[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there such thing as free will?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: images (19).jpg (14KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (19).jpg
14KB, 384x384px
Consider the following: everything that happens in our world has a natural cause. If the same applies to the human mind, that means that all our thoughts and actions have a cause.

If that's the case, there isn't such thing as a free will, because everything we do is determined by chemical reactions in our brains.
>>
>>127735986

free will is a real consequence of our inability to see all the strings + exigency
>>
>>127735986
Compatibilism is the belief that free will and determinism are compatible ideas, and that it is possible to believe in both without being logically inconsistent. Compatibilists believe freedom can be present or absent in situations for reasons that have nothing to do with metaphysics. They define free will as freedom to act according to one's motives without arbitrary hindrance from other individuals or institutions.
>>
>>127735986
Who cares? What do you gain by finding an answer to this question? It is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>127736073
fpbp
>>
>>127736073
What do you mean by exigency?

>>127736233
What do you mean by arbitrary hindrance?
>>
>>127736947

No, it isn't. Our entire (((modern))) society is designed by taking free will as something certain.

Free will is just a front for weak will (which is choice)
Strong will is the key (I MUST do something... there's no choice)

One is imperative, masculine.
Other is passive, feminine.
>>
>>127737488
Just do the one which ends up in the better results from your experience and observation.
>>
>>127736947
It's all but irrelevant.

For example, you can't punish a criminal if he wasn't acting voluntarily.
>>
>>127739477
Without a doubt punishing crime works as a deterrent.
>>
>>127735986
There are a lot of ifs in here. Replace those with solid evidence and then you can dismantle free will. Until then, you have to think about what the motives of those telling you free will is and illusion are. The reason is often disguised as enlightenment. What use then would there be to tell someone they do not have free will, then use that very line as a way to tell them they are free from an intellectual prison?
>>
>>127739829
If there's no free will, deterrents don't work.
>>
>>127740434
Look at countries where a new law was introduced and where this law is enforced. Then you can clearly see if it works or not by the change of behaviour.
>>
>>127740709
Correlation does not imply causation.
>>
>>127742875
But there is empircal evidence.
>>
>>127737295

>What do you mean by exigency?

hunger, thirst, will to procreate, etc.

uncertainty in the face of these things requires will to fulfill them
>>
File: Impaled.jpg (66KB, 450x554px) Image search: [Google]
Impaled.jpg
66KB, 450x554px
>>127735986
Yes ! You always have free will. You must have means to act on it ($$$). Even if you were in a North Korean gulag you have free will just no means to act on it, and if you did they would set you free....
Pic: related
>>
File: Ehhhhh.png (69KB, 764x487px) Image search: [Google]
Ehhhhh.png
69KB, 764x487px
>>127735986
I can fap when ever I feel like it I could even be fapping right now so there free will exists 5 times a day.
>>
hard determinism is the truth,
buti t feels free so why should you care?
>>
>>127746177
Because it means we could scientifically predict the future.
>>
>>127736233
so basically they cant make up their minds.
like agnostics
>>
>>127735986
free will is an illusion, it is a product of perspective. that perspective is not being able to see the future.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.