[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China and environmentalism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: china1.png (671KB, 1140x680px) Image search: [Google]
china1.png
671KB, 1140x680px
I've noticed a trend recently of people seeming to regard China as the next big leap forward in environmentalism and green energy. It's getting to the point where just about every fad-science site ("I Fucking Love Science," "WIRED/Gizmodo," etc) is putting out videos/articles about whatever newest breakthrough China is pushing. Usually, the authors of these articles are Chinese themselves.

Could this be some sort of mass astroturfing effort by the Chinese government to build up support for them? If they make it seem like they're trying to reduce their environmental footprint in earnest, that will make people more likely to give them more gibs in the form of green bux i.e. Paris Accord. It also changes their perception in the world view relative to the US. Just like the media pushed that bullshit a few weeks ago about how Merkel is now the leader of the free world or whatever, they're also beginning to push that China is the leader of the green revolution and the US needs to catch up.

The Chinese have been known to do similar things before. A few years ago there was a problem of Chinese publishing fake scientific studies and getting them approved somehow in an attempt to make themselves seem like the forefront of scientific research, thus attracting more scientists, students, and grant money.
http://www.nature.com/news/china-cracks-down-on-fake-peer-reviews-1.22176
(1/2)
>>
File: china2.png (294KB, 711x736px) Image search: [Google]
china2.png
294KB, 711x736px
(2/2)
I've read a number of these articles and they all purposefully misrepresent the statistics to try and fit their agenda. Just like how people intentionally misrepresent crime stats in the US as a result of population base - "But you see, looking at the numbers white people actually commit more crime than blacks!" Well yeah that's because the white pop. in the US is 5 times that of the black population. You'll read a lot of articles claiming things along the lines of "China now the fastest reducer of carbon footprint, China reducing coal dependence at a faster rate than the US." This is all a misrepresentation of the fact that China has a huge population and just about all of them rely on coal for their home heating and energy. If the Chinese government can get just 1% of their population to do something, that's already more than 33% of the US population. It's like a fucking 450lb fatass going on a diet for a week and immediately losing 5 lb, versus someone who's already at a healthy weight going on a diet and he's only able to lose 1lb a week. "Wow that fat guy is really losing weight fast! Why can't the skinny guy do it as well??"

TL;DR: articles on Chinese environmentalism likely part of an astroturfing campaign.
>>
File: china3.png (628KB, 966x860px) Image search: [Google]
china3.png
628KB, 966x860px
>>
File: china4.png (377KB, 663x657px) Image search: [Google]
china4.png
377KB, 663x657px
>>
File: china5.png (328KB, 610x434px) Image search: [Google]
china5.png
328KB, 610x434px
>>
Everyone knows about the Chinese air meme. But you really have to get an idea of how bad things really are. Pic related, a salesman about to head to market with a truck full of coal bricks. Each one of these bricks will go to a residential home and be used for the day to keep their home warm, cook food, and provide light. Now imagine a country of 1.3billion people, where the majority of homes goes through one of these bricks per day.
>>
File: China-Coal-Production[1].jpg (2MB, 4000x2679px) Image search: [Google]
China-Coal-Production[1].jpg
2MB, 4000x2679px
>>131409119
Forgot pic
Anyways, seeing the lackluster response to this thread, maybe this stuff is all just common knowledge. I'll stop bumping. Just something to keep in mind when seeing articles like this.
>>
>>131408505
I wonder about this everytime I see China and Environment come up. Libshits bring this up a lot and also how shitty it was for us to leave the Paris Accords (according to them it was stupid to leave because we didn't have to adhere to the pact anyways).

I have an extremely hard time believing China is going to become a green energy powerhouse. Nothing they are do comes off as sustainable to me.
>>
>>131410635
What's annoying about this as well is that liberals put all this praise on China while they are currently emitting twice as much pollution as the US. You could make the case that USA emission per capita is higher but that only begs the question, how is China going to raise the standard of living for their billion people and not increase their emissions.
>>
>>131408505
Marketing
China is trying to sell more solar panels, considering they're sitting on a lot of its materials
>>
>>131408505
China tells commies worldwide it plans on using green energy and will clean up pollution. Pollution in china skyrockets and they're now even importing american coal;)
>>
>>131411595
Speaking of which, I was just hearing about how China has cornered the market for for rare earth metals. I hope China keeps fucking around so rare earth mines open up and they lose that edge.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.