[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson actually line up closely

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Interesting to me that Jordan Peterson criticises Sam Harris for proposing that we can build a morality system from science.

I listened to Jordan Peterson's first lecture on maps of meaning and there's a moment his thought pattern goes like this:

>Pain is real, we can't deny that
>If the pain is real, maybe we should avoid causing it unnecessarily.
>And maybe we can take that a step further and actually reduce the pain in the world.

It just dawned on me that this is almost the EXACT same argument Sam Harris makes. I haven't watched him in a while, but if memory serves it goes:

>I think we can all agree that the worst possible misery for everyone is bad.
>Therefore it follows that reducing this misery is good.
>How to reduce it may be achievable in a variety of ways, but the fact remains there are truths to be discovered here.

It makes me think that Jordan Peterson hasn't actually read Sam's moral landscape and just criticised him from a distance.
>>
>>128514361
>"People in pain should just stop feeling pain!"
wow omg why hadn't I thought of that.
>>
>>128514613
I agree that this line of thinking seems very... "Well duh." But, I haven't actually met many people who could articulate so simply what a good foundation for morality is. In fact, many college liberals believe you can't even judge.
>>
>>128514613
just so you know reductio ad absurdum is a fallacy

>>128514361
listen to Sam's podcast episodes with Jordan (the second part, the first one is redundant and not that interesting)
you'll get a good idea of Jordan's position when he talks about Nietzsche
basically he believes that because we have failed to bring about the Ubermensch, that a return to religion is necessary to bring back morality (rough summary here listen to the convo)
while Sam's position is more of a "Ubermensch" approach (without religion)
that's their main disagreement
>>
File: redpill book list.jpg (3MB, 2530x2291px) Image search: [Google]
redpill book list.jpg
3MB, 2530x2291px
>>128514361

NEVER THE JEWS!

HITLER WAS A MONSTER!

BUY MY BOOKS!

CLEAN YOUR ROOM TRANNIES!

EMBRACE CATHOLICISM!

I WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT BRAINWASHING KIDS!
>>
>>128515689
>Never the jews
You can't live your whole life browbeating the jews as a scapegoat.
>Hitler was a monster
Every leader of a nation was, Peterson actually talks more about the red armies brutality and failure of communism.
>Buy my books
Never even said that, he just promotes books from Jung, nietzsche, solzhenitsyn etc.
>Clean your room
Fucking clean it then you larping smelly fuck.
>Embrace catholicism
Yes? What you think Athiesm or Paganism is any better? Cease to exist.
>>
>>128515565
Ya know in a way I agree with Jordan here. I don't think you need religion per se, but we probably do need stories.

A long time ago someone else was on Sam's podcast that made a similar argument. He told Sam "You're obviously a very smart guy, but you are delusional if you think you're going to make an impact on the average Joe with your style of argument."

You gotta make things easy to internalise somehow. Maybe this is why liberals have such a hold on the populace with their outdated ideas. All the damn movies and books and video games are stories centred around their narrative. Art is important to digest complexity.
>>
I'm just about done with his final lecture in the Personality 2017 series and my god, this is his best year of the lecture series yet. This video alone is incredibly empowering. I haven't checked out this year's Maps of Meaning, I'll probably watch it over a weekend, but man. I think JBP really gained from blowing up with the SJWs. Just incredible.
>>
>>128518809
I really like him. Something about the guy just screams "good person." A total joy to listen to.
>>
>>128515689
thats such a stupid fucking cluster fuck of im trying to be pseudo-intellectual, while remaining redpilled and edgy. Try fucking harder fag. You have animal farm on there but not 1984 or all art is properganda. and you have mien kamf right after beyond good and evil. the logic in those books is the complete opposite to one another. then youve got anarchists cookbook, for muh edge. and even art of the deal for trump fags. try harder. your not redpilled your fucking gay
>>
File: jews.jpg (116KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
jews.jpg
116KB, 800x600px
peterson
>postmodernism is bad
>freud and psychoanalysis is good
>freud is ground zero for jewish postmodernism
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.