[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can an anon help me understand regression to the mean better?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1496388697834.jpg (71KB, 501x386px) Image search: [Google]
1496388697834.jpg
71KB, 501x386px
Can an anon help me understand regression to the mean better? I googled a bunch of stuff but it's mostly just "standard deviations" and graphs with not much information provided that explains the results.

So far I get the idea that if two very high IQ parents of the same race have a child then that child's iq will be lower and be not too far off from the mean of the race. Likewise, low IQ parents will have a higher IQ child slightly closer to the mean of the race.

But I can't find elaborate enough results for the children of mixed race parents. Or rather, how much of their IQ is heredetary as opposed to regressive. For example, what if one parent has a very high IQ while one has a very low? What if it's the black parent who is very intelligent while the white parent is below average? Or does none of it matter and nearly all mixed race children just average out at like 90-95 IQ?
>>
>>128478671
no
>>
>>128478671
Bring back any answers you may find while researching this. I'm interested.
>>
two taller than average people will not have an even taller child, the childs height will regress towards the mean.
immigrants have traditionally been the best and brightest who want a better life in the West - their children, however regress toward the mean IQ of their race.
spics in America are a good example - generally the parents are hard working and the children are useless wastes of flesh.
>>
>>128481125
I get that, but if there parents are of different race, what height does the child regress to? The average of the father's race? The average of the mother's race? The average of the two races combined?
>>
>>128478671
>if two very high IQ parents of the same race have a child then that child's iq will be lower and be not too far off from the mean of the race
The expected value will be lower than that of his/her parents, but the child still _might_ have a higher IQ. It's still best to consider this as a Gaußian generating process.
>>
File: pearsonx.gif (13KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
pearsonx.gif
13KB, 576x384px
>>128481125
>>128482039
This graph is based on father's height, doesn't take the mother's into account. Don't fall for this bullshit, traits are hereditary. You look like your parents, not like every other person your age. The average doesn't affect you unless your parents are the average.
>>
>>128482039
It is fairly well-known that the IQ of a child will be the average of its parents, so in case of a mixed race child, it can only regress towards the lower of the two IQs. Things rarely *regress* to a higher state, after all.

Height? Dunno, never researched that. But it could work in a similar fashion, given that both the brain and the rest of the body were subjects to evolution.
>>
>>128482039
All traits inherited from both father and mother tend to be the mean of those two traits. A wholphin is a hybrid between a bottlenose dolphin and a false killer whale. Bottlenose dolphins have 88 teeth, false killer whale have 44 teeth, so the wholphins tends to have 66 teeth.

You're better off asking /sci/ this, regression to the mean is just a statistical phenomena.
>>
>>128478671
It would work in exactly the same way between races as within races. adult iq is around 2/3-3/4 genetic. It depends exactly what traits you're looking at but essentially just take an average of the two parents and create a new gaussian based on it. I'd guess mixed race might be less likely to experience some extreme forms of mental retardation due to being less likely to share deleterious mutations, but generally the same.
>>
>>128481125
you've significantly misunderstood this subject.
>>
>>128488228
I don't think he did. The idea is that it doesnt really matter how high the parent's IQ is. I've even read that the more extreme the IQ, the greater the effect of the regression. Like sure there is still inheritance from the parents as individuals, but it seems that a great deal of IQ is simply determined by race.
>>
>>128478671
A lot of it also has to do with nurturement of the child as a factor. Obviously, having a black father and a white mother in a shitty environment will make an equally shitty kid, but in a better environment, they may do better, but not as good as the white kids. Taking the graph in >>128484607 for example, the child's height is dependent on genes and then if the child is nourished enough. Both parents could be 7 feet tall, but it won't matter much if they starve the child. Look at Japan within the last generations between WWII and modern day - the children are far taller than their grandparents because their grandparents were starved during that era.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.