[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Speech be an Act of Violence?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: Thinking-Man-Rodin.jpg (59KB, 729x463px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking-Man-Rodin.jpg
59KB, 729x463px
Alright /pol/, it's time for a philosophical discussion. This train of thought was sparked by the recent verdict of Michelle Carter, who was found guilty of manslaughter as a result of texts that encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself. This verdict surprised many lawyers and does not have any legal precedence as far as I am aware of. A lot of you clearly agree with this verdict, yet this kind of argument, that "speech is a form of violence" is commonly used among the left. With that being said, I have some questions for you:

>Are words that encourage others to commit acts of violence a form of violence in and of themselves? Or does the onus of responsibility ultimately and solely rely on the person who commited the physical act of violence?

>At what point do words go beyond free speech and become an act of violence?

>If verbal bullying leads say, a gay or transgender kid to commit suicide, were the words exchanged by the bully an act of violence?

>If speech leads to a government passing policies that directly or indirectly harm or kill specific groups of people, is said speech an act of violence?
>>
>>130212525
I dont think speech is violence, but telling someone who is very unstable and is thinking of ending themselves to actually do it does deserve some form of punishment, considering the fact that she was purposefully trying to get him to kill himself and not using it as a figure of speech.
>>
>>130212717
>I dont think speech is violence
Ok, let me give you a more extreme example. If a political leader tells his adherents to go commit suicide evem though he himself won't blow himself up, is that violence? If not, then the whole notion of "violent ideologies" is basically invalid. Violence can only be applied to actions themselves, not the words or ideas where they may derive from.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.