[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any advice for a Trump supporter

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: brawndo.jpg (156KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
brawndo.jpg
156KB, 1000x667px
...embarrassed by other Trump supporters?

I have the unpopular habit of thinking for myself. I keep getting baited into political discussions with other Trump supporters who don't know their head from their ass and want to argue with me and 'teach' me what they dont know.

I dont mind rural people. I grew up with them. But holy fuck, these people can have the most passionate opinions about shit they know nothing about.

This week I had a guy who didn't know regulations dont come from congress. Another was telling me about the MOAB being dropped in Syria. Another thought the UN was the name of the European Union. I'm trying to raise the alarm on the fact that the Dreamers are staying, Australia's Manu refugees are coming and that refugees generally are up, not down.

In response, they explain to me that the courts are blocking Trumps travel bans, and thats why Mexicans are still here. If I try to apprise them of this new Russian sanctions bill, they go completely cross-eyed.

I'm surrounded by goddam idiots and these fuckwits are supposed to be on my side. Did you know Comey met with Clinton on an airplane or that Trump got us out of "a bad deal with Paris"?

Me neither, the fucking morons....
>>
>refugees generally are up, not down.
>In response, they explain to me that the courts are blocking Trumps travel bans

Didn't the Muslim bans suspend all refugees for 3 months and Syrians indefinitely?
>>
I threw a wrench at D.C.

Doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to justify that.

Would you rather they "badly" defended Chuck Schumer? Maybe they could be like your average democrat and be complaining about "the great deal" that Trump "got out of" with Paris.

Yes, many of our boys weren't blessed in some departments, but I'll gladly combine their strengths with mine while we throw wrenches at D.C. whether it be from the safety of the ballet box, or something far more dangerous.
>>
File: 1492137189453.png (395KB, 513x597px) Image search: [Google]
1492137189453.png
395KB, 513x597px
>>130715919
Also, at least they're not niggers.
>>
most trump voters are legit retards
doesnt mean you cant still like him
>>
>>130714896
nigga this literally applies to the majority of people, regardless of political affiliation. do you think you'd have more intelligent conversations with a hispanic clinton supporter? fuck outta here
>>
File: 1497480599425.jpg (47KB, 999x113px) Image search: [Google]
1497480599425.jpg
47KB, 999x113px
>OP disappears in a puff of 'Trump-support'
>>
File: 1447527061679.gif (2MB, 303x228px) Image search: [Google]
1447527061679.gif
2MB, 303x228px
>>130715919
>>130716159

I think I understand. Im not ashamed of them. I dont blame anyone for not being totally up on how things work or being informed. I envy them, in some ways. I deliberately black out news myself sometimes because all the bickering can be toxic to the mind.

What makes me mad is that I assume that if they want to have the discussion, they know something about it. I am not trying to embarrass anyone. When I dont know the particulars of a topic, I shut up and listen to people who do. But when you dont understand a topic, its obvious to people who do.

Then they argue with me. Thats what pisses me off. I am trying to help them from making an ass of themselves in front of someone else and they are getting mad at me for trying to inform them

Maybe you guys have run into this in other topics. You ever meet one of these guys that dont know a transistor from a transformer but want to argue with you about computers?

If I see a goose and you see a duck and wanna argue about it, fine, I'll agree its a duck to shut you up.

But if I see a cocker spaniel and you want to argue with me for a half hour about it being a duck, we have departed reality. I have to wonder wtf happens to some people in their past that they feel compelled to argue from ignorance- passionately- to prove they are right when they are anything but.

>>130716970

I try to keep that in mind. It makes me feel like there is something wrong with me for bothering to prefer facts and comprehension. I dont expect everyone to be up on everything; I was happier when I wasnt. But ffs, why must they argue with me when I am just trying to help them.
>>
>>130718892
I just had a moment of clarity.
I guess this is what Europeans mean when the talk degradingly of Americans.
Yeah I've had the same type of run-in with family members, and never really knew why they were always mad when I tried clarifying things.

They'd prefer to live in a simple world of shouting simple things they believe rather than maintain an informed opinion. And damn, they fucking love to hear themselves talk.
>>
>>130718892
Tip for them: don't try to learn how systems work from sensationalist media. If they're smart, the first thing they'll do is turn that shit off.

>>130719373
You mean, the desire to live inside their narratives and leave reality out of it? Yep, that's Exceptionalistan for you.
>>
>>130716970
Wrong. Trump supporters are the least educated.
>>
File: 1289292009057.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1289292009057.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>130719373

>And damn, they fucking love to hear themselves talk.

I notice that too. I guess thats true of me also. I dont want to sound like a snob. Its just that its confusing when they want to talk about it and dont know much.

I am probably misinterpreting the 'game' being played. Humans communicate constantly without communication any information, especially females.

The point isnt to exchange information often, its to egg each other on into a feeling. It must be an emotional thing, one of those weird primate vocalization things we do, and we do a lot of odd things.

For example, I noticed I got a much more positive response asking for them to give their opinions and not trying to correct them even when I knew beforehand they had no idea what I was talking about. In a normal interaction, this might put someone on the spot and be uncomfortable. But I senses thats what they wanted, just to have someone ask their opinion, to validate that they have a 'view'.

Thats how Ive been navigating this lately. I just ask their 'view' and let them talk. Even if its nonsense, I just let them talk. Its peculiar, but very human.
>>
>>130723105
>The point isnt to exchange information often, its to
establish tribal identity, mainly.
http://archive.is/YTwPj
>>
>>130714896
I just try and avoid talking to other Trump supporters. I'm grateful that they gave him their vote, but holy shit are most of them are absolute retards.
>>
>>130723480

That was interesting and helpful, thank you. An excerpt, 1/2

Each side trots out its favorite talking points, most of them sound bites culled from popular media of one kind or another. When these fail to have the expected effect on the other side, both sides try again, with similar results, until finally one or both sides withdraw into frustration and hostility.

Though it’s unpopular these days to point this out, both sides in the current American culture wars follow this same wearily predictable pattern. ... If a verbal noise produces warm fuzzy emotions in one person and cold prickly emotions in another, they are not going to be able to communicate unless both are able to get past that unthinking reaction—and getting past that unthinking reaction is something that very few Americans these days are able to do.

There’s another useful way to speak of the confusion of language in today’s America, and that’s to point out that nearly all our collective discourse has been reduced to phatic communication. That seemingly exotic phrase describes a very familiar process: the use of verbal noises to signal belonging and readiness for social interaction. When two men sit down in a bar here in Cumberland, and one says to the other, “So, how about them Ravens?”—we’re halfway between Baltimore and Pittsburgh, so in football season it’s either that or “How about them Steelers?”—the question needn’t indicate any interest in the team in question. Rather, it’s a formal way to acknowledge the other person’s presence and claim membership in a community. In a different context, the question might be “Nice weather, isn’t it?” or some other equally vacant utterance. The form varies but the content—or more precisely the lack of content—remains identical.
>>
>>130724749

2/2

Much of today’s political discourse serves exactly the same purpose: it signals readiness for social interaction and claims membership in a specific political subculture, and that’s basically all it does. The verbal noises that get used for phatic communication in that context vary even with fairly small shifts across the political landscape, but if you sit in on a discussion among people who more or less agree with each other’s politics, you can usually figure out pretty quickly what the relevant warm-fuzzy and cold-prickly phrases are, and once you’ve done that you can identify yourself either as a member of the community or as an outsider with a very few words.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.