[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Objectively, what is better: Protectionism or free trade?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

I am torn on this one. I know that economics dictates free trade increases competition and thus leads to better and cheaper products and more wealth, on the other hand the West is hard pressed to e.g. compete with Vietnam on price or China on price.
>>
>>130924486
free trade
>>
>>130924486
ur mom lol
>>
>>130924486
she is a hypocrite.

Solar panels from China are taxed heavily at the customs.

Why? Because they are too cheap (imagine that)..

Protectionism is in full force in EU too, just nobody talks about it.
>>
>Germany tries to isolate Trump
>Germany ends up being an isolated rogue state
>>
>>130924810
>Solar panels from China are taxed heavily at the customs.
Those tariffs were not extended, Germany voted the extension down, even though the EU wanted to continue them.

-----

EU member states have rejected a plan to extend tariffs on Chinese solar panels, delivering a bloody nose to Brussels as it seeks to sharpen penalties against Beijing for dumping products on European markets.

The rejection of the European Commission’s proposal by 18 member states is the first time that the commission has been rebuffed since its powers to impose anti-dumping tariffs were fortified three years ago. In that period, it has secured the support of member states for about 40 tariff proposals in various sectors.

The solar panel case, which dates to 2013, has long been a source of tension between Europe and China, two of the world’s biggest trading blocs.

It has split both EU member states and Europe’s solar sector, setting off bitter arguments about the risk of Chinese retaliation to penalties imposed by Brussels against ultra-cheap imports.

Thursday’s vote was welcomed by Solar Alliance for Europe (SAFE), a German-led industry body that campaigned for penalties to be scrapped. Holger Krawinkel, spokesman for the group, said was unfortunate that the United Kingdom had supported anti-dumping tariffs, saying a majority of member states had accepted the argument that “free trade is the only reasonable solution” for Europe’s solar industry and climate targets.
>>
>>130924486
Better for who?
>>
>>130926718
>Better for who?
The country which has the choice between protectionism and free trade?
>>
File: lonk.png (45KB, 305x312px) Image search: [Google]
lonk.png
45KB, 305x312px
>>130924486
I have job experience in international transport logistics and customs inspection. Tariffs fuck everyone. Producers, transport, retail, consumer, everyone has to pay additional shit for absolutely no benefit to anyone. Free trade needs to be worldwide or I'll have to deal with suicidal coworkers all my life. If Trump puts import tariffs on European and/or Asian products, we are all absolutely fucked.
>>
>>130926822
> the country
The 'country' consists of people belonging to many economical, political, religious and social circles. All change will benefit some and hinder others, sometimes both. Undoubtly, the adoption of free trade was a great boon for Great Britain's poor for the decreasing cost of cheap imported food, but was a curse, for many of the small-holders went bust and had to leave for dangerous, underpayed jobs for the cities, bustling with people, thanks to the abundance of food.
>>
>>130924486
Protectionism done wrong is disastrous. Protectionism done right is difficult to beat.

Historically, protectionism. Look at turn of the 20th century Germany. Hugely protectionist. Went from a backwater economy to arguably the world's 2nd strongest.

Look at the USA from 1965 to the turn of the 20th century. Hugely protectionist. Immense growth.

Japan in the 70s and 80s was hugely protectionist, but with rather lax tariffs and quotas. Instead they had technical, practice, cultural, standards for products and goods entering the country. Again... massive benefit for the participants of their society.

Just to name a few.
>>
File: 1492690548660.gif (3MB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492690548660.gif
3MB, 200x250px
>>130924486
>EU, free trade

I laughed, thanks
>>
>>130924486
At this time there is no words to describe how full of shit germans are. Those fucking hypocrites are fucking whole europe to boost their economy and eurozone get doublefucked and yet those motherfuckers have nerve to be virtue signalling, free trade, muh euro values constantly sticking their nose into someones else affairs assholes. I wont even start about how those slimybastards protect their own market even with breaking eu rules.
>>
>>130924486
In the market, the state should keep its own interest in mind, just like any other market actor. If faced with competiton from countries with considerably lower wages than yours, apply protectionism. If, on the other hand, your exports or your inport of raw materials are hindered by trade barriers, seek more free trade.
>>
>>130928223
>Look at turn of the 20th century Germany. Hugely protectionist. Went from a backwater economy to arguably the world's 2nd strongest.
Nigger what? The German industry has been booming since +-1850.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.