[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people need religion

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: rust.jpg (25KB, 462x426px) Image search: [Google]
rust.jpg
25KB, 462x426px
I've noticed even non believers try to rationalise there being an afterlife through scientific means like "multiverse"
>>
The stupid unwashed masses need religion because they require a father figure and reward system in order to function in civilized society.
>>
>>130362463
I used to think no. But it's quite obvious we do need something. Have you ever met a normal atheist.
>>
>>130362588
Very few people admit to having atheists thoughts, it only ever happened in highschool
>>
>>130362463
sure, religion benefits society more than atheism does. There's never going to be a Brooklyn Atheist Hospital, for example.
>>
>>130362463
Probably. Most people are terrified of dying and what comes after.

It also helps to know there's something "beyond" because it gives meaning to life.

I'm not religious and I often become fascinated with the idea of reincarnation, even though it goes against reason.
>>
>>130362463
Then they aren't really non-believers
>>
People need to believe they will see their loved ones again
>>
File: 1497114815078.jpg (100KB, 593x447px) Image search: [Google]
1497114815078.jpg
100KB, 593x447px
>>130362463
Religion is a Darwinian sequence of successful social cohesion within a group. Be it a large abrahamic religion, all the way down to a law or tribal ritual, religion manifests itself as a set of concepts shared by a group to further the group's interests.
>>
>>130362463
People need a purpose and maybe some spirituality, but not religion.
>>
>>130363952
No true Scotsman tier
>>
>>130363097
>highschool
>the (((rebellious))) phase
>start becoming more (((liberal)))

What a (((coincidence)))
>>
File: GEyrbth.jpg (56KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
GEyrbth.jpg
56KB, 750x750px
>>130362578
this

nobody has the time to philosophize all day about morality. And most don't want to.

Religion is just ham-fisted morality, and it works for the most part.
>>
>>130362463
Most people need religion. Few can naturally hold the morals required for a successful society. Mans ability to establish complex societies is a gift of God and should be recognized as such.

I am not religious but I do think that pea-brained people need it, liberals most of all.
>>
>>130365109
Purpose + spirituality is essentially a religion anyway. If you want to call it a "distinct secular worldview" be my guest
>>
File: TrueBeliever.png (150KB, 756x756px) Image search: [Google]
TrueBeliever.png
150KB, 756x756px
Belief is a part of our evolutionary history.
Religion is simply an organized extension of belief.
Less intelligent people either accept it without question or discard it entirely.
Rational people understand that religion is both necessary and beneficial to civilization.

Destroy one religion and a dozen others will appear in it's place like weeds.
>>
>>130362463
Believing in a narrative is inherent to the human condition. The news media pushes narratives and people buy into them. You tell yourself stories before you go to bed at night, following a narrative you've constructed. You plan your life/set goals in sequence of a events, a narrative for you to believe in. The narrative can give meaning and purpose. We all need it, otherwise we end up blowing our brains out from the pointlessness of it all. Some believe in the narrative of religion. What narratives do you believe in I wonder?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.