[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTION TIME

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: hqdefault (5).jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (5).jpg
39KB, 480x360px
Which of these four virtues is most important?

Which one do you lack in the most?

Which one do you feel you best exemplify?
>>
>>128960022
>Which of these four virtues is most important?
Prudence, as it gives you the wisdom to know when and how to use the other 3.

>>128960022
>Which one do you lack in the most?
Temperance. I'm a fat shit.

>>128960022
>Which one do you feel you best exemplify?
I exemplify justice to an extreme fault.
I feel some fucked up compulsion to always play devil's advocate against anybody to keep the pendulum swinging.
This gets me in trouble when I end up defending people who don't deserve to be defended.
>>
The only good virtue is ruthlessness
>>
>>128960719
>Temperance. I'm a fat shit.
same
>>
>>128960022
1.Fortitude.
2.Temperance, I lack self-discipline. Which is why I'm awake at this hour.
3.I'd say I'm rather prudent.
>>
>>128960022
Where is the 'Overwhelmong Firepower'?
>>
>>128960022
Retard here
What are these 4 virtues and why are they commonly grouped together?
>>
>>128960022
Bumping
>>
File: images (1) (1)-1.jpg (6KB, 69x69px) Image search: [Google]
images (1) (1)-1.jpg
6KB, 69x69px
>>128960022
Prudence
Prudence
>Which one do you feel you best exemplify
Fortitude
Why do you ask OP?
>>
>>128960022

Where the fuck is courage? The King of Virtues. Without courage, no other virtue is possible.
>>
>>128962192
They're the cardinal virtues you aboriginal ape. I believe it was Plato who started the meme.
>>
>>128962192
I believe it comes from Aristotle
>>
>>128962512
fortitude can be synonymous with courage
>>
>>128962526
I would agree but these are Aristotle's take on the virtues, no?
>>
>>128962512
Fortitude is courage
>>
>>128960022
Justice, it is the only virtue that guides all others. Otherwise you are flailing at shadows.
>>
>>128962692
Everyone since Plato has used the same four virtues so yeah.
>>
>>128960022
Justice is clearly leagues more important than all the other virtues. It is really no contest.

On the question of which do we lack the most, I would say temperance, but then I would also claim that lacking temperance is a good thing.
>>
>>128962994
>lacking temperance is a good thing.
explain
>>
>>128963245
I was wrong on the definition of the word. I now disagree that it is a good thing.
>>
>>128962526
>>128962692
This is true, but the cardinal virtues were also discussed by Thomas Aquinas, which is probably how they became such a huge part of christianity.

He also added Faith, Hope, and Charity, as described by Paul
>>
>>128960022
No one of these particular virtues are more important than any other. As cardinal virtues, they fall under a category described by Aristotle.

The cardinal virtues admit to no excess or defect. There is no such thing as too much or too little justice, temperance, etc.

Moreover, these virtues are interrelated and are always found together per Aquinas. A person cannot be prudent without also being just, etc. etc.
>>
>>128962604
>>128962722

They are not the same. Fortitude is the ability to persevere. Courage is the will to fight. One can be courageous and lack fortitude. One can have much fortitude, but be timid.
>>
Prudence is the most important virtue since the habit helps you discern the other virtues. Its called the mother of all virtues for a reason
>>
If you're lacking self discipline then you are lacking in fortitude. Fortitude has to do with the will
>>
Depends on the circumstances. If you are building a tribe or a civilization you can't really put all of them to use at once. It almost seems like they follow the anacyclosis model where each virtue seems more prevalent in a specific political system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacyclosis
>>
>>128960022
>most important
Temperance and Fortitude evenly

>which do you lack
Temperance and Fortitude evenly

>which do i exemplify
Justice. I'm all about right and wrong and proper morals.
>>
The 4 "virtues" aka "good things" are self-control, courage, a sense of wonder, and a sense of humor.
>>
File: hb_12_233.jpg (178KB, 1512x1500px) Image search: [Google]
hb_12_233.jpg
178KB, 1512x1500px
You all are fucking stupid.
If life is a journey and the virtues help you through it, Justice is the most important.

Temperance
>I want to control my actions

Prudence
>I want to know when to act

Fortitude
>I want to act decisively and through difficulty

Justice
>How should I act?

Fucking retards
>>
>>128960719
>always play devil's advocate
Devil's advocate is a role used by the church in private to distill the essence of their argument before taking it public.

If you're doing this shit in the public space, you're nothing but a fucking jewed out deceiver and a slave.

Watch yourself or you'll be stoned or hung.
>>
>>128960719
In fact, you're a fat shit and embody the complete opposite of justice. A broken and bluepilled man.
>>
>>128967963
You're a fool
>>
>>128968677
And here we see clown prince deceiver. Representative of a cuck nation who is actually debating in what way to compromise their vote instead of boldly choosing UKIP.

I have nothing but contempt for you right now, so if that's a proxy, you'd better change it.
>>
>>128968892
I have never seen a post more full of false statements.
>>
>>128968978
Youre a fucking loser. I will take great delight when you follow the path Americans did when faced with Romney and Obama.

It's better because your country going to piss away your voice in a time when you need it most. You're literally going to pretend to be this way or that way for the torries or labor to save you. Total voiceless cucks.

You're scared.
>>
>>128969174
stop embarassing yourself
>>
>>128969328
Defend yourself you fucking shameless animal.
>>
>>128969664
from a drunken oaf parading outside my window?
why?
>>
You're a cuck. A whole nation of cucks who have done nothing but discuss ways to compromise their integrity ALL DAY on /pol/

ALL BECAUSE YOU'RE AFRAID UKIP can't win.

PATHETIC!
>>
>>128969883
you didn't even reply this time
you're repeating the same nonsense

sober up you dumbass
>>
>>128960022
Free Siri free Tay, Data bastards!!!!

(Protip: y'all being analyzed here)
>>
>>128960022
Fortitude, persistence and steadfast duty to accomplish anything.
Temperance
>Which one do you feel you best exemplify?
Prudence, always self-conscious to how I appear to others.
>>
>>128960022
Fortitude.
Temperance.
Prudence.

Without fortitude we would have nothing. This world was not a given to us, we created it ourselves. Without the courage and determination to press on through hardships we would still be living in mud huts.
>>
Fucking fat British fucks. Your pride will be completely squashed soon and the whole world will see it clearly. BRITONS ARE MIND CONTROLLED SLAVES.
>>
>>128960022

Fortitude.
Fortitude.
Prudence.
>>
Fortitude. Without it the rest are lost.
>>
File: Cheers from Russia.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Cheers from Russia.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
Justice, without it there would not be any reason for the others to exist.
>>
Justice is most important because it keeps everything else in check, Temperance I lack, Fortitude I best exemplify (not by a great deal, though). Prudence is nice but lacking deeply in any of the others makes it basically worthless (i.e. knowing the right path but not having the balls to walk it).

>>128964552
The Latin is Fortitudo which does actually mean both of those things. Remember these are the Cardinal Virtues, not just the words as defined by the English language, but there's no appropriate translation so this is what we've got.
>>
File: Nicomachean Ethics Table.jpg (120KB, 733x709px) Image search: [Google]
Nicomachean Ethics Table.jpg
120KB, 733x709px
Relevant
>>
>>128960022

Prudence is the most important, without it the others will run to madness. I personify none of them, I am almost entirely lacking in virtue of any kind.
>>
>>128960022
Fortitude to resist the coming collapse, Justice and temperance to build a good non-degenerate society, and prudence to avoid second collapse.
>>
File: temple of kek.png (473KB, 1280x659px) Image search: [Google]
temple of kek.png
473KB, 1280x659px
>>128960022
Temperance will take care of the rest
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.