[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Wind Turbines

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 16

File: 1494616844438.jpg (149KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
1494616844438.jpg
149KB, 1200x803px
Should more be set up across the country to generate renewable energy,or do they cause more problems than they solve?
>>
They look kill and kill birds. How you feel about birds may affect your feelings on wind power.
>>
>>128107579

strip mining for rare-earth metals and having very little to no good ideas on how to recycle them. Oil/gas is easy to extract. Mines however...
>>
>>128107579
They disrupt migratory patterns for birds. They kill a shitton of birds. And the also might cause atmospheric disruptions, resulting in abnormal local microclimates
>>
>>128108772
I think the maintenance and repairs are rather expensive as well.
>>
>>128107579
My dad bought one in Northern California for the tax break. It was broken down more than it was up and running, and made very little electricity. He finally dumped it around 2000 when the tax break was done away with.

When my sister started dating my brother in law, he was an electrician who worked on them - including the farm my dad's was in. He said most of them were poorly made, and he had job security from fixing them. He said some were made so poorly, they never ran. He also said that there were piles of dead birds around the running ones, but they weren't allowed to talk about it or take pictures.

They were kind of /comfy/ to see, driving up from LA - once you saw them, you knew you were close to the Bay.

But, they were a bad idea - too much work, too little power.
>>
Here's a pretty unbiased source for turbines

>Can't archive it easily from my phone so here is a direct link

http://energyinformative.org/wind-energy-pros-and-cons/

Microclimate disturbances aside, wind works pretty well to subsidize power grids, but they cost a lot to maintain and operate. Wind is also extremely unpredictable. It works best as supplementary power, not a prime source
>>
>>128107579
>dont work if their isn't enough wind
>break when theirs too much wind
>spend 75% of the time switched off
>costs more to put them up and the expenses in maintain them than received energy
>>
>>128107579
Any energy production that isn't nuclear is shit and no where near "sustainable". Nuclear power is the only vianle long term energy source. There's no reason to discuss any other power source when we have the safest cleanest cheapest most efficient one already.
>>
>>128107579
We are far beyond the point of it mattering any more.
>>
>>128107579
They're ugly as fuck, I don't like them. Only greentards go "wow modern and eco :DDDD"
>>
>>128107579
Even in optimal and impossible scenarios, they are pointless, and get rated at maximum efficiency output but then they

>Can't be operated at wind speeds too low
>Or too high
>Output is unstable and constantly fluctuates wildly
>This leads to a situation where fueled stations must be sped up and down and also rapidly spike "baseline" power, outputting more CO2 and pollution than equivalent steady generation (incomplete combustion, low efficiency during transitional generation e.g. cold start up and shut down)
>Cannot be placed in repeatable formations because the strength of the wind in the wake of one is lowered behind it even more than what is taken out
>Best places to place them are geographically unsuitable for massive infrastructure; tops of hills, mountains, middles of forests, all requiring massive expense and further ecological damage
>Without massive energy subsidies, they will never give a return on investment
>In terms of total energy cost, they won't ever give a return on investment there either

There's also greater meteorological concerns beyond killing birds/bats/disrupting migration too; there is only so much energy in the wind.
We already see
>Lowered air speeds in the wake of windmills
>Lowered rainfall also
>Localised disruption of weather patterns

Worst case?
Take out too much energy in the lower levels of the atmosphere and you could permanently affect the upper atmosphere, jet-streams and global weather systems. Inevitably, you will force faster and more damaging climate changes than CO2 could ever achieve.
>>
Retarded pol is retarded when it comes to ecological matters. I would look for answers elsewhere..
>>
>they're fucking useless...try to get them banned in emu land.
>>
File: 6477416641_f2467f02ef_o.jpg (69KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
6477416641_f2467f02ef_o.jpg
69KB, 600x460px
Kill birds
Explode
Ugly
>>
>>128109637
don't forget they kill birds. so much for saving the environment
>>
>>128109694

This is true
>>
File: strike.jpg (166KB, 1200x869px) Image search: [Google]
strike.jpg
166KB, 1200x869px
>>128108772
>>128107682

The world would be a better place without birds. Fuck birds.

source: united states air force aircraft maintenance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Alaska_Boeing_E-3_Sentry_accident
>>
The rare earth metals used in wind turbines are extremely radioactive. #3 most radioactive energy source behind #1 coal and #2 solar.
>>
Jim Norton hates Birds, so do O&A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnOPr-9h-cs
>>
They cost too much to maintain my town looked into them once
>>
>>128107579
>generate renewable energy,
Ha ha! It's not renewable! Once you use it, it's done. DONE! You will never use that electricity again.
>>
>>128110383
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtcRaDpayAU
>>
>>128109403
That too. Also, some of the big one use a diesel engine to get them turning.
>>
>>128107579

it costs more to build and maintain a single wind turbine, than it creates in power

its a liberal meme that turned on them

local solar is the only actually-good renewable energy, but the problems start when you try to network it due to the cost and mx of storage sites and boosters
>>
>>128109694
>safest source
>except in catastrophic melt down when they leave the area unlivible.
>also a terrorist threat
Don't talk about the good without talking about the bad anon
>>
>>128109802
Fucking this, I hate those fucking windmills and they are all over my homestate of Oklahoma

Fuck windmills
>>
Windmills break even in the power the consume to build one after about 50 years of operation.

Windmills fuck up birds.

Windmills waste a lot of space

Windmills are not something you live under, they ruin the ground under them.

Windmills tend to not even be viable to operate in high wind areas because they will spin too fast and break apart.

If you want a green source of power, you build a nuclear power plant. When taken care of, nothing bad happens to them. There are two cases of nuclear power plants getting fucked and ruining the area around them.

One of them was when an already shady communist power plant was being tested during low power limits for some reason. The safety features that did exist were turned off for shits and giggles.

The other was when a huge earthquake hit and fucked up some systems with in the plant, but that was okay, there were systems in place to counter that. However, a huge fucking wave hit and fucked up the back up systems.

Big Coal, big oil, and big Green all have reasons to hate Nuclear power. It would put all of them out of business. (((They))) have every reason to make you hate Nuclear power.
>>
They kill burds
>>
can someone redpill me a bit on why they are some what effective in Denmark.
I was listening to radio and our politicians were talking about how great Denamrk is for their use of windmill power (the old what works in small Europe countries should work in Australia meme)
>>
>>128107579
They cost too much to build.
Too much to maintain.
Don't produce enough to justify their price.
They kill birds and fuck up wildlife. The strobing shadows like, traumatize them.
>>
>>128111089
Except those catastrophic events have happened twice, both when people were idiots.

Every Nuclear plant I have been to has an insane amount of security. Even completely decommissioned reactors they allow people to tour have guards.
>>
Why american are anrgy with some windmills and not by the thousands of fracking facilities ? Windmills can be removed if it's really not worth it, fracking sites destroyed the beautiful north america for ever.
>>
We fell for the turbine meme here in South Australia. The second there's a hot day the wind dies down and they stop fucking working and our entire power grid is thrown to shit.

Our Greenies stroke their egos over how 'clean' we are even though we fucking have to buy electricity from neighbouring Victoria just to reach base load, giving us some of the highest electricity prices in the Western world.
>>
wind turbines are expensive and loud (here in germany some had to be shut down because their sound caused provable harm to those living nearby).
As they work better at greater heights they are normally placed on top of hills or mountains, which usually means in the middle of the mountains forest. To get them there, you need broad and straight roads, so you have to cut down hundreds of trees for every turbine. While I haven't done the calculations on it, my gut feeling is that cutting down those trees heightens co2 increase more than using the wind turbines lowers it.

As they are very tall, they need deep fundaments, which require lots of concrete and sand (also for the access roads) - That sand is sourced in the sea, causing enviromental problems.

Other than that, most of the turbines today are shut down and replaced with bigger ones before they have even brought in the energy that was used to build them.

All in all, at least the way they are used now they aren't enviroment-friendly at all.
>>
File: windmill.jpg (257KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
windmill.jpg
257KB, 1200x1800px
>>128107579
Pic is the only good, clean, sustainable kind. But they don't produce much electricity, best used for milling and pumping water.

Those big OP ones are made from rare earth metals and fossil fuel dependant infrastructure, industrial processes, and supply lines - they are unsustainable. And they spin fast and kill birds, but less birds than are killed by coal plant pollution.
>>
>>128107579
Thorium liquid salt reactors are coming. They will destroy the renewable and non renewable economic model. Renewables are pushed by non renewable and current nuclear fuel producers because they are harmless to their economic models. They want to burn as much fossil fuels as possible before china gets their thorium reactors up and going with technology we practically handed them. Then it's game over. We shouldn't waste resources on expensive energy because of all the Chicken Little bullshit.
>>
File: green energy.jpg (187KB, 650x631px) Image search: [Google]
green energy.jpg
187KB, 650x631px
>>128109794
Do they really make a lot of noise? I heard living near them is like living next to an airport.
>>
>>128110118
problem is they do a pretty fucking good job at killing eagles.

What we need are more things like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

Rediculous efficiency compared to any other "green" power source, including commercial solar panels.
>>
File: Science.jpg (146KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Science.jpg
146KB, 1440x900px
>>128111901
My favorite part about the thorium reactors is they can be turned into breeder reactors that burn depleted uranium fuel. You eliminate nuclear waste issues, generate massive amounts of "low carbon" energy and are left with extremely high radiation waste that burns its self out in under a hundred years.
>>
>>128111901
i fukin knew it
even when it was that other thing i knew it was this thing
>>
Wind turbines that are in the ocean have been killing whales. Chopping them up into whale sushi
>>
>>128112055
On a windy day its quite audible. Irritating. They are also disorienting and distracting to drive near.
>>
File: energy cost.png (65KB, 1000x958px) Image search: [Google]
energy cost.png
65KB, 1000x958px
>>128112093
Works only in deserts.
Provides power only during the day, same as panels.
Provides different amounts of power depending on season and weather.
More expensive even than the panels.
>>128111901
But haven't you listened to the greens? Nuclear is very very evil. Muh Fukushima!
>>
>>128112276
They also terrify cows. Stress leads to poor meat/milk.
>>
>>128112333
I'm from the fucking desert, why we don't have more of them I have no fucking clue. I mean sure my electricity bills are already cheap as shit but why not make them cheaper.
>>
>>128112201
Sounds delicious.
>>128112651
But it would make them more expensive, since solar power is more expensive than alternatives.
>>
>>128112805
In the desert, the method I linked is the cheapeast. Nothing else comes close.
>>
>>128111089
>in catastrophic melt down
That doesnt happen with proper safety features.
>also a terrorist threat
So is a sports arena, what's your point?
>>
>>128107579
Not relevant to the discussion but I live 20 miles from that wind farm
>>
>>128107579
1: They're bird murder machines

2: If if ever been somewhere then come back sometime later to see a wind far there you'll recognize they are a blight on the landscape and they go on for miles.

3: The power they generate is very inconsistent there have been a lot of fatalities setting them up or when being serviced having them catch fire and burn the workers to death.

4: There are reports that the noise they make can slowly drive native humans and wild life insane over time.

It's more efficient and less of a blight to burn fucking natural gas or run a nuclear power plant that to use these bloody things.
>>
>>128107579

Ive driven past quite a few wind energy fields or whatever you call them, ive only seen once more than a couple out of many actually turning and usually very slow...doesnt seem very efficient, and ugly as sin.
>>
>LE KILL BIRDS MAYMAY LEL XD
unironically kill yourselves you fucking asstards
>>
>>128107579
>incredibly shitty at baseload grid power just like solar panels
no
>>
>>128107579
>Should more be set up across the country to generate renewable energy,or do they cause more problems than they solve?

One word: INFRASOUND

This shit is hardcore deadly. Wind turbines are bad, bad news.
>>
>>128111089
literally none of those things are problems
there's so many regulations and n-∞ redundancies now
in fact the only reason why there isn't more of them is specifically because you need a dickload of capital to build one
>>
File: US energy cost.jpg (72KB, 800x551px) Image search: [Google]
US energy cost.jpg
72KB, 800x551px
>>128112888
CSP are only ever built in deserts. Where do you even get the data that they are cheap? The mirror arrays cost a fucking fortune and it only produces around 100 MW and only during clear days.
>>
I've seen a quite a few wind farms in Western Pennsylvania and Ohio. 9 times out of 10 the blades are stagnant. Completely inefficient. Total waste.
>>
>>128107579
>Stop climate change
Or
>Admit Hitler DINDU nuffin
This kills the liberal
>>
File: Top Secret Nazi Blueprints.jpg (49KB, 525x335px) Image search: [Google]
Top Secret Nazi Blueprints.jpg
49KB, 525x335px
I've done the math

We can make this work and it's even more efficient actually
>>
>>128110641
>'renewable'
>actually just extremely inefficiently harnessing the nuclear fusion power of the sun
>>
File: 1480500606268.jpg (112KB, 634x845px) Image search: [Google]
1480500606268.jpg
112KB, 634x845px
It cannot survive without government subsidies out the ass. If someone can make a profit on their own, good on them, but we shouldn't be paying for it with tax dollars.
>>
>>128111642
>most expensive and shitty power
>most expensive and shitty internet
when will the suffering end
>>
File: bird.png (107KB, 738x419px) Image search: [Google]
bird.png
107KB, 738x419px
>>128107682
>>128108772
The bird thing is literally propaganda pushed by power companies. All I'm saying is that Its in Jew interests to keep oil going and keep shitting up middle east countries for them and to secure the oil fields
>>
>>128114003
finally
a generator that only produces White Power
>>
>>128114231
>Its in Jew interests to keep oil going and keep shitting up middle east countries for them and to secure the oil fields
>Trump goes for the opposite and pushes for energy independence
Really makes you think. Are you sure that the wind/solar meme isn't there to keep oil going forever?
>>
>>128107579
Turbines don't create energy if they are not spinning fast enough. They use energy to slow down if going to fast.
>>
>>128111356
The only reason I can think of is they make wind turbines in Denmark so much lower cost of delivery than from Denmark to say Washington state USA.
>>
File: electricity prices.png (29KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
electricity prices.png
29KB, 800x609px
>>128111356
They have strong winds. And lots of backup generators.
Also highest electricity prices in Europe.
>>
>>128107579
1. Most turbines push about 1 megawatt if they're lucky. The best in the world produce about 5 megawatt at peak. One nuclear reactor produces 1GW, or about 1000 turbines.
2. Wind turbines require a resource: land and space. Granted most of the areas are useless property, for now. They also require maintenance, which means access roads to the turbines and workers
3. It's hands down more expensive than any other energy source (except for solar)
4. Power grids can't handle the full variance in power from wind farms, the efficiency is terrible. The average efficiency from an energy source to a house is less than 30% as is.

In the Pacific NW, hydroelectric is king. A single dam can produce the same energy as about 5000 turbines, and it's constant.
>>
>>128107682
>implying human needs aren't more important
>thinking like a libshit radica environmentalist
>implying the birds won't eventually adapt.

So long if windpower is sustainable by the free market alone, I see nothing wrong with it.
>>
The torque of the nuts that attach the blades to the motor has to monitored regularly. The manpower cost of this alone makes wind energy economically infeasible.
>>
>>128114407
The modern turbines can generate some energy with 5+mph of wind. There's some loss for sure at higher speeds to keep resistance. In high winds they will shut down completely.
>>
the answer to the energy crisis is obvious, less people
>>
>>128107579
Ugly and useless. We won't be able to give up nuclear power unless we drastically (>50%) reduce our energy consumption, period.
>>
>>128115193
Liberals don't care about feasibility, they care about what makes them feel better or morally superior.
>>
>>128107579
Just because they are white doesn't mean they are clean
>>
>>128115291
Correct. Every wind turbine in America is essentially a massive virtue signal.
>>
>>128115316
looks like the fucking wind turbines are pulling some major taqiyya on the white kuffar population. Fuck.
>>
File: deep green.gif (39KB, 432x820px) Image search: [Google]
deep green.gif
39KB, 432x820px
>>128115271
I see you took the green pill.
>>128115291
They pursue the least feasible solutions on purpose.
>>
>>128107579
The turbines at Altamont have bankrupted no less than 5 companies. I used to sell the owners / operators replacement parts. Made a lot of money before losing relatively a small bit.
>>
>>128114599
This. It's expensive, but wind power covers around 50 % of our consumption on average. I'm not really sure what to think about it. Seems like there are pros and cons to every power source.
>>
>>128107579
Wind energy is quite shit. It has a low and unstable energy output which makes balancing a power grid extremely difficult. The oft cited claims that germany is extremely green is because they can fall back onto the european grid , mainly frances, which is powered by nuclear
>>
>Can't run if not enough wind.
>Can't run if too much wind.
>Blades have to be heated in winter so that ice buildup doesn't make the structure unbalanced which could ruin the bearings.
>Have to keep conventional power on standby anyway in case not enough wind power generation.
>>
>>128115611
nothing wrong with reducing humans on earth.
Imagine if we could remove 75 % of population in India, China, Africa and the ME overnight.
Wouldnt that be great?
>>
>>128115836

This. I honestly never thought of it that way. Maybe green is the way to go.
>>
>>128115836
How's the Bilderberg meeting this year? Say hi to Lyndsey Graham for me.
>>
File: denmark.png (17KB, 354x597px) Image search: [Google]
denmark.png
17KB, 354x597px
>>128115629
They don't even do what they are supposed to do (reduce emissions) as good as nuclear and hydro, because you have to still burn fuel half the time.
>>128115836
Only if you are an edgy misanthrope.
>>
>>128112493
They don't look very efficient at all

They aren't even in the shape of a swastika
>>
>>128116025

the first ones is free!
>>
>>128111089
Meltdowns are not a problem with new reactor designs. The problem is that we're still using 30-40+ year old reactor designs.
>>
>>128116178
>>128116129
>t. street shitters who will NOT be a superpower by 2030
Sad!
>>
>>128107682
Lol traffic kills 30 times more birds than wind turbines, cats kill like 1000 times more birds than wind turbines. Ban cats! Ban traffic! Bird lives matter!
>>
>>128107579
they take up too much space.
wind is a pretty mediocre source of energy
>>
>>128114129
>It cannot survive without government subsidies out the ass.
Same way I feel about the military t.b.h.
>>
>>128116814
>ban cats
this, cats are the niggers of the house pet kingdom (unless you actually try to domesticate a negro)
Doggos are the way to go. They are based and they make muzzies shit themselves. Based!
>>
>>128107579
They are intermittent power sources with no real "baseload" capacity.
Any other conventional power source, even Solar (PV or thermal), kicks wind turbines ass when it comes to sustained power production per installed capacity.

Not to mention they break down, a lot.

Nuclear, Geothermal, hydroelectric, Solar thermal & PV, all are far better "green" energy sources than wind turbines.. yet they're touted as something great.
Thanks lobbyists.
>>
>>128115611
Knee or Hip deep (depending on how many and what kinds of people).
>>
>>128107579
They only work in daylight hours so they're totally useless.
>>
>>128107579
They are good and getting better
>>
>>128107579
>Live in a faggy country where 50% electricity is generated by wind
>Would still rather have nuclear
Fuck this hippie shit.
>>
Stop redpilling me on everything you fucks.
Being surrounded by ultra bluepilled people is becoming more and more suffering each day
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power
https://whatisnuclear.com/articles/thorium.html
https://youtu.be/tHO1ebNxhVI
Thorium is the real way to go.
>>
>>128107579
Inefficient so expensive for upkeep and power generation so lucrative when you can force consumers and businesses to buy energy produced by inefficient expensive windmills by law because they can ask a shitton of cash for it (enforced by law because otherwise no one would buy it due to the pricing)

Plus they uggo
>>
Isn't that the central Washington wind farms?
>>
>>128121362
But you're in France. France is nuke country.
>>
The only good energy source besides fossil fuels is 1,000 beaners beating off
>>
Solar panels are better even tho they are also high maintenance
>>
>>128123368
There must be at least 40/50 windmemes where i live
>>
>>128107682
Holy fuck, Americans are dumb enough to actually believe this shit.
>>
>>128107579

wind power redpill:

> doesn't work in low wind
> also doesn't work in high wind
> VERY ineffective at getting energy from wind
> for efficiency, they have to have large blades and a tall tower, but the costs of building bigger doesn't pay with extra power
> for every windmill there is around 2000 tonnes of concrete poured into the ground as a foundation, if you work out how much energy is used to make that concrete, windmills NEVER payback the energy used to make them
> rich landowners in the uk get nice backhanders from the government to put them on their land. David cameron's dad is a good example.
>>
File: energy return.png (62KB, 866x851px) Image search: [Google]
energy return.png
62KB, 866x851px
>>128125130
They do payback, several times over (look at pic, Weissbach study, ignore the rest), but reliable sources payback 30-300 times over.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.