[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly gave rise to nationalism as a concept? I thought

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Napoleon.jpg (139KB, 647x768px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon.jpg
139KB, 647x768px
What exactly gave rise to nationalism as a concept? I thought that humans were always tribalistic, but nationalism is basically an idea only from the 1800s onwards.
>>
generally, nationalism came about as a response to the change in what the concept of a state was. pre-British Empire,a state was largely thought of as a group of leaders who controlled a piece of land and allowed the masses to live there in return for taxation and governance. then some limey fuck figured out that letting people think that they were, in fact, part of the state would give them a sense of self-righteousness, which would make them more agreeable to acting against there best interests, making the job of the rulers all the easier.
>>
>>131729666
Well there were no nations really before then so it couldn't have been much earlier
>>
>>131729666
>but nationalism is basically an idea only from the 1800s onwards.

>Well there were no nations really before then so it couldn't have been much earlier

>some limey fuck figured out that letting people think that they were, in fact, part of the state

american education
never fails to amaze me.
>>
men were given a larger stake in society, making them feel a closer connection. That is the benefit of republics. Unfortunately today, local politics are fading into obscurity and the system as a whole is begging to feel more distant.
>>
>>131730779
also: it makes for a good marketing strategy. nationalistic propaganda is the most effective propaganda.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.