.