[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth going to college?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: Saiko.png (235KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Saiko.png
235KB, 500x500px
Finished up high school recently, And after thinking about it i dont want to end up paying debts back to Soros and Fags. My mom has been paying college debts since i was 6 and even after getting redpilled and off the whole "FREE COLLEGE" bullshit i still dont see anyway of going to college and not getting swarmed by debt. What do you recommend /pol/?
>>
>>131821079
Depends on what degree and what school.

If you're planning on doing STEM or business, do it.

Otherwise, go to technical school.
>>
if you are dumb, yes go to college, otherwise you will end up another useless neet. Only people who don't need it are people who become electricians, plumbers, welders and shit, but you can't be lazy for that type of work.
>>
>>131821079
Stem and commute from home. Most of professors are redpilled. Especially since I'm a chem major. And work restaurant on weekends. You will have no debts
>>
>>131821079
Shouldn't you have already decided where you're going for college at this point?

I'd suggest you look into a cheap but reputable state school and try for a STEM degree. I graduated debt-free from undergrad, and I landed a top grad school based on my work there. If you want to jump right into industry, that would also be much easier with a college degree.

Also, it's good to be educated. While you're there for four years, you can and should take a lot of random courses you find interesting.
>>
>>131821230
agreed. go for a trade op, being a plumber or electrician sounds like a shitty job until you start pulling in 200k a year
>>
>>131821230
Law is the only idea i have (Like Lawyers, not police, dont want to deal with niggers)
>>131821609
so as long as im not lazy and do one of those jobs im fine?
>>131821724
Almost but well a few things, Toured UT Austin and realized the place is becoming the next Berkeley (literally found communist flyers) and shit about Muslims, not only that but while i was a retarded liberal i was taking arabic (an unstructured language, not the advanced bullshit everyone says it is) which was the only attractive thing colleges would like to see. but alright STEM doesn't sound bad.
>>
>>131822128
Law is highly competitive, and there are lots of unemployed lawyers. Don't do it unless you're really good at it, or have connected.
>>
>>131822128
UT Austin is an extremely good school for STEM, and if you're located in Texas it will be cheap as well. Never mind the communist shit, you will be able to make a great career for yourself if you go there and do well, so jump on the opportunity.

btw, if you go there I'd suggest petroleum engineering for the literal $100k+ starting
>>
File: lamb.jpg (125KB, 763x509px) Image search: [Google]
lamb.jpg
125KB, 763x509px
>>
>>131822128
only do law if you can get into a top school, if you're not in the top 10% don't even bother, you'll have more life success as a plumber.
>>
File: students.jpg (80KB, 597x397px) Image search: [Google]
students.jpg
80KB, 597x397px
>>
>>131822816
>petroleum engineering
A literal meme. Horrible job growth because the industry had reached peak employment practically.

>>131821079
OP, if you're going to go to college, only go to become a medical doctor.
Everything else is a waste of time unless you have a TRUE passion for it.
God bless.
>>
>>131822754
Thank you anon
>>131823081
Unfortunately im not in the top 10%, way too many autists who don't do jack shit but study all fucking day and consume liberal media and act like they know everything.
>>131823060
>>131823129
Sounds like she and Soros are good friends.
>>131823259
I believe you anon but can you get a source for that, and while i was better than most people at biology i never really saw myself as outstanding.
>>
>>131821079
If you want to study something with little practical use, just audit courses. (That is unless you want to teach those impractical courses someday.) It will be cheaper and you'll still get the education and exposure to the material.
If you want to follow a career path in something practical, go to a trade school.
>>
>>131821079
Unless by law you require a certification to do it. Then no, you don't need it. There are plenty of jobs that require no certification. If you're going to get certified in something, go to the cheapest route and do it part time with a job. Stick with it and then you'll have an internship. Work part time there and you will have a job there. Do not flake from the liberal asswipe professors and you'll have succeeded.
>>
>>131821609
Not true at all. Not everyone is cut out for college and the world needs all types of people.

I didn't go at all and I make $200k/year living in NYC, which is plenty comfortable. I didn't go the trade school route though as they train mohels through more of an apprenticeship.
>>
>>131821079
Join the military?
>>
>>131823729
LARP
>>
>>131823259
>Horrible job growth because the industry had reached peak employment practically.
The country is becoming more and more energy independent, and as a result there will be a lot more opportunity for all energy sectors in the future. US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted 10% job growth between 2014 and 2024, faster than average for all occupations.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/petroleum-engineers.htm#tab-6
>>
>>131823729
>I make $200k/year living in NYC
Hello fellow HFT bro high five!
>>
>>131823720
What are some good jobs that don't require that anon?
>>131823729
>That flag
Not gonna bite
>>131823918
G.I. Bill? Man i don't know, if i join any branch it's certainly navy but im just not sure. Family has a history of military though.
>>131824132
Thanks for the sauce
>>
If at all possible, graduate debt-free. Ideally you'd do this through a scholarship so you don't have to juggle work and school or alternate between the two, but if you're a graduating HS senior options for scholarships are going to be non-existent.

Ignore the other anon about petroleum engineering, it's still very much sought-after especially up in Oklahoma (my home state) where energy is booming. You don't have to do it, but keep it in mind as an option. At least do something promising that you also have an interest in. Don't sign away 4 years of your life (or more) for some stupid meme.

That said, do go into STEM if you can at all help it. Rock-solid job opportunities, little opportunities for indoctrination (though I have seen people try), good pay out the gate, etc.

Finally, going to plug UT Dallas over Austin. /cozy/ campus, very study-oriented due to lack of sports culture (though I'm sort of miffed we don't have a football team) so the campus is full of relatively driven people the likes of which you're probably more able to get along with. People here are fairly willing to live and let live when it comes to politics, just be tactful with them as with all things in life.

Also since this is /pol/ I guess I should talk about the large Indian population on campus. I've heard bad things about some of them, but only the grad students - I know a fair amount of undergrad Indian kids and they're all really driven and smart.
>>
File: 20170629_002225.jpg (746KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170629_002225.jpg
746KB, 2048x1152px
I'm not sure, but whatever you do, don't end up working for Walmart for over a decade. Since you have a high school diploma, you are more than qualified than I am while being nearly 2 decades younger than me.
>>
There are a lot of jobs in the maritime field I've heard. My friend recently graduated from CSUM and got a nice 90k a year job.

I don't know that much about it but it seems to be a good path people overlook.
>>
>>131825040
UT Austin is the same man but + Muslims, I could probably deal with that though and honestly i prefer not dealing with politics and shit so sounds good.
>>131825296
Id rather kill myself then work at walmart.
>>
>>131825296
You are depressing
>>
>>131821079

If a job requires it, so be it. Otherwise do what it takes to get into your field whether that's experience or studying.
>>
File: 1498037029131m.jpg (81KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1498037029131m.jpg
81KB, 1024x576px
>>131825842
Never my intention. Just a deterrent for individuals to do better for themselves to not end up in a similar position that I'll unfortunately be in until my casket closes.
>>
You want to go for STEM or anything relevent to industry and technology

Anything that requires a degree.. avoid it
You are looking for a certification of a trade job. something you can learn only for on the job education.
really depends on your passion but be aware in the REAL world you are competing against everyone else who wants the same thing so you have to be bold and brass.
>>
>>131826259
I imagine you also live in a shithole Midwestern town too which is part of it.
>>
autists here will tell you its not worth it but just know that no one will ever truly respect you without a degree. ever.
>>
>>131826015
Yeah some jobs say experience and then you find out the job for that requires a degree sometimes.
>>
File: 1497864284823m.jpg (61KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1497864284823m.jpg
61KB, 1024x576px
>>131826445
Northeast. Never been to the Midwest in my travels.
>>
>>131826438
There's one issue with tech jobs though, they get outsourced to India half the time, happened to my uncle in Germany, poor bastard had to deal with the shittiest place.
>>131826447
Ive seen people be respected without degrees though, it's only liberals in debates that i see do that a bunch.
>>
>>131826819
The experience is the key NOT the job in question. JOBS come and go in ANY industry what YOU know to make YOU more available to employers is what matters.
>>
>>131823081

Sort of. I would say if the law school isn't good regionally at the very least, don't do it. Solid regional schools for example are U of San Diego, U of Richmond, that kind of thing. They place lawyers locally for the most part but you can still get a great job from these schools. Law schools are organized into tiers - the top 100 or so are tiers 1 and 2. Anything beyond that seriously don't bother. If you've never heard of it, there's a reason for that. The people who get law degrees and wind up working as paralegals or whatever are the morons who decided they should go to a law school ranked 300th nationally. That is pure stupidity.

Also, I strongly believe people should NOT go to law school straight out of undergrad. Work in sales or something for a year or two. Make sure it's what you really want. If you're unsure, you don't want to find out it's not your thing after you dropped fifty grand on your first year of law school.

t. Law school anon
>>
>>131825606
I roomed with two Muslims my freshman year. One of them was a pretty chill guy, terrible work ethic, but a great party guy. Really livened up get-togethers and stuff. The other one was pretty quiet, but real active on social media. Kind of an oddball, but he was alright too I guess.

Oh, and the other nice the about UT Dallas is since they don't have much in the way of sports, they hand out financial aid like candy. There's like 4 different ways of getting a full ride here, even. Seriously, there's nothing else like it in the nation as far as I know. Practically all my friends here enrolled because of that.
>>
>>131821079
>Is it worth going to college?
Unless you're taking a hard science, law degree or becoming a medical doctor, no.
>>
University is not job training
>>
Is comp-sci even worth going to Uni for? I mean, I feel as though a Bachelors in any STEM field is worth it just to show people you're not a retard, but is it really necessary for being a code-monkey?
>>
>>131828872
Honestly, you're better off teaching yourself how to code.
>>
College is fake education
>>
>>131829064
I know how to code and even did an internship, but I I want to have the "college experience" as gay as it sounds.

Money is no issue and I've already been accepted. Just can't make the final decision.
>>
>>131821230
Stem will very soon go the way of the arts and humanities. As universities are further pozzed, your degree will get more worthless as time goes by, while a trade certification or whatever will likely grow in value
Business is over saturated and not as resilient as stem either (stem is harder to corrupt because its harder to get around such cold hard facts, but they're trying)
>>
>>131821079
It is worth it in my opinion.
>>
Join the military.
>>
>>131829299
Research hard the college you want to go to. Leftist schools are horrible to attend. Is there a "humanities department"? If there is DON'T GO THERE! You'll waste both your money and your college experience. Also, avoid schools with a lot of minority students.
>>
>>131821079
Apply to college of the ozarks
>>
File: 1489482048515.jpg (57KB, 689x659px) Image search: [Google]
1489482048515.jpg
57KB, 689x659px
>>131828872

if you're not going to college to give yourself a license that puts you part of an oligopoly you're wasting time

college is used to prove to others you've done things. legally there are a few jobs that require this proof.

you can either choose to maximize learning or maximize license getting, but not both.

if you want to be a good programmer, you'll be getting good at a slower rate in (((school))) where there are tons of non-learning-helpful hoops to jump through.
>>
File: 1492230422926.gif (1MB, 207x207px) Image search: [Google]
1492230422926.gif
1MB, 207x207px
>>131829299
>but I I want to have the "college experience" as gay as it sounds.

isn't it funny how when 99/100 people say it's a good idea to do something, yet when you know through and through that it's not a good idea, you still go ahead with the crowd?

humans lol
>>
>>131829646

the greatest value left in colleges and trade schools are the licenses that restrict supply. if you are a quick study these places will only slow you down, but the value of the supply restriction remains.

of course these licenses hurt greater society in order to enrich yourself much more narrowly, but this is the world we live in.
>>
>>131825296

bait post, but

get a GED you actual fucking ape. literally trivial to do
>>
No reason you should go to college unless you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.

Unless you are absolutely set on a career path skip college and just do what you want for a career
>>
>>131829299
Go to the university, get the course list for a bachelor's degree and stick to CS or CompE.

Get in, get out. The whole college experience is exposing yourself to institutionalized education AGAIN (with a bit more freedom than high school).

It may payoff though.
>>
>>131821079
Given that you are asking this question, it implies you don't have any worthwhile skills or ideas. So yes, go to college, figure out what you're going to do.
>>
>>131825296
Breakroom anon, when's the last time you saw one of your coworkers actually crack a smile?
>>
>>131836432
Im not bad at anything, but im not top 10% at stuff either. Most colleges look for that but im not asian and i dont feed myself with liberal media to look smart unlike most top 10% autists.

Also colleges will literally accept POC who are stupid over a white male who's pretty good because "MUH AFFIRMATIVE ACTION"
>>
>>131821079
If you don't plan on going to uni for law, medicine, or STEM, learn a trade.
>>
>>131821079
no
>>
>>131821079
Go to a welding trade school, then try to become an oil pipeline welder. They make a ton of money.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.