[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there really this many Irish speakers?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Irish speakers in 2011.jpg (4MB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
Irish speakers in 2011.jpg
4MB, 10000x10000px
If so, well done on reviving a dead language to try to justify your existence as a seperate nation.
>>
>>128645294
I'm pretty sure it was never dead in the Republic of Ireland territory even when they were part of the Empire.
>>
>>128645294
All Celtic languages are undergoing a major revival. Even Welsh despite it being popular already is predicted to reach 1 million speakers by 2050.
>>
>Irish speakers
You mean Celtic?
>>
>>128645294
Some Irishman once told me that they now teach it to school children early on
>>
File: victory.jpg (40KB, 552x377px) Image search: [Google]
victory.jpg
40KB, 552x377px
if you like that your going to love what happens next op
>>
>>128645294
>>128646326
now I'm definitely an idiot, but ain't it Gaelic?
>>
>>128645294

Ha, Lord no.

Fuck all people can speak Gaeilge in an every day capacity. The language is dying on its knees. English is our first language and always will be.

I left secondary school speaking fluent French and German but with a primary level of Irish/Gaeilge.

The only reason I bothered learning to speak Irish properly was so that I could talk shit with my wife on the tube without people being able to understand. Although sadly these days I may as well speak English and have the same effect with the demographics.
>>
>>128645294

I've even heard irish language spoken in australia by a mother to her child.
>>
>>128647048
We call it Irish in English or gaeilge in Irish
>>
You learn Irish from when you're a little (5 or 6) In Primary school.

Then at second level (13-18) It becomes incredibly academic, and the 'teaching' becomes about learning off essays to write down from memory in the exam. This puts people off the language (at least in my experience) because it's not fun and it isn't a worthwhile language to know.

The only reason Irish is still mandatory up to second level (unless you have an exemption or are a foreign student not born in Ireland) is because people 'fought and died' for the right to speak it. Honestly Nationalism is such a fucking joke in Ireland; we're the number 1 globalised country in the world (not like we have a choice, we're too small and retarded to stand by ourselves), and 'Irish culture' is just some green coloured trash stuck together and marketed to attract tourists.

IMO it will probably become optional at second level in the next 10-15 years. Or maybe it won't, the Irish government doesn't actually do fucking anything, it's just a conduit to install whatever regulations the EU want's to try out, but I mean we're a shitty little country that's like a tumour on Europe, the only reason we're any way relevant is because of the 12.5% corp tax.

Anyway to answer your question fuck no, other than the West (which is backwards and worth a discussion in and of itself) people don't really speak Irish in any capacity, let alone in general conversation. This was most likely a survey of 'Did you go to school?' followed by 'Cad is ainm duit?' and if they replied 'is mise anon' they were considered to speak Irish

Fuck I hate my country
>>
>>128647048
It's both.

Celtic = Gaelic & Brythonic

Gaelic = Irish, Scottish, Manx

Brythonic = Welsh, Cornish, Breton.

Celtic refers to all languages, Gaelic just refers to the Goidelic ones of Ireland, Scotland and Isle of Man.
>>
>>128645294
Its outdated now ireland has more non irish in the country
>>128646128
It was but it was causing education problems for children and 1 million speakers is hopeless romanticism its will be declining on the next census

>lived in welsh wales
>>
So is Irish like prairienigger speak?
>>
>>128646359
Same thing with Welsh in Wales and to a lesser degree with Gaelic in Scotland (they actually teach it in places it was historically never spoken in Scotland which is odd also)
>>
>>128647468
taigs out
>>
>>128647993
declining? Welsh primary schools in Wales are in much higher demand than English ones. There was an English school in Carmarthenshire that switched to Welsh just to meet the high demand in the county.
>>
>>128647765
Yeah, I visited Dublin, Limerick and Cork last year. Only heard gaelic on the TV. Still couldn't understand you drunk bastards very much.

Very beautiful place.
>>
>>128647284
>I left secondary school speaking fluent French and German
Hätten wir das Auswärtstrikot in grün halten sollen?
>>
>>128645294
those aren't Irish "speakers" except the ones in Donegal and the Gaelteachts, they're people who can say shit like an bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithris más é do thoil é
the government does nothing for the language because we have centrist globalists in power who have no use for it or nationalism
Irish is going to be dead within this century
>>
>>128647993
>1 million speakers is hopeless romanticism its will be declining on the next census

This. Even in Gwynedd the youth who goes up in Welsh speaking homes don't speak it amongst themselves even if they're all native Welsh speakers. It's mostly either Wenglish (a creole of sorts between English and Welsh) or more often English the young choose to use and will continue to use.
>>
>>128649021
*who grow up
>>
File: Selection_770.jpg (74KB, 594x665px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_770.jpg
74KB, 594x665px
>>128645294
>Are there really this many Irish speakers?
>If so, well done on reviving a dead language to try to justify your existence as a seperate nation.
ok anglo
https://twitter.com/krsnavatara/status/854495590042005504
>>
>>128648827
>Hätten wir das Auswärtstrikot in grün halten sollen?

My comprehension of written German is pretty rusty since its been about 12 years since I finished school.

However if you are saying what I think you, yes I think you should have kept it. It was a nice gesture to recognise one of the few countries that was friendly with Germany in the post-war years.
>>
>>128650270
>It was a nice gesture to recognise one of the few countries that was friendly with Germany in the post-war years.
I think so too. But the Nationalmannschaft is just about 2/3rds German now anyway, so you're not missing much.

>>128648951
But that's not true. Everytime I see some report about Irish politics the Sinn Fein politicians try to get some part of Gaelic language into the report. They obviously do care.
>>
>>128651368

>2/3rds German

I'd say thats being optimistic at that.

Although in fairness it won't take us long to catch up with you. We've got three blacks in our national squad now. I wouldn't mind if they were actually good...
>>
My auntie is a headteacher at a school in mayo and everything gets taught in Gaelic. The entire school speaks it as if it is their first language.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.