[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes an animal domesticable, for idiots on pol

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 17

File: 1491151697307.jpg (23KB, 440x259px) Image search: [Google]
1491151697307.jpg
23KB, 440x259px
>What makes an animal domesticable? What makes it un-domesticable? You realize that other continents didn't just naturally produce friendly cows, horses, and donkeys, right? They were selectively bred from other, less docile animals, a process africans never even attempted with their wildlife.

>Before they bred the dometic cow, Eurasians shared their continent with the aurochs. I'd place money on an aurochs over a little Cape Buffalo in a "which animal is a more hateful, dangerous asshole" contest any day of the week, but we fucking broke them. Africans failed to do the same.

>Every time a geographic determinist tried to defend Africa, they start making these wild claims, "oh, the animals were impossible to domesticate, the cereals were impossible to farm, it just couldn't be done", with no rationale for why it was impossible other than the niggers failed to do it.

since you are apperantly too stupid to understand I figured I would go ahead and Link a video that explains how domestication works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOmjnioNulo
the second link's time stamp should suffice for those among you too stupid to watch a 7 minute video and let basic facts sink in.
https://youtu.be/JEYh5WACqEk?t=6m45s
>>
>>127530888
fuck off jared diamond
>>
File: 1436737800305.png (36KB, 510x1499px) Image search: [Google]
1436737800305.png
36KB, 510x1499px
>>127531037
>>
File: 1466816062437.jpg (20KB, 263x222px) Image search: [Google]
1466816062437.jpg
20KB, 263x222px
>>127530888
I just noticed kek's blessings.
>>
Any animal can be domesticated through selective breeding. Look up Dmitry Belyaev and Fox Experiments.
>>
>>127530888

All animals are. Give it a house, it's domesticated.

PS: I collect pics of people petting/playing with wild animals.
>>
>>127530888
>>
File: Corbis-BE031279.jpg (94KB, 640x501px) Image search: [Google]
Corbis-BE031279.jpg
94KB, 640x501px
>>127530888

As you can see....all can be, heck, the negro is the prime example, living independent of owners for a hundred years and their number grow stronger by the day!
>>
>>127533885
>durr
watch the video before you spout retarded shit.
>>127534126
see above
>>
>>127534471

As if I don't already know...pfft...
>>
>>127534471
>CGPGrey

Nice source bro.
>>
>>127535267

>>127535181
>as If I don't already know
You are either a troll or willfully ignorant, learn what domestication is.

>>127535267
>implying I need a source.
this is the prevailing theory in anthropology. if you want to have an alternative fact you better damn well substantiate it because others than me have done a far better job than I. I was just illustrating through a short video for a few idiots incapable of understanding the basic premise on WHY you can't just domesticate everything circa 15k years ago.
>>
File: nigerian&pet hyena.jpg (267KB, 1024x1027px) Image search: [Google]
nigerian&pet hyena.jpg
267KB, 1024x1027px
>>127535533

do·mes·ti·ca·tion
dəˌmestəˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
the process of taming an animal and keeping it as a pet or on a farm.

....you were saying?

You're being autistic, that's OK, but you need to flexible when interacting with others.
>>
>>127535533

All animals need pets, big and small, pets for pets!
>>
if what you're saying is true (it's not) then how is that an argument against the fact that niggers evolved for thousands of years in different environments and developed different traits that makes them incompatible with western society? are you denying evolution, you science denying backwards christian bigot?
>>
File: gorilla_fight.webm (1MB, 568x320px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla_fight.webm
1MB, 568x320px
>>127530888
Checked. I'll address the video points in a minute, posting this before I watch it. An animal really only has to have three characteristics to be capable of domestication, and not just being tamed on an individual level.
>It must be social
Solitary animals like snakes or rhinos cannot be domesticated because the only time they ever tolerate members of their own kind are during breeding season.
>They must have an alpha
The animals must have an instinctual concept of the alpha or the boss, of course now the human fulfills that role. Animals that merely live together but do not have an leader, like fish or some rodents, cannot truly be domesticated.
>They must reproduce quickly
This one is iffy, but for domestication to occur in a timely manner the animal in question should be able to make babies on a regular basis. This means that elephants, despite meeting the first two criteria, will likely never be fully domesticated.
>>
>>127530888

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhlOkEpvFgQ

Also, you don't have to ride a zebra. People first used horses for pulling wagons to carry their nomadic tent villages around. People used chariots in war because the first horses weren't big enough to carry a man in battle well.
>>
File: 6fotos-raras-pasado.jpg (48KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
6fotos-raras-pasado.jpg
48KB, 500x503px
>>127536948
Quitter...
>>
>>127536590
Explain falconry.
>>
>>127535872
>>127536164
>to tame (an animal), especially by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.
wrong.

>>127536209
what I'm saying is true, and what you are saying is not relevant to what is being discussed.

>>127536948
watch the video
>>127536590
not sure what you are arguing against or for me here. I don't disagree with any of this though.
>>
File: hunting_dogs.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
hunting_dogs.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>127536590
K watched the vid. He brought up four points, only two of which are even right.
>Friendly
He's kind of on the mark here, but I wouldn't use the term friendly so much as "tolerant." Ancient wolves would tolerate a nearby human tribe because they could always eat our scraps and roll around in our shit. They weren't friendly though, human and wolf clashes were very common from Spain all the way to Siberia.
>Feedable
Lmao so fucking wrong. Literally the first animals we domesticated (wolves/dogs) have a diet of well over 80% meat. The only non-meat the eat is the occasional nut or berry. He also fails to mention how specific the diets of several herbivores are.
>Fecund
He's right here, exact same comparison as I used.
>Family
I split this into two points, but you get the idea. They have to be social animals. What he again fails to mention is that while zebras may not have as tight knit herds as horses, they still meet this benchmark. Zebra herds have a big badass stallion who helps kick hyena butts, and mothers are very close to their young. A zebra herd is just several loose families living together, rather than the extended family of a horse. Does this make them harder to work with than horses? Yes, but not impossible. Africa does have animals that can be domesticated almost as easily as the horse. Certain gazelle and antelope live in groups nigh identical to horses, and could easily be bred to be just a bit larger to accommodate a human ride.

Jared Diamond lied.
>>127537182
Tame=/=domesticate. If the most tame and friendly falcon in the world lays an egg, that chick will be initially very hostile towards people. Trust is a learned behavior in wild animals. Meanwhile a puppy inherently trusts humans, and sometimes even prefers their company over other dogs. Even if it's never seen a human in its life, it is very unlikely the puppy will be aggressive.
>>127538320
I'm just rambling farn.
>>
>>127538490
>that chick will be initially very hostile towards people.
Confirmed non-falconer. You might want to learn about "imprint."
>>
>>127538320
>being this autistic over semantics
wew
>>
>>127538575
I'm no falconer but I have raised a few different birds. Imprinting is kind of a gamble. If you aren't there right as the bird is coming out of the egg, it will not be friendly with you. And even if it imprints, it will not be as close to you as a dog or even a pet rat. God forbid you try to handle the bird for the first time when it's more than a few weeks old that fucker will bite you. Don't have that problem with any domestic animals.
>>
>>127538490
>first animals we domesticated
>dogs
>wolves
okay you lost the right to talk as soon as you mentioned we domesticated dogs from wolves. the dogs we domesticated came from a dog that evolved to hunt our scraps and scavange, it was not a wolf.

>zebras still meet this bench mark
no they don't.
>but not impossible
yes they are for stone tool users you idiot.
>gazelle and antelope
apperantly you're pretty bad at watching a video.

>Tame=/=domesticate.
at least you got that right. kill yourself senpai.
>>
>>127530888
What the fuck are you even trying to argue, faggot?

Is this just another tired old argument that africa is a shit infested hell hole for some reason other than niggers?
>>
>>127535533
>this is the prevailing theory in anthropology
because social "scientists" never twist facts and mold theories to fit pre-concieved notions of the world
>>
>>127539276
no, it was a left over shitpost from a dumbass in a thread who thought
>muh gems and iron and natural resources
means that Africans should have a civilization when most of the domestic able animals where not anywhere near them. I corrected him and he made the retarded reply you see green texted in the op. so I responded to it because I couldn't believe anyone was so stupid they don't understand how difficult it is to domesticate something with stone tools.
>>
WILL JARED KUSHNER EVER RECOVER?
>>
>>127539524
indeed, they do. that's why for hundreds of years they though everyone but white people where subhuman.

Animal domestication isn't a fact twist. zoos are not a novel modern concept. we've had them since the bronze age, white people never domesticated zebra either. The breeds of animals chosen is small and select. with a very short list of features.
>>
>>127539528
You're an idiot

Give a European company a few hundred years and they'll domnesticate whatever you want in Africa.
Even Poo in Loos domnesticated elephants, which africans don't seem to do.
>>
>>127539646
watch the video retard
>>
>>127539735
>durr we'll domesticate whatever we want
then why didn't you?

>>127539735
>elephants
>domesticated
yeah you're the idiot. watch the video nigger
>>
>>127539147
>the dogs we domesticated came from a dog that evolved to hunt our scraps and scavange
Does Canis Progenitor ring a bell? European Gray Wolves and C. Familiaris shared an ancestor. That ancestor, over thousands of years, began to split, on maintaining the rough appearance of the modern wolf, and one taking the rough form of a dog. That second group was then integrated into human tribes, neotony kicked in, and the rest is history.
Zebras live in groups and have a leader animal. Yes they fucking do.
>yes they are for stone tool users you idiot.
Irrelevant, you don't need electricity to manage animals.
>apperantly you're pretty bad at watching a video
>m-muh leaping capabilities.
Pic fucking related. Central Africans didn't domesticate animals because they were to dumb to even try.
>kill yourself senpai.
rood t b h.
>>
>>127539813
Im not watching nigger apologetics, retard

Niggers could not plan ahead to cull populations and practice selective breeding, simple as that

JARED (((DIAMOND))) on SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>127539898
indeed, and the one integrated into human tribes wasn't a fucking wolf by any strech of the imagination. it was a scavenger, not a pack hunter.

>zebra live in groups
yes we know that, doesn't make them domesticable.
>you don't need electricity to manage animals
no you just need a way to stop them from killing you while being able to feed them and yourself.
zebras are not horses. you can't domesticate them with nothing but stone tools and a pack of assholes.

>curved metal fences
>neolithic.
yeah just fucking off yourself immediately. you don't deserve to breath the same air as me.
>>
>>127540021
see >>127531697
>>
>>127540260
Not an argument.

Foxes were domesticated in 50 years. Niggers are just too stupid.
>>
>>127540403
>durrr
you are the one who has no arguement while making posts that make it demonstrable that you don't even know what's being discussed here. kindly go kill yourself
>>
File: grevy-pulling.jpg (77KB, 495x292px) Image search: [Google]
grevy-pulling.jpg
77KB, 495x292px
>>127540472
Foxes were domesticated and white people domesticated all animals even zebras fuck off nigger go be a Jewish nigger somewhere else
>>
>>127540602
>white people domesticated all animals
I doubt even the most delusional white supremacist with more than 5 brain cells unlike your 1 would insist that lhamas where domesticated by white people.
>>
>>127540218
jfc man relax it's just an animal thread

>wasn't a fucking wolf by any strech of the imagination
Wow, it's almost as if that's exactly what I fucking said. C. Progenitor was a wolf, it eventually took on a dog-like form, THEN humans stepped in. At least try to read anon.
>doesn't make them domesticable.
Not by itself otherwise we would have domesticated Meerkats or some shit by now. It's that zebras have a hierarchy that a human can assume to highest position of.
>you can't domesticate them with nothing but stone tools and a pack of assholes.
Maybe not, but why did Africans not domesticate their animals as their technology grew, or when Europeans brought their own technology and even their own animals as example?
>yeah just fucking off yourself immediately.
You say that as if you can only make a curved fence out of metal. If only there was some sort of flexible plant material available in Africa...

Let's get into the New World bullshit too while we're at it. Second video in the OP says the only viable animal in the New World for domestication was llamas. There are sheep native to North America though, why didn't they get domesticated, convergent with European sheep? Gets my noggin' joggin'.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.