[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he the last truly great statesman?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0924.jpg (35KB, 427x429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0924.jpg
35KB, 427x429px
Was he the last truly great statesman?
>>
>>127715766
new phone who dis?
>>
>>127716057
Lee Kuan Yew. The guy who founded Singapore and brought it from third world and into the first within his lifetime.
>>
>>127716315
Nice, how did he achieve such a feat?
>>
>>127716976
Gotta read his memoirs. First volume is on Piratebay.

Basically he was educated in Britain and outsmarted the British, the Malays and the Commies. Literally gave his everything to his country.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ND3U_9HgQ
>>
>>127719688
This is the video that convinced me he wasn't in it for his own gain.
>>
>>127715766
I remember i saw him on a dictators list, kek. Still, from what i know he was a fantastic leader that made Singapur the Germany of asia.
>>
>>127715766
started with pretty much nothing and ended up with one of the greatest economic powerhouses in asia. he was corrupt af at the end, but can't think of anyone better in the past 2 decades or so.
>>
>>127715766
I don't think you can truly measure his impact on my country without actually having lived here. His control over the development of our political system and economic system is supreme, for better and for worse.
>>
>>127715766
Grew up with my dad saying we should have someone like this in charge of our country.
>>
>>127719943
You mean appointing his family members and shit like that? Eh, it's not surprising. Follows the model of "Oriental despotism". Also if you read his book you get a sort of eugenicist vibe.
>>
>>127720345
If you're into technocracy, giving immense political power to one party in the blind faith they will do what is best for the country then yes LKY is the leader for you.

Under him you can expect a heavy focus on economic, science and technological education, great healthcare and housing and lots of police power/security. But you also get high immigration, literally no political opposition, little civil society participation, few political and civil rights, state-controlled media, etc.
>>
>>127720964
Immigration is not as bad if the law is applied consistently, which from what I've heard it is.

Also I'm not interested in political freedom for myself or others and I prefer open propaganda to one that pretends to be real independent news.
>>
>>127721156
yeah, an advantage to strong police powers is that we have very few illegal immigration.
nah, our govt isnt so silly to be so open about publishing govt propaganda. They apply backroom pressure on news editors to get them on the same page. so its "independent" to a certain extent.

Also you're dumb if you think its a good idea to have an opaque government with no accountability. Our people generally trust the govt but still its a slippery slope to the govt China and Russia have.
>>
>>127719843
you can see it on his face. a real man of iron. we need leaders made of his stuff in the west. men who can carry the burden of history when it is thrust upon them.

>>127720149
>>127720964
everyone i know that has lived in singapore or travels there regularly for work marvels at the cleanliness, the order, the safety. of course i'm on the outside looking in and you're actually living there, but singapore is a country with much to admire (and learn from).
>>
>>127722006
I think Russia and China are more prone to oppression because they're too difficult to control otherwise.

From what I've heard Singapore is almost literally run for profit, so at least your gov't is financially accountable.

Oh and isn't it part of your law that gov't can't be criticized in the press?
>>
>>127715766
if this was before '89 I'd throw Saddam's name into the hat, although his results were not as good as singapore's because he was surrounded by a bunch of savages.
>>
He was the right man for the job during the 60s to 90s. However his party has been a little slow to evolve in the last couple of decades. Also, no real political competition = complacency.

That being said, I'm glad he was in charge. He's very much the kind of leader most of pol will like to have.
>>
>>127715766
One of the greatest, but not the last. Say what you want but the Chinese leadership since Deng Xiaoping has been consistently good, China memes aside.
>>
File: IMG_2042.jpg (105KB, 482x930px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2042.jpg
105KB, 482x930px
Neo-China arrives from the future
>>
>>127716976
By being a stiff dick mostly. Hard and upright
>>
>>127722602
>they are financially accountable
Hmm, accountable no. No one can stop them. They recently announces they lost several billion on some bad investment.
But they are running a budget surplus just dont ask who they got the money from (taxpayers)
>>
>>127726283
Space echoes like an enormous tomb...
>>
>>127724609
I find that he didnt set a good example at the end, since he didnt retire.
Why didnt he retire i wonder? It was a strange decision and showed he let go of his principles on the end.
>>
File: IMG_2304.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2304.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>127726871
Perhaps the flows are not yet de-territorialised enough...
>>
>>127727553
Oh fuck, I'm mad jelly, especially of the CCRU one. Is it just a collection of publications?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.