[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vikings are a meme

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 44

File: 10_Facts_Viking_Warfare_9.jpg (94KB, 770x527px) Image search: [Google]
10_Facts_Viking_Warfare_9.jpg
94KB, 770x527px
Why are vikings revered as fearsome and ruthless warriors?

>no Major battles involving over 100k men
>No marvelous architecture or structures
>basic farming and agriculture
>Killed and raped unarmed peasants or women/children
>Robbed and stole and left like niggers
>Never created anything noteworthy

If they were so fierce why did they always flee when a retinue was dispatched ?

Why were there very few sieges and high-stakes battles?

Honestly, the vikings are a meme
They run to their ships anytime a real force showed up. >Charlemagne

>meanwhile romans fought pitched battles involving hundreds of thousands of men, elephants and seiged the mightiest walls with feats of engineering mastery.

The vikings are a meme.
>>
File: Varangian Guard.jpg (74KB, 770x660px) Image search: [Google]
Varangian Guard.jpg
74KB, 770x660px
>>131864165

>Varangian Guard
>Best seafarers of their time
>Harald Hardrada
>The Great Heathen Army
>Dane Law

Vikings were cool m8
>>
>>131864165
>battles
faggotry
>artsy builds
faggotry
if it's so basic, tell me what your home set-up looks like. self sufficiency is something most kids today wouldn't know where to even start at.
>murder and crime
yawn. some things don't change.
>nothing noteworthy
It's like you've never seen a swedish breast.
>>
File: vikingplyndring.jpg (53KB, 525x300px) Image search: [Google]
vikingplyndring.jpg
53KB, 525x300px
>>131864165

Whats more, they were too retarded to keep historical documents so any of the few battles we knew existed, are vastly gross overestimates of what were small skirmishes bewteen 2 warring chieftains.

I challenge you, find me a viking battle with over 100k men. Find me A "guagulmela", A Alesia, A "Zama", find me a famous noteworthy battle

>protip: you wont
>>
>>131864165
>muh nordics
>muh superior whiteys

Vikings were as degenerate as the rest of the world in 800-1000. The western Romans were long dead by then (though the Eastern Romans turned Byzantine Empire was still around).
>>
>>131864165
>he doesnt know about the varangian guard

You see, vikings didnt need armies of 100k to be fearsome, unlike other "men"
>>
>>131864311

>my subjective opinion is more relevant than historical facts.

heres your (you)
>>
>>131864488
Because there was no discpline in their ranks.
They couldnt even field an army of 50k

Their logitstics and supply should have been above par be that they are sea-farring people.

But nope. Which leads me to my next reason why they could hardly ever win a seige. They lacked supply if they strayed too far from their boats
>>
>>131864437

Didnt know abos knew how to use a computer.
>>
Vikings turned into Normans though.
Praise Christ.
>>
>>131864488

Heres an example of a REAL battle.

Please, I wait your retort. Where are your so famous battles that we always here about, preaching viking courage and strength?

Mhhmm??

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gaugamela
>>
>>131864517

Dude, those are historical facts

>Varangian Guard
Elite group of Byzantine mercenaries, all Vikings looking for money
Feared and murderous, they were involved in famous conquests and battles
>Best Seafarers of their Time
They were, no doubt
The longship design was the best for that period, fast and nimble it could ride rivers and the high seas
They were masters at figuring out exactly where they were even with dark overcasts
>Harald Hardrada
Just search him up man
>Great Heathen Army
A viking army that SHATTERED the Anglo-Saxons of Britain
Except Wessex cause they were cool
>Danelaw
What is Viking control over a third of Britain?
>>
>>131864716
They can't. I have a smartphone dum dum
>>
>>131864165
>>131864441
>>131864815

>running from armies, raping, pillaging
Because they were raiders and bandits. They didn't come to conquer, they came to take from the weak and sate the human need to kill. They had a better understanding of human nature.

>The only good battle is a big one

I bet you make the "You mad whiteboi" threads, too.
>>
>>131864815
This really means alot to you doesn't it?
You're right, the vikings wasn't THE deathmachine supersquad, do you feel gratified now?
>>
>>131864815

>Battle of Fulford
Not a BIG battle, because armies of that time in Europe were small. But a battle nonetheless
>Battle of Beroia
Varangians beat the Pechenegs so hard they were never a major player in Europe again.
>All of the Heathen Armies' invasion of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms
>>
>>131864846
>conquest
I dont think you understand what that word means.

The varangian guard were mercenaries, sell swords and thus do not count, they are not a standing army but swords for hire.

>The battle of stamford bridge is the only battle you can name and they got fucking rekt and died in the battle.
>>
File: dhm0513.jpg (109KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
dhm0513.jpg
109KB, 800x528px
>>131864846
>conquest
I dont think you understand what that word means.

The varangian guard were mercenaries, sell swords and thus do not count, they are not a standing army but swords for hire.

>The battle of stamford bridge is the only battle you can name and they got fucking rekt and died in the battle.

>>131864988
>they came to take from the weak
Does that make them strong?

>the only good battle is a big one
Nice strawman, Large battles usually meant the stakes were high, and it was life or death not only for the soldiers but the country they were fighting for. learn2history faggot
>>
>>131864441
Why the fixation in Battles over 100 000 men?

Are Spartan hoplites Shit tier soldiers because There were never a 100 000 of Them at a battle?
>>
>>131864165

Entire Scandinavian population at the time was at most 500k, also most of the numbers of men in ancient armies are exaggerated

>No marvelous architecture or structures

Small population for great buildings also the longships make up for that

Eveyone was a farmer then

Almost every power that could did that at the time

Anyone who could did that at the time

>Never created anything noteworthy

Again the longships and their travels and adventures were unseen for their time
>>
>>131865043
Im just saying they are overrated because of popculture.

>>131865099
>armies of that time in europe were small

Yet Darius was able to field an army of over Hundred thousand men in the desert...nearly 1 millennium before the vikings prominence.
>>
>>131865109

Funny story about Stamford Bridge,

"The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle has it that a giant Norse axeman (possibly armed with a Dane Axe) blocked the narrow crossing and single-handedly held up the entire English army. The story is that this axeman cut down up to 40 Englishmen and was defeated only when an English soldier floated under the bridge in a half-barrel and thrust his spear through the planks in the bridge, mortally wounding the axeman." Wikipedia, sourcing page 198 of the Anglo Saxon Chronicles
>>
>>131865247
>Thermopylae
Easily over 100k combatants

>>131865256
500k where are you getting that number? their population all together would be well over 1 million from 700+ A.D

Yeah maby 1000 fucking years ago
I think your confusing BCE with AD lmao

>muh longships
You do realize they had no offensive capabilities and were laughable when you look at eastern ships built around or even earlier than that time.
>>
File: 280285702.jpg (113KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
280285702.jpg
113KB, 600x433px
>>131865423
>be level 20 barbarian
>completely BTFO of Saxon shits
>prepared to die in glorious battle so my bros can escape
>some clever Anglo cunt hops in a barrel and floats under the bridge
>stabs me in the ballsack
>>
>>131865366
Why do you care if they're overrated in pop-culture? Are you autistic, anon?
Niggermusic is also overrated, start a thread talking shit about rap when this one dies.
The thing is, Vikings had a badass warrior culture, and were aesthetic as fuck, ofcourse people look back at them and not some scrawny Roman legionere trapped in a bearucratic hell.
>but muh battles
>>
>>131864311
>Varangian Guard
So, did they even fight in a real battle?
>Best seafarers of their time
Arguable, I wonder if they could have sailed from the middle east to China to trade, and I know for sure they couldn't beat the byzantines who had greek fire and most likely a much larger navy.
>Harald Hardrada
Best known for being defeated by the English.
>Dane Law
What about it?
>>
>>131865608
>500k where are you getting that number? their population all together would be well over 1 million from 700+ A.D
Sorry, only population of Denmark had around 500k, all Scandinavia must have been more than a million, still very small considering their exploits
>>
File: longship.jpg (6KB, 296x170px) Image search: [Google]
longship.jpg
6KB, 296x170px
>>131865608

>no offensive capabilities

Who cares about offensive capabilities?

They were special for their sleek, fast design that was incredibly durable.
No other ship of that time in Europe could go as fast.
No other ship could so easily from river to sea
And no other ship had crews as experienced and talented
>>
File: BattleOfVercellae.png (383KB, 390x956px) Image search: [Google]
BattleOfVercellae.png
383KB, 390x956px
>>131865649
>scrawny roman legionaries
Thats a funny joke. You Nord cucks have no discipline. the vikings would shit themselves if they had to actually fight a legitimate battle on even ground.
>>
>>131865669

>Yes
>Yeah you're right, but their ships and navigational skills were A1 shit
>But he did a lot before that, and it was rad
>I meant Danelaw sorry
>>
>>131865802

>no discipline

Yeah mate you're right about that
As much as I am a viking fan I'd still suck Rome's dick any day
>>
>>131864846
>Harald Hardrada

This dude gives me feels of masculine inadequacy.
>>
>>131865669
Varangian Guards were very loyal outsiders (backstabbing in the bizantine empire was pretty common). And they were magnificent individuals of about 1.80, like fierce niggers. You have the idea.

The Nordics must be protected until their numbers stabilize, but they are certainly not known for their special abilities outside of their physical attributes (like beauty). Nor do they have supernatural powers.
>>
>>131865868
>>131865937

Not trying to shit on them, Im just saying they are to a certain degree over-rated.
>>
>>131865611
Will the eternal Anglo ever be stopped?
>>
>>131865802
East Rome(the Byzantine Empire) would not have hired them as bodyguards of Emperors if they did that
>>
>>131866062

Well everything is overrated in someway
>>
>>131865794

Ancient Trireme max speed: 7.37 knots

Longboat: 10 knots give or take

Considering the size and displacement difference of the two, and the time frame (first known triremes built around 250 BCE)

I'd say the longboats were inferior design.
They Were fast, yes, and sleak perfect for raiding but...thats about it...and thats why the design was tossed away in favor of larger, and more powerful ships only 200 some years later with the brig and Cog.
>>
>>131864165
>They run to their ships anytime a real force showed up. >Charlemagne
then why did they recruit and give land to them
aka normans normandy.
>>
Just one reason really. Rape. No one even knows what "pillage" was.
>>
>>131866234

Longboats were perfect for their time, and were amazing crafts with amazing crews

That's why they could sail to Iceland, Greenland, and Vinland (Most likely)

That's all I'm saying
>>
>>131864165
I wish niggers would leave desu
>>
>>131865611
critical hit
>>
>>131866356

If anything that was due to Norse seamen ship which was far superior to anything the world had seen, the same way the mongols were the most skilled horsemen, the norse were the most skilled in Seamanship

>>131866270
To replenish their forces.,...same reason any army recruited from the local population if disease or famine struck the ranks.
Even the Wehrmacht and SS did.
>>
this isn't the first anti viking thread I'm seeing here
seems like a way for (((them))) to keep pushing the anti Russian narrative
>>
>>131864165
>>>131865247
>>Thermopylae
>Easily over 100k combatants

If you believe herodots numbers, which many historians do not.

Even then, no 100 000 spartan hoplites There, so does this make them shit Warriors?
>>
File: Mont Saint-Michel.jpg (1MB, 3840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Mont Saint-Michel.jpg
1MB, 3840x2400px
>>131864165
>no architecture
Yeah the Normans really built nothing impressive. What were they thinking when they constructed this?
>>
>>131865423
>>131865611
>what are myths
>>
File: harald.jpg (10KB, 164x220px) Image search: [Google]
harald.jpg
10KB, 164x220px
>/pol/ thread
>All about arguing

Seems good so far

>Arguing about whether vikings are overrated or not

What the fuck even
This is the most invested I've ever been in a /pol/ thread
>>
>>131864165
Propaganda. Not even kidding.
>>
File: 1333478852240.jpg (68KB, 558x344px) Image search: [Google]
1333478852240.jpg
68KB, 558x344px
>Actually calling the norse for "vikings"
Historial illiterate detected
The vikings fought like the Anglo-Saxons and every other northern European fighting force. The reason they never had battles above 100k men is because Scandinavia was barely populated.

The level of influence they achieved for such a small people was pretty amazing desu. But yes if you compare them to the modern portrayal they dont live up to the hype. But if you understand the context, the "vikings" where pretty awesome.
>>
I agree vikings are overrated. Scandinavia have had much better times.
>>
Dorians>Vikings
>>
>>131866062
I think a lot of the fascination for them, aside from their aesthetic, is that we as Western men long to be strong, proud and feared again. Everything is so picked apart, ironic and post-modern that we long for something exotic and fierce but still "us". The European "noble savage" as it were.

I do agree that people do a lot of Varg tier larping and it's not always a good thing. I would much prefer fellow fashy huwites embrace traditional concepts like Mos Memoriam for honor instead of Jack Donovan's ideas on "strength" and simplistic values. In most cases it would have been better that many anons had never abandoned their Christian roots on their self improvement journey, but instead taken inspiration and tried to de-cuck their churches and communities from within. People need to actively work on things that bring value to western nationalism, and meet objective material and political ends. So apart from their inspiring ferocity and masculine qualities, I don't think the Vikings have much to offer, especially for non-Nordics (because it's Nordic culture, and theirs to do with as they please).
>>
File: Chronicle.jpg (3KB, 105x160px) Image search: [Google]
Chronicle.jpg
3KB, 105x160px
>>131866644

That information comes from a primary source
>I can quote it for you if you want

"Then was there one of the Norwegians who withstood the English folk--That they may not pass over the bridge nor obtain the victory. Then an Englishman shot with an arrow, but it availed naught; and then came another under the bridge and pierced him through in under the bryny." -Anglo-Saxon Chronicles
>>
>>131864165

The goths = ancestors of vikings were the ones who conquered Rome.
>>
You are trying to compare a group of warring tribes to vast urbanized empires. The Norse should be compared to the Dorians or the Parni, uncivilized barbarians who laid the basis of later development. Saging this retarded thread
>>
File: fdg.jpg (701KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fdg.jpg
701KB, 3840x1080px
simple google search of norse words in the english language
sheds light on how influential they were.
op hiding behind larping flag, probably a self hating swede or shitskin.
>>
I'm convinced the speed of technological progress of a civilisation is inversely proportional to the attractiveness of their woman.
>>
File: Charles-and-Mazeppa-500x397.jpg (48KB, 500x397px) Image search: [Google]
Charles-and-Mazeppa-500x397.jpg
48KB, 500x397px
>>131866809
t. swede
>>
>>131865802
>muh romans
>got destroyed by undisciplined pagans

Oh wow gee golickers, looks like discipline has fuck all to say 1on1 when ones a little Roman homosex and the other is a towering brute
>>
>>131866941
That must be why the mighty nyugga and aboriginal qwangz conquered da hole werl
>>
Harold wartooth, Battle of Brávellir, Gunnhild, Mother of Kings.
>>
>>131866955

"In any case, the 4th-century army was probably much more dependent on barbarian recruitment than its 1st/2nd-century predecessor."
-Wikipedia with sources Lee (1997) 222–3, Zosimus books IV, V, Elton (1996) 144–5

>Maybe it was the barbarians in the armies that led to less discipline? Hmmm
>>
>>131865802
You are forgetting the previous three battles where Roman armies of 20k, 50k, and 80k were completely wiped out by the same tribal group comprised mostly of women and children.
>>
>>131864165
It OK they only killed christcucks.
>>
>>131866955
>towering brute
lmao Strenght does not win battles.
Discpline, and Honor wins battles.

If a roman retreated, every 10th man was bludgeoned to death by his comrades.

Keep thinking they were towering brutes, when in reality they were theives, rapist, and murderers, honestly they were the first pirates.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hastings
>>
>>131867269

>Battle of Hastings

Normans may be Norse descended, but they aren't "Vikings"
>>
>>131865366
Desert? You clearly don't know what your even talking about.

Saged
>>
>>131867244
>Replying to people who speak ill of mother Rome
>>
>>131864815
>some guy makes a big army and takes advantage of a collapsing Persian empire to just make the Greeco-Persian empire and then fail to conquer India and then pretend like your work is done and nothing of your empire survives your death
>>
>>131867244
>honor wins battles
>>
File: phalanx_vs_legion_title.jpg (152KB, 800x461px) Image search: [Google]
phalanx_vs_legion_title.jpg
152KB, 800x461px
>>131867143
>women and children
Oh I forgot women and children fought battle hardened legions that been fighting in hispania for years and lost. My bad

>>131866837
Yes I agree, But the problem is strenght leads to pride, and pride leads to violence. Christianity destroys your ego and rebuilds it, you fear god, you will always be below him, and That keeps your ego and decisions regulated and makes you second guess every action you make, Paganism is too primative.

>he looked at my wife
>I must crack his skull or im weak.

Also forgiveness is antithetical to paganism imo

>>131866660
>t.rational Belgian
/thread
>>
File: spqr.jpg (8KB, 200x158px) Image search: [Google]
spqr.jpg
8KB, 200x158px
Even if we argue about whether vikings were overrated or not

We can all agree on one thing

>Rome was fucking 10/10
>>
>>131866167
God this fucking "muh personal guard" got old real quick, yes they hired them because they were skilled individual fighters, but you forget to mention they had to abandon their old habits and culture and be properly disciplined.
>>
>>131867548
For a long time, yes.
>>
File: retard.png (111KB, 453x415px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
111KB, 453x415px
>>131867421
Ikr

>>131867392
oh look a fucking retarded leaf
>pic related

>>131867528
Cowardice tends to loose battles, would my logic not be sound and for it safe to say that Honor and Valor can do the opposite, and win battles?
>>
>>131867548
Well of course...it was the greatest empire to ever exist, any historian east, or west will agree.

This is not a Rome vs Norse or viking thread.

I been using examples of warriors from all creed.
>>
>>131867537
>Oh I forgot women and children fought battle hardened legions that been fighting in hispania for years and lost
You cant even get your damn facts straight. Marius campaigned in Mauretania against the Numidian king Jugurtha, and was put in charge of the defense against the Cimbri after they had absolutely annihilated every single other consular army put into the field by Rome. The women and children were standing behind the men, and when the men were routed the women killed themselves and their children.

I forgot Romeaboos get their history from comic books and cartoons.
>>
>>131866620
Normans were nords olny by blood (and even that barely) otherwise they were completely assimilated. Also this was constructed in the fucking high middle ages, long after the viking barbarians were gone.
>>
File: legion man 1.jpg (111KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
legion man 1.jpg
111KB, 600x600px
>>131867759

Nah man I was just giving us all a sense of common ground

>And also to bait Anti-Rome people
>>
>>131867813
The Normans were assimilated into Christianity the same way Turks were assimilated into Islam. They maintained their martial attitude and sense of elitism.
>>
>>131867884
Fucking what? They spoke latin and french and fought in the style of franks, almost nothing remained of their original culture.
>>
>>131867548
Rome was absolute shit. Couldn't establish a decent line of succession, profligate hedonists, could never figure out how to plan long term. Never figured out how to manage their borders, defense in depth, or divide and conquer. Every was given to them, literally in the case of the Kingdom of Pergamon.
>>
>>131867978
Read my post again.
>>
File: 1408445535911.jpg (471KB, 1400x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1408445535911.jpg
471KB, 1400x1108px
>>131864165
>vikings
>literally snow niggers
>the only memory they left behind was how primitive they were
>>
>>131868232
Two pics on the bottom right aren't even in the Roman (aka Greek) architectural style. The August statute was a copy+pasted counterfeit of an earlier greek statue.
>>
File: pantheon.jpg (11KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
pantheon.jpg
11KB, 289x174px
>>131867992

>>And also to bait Anti-Rome people

Rome was, and is, the most influential empire to ever exist on the face of the Earth.

How do I know?

>We're speaking with Latin letters
>The world uses a Latin calendar
>Western culture is based on Rome
>And we all know how the West did
>Monuments of Roman design still stand
>Romans were the fucking MASTERS of architecture
>Look at the Pantheon, Colosseum, Theodosian Walls, etc.
>>
>>131867992
An empire that lasted over 1 and half millennium is not long term

okay kiddo
>>
File: 1386568336354.gif (179KB, 494x665px) Image search: [Google]
1386568336354.gif
179KB, 494x665px
>>131868516
>>
File: anglo saxon.jpg (7KB, 162x161px) Image search: [Google]
anglo saxon.jpg
7KB, 162x161px
>>131868516

>I like Old English
>Viking Language
>REEEEEEEEEEE

I'll have you know English is in no way "Viking" or Norse
It is a shoot off of Germanic way before Norse formed
The first "English" was Anglo-Saxon
>Eala! hu gæþ hit þe?
Some Norse words were stolen by English
But English is NOT Norse
>>
>>131864165
That is really bad art
>>
File: Norman.jpg (10KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
Norman.jpg
10KB, 194x259px
>>131867884
>>131867978
My paternal ancestry is Norman and from what I've read, they did quite a bit of assimilation. This was common wherever the Nordics went, they adopted local customs and did their best to conform. But with all the Nordics, especially the Normans, their concepts about elitism and honor were so culturally ingrained that it took quite a long time for those trends to dissipate. It's my opinion that the religious views of their ancestors played a huge role in this, and oral tradition likely played a part, even after they adopted Christianity. I can see aesthetic patterns that are similar to their Nordic ancestors in things like pic related, this was centuries after the assimilation period I believe.

I don't know about martial attitude or anything like that. It sounds interesting, likely interwoven in their concepts of hierarchy and natural order., though this became progressively Christianized and faded. I wish it hadn't.
>>
>>131868020
And you read mine ffs, they did not raid, pillage and steal, they fought organised like the frankish armies with heavy cavlary and all. The invasion of the British isles was not due to some sense of superiority it was a quest to destroy the pagan heathens.
>>
>>131868743
Both norse and old english are shot offs of germanic...
>>
Question for myself and everyone else
>How is this Politically Incorrect?

Oh well, I'm still having fun
>>
>>131868404
>We're speaking with Latin letters
Latin letters were spread by the Christian Church, not Rome, and it was derived from the Cumae alphabet, a Greek alphabet which was in turn derived from Phoenician.
>The world uses a Latin calendar
The world uses the Gregorian calendar, invented in 1582, not the Julian (Roman) calendar.
>Western culture is based on Rome
Occidental culture is based on Greece, not Rome. Roman philosophy does not hold a fucking candle to Greek philosophy.
>And we all know how the West did
Ah yes those Germanic barbarian kingdoms who conquered the world.
>Romans were the fucking MASTERS of architecture
>What are latifundia
Everything that was shite has collapsed already, so you dont get to see it. The pic you posted is actually in the form of a MOSQUE, not a Greek temple, signifying the inward orientalization that was well underway in Rome at the turn of the millennium.
>Look at the Pantheon
temple style stolen from the Persians
>Colosseum
a fucking sportsbowl
>Theodosian Walls
Built by Greco Thracians.
>>
>>131867992
Rome was able to succeed catastrophic defeats that would had destroyed other nations ipso facto. His strength, organization, and "vir", (virtue virile), is legendary. The sense of civic duty among Romans has not been surpassed in the whole history.

Vikangz mentality quickly warms up, but it's incapable of maintaining a lasting sense of cohesion. Much less to create something so enduring.
>>
>>131864165
Swedish vikings besieged constantinople multiple times
>>
>>131869000

North and West Germanic split of REALLY early on from Proto-Germanic family

Proto-Germanic was around the time of the Romans.

Norse is of course, North Germanic
English, like German, is West Germanic
>>
>>131865423
>eurotards will believe this
>but Chris Kyle killng 70+ insurgents is too outlandish for them
eurocucks are pathetic
>>
File: 1413975572515.jpg (308KB, 1532x763px) Image search: [Google]
1413975572515.jpg
308KB, 1532x763px
>>131864165
We wuz warriorz and shiet
We wuz seafarers and shiet
>>
>>131868855
The Normans spent decades warring with the Papacy and even sacked Rome. They played a primary role in the First Crusade. Similar to how the Seljuk Turks subjugated the Abbasid caliph, ushering in Turkic dominance in the Middle East. The Battle of Manzikert (Seljuk Turks defeat Byzantines and take over Anatolia) is what triggered the Crusades. Both groups simultaneously lorded it over their supposed brothers in faith and waged holy war on other groups.
>>
Vikings got genocided by native americans
>>
They were pretty shit tier. Only the Norman descendants became good warriors. The odds they faced in Sicily and the first Crusade were insane
>>
>>131866055
They were glorified goons
They were employed to protect the emperor (kick commoners heads in when they got uppity) without running the risk of siding with the commoners
>>
>>131864165
>Frisii (Frisian) is still spoken today and can be dated back to 200 bc
Latin cucks BTFO
>>
>>131864165
Because if your ancestors were pillaging barbarians then they're glorious warriors.
>>
They did what everyone else was doing at the time: conquest. The saxons and franks were not innocent by a longshot. The vikings were also the greatest sailors on the entire planet during the viking age.
>>
File: Peterborough.Chronicle.firstpage.jpg (588KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Peterborough.Chronicle.firstpage.jpg
588KB, 1024x1536px
>>131869324

The fuck does Chris Kyle have to do with any of this?
By the way, check this- >>131866865
>>
>>131869331
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(860)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27–Byzantine_War_(907)
>>
>>131868891
You fucking idiot. The Normans invaded Britain because William was supposedly promised the throne by Edward the Confessor, a descendant of Knut the Great (Danish king of North Sea Empire). His opponents were all Christians. The use of heavy cavalry is absolutely irrelevant to their Norse heritage, they were conforming to the lifestyle of the landed gentry which included mastery of horse riding as a sign of status.
>>
>>131864311
>best seafarers of their times
nope that would be the polynesians
>>
>>131869331

Lmao! fucking saved.
>>
>>131869104
You're not presenting any argument, only audibly masturbating.
>>
>>131864311
>Vagarian guard
>Vikings
Kek
>>
>>131869076
>Latin letters were spread by the Christian Church
Yes because romans never spread their culture onto others...
> the Gregorian calendar
An improved version of the Julian calendar
>muh Greeks
Romans took many things from the Greeks, but the main point is they evolved it, there is no point in inventing stuff that has already been invented. Greek culture simply stagnated after Rome came to power untill it got assimilated.
>buhu im not impressed by roman architecture
your opinion is worthless, Romans were lightyears ahead in engineering and architecture, again a lot of things were inspired but ultimatly made better.
>>
>>131864165
It probably has something to do with all the historical stories and legends about how they were fearsome and ruthless warriors.
>>
>>131869576
The rus were slavic and norse inbreds...
>>
>>131869576

Yet it wasnt until half a millennium later until it finally fell. Your point is irrelevant.

>we lost several sieges and were paid to just fuck off
>>
>>131864311
Varangian guard wasn't exclusively Viking though, they had Dutch, German and Anglo Saxons fighting for them too
>>
>>131869714
Thats because your IQ is room tempature.

Room suffered great catastrophic disaesaters, natural, disease, Constant warfare and raids from barbarians, constant political and domestic upheaval the list goes on so how retarded are you? Rome was notorious for quickly coming back from a major defeat and BTFO anyone who stood in their wake
>>
File: varangians.jpg (12KB, 200x141px) Image search: [Google]
varangians.jpg
12KB, 200x141px
>>131869849

But the core and foundation of the Varangians were Norse men
>>
>>131869576
>Siege of Constantinople (860)
>siege a literally undefended city
>fail
>angrily kick down the fishermens huts
>WE

>Rus'–Byzantine War (907)
>The memory of the campaign seems to have been transmitted orally among several generations of the Rus
>Greek sources do not mention it at all
Top zozzle
Definitely happened
>>
>>131869791
Second raid yes, first raid no
>>
>>131864165
Yeah, it's not like some descendents of vikings like normands basically ruled Europe.
>inb4 they were christians
Most of the people on the coast and along the seine were pagan, and There were many pagans normands who fought in hastings, sicily and the first crusade.
But yeah, take an example That broadly fits your definition of vikings and keep saying they suk bc "muh big battles r better than actual skill"
>>
>>131869364
I think the religiosity of the Normans was a meme they accepted. I've been reading stories about the English conquest and some of them had to be Anton Chigurh tier psychopaths, except big and Nordic looking maybe. I'm new to all of this, but I'm really getting into family history and origins. I'm reading about Scotland now, after Macbeth's reign to see why that all played out accordingly. This stuff is fascinating to me.
>>
>>131869630
Wrong on 2 levels.

First the vikings covered much more of the globe than the polynesians.

Second during the viking age the polynesians were conquered by other civilizations.
>>
>>131870023
that's the point... the Polynesians did it long before them
>>
>>131869724
>Yes because romans never spread their culture onto others...
Muh culchur. If you want to play the genealogical game I will play it too.
>An improved version of the Julian calendar
A different type of a calendar is a different type of calendar.
>>muh Greeks
Romans took many things from the Greeks, but the main point is they evolved it,
Like what? Name something. Stop speaking in such ambiguous term.
>Greek culture simply stagnated after Rome came to power untill it got assimilated.
Yeah lets just ignore Alexandria from 200 BC to 600 AD and the following two thousand years of development in Greek culture.
>Romans were lightyears ahead in engineering and architecture, again a lot of things were inspired but ultimatly made better.
Again, you can't describe anything specific because your views aren't based on reason.
>>
>>131864311
>1068
>1200
>viking riders

No wonder you are a huge faggot
>>
>>131864165
The good vikings founded Rus.
The nigger vikings eventually died in battle.
The modern vikings stayed behind to inbreed.
>>
>>131869985
The Normans were exceptionally brutal. King Arthur is famous because the Normans used it as propaganda to support his rule over the Anglo Saxon invaders (quite hypocritical). The Anglo Saxons were treated as the middle children of his kingdom. The ressentiment that Nietzsche noticed in Jews applied also to the English, which is why they became so philosemitic (empathizing with their persecution under Roman rule). Hence in many ways I hold the view that the English Civil War was a replaying of the events of 1066, only this time the Anglo Roundheads defeated the largely Norman descended cavaliers (a similar dynamic is present in the American civil war between north and south).
>>
>>131869714
A single defeat like Cannae would had been more than enough not only to put an end any expansionist ambition, but to reduce to ashes to any nation.

Pater familias, civic duty, was literally a sacred role among Romans. There was nothing more important. And no one else has repeated this.
>>
>>131869626
>The use of heavy cavalry is absolutely irrelevant to their Norse heritage
>They maintained their martial attitude
How excatly is replacing a barbaric warrior culture with a feudal proto-knight waring system "maintaining your martial attitude", they were not conforming they were assimilating and by the time they invaded Britain their old way were practicaly gone.
>>
>>131870210
The Varangian guard was established in the 900s at the height of the Viking Age. After 1066 the guard was largely formed out of English refugees, who fought in basically the same style as Norse huscarls. The English even established a colony on the Black Sea called New England.
>>
>>131864165
among other things. The "vikings did not fight armed men" is a meme. Take the Danes conquest of England and the settlements on Ireland.
Sure people glorify them way too much but viking society was not vastly different from other north Germanic ones. The Anglo and Saxon had nearly identical culture and only began to more in another direction since their encounter with Christianity. Same shit that happened with the "vikings".

>If they were so fierce why did they always flee when a retinue was dispatched?
factually wrong.

>Why were there very few sieges and high-stakes battles?
during the viking era sieges where far and few between. As for pitched battles vikings participated in a fair number. People forget that Danish huscarls (vikings) thought for the English king against the Norwegian vikings and against the Norman invasion. Popular culture likes to paint stuff in black and white but that is not how history is.

>meanwhile romans fought pitched battles involving hundreds of thousands of men, elephants and seiged the mightiest walls with feats of engineering mastery.
indeed. The Roman empire was far more advanced and more impressive than any Germanic culture from the same time period or one thousand years after. The battles involving thousands of men however can be contributed to the relative little population that lived in such arid and hostile lands the vikings came from.
>>
>>131865669
>Harald Hardrada
>Best known for being defeated by the English
by the English king with an army consisting of Anglo-Saxon freemen and a core of Danish Huscarls aka vikings. They swore allegiance to England after the danish king Canute died after he had become king of England and left no heir.
>>
>>131870453
They still held the city. Hannibal did not have the resources or manpower to take Rome, and they knew this quite well. They were counting on defeating the Carthaginians in Spain, which they eventually did.

>>131870540
Are you telling me the Franks and the Goths, both using heavy cavalry system, were not barbarians? Btw these knights are not at all like what is depicted in medieval times. They are little more than mounted sergeants, equipped with mail and a metal helm and a spear on an uncovered horse. The Anglo Saxons still fought in the shieldwall yet by all means had adopted the feudal levy system.
>>
>>131870540
>by the time they invaded britain their old ways were practically gone
>drakkars
>removing the dragon heads from the drakkars before landing
>thor aïe
Also, in sicily
>raiding very simmilarly to vikings, notably raiding rome
>>
>>131870161
Now you are just being contrarian

They literally have laws that forbade architects from raising Insulas higher than six stories
Rome itself had 1 million residents, an unprecedented achievement for a city at this age and for many centuries after just because of how extensive the sewage and the aqueducts were

Literally all major nations that went on being empires were founded around cities the Romans left behind (London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona)
>>
>>131864165
Vikings were awesome

They were niggers, but they were /ourniggers/.
When the dust settled and absolute viking barbarism ended, they actually achieved a lot of great things like sailing to newfoundland, creating first unified Russian state and defending golden apple of Europa Constantinople as varangian guards.
Even if they never written a lot of things, they gave us most magnificent stories and songs in existence, inspired people to explore the unknown seas and distant lands.
>>
>>131870849
>But here we inhabit a city supported for the most part by slender props for that is how the bailiff holds up the tottering house, patches up gaping cracks in the old wall, bidding the inmates sleep at ease under a roof ready to tumble about their ears… smoke is pouring out of your third-floor attic, but you know nothing of it; for if the alarm begins in the ground-floor, the last man to burn will be he who has nothing to shelter him from the rain but the tiles, where the gentle doves lay their eggs.

>...the building of houses, which goes on unceasingly in consequence of the collapses and fires and repeated sales (these last, too, going on unceasingly); and indeed the sales are intentional collapses, as it were, since the purchasers keep on tearing down the houses and build new ones, one after another, to suit their wishes… Now Augustus Caesar concerned himself about such impairments of the city, organizing for protection against fires a militia composed of freedmen, whose duty it was to render assistance, and also to provide against collapses, reducing the heights of the new buildings and forbidding that any structure on the public streets should rise as high as seventy feet.

Rome was a fucking shithole, which is why later emperors never even wanted to visit the city.
>>
>>131864165
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridgeway_Hill_Viking_burial_pit

>based anglo
>>
>>131871079
Who are you quoting
>>
File: anglo saxon noble.jpg (11KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
anglo saxon noble.jpg
11KB, 265x190px
>>131871143

The Eternal Anglo

>As far back as the 5th Century
>>
>>131871186
Google it nigger. Juvenal and Strabos Geography. Insula were worse than favelas and kept collapsing or catching on fire, which is how Crassus made his fortune.
>>
>>131870161
You made a preposterous absolute claim that olny the church ever spread the latin letter which is downright retarded.
The ancient Greek culture died with the downfall of the city states, what came after was a combination of years of roman domination and what little was left of the original.
>Like what?
Literature, rhetoric, law, statesmanship, road connections, trade, religion, (proto)-industry, sewage sytems, concrete, building on a large scale, statics, aqueducts, temples, mosaics, sculpting (not so much in style but production), bassilica, baths, central heating, insula, pantheon, circus, city layouts, colonising and I could go on and on and on.
>>
>>131870432

Thats a pretty interesting idea, I know the differences between the Saxons and the Normans lives on, even to this day we live under an oppressive foreign aristocracy. They even still have Norman names like Montgomery, Talbot, Radcliffe, Sinclair etc.

The King Arthur mythology is also interesting since the Normans lost their ancestral lands in France and gradually became more 'English' in their self perception they had to crush the King Arthur meme that you claim they fostered again for propaganda purposes. During the Welsh rebellions Edward I officially recognised the supposed tomb of King Arthur in order to put to bed the myth that King Arthur would return to save the Welsh from the English, which could have proved a good rallying call for the Welsh.
>>
File: ! Excellent Post, anon.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
! Excellent Post, anon.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>131866837
11/10 magnificent post, anon.
>>
>>131864165
Vikings were Scandinavian pirates. Not a tribe of people. Most Scandinavians were farmers, shepherds, fisherman craftsmen, etc. normal stuff.
>>
>>131871328
>Strabos
>butthurt conquered greek bitching about how bad rome is from his village with no running water

heh
>>
>>131870783
The term barbarian is very ambigous and is mainly used in a derogotary sense, and in th 11th century calling the franks (the french at this point) barbarians is the same as calling all of europe barbarians.
>>
>>131870841
How abut you put this in proper text and not shitpost
>>
>>131864165
Are you retarded? Viking invasion of England, dukes of Normandy( William the conquerer), Kings of Sicily, ruled over all of western Russian Slavs, and did all of that without ever needing a large army. If anything medieval warfare was idiotic they just meet at a pre determined spot and slaughter each other. The Vikings didn't have gigantic amounts of land and peasantry to draw from and yet they still made the rulers of Europe shit their pants for hundreds of years.
>>
>>131869431
Success
Breeds
Jealousy

pay debts
>>
>>131871571
>the same as calling all of europe barbarians
Only west and north europe desu
>>
>>131870210

Viking Age

Late 8th Century - Mid 11th Century

770s - 1066

>Many people point to the Battle of Stamford bridge as the "end" of the Viking Age
>Where the fuck does that 1200 come from?
>>
>>131871411
I think it is a primary reason for the divergence of England and the Anglosphere from the rest of Europe. After Henry VIII separated from the church of Rome, England was cut off from the continental philosophical tradition. English intellectuals instead turned to things like alchemy, and Liberalism was essentially borne out of these esoteric investigations combined with English ressentiment against their nakedly arbitrary rulers (after all, they lost legitimacy granted by the Church in Rome, which is how William the Bastard legitimized his claim to England in the first place). This Liberalism would be spread to Europe through Masonic lodges, resulting in the French revolution, etc. etc.
>>
>>131871515
Pretty much all Roman historians were actually Greek. Not doing yourself favors in that.
>>
>>131871815
>Success
>Scandinavian men left to enlist in the Byzantine Varangian Guard in such numbers that a medieval Swedish law from Västergötland declared no one could inherit while staying in "Greece"—the then Scandinavian term for the Byzantine Empire—to stop the emigration

Amazing success
We wuz refugees and shiet
>>
>>131871571
The Crusaders were perceived as an unruly rabble of barbarians by the Byzantines. I don't think there was actual sophistication in Western Europe until the Renaissance
>>
>>131871995

>We wuz refugees

They're gonna become refugees again at this rate
>>
>>131871676
>pol
>not shitposting
Fine:
Normands kept many viking traditions when invading england, first of all they still had drakkars, and they removed the dragon heads from the drakkars when approaching land, which is a viking tradition. Furthermore, the famous normand Battlecry "dex aïe"(god help us) was retaken by pagans in normand armies who would say "thor aïe".
>>
>>131871872

We've always been pragmatic and have abandoned ideology for what works at the given time, we make it up as we go along. And we have had to in order to maintain stability in a nation that had a strange dynamic of cultures and classes. Unfortunately this has ripples and effects on the rigid systems of continental Europe usually resulting in bloodshed.

Empirical method works for us but not for Europeans especially Germans.
>>
>>131864165
Vikings are a renowned people because of their mastery of seafaring. And the mass migration they undertook during the dark ages, which seriously changed the political landscape of northwestern Europe.

It's not hard OP, read some history, faggot.
>>
>>131864165
Same with pirates.
>>
>>131871923
All I am saying, facts speak for themselves

If you listen to a modern day historian/philosopher you will think we live in the worst era of history and everyone dies of toxic smog, man made natural disasters and literally all people are oh so sad and empty

People are little bitches like that and magnify the bad stuff while steering clear of mentioning anything good
>>
>>131871995
Whether you like it or not, there is a reason that we still talk about the vikings today, over 1000 years later, while not even mentioning other people's who led the same lifestyle of plunder, raiding, fighting and such. Face it, something about them made others fear them too such a degree that it became ingrained in their racial memory.

I bet that's why you hate them so much, you literal fucking brownskinned monkey. Your ancestors where probably raped by them. Go do something about your country instead of shitposting on a mongolian ricefarming forum.
>>
>>131872267
>racial memory.
Ah I see, I am talking with a mumbling idiot
>>
>>131867759
Remember, we did not really had countrys in scandinavia back then, it was all about villages and the population was small. Meanwhile Rome was a huge ass empire, it's not even comparable. Just too organize such a battle you would have to ride across scandinavia to gather men, it would take years.
>>
File: 1498486768268.jpg (131KB, 1000x630px) Image search: [Google]
1498486768268.jpg
131KB, 1000x630px
I much prefer the aesthetic of Christian warriors

I'm proud to say Germans ripped the Vikangz w new asshole whenever they tried to mess with our mainland

Historically European Christian warriors where the most dominant, from conquistadores do knights.
Christianity became the most dominant religion IN THE world for nothing

It's an antiintllectual meme Christians are weak

Scandis can be proud of their Vikangz though since it's all they have.

But mainland europeans going about muh VIKANGS are just pathetic

Like a Ferrari owner dreaming and talking about a Prius all the time
>>
>>131864632
And yet the franks who you say were so much better were so afraid of them that they gave half their kingdom to Norseman as long as they would become vassals. History proves everything you say wrong and yet you still sprout this bs. Vikings came to America 3 hundred years before those great western kings you talk about with their amazing supply lines. And during the late dark ages their was no army in Europe that was ever even close to a hundred thousand men so Idk what the fuck you are even talking about. Go read some actual history and less memes from /pol/.
>>
File: rtr37oa2.jpg (770KB, 3316x2338px) Image search: [Google]
rtr37oa2.jpg
770KB, 3316x2338px
>>131872161
your rulers never gave a shit about their people and what they cared about, which is a great way to maintain rule but not a great way to build a country with any of the principles the rest of the world hold dear.

Vikings have been romanticised tot he point of being ridiculous, and most people defending them are defending a cartoon like historical fiction. They were farmers that could sail and when a soft target presented itself they would rape and pillage.

The descendants of these people subverted and fought tooth and nail to reclaim europe so they could destory it at the hands of Islam. There is surely some bribery involved, but what do you expect when dealing with heathens?
>>
>>131872267
>Vikings
>Greece
U wot
>>
>>131872321
Alright, I'll use another term: Instinct. Better?

Goddamn, the ancients would be dissappointed in you son.
>>
>>131872389

Well you argue they still had the ferocity of Pagan Germanic warriors in their hearts.
>>
>>131872419
>Fuck franks, muh superior vikangz
You don't really want to go down that road cretin
>>
>>131872321
You're talking with a somali drinking iced tea from his council flat.
>>
>>131864165

Here ya go faggit. i don't have time to argue with you.

https://youtu.be/jngPAIGrzJs
>>
File: Viking_Expansion.png (193KB, 800x524px) Image search: [Google]
Viking_Expansion.png
193KB, 800x524px
>>131872389

>Germans ripped the Vikangz w new asshole

It was because you were too poor, not enough of a prize.
And, unlike "beautiful" Britain you were only slightly better than Denmark and the Peninsula

>Of course, if I'm wrong, please enlighten me
>>
>>131872526
You are just a Vikang larper and like to masturbate on fantasies about strong Nordic men while your sister is now out dating Somalians

You have been consistently BTFO by everyone in this thread, literally all you have to show about vikangz against the Greeks is a Rus fairy tale that told mouth to mouth and its clearly bullshit.

Have a good one
>>
>>131872545
What the fuck this has anything to do with Paganis , pagancucks?

Do you really need to slap this shit around like diarrhea?

Ferocity of German warrior, be it pagan or Christian
Contrary to you edgy brainlet teens I own my history as a whole, respecting both , without hating or trying to discredit the other,
>>
>>131871407
>You made a preposterous absolute claim that olny the church ever spread the latin letter which is downright retarded.
This is an absolute fact. It is why vulgar Latin diverged into different Romance languages.

>The ancient Greek culture died with the downfall of the city states, what came after was a combination of years of roman domination and what little was left of the original.
Yeah, you're retarded. Greek was still the dominant culture of the eastern mediterranean, and the Hellenistic cities of Alexandria and Antioch were the economic, intellectual, and spiritual centers during this time.

>Literature
Literally like three authors
> rhetoric
Invented by Aristotle and taught by Greeks
>law
English common law > Roman law. The fact that the Kaiser saddled his domain with Roman statute law is what held the Holy Roman empire back
>road connections
muh roads
>trade
muh trade
>religion
muh religion
>(proto)-industry
muh slave plantations that resulted in the disintegration of the Roman soldiering class
>sewage sytems
not unique to Rome, invented by Harappans
>concrete
Only thing you've named that is actually Roman. Even then we use a completely type of concrete, independently invented.
> statics
Greek
> aqueducts
Ok
> temples
every civilization has had temples
> mosaics
Greek
> sculpting
Greek. They copied or stole almost all of their statues and busts
> bassilica
Greek, the word is Greek
> baths
muh baths
>central heating
Its called fire
> insula
shit
> pantheon
mosque
> circus
pleb tier entertainment
>city layouts
straight lines amirite????????
> colonising
muh colonising
>I could go on and on and on.
Me too. Any more weak, non argument, name dropping that I can shoot down?
>>
>>131872711
>Founders of Europe
Kek
Insta-dropped

It's this case of you can dismiss the content instantly by the name of the headline.
>>
>>131872794

Pagans were driven by the urge to achieve immortality in the minds and memory of men through glory in the physical world.

The first christians went to live as ascetics with no wealth and lived in quiet solitude and contemplation awaiting the afterlife.

Now tell me which values Teutonic knights were more likely to possess?
>>
>>131872760
>Hey faggot you knocked me out because the balance in you bank account was too low
Lel

Strong hamsterwheeling
>>
daily reminder to sage fake flag posters
>>
>>131872993

>Strong hamsterwheeling

Give me evidence of Norse armies being repulsed by German tribes/petty kingdoms, and I'll admit my wrong
>>
>>131870613
>People forget that Danish huscarls (vikings) thought for the English king against the Norwegian vikings and against the Norman invasion. Popular culture likes to paint stuff in black and white but that is not how history is.
This is true, after the Norman invasion Danish and English warriors traveled together to join the varangians, the Greeks started to call it the Anglo-Varangian guard as well
>>
File: baited.webm (687KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
baited.webm
687KB, 720x720px
>>131872813
>> pantheon
>mosque

You were doing good but went overboard with this
>>
File: img_5774.jpg (21KB, 564x378px) Image search: [Google]
img_5774.jpg
21KB, 564x378px
Viking War Chant

https://youtu.be/mav2kkvakGY
>>
>>131872579
Vikangz, crusaders, wehrmacht, the romans. /pol/ loves them all. I'd say Germany has the most to be proud of, so enough butthurt.
>>
>>131872161
Pragmatism is the North Sea cultural ethic anyway.

Praise day at even, a wife when dead,
a weapon when tried, a maid when married,
ice when 'tis crossed, and ale when 'tis drunk.
Hew wood in wind, sail the seas in a breeze,
woo a maid in the dark, -- for day's eyes are many, --
work a ship for its gliding, a shield for its shelter,
a sword for its striking, a maid for her kiss;

Drink ale by the fire, but slide on the ice;
buy a steed when 'tis lanky, a sword when 'tis rusty;
feed thy horse neath a roof, and thy hound in the yard.

The speech of a maiden should no man trust
nor the words which a woman says;
for their hearts were shaped on a whirling wheel
and falsehood fixed in their breasts.
>>
>>131872918
None of the above sinve youre strawmaning and builiding false choice.
Your entire argument is empty demagoguery

Teutonic knights acted in the Glory of Our Lord a Jesus Christ and whose goal was to expand the frontier of Christendom and destroy all heathens
(Which mas a bit misgueded since they got wrecked by other Christians-orthodox russkies in the end , whom they considered enemies along with pagans)
>>
>>131864311
>Varangian Guard
didn't save byzantium from the arrows of the hun :^)
true fighters pillage and tribute every city and country in europe, not steal from peasants and sell themselves to greeks
>>
>>131873211
I won't spoon-feeding you faggot
You're responsible for your own historical education
>>
File: raiders viking.png (57KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
raiders viking.png
57KB, 1280x1024px
>>131873590

Mate, I don't care. To me it looks like you're just a cop out, not defending yourself and all.
>>
>>131873350
The architects of the Pantheon in Rome were Syrians. The style of the temple is that of a domed firmament with a single source of light, reflecting the duality of spirit/soul or pneuma/psyche or ruach/nephesh which is reflected in Semitic cosmology. The mosque is representative of this eastern religiosity. Contrast the Pantheon with a genuine Doric or Etruscan temple, which doesn't have a vaulting interior space but just a roof supported by columns in rows.
>>
>>131864632
>They lacked supply if they strayed too far from their boats
they didn't have a concept of supply
they raided because they were hungry
>>
>>131873520
>Muh Vangarian guard

I like!even how scandcucks only mention them
Incidentally they all moved to Russia , leaving the cucks behind and interbred with slavs this producing the modern russians

Swedes are the descendant of stay at home cucks
Russians of vangarians
Period.

Trying to take credit for someone who went into a another nations ethnogenesis is literal WE WUZery
>>
>>131873479

Pagan Ethics can be adopted by outward Christians who claim to fight for Jesus.

Likewise our modern secular godless society has maintained Christian Ethics.
>>
>>131873857
>The architects of the Pantheon in Rome were Syrians
>mfw

And that is my last response to you
>>
>>131873898

>Russians of vangarians

"They were a 'multi-ethnic, multilingual and non-territorial community of sea nomads and trading settlements' that contained numerous Norsemen—but equally Slavs, Balts, and Finns."

-Wikipedia sourcing [Pritsak (1981, p. 14)]

Russians =/= Norse
>>
>>131864165

Well, they were a bit fearsome to the English, where they almost conquered it entirely. Later on, as Norman Christians, they did - with only around 12,000 men.

Middle Ages Europe didn't see warfare on the scale that happened in antiquity. The largest real army assembled in Europe during this time was for the reconquista, which was roughly 60k men. The First Crusade had around 35k men, for comparison. So, not sure why anyone would expect the Danes to whip out 100k men.

But, they did cause trouble - raiding up and down the coasts of Europe. Why are pirates revered as fearsome and ruthless, and romanticized? Same shit. Every boy who isn't destined to be a faggot has some of that impulse in them - it was bred into us for hundreds of thousands of years to war against neighboring tribes, take their shit and their women.
>>
>>131873818
>>131873818
If you had two braincells you'd see that your map proves my point.

Look at the German are
Not a single settlement
"Frequent raids"
Kek
Vikangz got their ass ripped every time they tried to mess with superior germans

The German lands are georaphically the most close to vikang settlements , yet the least dominated by them
>>
>>131872095
>falling for the dark ages meme
>>
>>131874070
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollodorus_of_Damascus

How does it feel to be BTFO over and over (and over) again? Romeaboos are pathetic brainlets to a boi
>>
>>131874202
You motherfuckers are incredibly retarded. Read the Alexiad by Anna Comnena and it says exactly that, written in 1148.
>>
>>131874150
You are right , but how you came to the conclusion I mean anything other that what you are saying is beyond me.

Russians aren't Norse, I never said that
Only that vangarians, who weren't event eth icwllt Norse to a full extend , as you proved, were their ancestors

But vangarians had norse culture, as evident my their names , weponry and ships
>>
File: Soil Quality.jpg (442KB, 1816x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Soil Quality.jpg
442KB, 1816x1512px
>>131874173

Because, like Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and many other places untouched by Vikings

THEY. WERE. POOR.

The soil wasn't the best, England was much better, so were Russian riverlands, and Northern France

They had no "Kingdoms" in 800, they had the Obotrites, Sorbs, and other tribal men.
They also had Francia in the West of Germany, but Francia was much richer in France

They had A Kingdom in 900, and they had the normal tribes, Obotrites, Veleti, and others.
East Francia, was raided of course. But they weren't rich like West Francia due to the soil, resources, war, and other factors

They had the HRE in 1000, near the end of Viking Raids. I'm sure small raids still occurred on Northern coasts but this was the dying breaths of a far off age.
>>
File: 1497390681558.png (203KB, 1232x2974px) Image search: [Google]
1497390681558.png
203KB, 1232x2974px
>>131874173
>muhh german masterrace
>>
>>131874810

So GTFO with your Germans beat the Norseman bullshit. They didn't want Germany because

>Soil was tough, and didn't put out a lot in most cases
>No real centers of wealth

THEY WERE POOR DUDE
POOR AS FUCK
>>
>>131874927

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
I started posting on this thread 3 hours ago, I was the first fucking reply

>I know Norse longboat sailing methods
>I know general maps of Norse raids
>I know the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle years 1066-1067 intimately
>I know the soil quality of Northern Germany
>I know the questionable ethnicity of Normans

Why the fuck
Who the fuck
I guess it was fun?
>>
>>131875591
"Threw shitpost, knowledge"
-Me
>>
File: knowledge.png (6KB, 720x209px) Image search: [Google]
knowledge.png
6KB, 720x209px
>>131875937
>>
>>131872813
You're probably the most ignorant fool on this site, whos historical knowleage doesnt go beyond first 2 sentences on wkipedia articles.. Your pathetic "arguments" esssentially boil down to irrelevant subjective opinions, constant backpaddling to the greeks or even other irrelevant groups and just downright dissmisal of points you have no arguments against. It is a fact that rome was based on the greeks (and etruscans), but the point is they exceeded them and others in almost every aspect they adopted.There is a reason greeks never went beyond a couple dozen city states meanwhile the romans conquered the known world and created an empire that lasted for hundreds of years. Greek infrastrucure might as well be lego miniatures compared to the romans, roman enginering, planning, statesmanship, economy, discipline and law were second to nothing in its time/for many years to come (also plantations are not/ never were fucking industries you moron, I was talking about manifatturas, also how retarded do you have to be to try and dispute roman law with completely irrelevant analogies from the future). While the romans may not have been as philosophical or artistic as the greeks they brought art to the masses and expanded on it.
>>
>>131864165

They didn't need 100k men, back then. Most armys in Ireland and UK was top 5000 men at best, mostly only a few hundred. 100k vikings would've been overkill. You realize back then the population was no where close to the population today.

Vikings didn't write scrolls, so most information known from the viking age is from anglo, ire and british scrolls, and found artifacts.
>>
>>131864165
'' no major battles involving over 100k men ''

in a time period where there were almost no battles involving 100k men. The population across the globe was lower. This isn't analysis. this is kinda bullshit.
>>
>>131864165
You forgot
>they haven't even won ONE Super Bowl
>>
>>131877431
>muh ad hominem

>Your pathetic "arguments" esssentially boil down to irrelevant subjective opinions
How ironic. I gave specific reasons why the Romans are to be considered mediocre, and you respond with "nuh uh they were gud bois they did eberyding."

>constant backpaddling
Point to where I backpedaled.

>even other irrelevant groups
says the historically illiterate retard.

>downright dissmisal of points you have no arguments against
Bullshit. You literally are just spouting words like "religion" and "temples" and "roads" and "stuff".
You have not one presented a single coherent argument based on evidence, don't expect a detailed rebuttal to literally single words that you haven't even bothered to string together to form a coherent sentence. Faggot.

>It is a fact that rome was based on the greeks (and etruscans), but the point is they exceeded them and others in almost every aspect they adopted
>It is a fact that northern Europe was based on the Romans (and Greeks), but the point is they exceeded them and others in almost every aspect they adopted

>There is a reason greeks never went beyond a couple dozen city states
>Nevermind Rome was a city state and the Hellenistic empires to the east

>Greek infrastrucure might as well be lego miniatures compared to the romans
Completely fair comparison. Roman philosophy is virtually nothing compared to Greek thought.

>plantations are not/ never were fucking industries you moron
Yes it is. Industria is economic activity. There were smiths and manufactories but this is not special.

>also how retarded do you have to be to try and dispute roman law with completely irrelevant analogies from the future
We are discussing the legacy of Rome, yes? Obeisance to Roman statute law held Germany behind.

>While the romans may not have been as philosophical or artistic as the greeks they brought art to the masses and expanded on it.
I guess burgers are the masters of muh culture for bringing muh culture to the masses.
>>
>>131865802
Cucky army of pawns waiting to die vs free men doing whatever the fuck they want.
>>
>>131864165
Rus tho boi
>>
>>131878523
>not even understanding an ad hominem
You are a retard because you are wrong, I never said you were wrong because you were a retard.
> I gave specific reasons
What examples excatly? "i dont liek it", "b-but the greeks/ other group were frst!" and "muh x"
>words
Well I apologise if I presumed you had the brain power to put 2 and 2 together. They based their religion on the greeks and they expanded their practices, again greek temples were toys compared to roman temples, this one is just so painfully obvious- somethink like the roman roadnetwork was not seen untill the railway. Romans were experts at commerce- in the republic with the outside world and in the empire they had an expansive internal trade. The size, the number and the complexity of the roman baths insured romans were very sterile and in turn healthy. "buhu i dont liek it" The insula wasnt excatly comfortable, but it is what made Rome into the first million pop city and the central heating (simmilar to what warmed the bathes) made life immensly more bearable. Most cities that exist on the territories of the roman empire were made by the romans, by a simple and incredibly efficient city planning.
Wow who would have thought that what came after rome would sooner or later succed its predecessor its almost as if humans are prone to progress.
Hahahahaha what fucking "empires", the greek city states never went beyond disfuctional alliences and confederacies.
You are doing this shit again, Rome came AFTER the hellenic golden age they already knew everything the Greeks came up with, there was no point going through it again, they olny mildly touched upon philosophy, but many extensive works on rhetoric, poetry, drama, statesmanship history, politics were done (and no sad to say there werent just 3 known authors).
>>
>>131869630
>navigate comfy warm tropics. Fall overboard, no big deal.
>navigate the North Atlantic and settle such hospitable places like Iceland, Newfoundland and Greenland

But I do agree Vikings are overrated.
>>
>>131878523
>Industria is economic activity
Whorehouses are "an economic activity" that doesnt make them industry, there is a reason why I used "proto" because the proper definition is; economic activity concerned with the processing of raw materials and manufacture of goods in factories. A factury has to be mechanised, but the roman manufacture was highly organised and functioned simmilar to conveyor belt industry.
Roman law was the basis for common law which came 1500+ years later, while i'm no expert on law I can say for certain that the problems of the Holy Roman "empire" cannot be simply attributed to its law system alone.
And yes you are correct white peole are so good a bringing their culture to the masses that this culture is global culture and the dindus can now say they have none.
>>
>>131867244
Actually discipline doesn't win you wars.
t. military
>>
>>131880648
>You are a retard because you are wrong, I never said you were wrong because you were a retard.
I was expecting an argument and instead got a butthurt tirade from yours truly :^)
>What examples excatly? "i dont liek it", "b-but the greeks/ other group were frst!" and "muh x"
Their empire barely lasted three centuries before being picked up by offshoot states.
>greek temples were toys compared to roman temples
Give an example of both and compare them.
>somethink like the roman roadnetwork was not seen untill the railway
You are taling about the Via Appia, which was rivaled by the far more extensive and traffic loaded Persian road system built by the Achaemenids.
>The size, the number and the complexity of the roman baths insured romans were very sterile and in turn healthy.
Some habits of Romans were what we consider hygienic, some were not. They considered the northern Barbarians disgusting for using soap made out of animal fat instead of scraping themselves off with olive oil.

You are listing off domestic niceties that one would expect in an urbanized empire straddling the Mediterranean trade zone that ultimately has little bearing on the duration, stability, or quality of Roman governance.

>Hahahahaha what fucking "empires", the greek city states never went beyond disfuctional alliences and confederacies.
>What is Athenian empire
>What is Seleucid empire
>What is Ptolemaic Egypt
>Bactria? What????
>Pontos?
>Bosporan Kingdom? No way.
>Kingdom of Pergamon? Get outta here.
>>
>>131881381
>there is a reason why I used "proto" because the proper definition is; economic activity concerned with the processing of raw materials and manufacture of goods in factories.
Wow so no different from the Han Chinese or the Persians or India. Good job, little buddy.

>Roman law was the basis for common law which came 1500+ years later
Dead wrong. English common law evolved out of Germanic customs for settling disputes based on precedent rather than statute. One is dynamic, the other is static.

>while i'm no expert on law I can say for certain that the problems of the Holy Roman "empire" cannot be simply attributed to its law system alone.
I never said that it did. Stop warping things in your head.

>And yes you are correct white people are so good a bringing their culture to the masses that this culture is global culture and the dindus can now say they have none.
>Hollywood gives an accurate representation of burger folk culture
>>
>>131864441
The battle of stamford bridge, the battle of Clontarf Field, the battle of Visby. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Please stop.
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.