[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should Judges Be Permitted to Reject Gay Marriages?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

2 Examples:

http://kuow.org/post/oregon-supreme-court-hears-case-against-judge-who-refused-same-sex-marriages

Judge Vance Day made headlines in 2015 when his refusal to perform same-sex weddings surfaced.

During the course of its investigation, the Judicial Fitness Commission said it found a number of other issues and policy violations, including Day intimidating a college soccer referee at a game in 2013 and instructing his employees to tell same-sex couples he was unavailable to perform marriages, regardless of whether that was the case.

On Wednesday, before the Oregon's highest court, his attorney made a case for why Day should remain a judge.

The state’s Judicial Fitness Commission has recommended Day be removed from the bench. During Wednesday's hearing in Salem, the attorney for the commission continued to press, arguing Day should be removed.

Day is not currently hearing cases but remains on the bench.

It’s ultimately up to the Supreme Court to decide what, if any, disciplinary action to take.

“Our belief is he’s being targeted for his Christian beliefs,” said Ralph Spooner, one of Day’s attorneys.

One of the biggest issues with respect to this case is that Day ordered his staff to screen marriage license applicants to determine whether they were same-sex couples. According to the commission, Day didn’t want to marry same-sex couples because of his religious beliefs. Ultimately, the judge decided he wouldn’t marry anyone, regardless of who it was.

Part of what the Oregon Supreme Court could be deciding is whether marriage amounts to an official judicial duty. The attorney for the Judicial Fitness Commission argued it is, but Day’s attorney argued to the justices it was not.
>>
>>130007408
Judge W. Mitchell Nance sent the order Thursday to all lawyers who practice in his two counties, warning them of his decision — which goes against the state’s adoption laws.

Nance wrote that, “as a matter of conscious,” he thinks that “under no circumstance” could the “best interest of the child be promoted by the adoption by a practicing homosexual.” He said he will no longer hear adoption cases involving “homosexual parties.”

Speaking to the Courier Journal, Nance stood by his order, despite admitting that he didn’t know any gay adoptive parents and hadn’t seen any research to back up his bigoted beliefs.

“I stand behind the law I have cited, the matter of conscience I addressed and the decision I have made,” Nance said.

The judge, who sits in Barren and Metcalfe counties, justified his prejudice by citing an ethics rule allowing judges to disqualify themselves from cases in which they have a personal bias.

The experts, who noted that Nance is strongly religious and opposed to divorce, also suggested that he will likely have to recuse himself from any litigation involving gay people.

Nance has given no indication that he will step down. He was reelected without opposition in 2014 to an eight-year term, set to end in 2023.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kentucky-family-court-judge-refuses-hear-gay-adoption-cases-article-1.3120016
>>
>>130007408
bump
>>
File: E08BqUWp.gif (12KB, 623x622px) Image search: [Google]
E08BqUWp.gif
12KB, 623x622px
>>130007408
YES

the faggot is the incarnation of all that is against God and his kingdom, thank god people are waking up to you sick mother fuckers
>>
>>130007408
If Muslims can refuse same sex marriage then so too can Christians and anyone else where they are majority representation of the governing state.
>>
>>130008832
Legally speaking, Muslims are not magically exempt from any laws Christians are held to in the United States.
>>
>>130007408
Faggots should be hung in the lamp posts
>>
>>130007408
who fucking cares about marriage in 2017? LOL
>>
>>130007408
bump
>>
>>130007408
I like how liberals can use thier judges to pick and choose which laws they follow. Interesting how that happens.
>>
>>130009044
Yes, they are. They are not forced to perform gay marriage and they even successfully sued Budweiser because one of thier employees didn't want handle alcohol. Muslims are a privileged class in Dem states.
>>
>>130014189
Laws must be held to be facially neutral in terms of religion though. I am not saying enforcement is always spot on. Reminder: 0 Christian clergy have ever been forced to perform a gay marriage.
>>
>>130014268
>Reminder: 0 Christian clergy have ever been forced to perform a gay marriage.
This is just a flat out lie
>>
>>130014268
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/20/city-threatens-to-arrest-ministers-who-refuse-to-perform-same-sex-weddings.amp.html
>>
>>130014349
Look it up. It has never happened.

>>130014464
>threatens

Well they didn't.
>>
>>130014464
>https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/20/city-threatens-to-arrest-ministers-who-refuse-to-perform-same-sex-weddings.amp.html

That is not an issue of clergy being asked to perform same-sex marriages (has never happened). That is an issue of Christians refusing to obey local and state anti-discrimination ordinances and getting (rightfully) BTFO by the courts for unlawful behavior. Neither of them are clergy and they run a business open to the public. If you want to discriminate against gays your business must not be public accommodation (churches are not) and hence they can discriminate.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gay-catholic-school-teacher-fired-married/story?id=21141075

Catholic schools and churches have historically often fired employees for being gay and that has almost always to my knowledge been upheld recently by the courts. There are a ton of recent examples of gay employees being fired by Churches and courts have never stood in their way.
>>
>>130014832
so? being gay isn't normal anyway. im still waiting for pedos to be accepted
>>
>>130014832
>implying it's okay because they're not actual clergy
So do you think Sessions should shut down all marijuana dispensaries in Colorado? I just want to know exactly what level of leftist hypocrisy I'm dealing with here.
>>
>>130014926
appeal to nature fallacy

>>130015113
State laws should be upheld, whether relating to medical marijuana or LGBT discrimination.
>>
File: 1488484161711.jpg (78KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1488484161711.jpg
78KB, 625x626px
>>130015277
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.