[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /pol/ think about free speech?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 18

File: IMG_5790.png (111KB, 1132x1155px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5790.png
111KB, 1132x1155px
What does /pol/ think about free speech?
>>
>>131761058
Pic related is the best summation and exactly how it's supposed to work; you can say what you want but people don't have to like it, and if they don't they shun you, what's the problem with this?
>>
except when they can arrest and fine you for offending xier or saying opinionated things about islam
>>
>>131761247
The problem is that the people don't decide what's ok rationally, they just follow guidelines that others give them without even thinking (like SJWs).
I don't think an online community should ban anyone at all, no matter what he says. The users can block him themselves, why ban him?
>>
>>131761058
ANTI
FUCKING
SEMITISM
>>
>>131761058
It makes you an ignorant fuck doing whats pictured if you dont actually try to address the persons points though.
>>
>>131761058
Free speech is a meme
>>
>>131761058
So I can freely apply that reasoning towards faggots and such? Only the government can't discriminate but I completely have the right to shun them.
>>
The problem with free speech is that many people have nothing to say but make a lot of noise anyway

There's also the issue of NGOs that outgrow governments

I prefer a strong, morally sound ruling class
>>
File: asuka.jpg (129KB, 900x784px) Image search: [Google]
asuka.jpg
129KB, 900x784px
>>131761247
Of course it's how it's supposed to work, and nobody here has a problem with that.

The problem is that the people who say this nonsense aren't acting in good faith. They do not actually want a marketplace or ideas or free speech, they do not want the government to uphold it but for the people who disapprove to be allowed to shun social outcasts--they want government intervention. If they COULD make my opinions illegal they would, and we have empirical evidence that this is true--because in every country where Leftists rise to power, "hate speech" laws begin to pass, but are selectively enforced. They SAY that they want free association (which is ironically what they hate with all their beings because they want to flood our countries with shitskins) but what in fact they want is primacy for THEIR ideas, not just on message boards, not just in private venues but in every public place and every household and every forum digital or material.

Free Speech is not a law or a shitty six-panel cartoon, it is a culture. Free Speech requires the ATTITUDE that everyone should be allowed to speak--perhaps not in private venues but at least unmolested in public ones, and that culture is dead. It isn't just dead on the Left, it's dead on the Right. Nobody believes that ideas should all be equally considered and nobody believes in the moral duty of intellectual honesty and good faith. Our civilization has crumbled into a series of narratives and if you refuse to pay lip service to one in one of the many shrines erected to one of these false gods, you are not just to be ostracized but destroyed, not just boycotted by imprisoned and if possible killed.

So when you see someone expressing this smug nonsense, what you are actually seeing is someone making excuses for the death of liberty, and if you think I am fucking wrong, go look up the statistics on the opinions of the youth on hate speech laws. See how quickly the narrative crumbles.
>>
>>131761247
If you say dumb things people may laugh you out. But if
people are excluded from public debate for things they
say, then you don't have free speech. It's different with
private TV or forum, where owner can decide what can
be published. But they can't call it independent media or claim they allow free speech becouse it would be a lie, and as they are selling some kind of "product"(in TV or radio case) it would be a fraud.
>>
but people get arrested for racism
so how is that free?
>>
>>131761058
Weird how popular unsafe spaces are
>>
>>131763937
No where in the world is total free speech a thing. You can't say on a plane you are ready to blow it all up. The laws that cover this though are vague enough not to be tested. It will fall under inciting a riot or some shit like that.
>>
File: 1426001158173.png (17KB, 401x397px) Image search: [Google]
1426001158173.png
17KB, 401x397px
>"being yelled at, boycotted, having shows cancelled or getting banned from an internet community doesn't violate free speech rights"

>right to free speech means the government can't arrest you for what you say
>democracy means rule of the people

>the people are the government, therefore if they silence you they are trying to violate your right
>>
>>131761058
/ourguys/ deserve free speech
Commies deserve dead.
>>
File: 1489962160523.png (200KB, 999x442px) Image search: [Google]
1489962160523.png
200KB, 999x442px
>>131761058
You are on one of the only boards on the internet where you can say just about anything beyond a few civility rules. That's why people are drawn to it.
>>
File: 1496276874785.jpg (166KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496276874785.jpg
166KB, 600x600px
>>131761058
Everyone should be able to legally say whatever they want, whenever they want without legal repercussions.

The kekistan fags on here trying to get Kathy Lee Griffin and bill Maher fired for expressing free speech are just as bad as SJWs getting triggered over the word nigger.
>>
Democrats and communists don't deserve free speech
>>
>>131764421
We are not a true democracy, we are Represnetative Democracy, where the people elect others to represent them in the government.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying
>>
>>131765176
I know, although effectively that still means the majority of people still rule to some extent.
>>
File: genocide by UNs own definition.png (103KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
genocide by UNs own definition.png
103KB, 480x800px
Somebody should splice this comic with images from the civil rights movement where black people are "being shown the door."
>>
File: Heroine.jpg (723KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Heroine.jpg
723KB, 2000x1000px
>>131761058
/pol/ will say it is pro free-speech, until a woman is convicted in a "borderline" case. Then they go full SJW, and unironically think the emotional weakness of the target of your speech makes you liable for their stupidity.

Don't tell me to KYS; I've already tried it once today and failed, you will be liable for my death.
>inb4 volume of texts so high, that speech becomes equivalent to force
>>
File: free speech.png (15KB, 420x553px) Image search: [Google]
free speech.png
15KB, 420x553px
>you can't accuse me of being anti-free speech because I'm not the government
>...but I hope the government does make your opinions illegal
Liberals.
>>
File: free_speech.png (130KB, 582x593px) Image search: [Google]
free_speech.png
130KB, 582x593px
>>131761058
>>
>>131762774
Damn, well said for a nazi.
>>
File: XKCD Brit edition.png (30KB, 406x291px) Image search: [Google]
XKCD Brit edition.png
30KB, 406x291px
>>
File: 1457983104512.gif (743KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457983104512.gif
743KB, 853x480px
>>131765876
kill me
>>
File: xkcolond.jpg (86KB, 656x536px) Image search: [Google]
xkcolond.jpg
86KB, 656x536px
>>
>>131761058
>"But you better bake that Fag Cake or so help me..."
>>
Free speech is retarded. Only stupid Americans care about "free speech." Every country in the Western world has free speech. Japan has free speech, for crying out loud.

What people usually mean when they say "free speech" is that they want to be free to say mean, hateful, or otherwise illegal things. No one needs that much freedom. America was a mistake. They give a bunch of idiots too much "freedom". When will you burgers join the rest of the civilized world?
>>
>>131761058
The problem is simple, free speech ends when it concretely tramples someone else's freedom.
Me calling you a raging faggot is nasty, mean but I'm not physically impeding you from having your own opinion, that's freedom of speech and I'm entitled to.
Me calling you a raging faggot while screaming on top of my lungs and covering your voice and arguments, stomping my feet, taking your microphone and other means to physically shut you down, that's crossing your own freedom and thus should be punishable.
You'd think it was easy of a concept to understand.
>>
File: 1498139439298.png (1MB, 1123x820px) Image search: [Google]
1498139439298.png
1MB, 1123x820px
>>131767390
>>
File: 1492424231960.jpg (72KB, 800x621px) Image search: [Google]
1492424231960.jpg
72KB, 800x621px
>>131767390
>Free to not say illegal things

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((""""""Free Speech"""""")))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>>
>>131767460
>third reich
>free speech
>>
>>131767649
>not having lurked more before making this post.
>>
For starters anyway with all you faggots here. Are you honestly ready to physically confine somebody against their will for a sound that comes out of their mouth? That makes you a shitty person to begin with in my books. But what if the person doesn't comply? Or there is a misunderstanding while they are being apprehended and they get shot? Are you really ready to go that fucking far over something somebody says?
Jesus fucking Christ you are a fucking psychopath if you are.
>>
Free Speech is Free Thought and if there was ever a cause worth dying for, that is it.

When you are told what you can and can't say you are being told what you can and can't think. When they do this in schools it is called brainwashing. When they brainwash our children they produce human cattle.

Freedom of Speech is the most important freedom we can have, except, nobody has it anymore. We let it go.
>>
The OP's picture is actually false.

Being harassed into silence is not the equivalent of being "shown the door". If you express an opinion, IE "I voted for Trump because I feel like America needs a healthy dose of nationalism to get back on track" and a squadron of screeching shitheads come out of the woodwork to try and get you fired from your job and banned from public places and shamed publicly by misinterpreting your stance and calling you horrible things, you're the one being victimized.

It's understandable that people want to eject bad sorts from their communities but these days the definition of "bad sorts" is just abused completely and used to represent literally anyone we don't like.
>>
File: 1490178605168.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1490178605168.png
44KB, 657x527px
>be police officer.
>go to serve warrant for "transphobic shitposting" for some young guy on 4chan
>He freaks out, and runs through his kitchen and hides in a hall closet near the rear of the house.
>You make pursuit. On the way through the kitchen you see some knives laying on the counter. Was he getting ready to chop some vegetables? Did he leave the others out while grabbing one? You've got him cornered and you have no time to figure it out.
>"Okay I'm coming out" you hear.
>You step back, and the closet door swings open. He steps out, You see something black in one of his hands? A gun? A knife? No time to think. It's a tight space, you unload your duty weapon onto him.
>he falls lifeless to the floor and blood starts seeping from the bullet wounds in his broken body. Beside one of his hands lays a cell phone.
>You glance over to it. He was in the middle of writing a text.
>"Mom, the police are here. I'm scared."
>>
>>131768607
Thank god a white devil pig was slain, thank you officer.
>>
>>131766381
From what i saw /pol/ generally disagreed with the reason she was arrested/convicted but thought it was funny that something bad happened to a woman
>>
>>131761058

>or host you while you share it
>What are common carriers
>>
>>131766381
>speech becomes equivalent to force
Literally KYS for propagating such a fallacy.
>>
>>131769249
>Net neutrality, except for cishet while males
>>
>>131762774

Was just about to type up something similar.

This "Ah-well-we're-not-actually-shutting-down-free-speech-because-you're-not-going-to-jail" excuse is bullshit, and obvious bullshit at that.

Sure, you might not be able to make what someone says illegal, but you're still *trying* to silence or at least quieten what your opponents are saying by all means that you have at your disposal, rather than engaging with them in argument and counterargument.
>>
>>131761058
This its actually how it should work, depsire the actual artist being #artilleryforhillary
People have a right to tell you that they think you're a faggot and should fuck off.
All of this is fine, getting blocked by other people or banned from specific places on the internet.
Its a shame that the real reason this was drawn was probably because he supports the idea that ebil wacists should be arrested or blocked from the internet
>>
File: JBP.png (59KB, 220x262px) Image search: [Google]
JBP.png
59KB, 220x262px
The speech is the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN SOCIETY

Bloody postmodernists trying to take it away from us to suit their cultural marxist agenda
>>
File: xkcd freedom of speech.jpg (115KB, 788x1013px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd freedom of speech.jpg
115KB, 788x1013px
>>131761247
It's not freedom of speech if you get treated like an animal for having a certain opinion. Sometimes the "harmful opinion" can be something as mundane as 1+1=2, but if enough people have decided that "1+1=2=racism" they have morally justified themselves to guard the public from the "bad morals of 1+1".
>>
>>131761247
But when it's them who are shown the door, claim this is why they need feminism.
>>
>>131768240
>Freedom of Speech is the most important freedom we can have, except, nobody has it anymore. We let it go.
America still has it. Even just last week the supreme court decided unanimously that hate speech is free speech.

How did the rest of the world become so bloody corrupt
>>
>>131762402
>I prefer a strong, morally sound ruling class
But it won't be yours ruling.
>>
>>131761058
That's all cool and dandy, except you can actually get arrested, fined and jailed by the government for what you say in most countries in the world, and especially in Europe.
>>
If the public itself is not willing to defend it then why would the government? The second you remove someone else's ability to think and speak freely you're sending messages to officials about what the best way to slowly remove free speech is.

Notice how the creep to remove free speech has begun its erosion within the 'hate speech' movement. These people are enemies of the public and the saddest thing is they don't even realize it.
>>
>>131764747
Murder is rarely funny, especially without context. Kathy Griffin got torched because t media heads don't generally want to be associated with that kind of "humor".
>>
File: 1492918620475.jpg (188KB, 1334x1290px) Image search: [Google]
1492918620475.jpg
188KB, 1334x1290px
>>131761058
>>
>>131761058
Free speech is highly important, but at the same time overrated. I'm disconcerted by the efforts of the left to ban, punish, and redefine hate speech. Since all speech is free speech, why should any of it be illegal?
>>
>>131761247
The only thing is that it's different for universities. One because even private unis get public funds in some way. And two because intellectual freedom is important for academic integrity. If you are censoring opinions you don't like, the quality of education and research will be inferior because it doesn't consider all possibilities
>>
>>131762402
> I prefer a strong, morally sound ruling class

I too prefer imaginary utopias to ugly realities
>>
>>131766680
Wtf I love leafs now.
>>
>>131761058
In the most part, the comic is right, but it should be illegal to cancel a TV show simply because of its opinion. That's what leads the media to control society.
>>
>>131761058

By that logic, free speech is nothing more than one subsection of a legal document relating to the US, which does not apply anywhere else.
If you simply ignore the spirit of the idea, you can also morally justify taking someone to a remote island and kill them because "no laws lulz".
>>
>>131761058
I love how this was a left wing cartoon to attack Right Wingers, yet it so accuratly describes Lefties as well.
>>
>>131761247
The problem is that comic is used to defend the anti-freespeech censorship and rioting on liberal campuses. He's saying "people don't want to hear what you're saying" but the reality is there were MANY people there who WANTED to hear what these various speakers (Milo, Peterson, Murray, etc) but were prevented from doing so by violence and intimidation. This isn't using your free speech to "show someone the door", this is depriving others of the right to exercise THEIR freedom of expression.
>>
>>131772277
They have no self awareness
>>
>>131761058
>consequences
so if I kick your teeth in because of your free speech it's ok.
>>
>>131773156
Everyone should see this at least once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoOfRog1EMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoOfRog1EM
>>
>>131773156
oops didnt mean to quote you, fuck did it twice now
>>
>>131773156
(pacifist) consequences, nigger
>>
>>131761058
It's fine if people want to do this
They just have to be prepared for me to call them fucking retarded and/or a pussy
>>
>>131774178
he died way too early. imagine him teaming up with Jordan Bucko Peterson

>>131775514
this comic is an apologia for antifa monkey behaviour. and in any way when you shut down discourse fists will start flying.
>>
>>131761058
That comic is right but unfortunately making threats of death against someone for wanting to exercise their right in a public place doesn't fall under what he's talking about.
>>
>>131777777
>>
>>131761058
The top 10 social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, etc.) should be forced to abide by free speech.
>>
>>131761058
You are on /pol/, the one place on the internet where there actually is free speech.

What do you think we think about it nigger?
>>
>>131761058
Free speech is the most important right imo. There can't be any real conversation on a political basis without it. If a country violates free speech rights, death will follow.
>>
>>131779614
The theater is on fire, niggerfaggots! Ahhhh, feels good. I've got to enjoy this while it lasts for a few more months.
>>
I oppose all restrictions to freedom of speech
You ought to have complete freedom to say what you like, consequences will only come based on the content of what you say ideally.
>>
>>131768607
>Receive commendation for shooting the internet hate nazi virgin neckbeardbmeme lord
>nothing personnel kiddo
>>
>>131761058
it's true that no one has to listen to you, but when a significant chunk of the population is willing to use violence to stop speech the "free speech culture" is dying
>>
>>131762774
THIS
Today's free speech wars are following the path of a farenheit 451 dystopia: the government doesn't act, but the people stamp out things they don't like
>>
>>131761247

The problem is, as long as there is taxation they can both shun you AND steal your money without your input.
>>
>>131761058
wtf i love freedom of assocation when it benefits me only
>>
>>131761780
cause its kinda hard to look at a message board and see someone talking but you can only see what one of them is saying.
i guess i understand your background,
but in that case a mute could be in place or something similar?
>>
>>131762264
You do have the right to shun them. But the general public favors them right now so in reality it's you who would be shunned.
>>
>>131761058
this is the final redpill actually
>>
>>131761058
It's great, but my love of it is reducing my effectiveness with furthering my political agenda.
>>
>>131761058
Something the beta-male faggot that writes XKCD doesn't understand: Just because Jew-controlled leftist corporations that support totalitarian control of the media want to silence their political opponents, that doesn't mean we will tolerate their double-standards and lobbyist manipulation of government. We are showing them the door.

And then we are coming for people like you who enabled them.
>>
>>131768249
It goes both ways. Trying shouting nothing's wrong with gays In a nazi gathering and you'll be harassed too. People associate with others they feel close to or share ideas with, they don't want to hear dissents and noise so they'll do their best to silence anything that they don't like. It's just human nature.
>>
>>131764360
Norway

If you say you will blow up a plane you go under laws of threat. you are not allowed to threaten other people, telling the whole cabin that you are about to blow it up is an obvious threat
>>
>>131781932
>We are showing them the door.

How? By sucking eachother's dicks?
>>
>>131764747
>anything
>>
>>131767451
Totally agree with you
>>
>xDkc
A glib facsimile of legit western satire.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.