[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Seneca

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: seneca-w-text.jpg (172KB, 550x549px) Image search: [Google]
seneca-w-text.jpg
172KB, 550x549px
Is this guy a good read?
>>
>>128162984
lf he weren't, then people wouldn't still be reading him
>>
Yes. One of the best.
>>
Hey, he looks kind of familiar...
>>
>>128162984
Ive read "letters from a stoic". Good book. Seneca was the richest man in Rome at one point. Tutored Nero (the crazy one). Involved in a plot to overthrow Nero once he became emperor and started doing crazy shit. Seneca was forced to commit suicide. Supposedly his last words were (to his family who were being lead away so he could kill himself): "Why cry over parts of life, when the whole of it calls for tears?"
>>
File: 1496425530633.jpg (180KB, 550x549px) Image search: [Google]
1496425530633.jpg
180KB, 550x549px
>>128164723
anyone in particular come to mind?
>>
>>128162984

Big round of applause for based Seneca. I love the stoics. They made the black pill classy.
>>
>>128165633
I wouldn't consider them black pill. Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations" helped with my depression alot. I read it whenever I get down.
>>
>>128165633

Stoicism is like the antidote to the blackpill, if gives you the means to retreat inside yourself and come to terms with the modern world.
>>
>>128165955

Insofar as their rejection of false positivity, I mean. And it's classy in the sense that it helps bros transcend frenzied nihilism and despair and find a happy/calm medium in the acceptance of inevitable suffering. And to do so with dignity achieved through wisdom and a sober analysis of experience. I love Meditations, man! Great stuff. I also read it whenever I'm feeling down. Cheers!
>>
File: stoic Seneca greatness.png (474KB, 1000x512px) Image search: [Google]
stoic Seneca greatness.png
474KB, 1000x512px
>>128162984
He's not perfect but he was great.

Also Jews stole his golden rule and put it in their myth of Jesus Christ's mouth.
>>
>>128162984
Yeah, he said that slaves are worthy of sympathy and should be treated well because it's only a matter of circumstance that they should be the slave, and you the master. The prevailing opinion of the time was that slaves deserved their fate because no free-spirited man would submit to slavery (kind of a circular argument).
>>
>>128166492

Exactly. It's what I recommend to anybody drawn to the black pill. It's an infinitely superior path, scratching many of the same itches addressed by the black pill. The black pill is lazier, angrier, and fails to present any solutions. It laments the symptoms of anguish without providing a means of self improvement.
>>
>>128166661
Well put friend! Stoic philosophy should be taught in schools. It would have helped me out alot if I had read their stuff when I was younger. Mandatory reading for my kids when I have them.
>>
>>128167378
Also in letters to a stoic he talks about how a good master's slave will never rebel against him or betray him, but a bad master's slaves look for opportunity to do so.
>>
>>128167606

I couldn't agree more, buddy. I certainly never learned anything about the stoics in school. Neither Roman nor Greek philosophy was investigated beyond the most cursory touch. Even in university. It was only through self tutelage and online research that I was able to seek out the original books. Your eventual kids will be off to a terrific start in life they're raised to appreciate these masterpiece works of ancient western insight!
>>
>>128166661
>>128165955
>>128162984

same stoics help me everyday live a good life. Have to keep it secret though. I've been accused of being a book.
>>
>>128162984
>wept like a bitch when he wife died

Stoicism is a meme
>>
>>128169951

What? His wife cut her wrists along with him but Nero ordered she be saved
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.