[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Handmaid's Tale - redpilled tv show?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: SaviourOfTheWhiteRace.jpg (11KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
SaviourOfTheWhiteRace.jpg
11KB, 182x268px
In an alternate present, the totalitarian and purportedly Christian fundamentalist government of Gilead rules the former United States amidst an ongoing civil war. Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly-created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, control money, or read. Worldwide infertility has resulted in the conscription of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead—called handmaids, according to an "extremist interpretation" of a Biblical account. They are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape with their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives.

TLDR: White Sharia
>>
>>130449708
Too blunt and hamfisted, a few SJWs will shower it with praise like they did for patriarchy busters then nobody will actually watch it.
>>
>>130449708
The entire series is based upon the premise that infertility has grown and have become a severe problem.

One can compare it to the movie divergence, where an apocalyptic scenario have unfolded and they have chosen to organize there society in a certain maner - not based upon how things are now, but based upon the apocalyptic scenario they had found themselves in.
>>
>>130449708
A better example might be the movie "children of men", instead of resorting to anarchy. Then the society adapt in a structured manner.
>>
>>130449708
I fail to see the issue with completely subjugating women. They are mentally and emotionally equivalent to children.
>>
>>130449708
Here's a review from a better time someone posted the last time I saw this thread.

http://exiledonline.com/old-exile/vault/books/review103.html
>>
>>130449708

wtf i love white sharia now

but srs the elites' wives should also be held in this fashion too.
>>
>>130449708
I went to Catholic School and we read this for class.

Also, literally everyone forgets to read the epilogue where everything turned out okay because The Republic of Texas kicked ass and brought real small government back.
>>
File: 1493545849649.gif (171KB, 224x533px) Image search: [Google]
1493545849649.gif
171KB, 224x533px
>>130449708

I've watched half of this. Girlfriend read the book. Apparently they made a bunch of changes.

Race swaps - to be expected. No asians, of course. But the show also makes her a cheater in a way she wasn't in the book. And it has a very strange "you go girl" way of presenting it too. These are deliberate choices by the showrunners.

And SPOILERS the big reveal is about the handmaidens being used to trade with other nations because everyone needs fertile women in this world where only a few are.

A few things:

1) Their biblical horseshit doesn't make much sense. It's got scriptural precedent and they make much of that, but don't stick to the "fruitful and multiply" premise. They only fuck the handmaidens once a month, even when they know even these women have reduced fertility. They should be popping loads in them the entire fertile season. Apparently it's even worse in the book because they're all old (impotent, infertile) men to boot.

2) Babies. Within the context of the show and world babies are the most precious commodity. Of course it doesn't make sense they'd ever sell the handmaidens themselves. They'd sell babies. Or the opportunity to fuck a handmaiden for your own baby.

3) They're not wrong. Even in the story of the show the fundie US is producing kids by the dozens and no other country is. Faced with extinction it's rather surprising and unbelievable forced baby making isn't just copied as an idea by every other nation in far less religious terms. Forced harems existed before, why wouldn't they in this situation? Again returning to how deliberately badly they set up the baby making process, any other country could make sex slaves and would, it's not a novel idea.
>>
It's one big Canadian hate thread to the United States. Go to hell, leaves!!
>>
>>130449708
>in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, control money, or read

Oh this is another angle that bugged me about the show. It's all supposedly about how bad women are treated in this world. But the wives live in luxury and the "Marthas" (servants) live in working subservience but aren't shown to be routinely mistreated.

..anymore than the men in this fictional system are. Because while the top elites are all men, the vast majority aren't in the elite. And they're shown to be just as hamstrung as the women. They can't have the opinions they want, marry or fuck who they want, obviously procreation is not for their class. Men are routinely executed in this world, strung up for resisting or not believing.

But once again everyone fails to notice this somehow and acts like society is subjugating only women in the show. It's the "meteor to end all life on Earth: women most affected" syndrome.
>>
>it's about women and fertility

and I was going to watch this, too. good rule of them is no female lead roles, i guess
>>
The thing i find most ridicolus about the show is how the main character consistently goes on in her about..
>Hurr if they didnt want us to be an army they shouldnt have let us wear uniforms
>Hurr stupid latin quote about rebellion
>Hurr will find my daughter
Entirety of first season boils down to... wait for it
>Strong independent womyn gets raped
Beyond the finale, there is at no point any sign of resistance or contempt shown from her. And even in the finale, it's all typical female passive agressive bullshit, not honest to god actual rebellion.
The universe and world building is fine, but jesus christ the plot development is moving at a slower pace than feminists in STEM fields
>>
>>130456541
Additionally let me just bring up the gaping fucking plothole, which is that despite being a dystopian patriarchy, the characters inflicting all the pain on the main character and in general fertile women are infertile women whom are somehow still being kept around. Considering that fertillity is so rare that it is a prized trade resource it makes zero fucking sense to make the fertile women the slaves, and the infertile women hold such status when it should be reversed. Adding further to that, the primary antagonist of the series can by law, not have a fucking job, not administer money, and can by nature, not have kids, yet she is the head of the house.
>JUST
>FUCKING
>WHY
>>
>>130457374
Its probably supposed to be a metaphor that women who choose traditional roles are enemies of feminism too.
>>
>>130454335
In the book, more men have wives, but the women are "econowives", who fill the roles of wife, Martha, and handmaid. Having the handmaid and Martha comes with an increase in social rank.
>>
The author was inspired by Iran when she wrote the book. She was trying to portray what would happen if "Iran happened in America". The book is not anti-christian per se as some people on /pol/ and TV are whining about, it is anti-religion.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.