[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When exactly did the left and right change places on freedom?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 4L_LzZKJoYr.jpg (163KB, 941x665px) Image search: [Google]
4L_LzZKJoYr.jpg
163KB, 941x665px
When exactly did the left and right change places on freedom?

I'm old enough (33) to remember when it was the right that was pro censorship (panics re: 'violent' music and video games, obscene art, etc.), divisive (and often supremacist) about race and culture, against *equal* treatment of religious and gender minorities... Conversely, it was the left that was 'liberal' (in the classical sense) on social issues, wanting to treat everyone as equal individuals with the liberty to do, say, and think what they wanted.

Somewhere along the line, although I didn't register it happening at the time, this has totally reversed. Now it's the right that aims to be colour/culture/gender blind, while it's the left that's totally obsessed with difference. It's the left now that threatens freedom of expression, and which is constantly in a moral panic about something or other calling for censorship, while the right has become broadly libertarian on social issues.

It also occurs to me that the left used to champion a muscular expansion of western values and rights around the world: human rights, rights for women and minorities, democracy, etc. and the right that had more respect for local cultural mores. This of course has totally reversed too.
>>
>>127597613
Bump
>>
File: pope.jpg (102KB, 678x768px) Image search: [Google]
pope.jpg
102KB, 678x768px
>>127597613
>defending a fgts rights to speak
ok then.
>>
>>127598793
Fucking germtard, the faggot's right to speak is you right to speak, faggot.
>>
>>127598953
*your
>>
The political shift to the right was the correct choice.
>>
File: holdingback.gif (470KB, 499x277px) Image search: [Google]
holdingback.gif
470KB, 499x277px
>>127598953
wait, so you really want (((free speech)))?
>>
>>127597613
Cause for 1 brief moment we were all equal, and they wanted more than that. The minorities and women wanted an eye for an eye instead of just being equal.
>>
>>127597613
Does anyone else feel like there has been a lack of blatant shilling and an increase in actual conversation today?
>>
File: 1468429072472.gif (2MB, 268x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468429072472.gif
2MB, 268x200px
>>127597613
>this level of obsfucation.
fake news, a bunch of twats took over a peaceful protest. Anarchists and militant movements destroy all hope for civil change, thats why many black civil rights movers and shakers fucking hated them all. the saw this kind of thing as two steps back for every step forward they made. Berkely students where a bunch of twats but they weren't criminals and the real happening was a gang using their protest as cover for violence.
>>
>>127597613

But free speech includes the freedom to speak louder than Milo.

The alternative was what? Ban those people from having a voice because milo's is more important?

Freedom of speech is a double edged sword. It's petty as fuck to 'shout louder' to stifle the opposing view. Milo too is guilty as fuck for doing that too.

Fuck it. Be petty. Fuck those people in jail. Because only one side should be free to speak.

>retards everywhere
can't grasp free speech isn't a right to force people to listen to you
>>
>>127599749
It's not surprising a bong doesn't understand free speech.
>>
>>127597613
tis' a sad sight.
seeing everything people fought and died for being in vain....
what once was a great nation that soared onward has taken a big leap backwards and betrayed those fundamentals that make it great..make it free.
like cancer, they have spread so much that they are on the verge of killing both the host and themselves.

also
Rare
>>
>>127599953
this
>>
>>127599301
What I don't get is what the 'end game' is for identity politics. Is the goal no longer treating everyone equally, or do they think we'll still get there eventually?
>>
>>127601438
the "end game" is that with this behavior, they will make it even harder for themselves to make their point cause no-one will ever give them the audience.
sure identity politics are crucial to a point where we have to stand guard of peoples human rights but to fight for inequality as they do will not be tolerated.
they refute facts with feelings.
facts are cold, facts do not care about your feelings.
facts are the truth and as the Buddha says : three things wont be kept hidden for long, the sun, the moon and the truth.
>>
>>127601438
Yugoslavia is the end game for identity politics, the obsession with avenging historical grievances will turn every multicultural society in to a powderkeg.
>>
>>127597613
I was there for the Free Speech movement. What happened? The radicals grew up and took over the government as well as the schools.
>>
>>127602620
I guess it just goes to show that free speech is purely instrumental for most people. They hide behind it when tactically convenient, but are happy to shit others down and/or plug their own ears when they can. This probably applies equally to the right and left (where once we had 'nigger lovers' now we have 'racists', etc)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.