[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Orthodoxy vs. Catholicism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: hagia-sophia.jpg (28KB, 411x350px) Image search: [Google]
hagia-sophia.jpg
28KB, 411x350px
I was reading some history on the church. Apparently most of the reason for the split was the Catholics asserting papal primacy. Can y'all illuminate me on other differences between the churches.

Also, post christian memes
>>
File: ignatius slaying luther.jpg (73KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
ignatius slaying luther.jpg
73KB, 500x749px
The Orthodox also don't use the fililoque when reciting the Nicene Creed ("...which proceeds from the father and the son...").

They also reject Augustine and Aquinas' philosophy as too rational. There's also a rejection of some post-schism beliefs like the Immaculate Conception.

At this point it's basically an issue of the Orthodox refusing to accept the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome as the successor of St. Peter.

Pic unrelated.
>>
Orthodox also don't believe in Catholic conceptions of purgatory, indulgences, or temporal punishment due for sin. Having been Catholic and investigating Orthodoxy I can say that Catholicism is far more legalistic. Catholicism essentially used Roman Legal code as a basic framework for theology especially moral theology. Orthodoxy on the other hand remained less inclined to codify these spiritual concepts and allowed for there to be more ambiguity and more mystery to religious beliefs. One example of the difference is that in Catholic lent, it is a damnable offense (a mortal sin) to not fast on the appointed days whereas in Orthodoxy it is not a sin to not fast, it's something that must be done voluntarily because that's the only way it is seen as having any edifying effect, if the person chooses to fast as a form of penance as opposed to it being coerced under pain of Hell.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.