[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Objectivism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4744.jpg (102KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4744.jpg
102KB, 300x450px
Im really interested in the objectivism philosophy, i heard it's a big influence on American conservatives. But im trying to learn and it's all a bit complicated for me. Can someone dull it down so i may better understand?
>>
>>129148169
In The Fountainhead a character is homeless and down on his luck and striving to make it in the world.

A passerby walks by and pities him, tossing a nickel in his lap.

The character is furious at the idea of another taking pity on him, calling him so weak that he needs that nickel.

He pulls a dime out of his pocket and throws it back at the passerby in defiance.

In short, work for what you have and don't rely on others unless you're forced to. To be able to provide for yourself in excess is to be able to share with others, provided they'll accept.
>>
>>129149085
So it's an independent strive to work for yourself, while also helping others? Putting the main focus on oneself, but (given they consent) making an effort to help those around you?
>>
>>129149311
Essentially. Be it selling things to others or straight up charity. Find what you love or what you're good at and strive to be as good as you can with it. Share your success with others for profit or goodwill or both.
>>
>>129149654
How has this influenced American conservatives?
>>
>>129148169
Selfishness is good. It motivates people to create and surpass themselves, and results in "exultation." She likes that word.

Altruism is often misguided and results in the cultural equivalent of exchanging unwanted Christmas gifts.

Not that people shouldn't help each other ever. But don't sacrifice yourself to the collective.
>>
>>129148169

I'm a libertarian who was a Philosophy major (I know anon... waste of time)

Rand is philosophy for dumbfucks, or at least, people who looooove Objectivism are generally people who have read little else, often econ/finance majors.

my advice fwiw for you to make up your own mind: research Objectivist aesthetics.

In short, it basically is a worldview that doesnt allow for consciousness... because consciousness is not 'objective'. It demands the universe be the simple, and perception unquestionably reliable.

It's really a black pill wrapped in red.

Stirner is like a smarter more extreme Rand... and he shows how extreme egoism leads to a kind of lazy sociopathic solipsism
>>
>>129150134
It's a logical counter to the welfare movement in the 60's.
>>
>>129148169
It's gay Jewish bullshit invented by an amphetamine addicted Jewess motivated by an ethnic hatred for Russians.
>>
>>129150227
So it's finding the balance between selfishness and altruism?
>>
>>129150279
Can you nutshell Stirner for me?
>>
>>129148169

Rand basically rips off Aristotle and libertarians in a narcissistic attempt to let Nietzsche out of her subconscious. For all her attempts to be objective, she shoots herself in the foot. There are better philosophers, like Roderick Long:

http://praxeology.net/wiggy-draft.pdf
http://praxeology.net/wiggy-draft.pdf
>>
>>129151084
>Can you nutshell Stirner for me?

self-absorbed asshole
>>
>>129151517
Why's that?
>>
File: cfpSHRH[1].jpg (70KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cfpSHRH[1].jpg
70KB, 600x600px
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.