[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraft racist, evidence?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: hpl.jpg (304KB, 1473x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hpl.jpg
304KB, 1473x1080px
Hi, pol. I am 10 months from an MS in Literature, and I *love* H.P. Lovecraft as a writer, favorite by far. But my preceptor... she says that Lovecraft is racist. What do you guys think of him? (Preceptor says this is the worst site on the net, so I want to bracket my expectation between here and Quora). Thanks!
>>
He was racist, yeah
Good man
>>
>>127523947
Leave while you still have a chance. You don't want to learn how bad the world really is.
>>
File: 1496011393045.jpg (59KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
1496011393045.jpg
59KB, 404x507px
>>127523947
>>
>>127523947
The New York Mongoloid problem is beyond calm mention. The city is befouled and accursed—I come away from it with a sense of having been tainted by contact, and long for some solvent of oblivion to wash it out! … How in Heaven’s name sensitive and self-respecting white men can continue to live in the stew of Asiatic filth which the region has become—with marks and reminders of the locust-plague on every hand—is absolutely beyond me. … There is here a grave and mighty problem beside which the negro problem is a jest—for in this case we have to deal not with childlike half-gorillas, but with yellow, soulless enemies whose repulsive carcasses house dangerous mental machines warped culturelessly in the single direction of material gain at any cost. I hope the end will be warfare … In New England we have our own local curses … in the form of simian Portuguese, unspeakable Southern Italians, and jabbering French-Canadians. Broadly speaking, our curse is Latin just as yours is Semitic-Mongoloid, the Mississippian’s African, the Pittsburgher’s Slavonic, the Arizonian’s Mexican, and the Californian’s Chino-Japanese.*–Letter from Lovecraft to Frank Belknap Long, August 21, 1926.
>>
>>127523947
https://greatmindsonrace.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/h-p-lovecraft/
>>
>>127523947
Now the trickiest catch in the negro problem is the fact that it is really twofold. The black is vastly inferior. There can be no question of this among contemporary and unsentimental biologists—eminent Europeans for whom the prejudice-problem does not exist. But, it is also a fact that there would be a very grave and very legitimate problem even if the negro were the white man’s equal. For the simple fact is, that two widely dissimilar races, whether equal or not, cannot peaceably coexist in the same territory until they are either uniformly mongrelised or cast in folkways of permanent and traditional personal aloofness. . . . . Just how the black and his tan penumbra can ultimately be adjusted to the American fabric, yet remains to be seen. . . . Millions of them would be perfectly content with servile status if good physical treatment and amusement could be assured them, and they may yet form a well-managed agricultural peasantry. The real problem is the quadroon and octoroon—and still lighter shades. Theirs is a sorry tragedy, but they will have to find a special place. What we can do is to discourage the increase of their numbers by placing the highest possible penalties on miscegenation, and arousing as much public sentiment as possible against lax customs and attitudes—especially in the inland South—at present favouring the melancholy and disgusting phenomenon. All told, I think the modern American is pretty well on his guard, at last, against racial and cultural mongrelism. There will be much deterioration, but the Nordic has a fighting chance of coming out on top in the end.–Letter from Lovecraft to James F. Morton, January 1931.
>>
File: 1366070647931.jpg (188KB, 480x724px) Image search: [Google]
1366070647931.jpg
188KB, 480x724px
He had a cat named Nigger-man.
>>
>>127523947
Have fun sucking old man dick, you faggot.
>>
>>127523947
Of course they can’’t let niggers use the beach at a Southern resort – can you imagine sensitive persons bathing near a pack of greasy chimpanzees? The only thing that makes life endurable where blacks abound is the Jim Crow principle, & I wish they’’d apply it in N.Y. both to niggers & to the more Asiatic type of puffy, rat-faced Jew. Either stow ‘em out of sight or kill ‘em off – anything so that a white man may walk along the streets without shuddering nausea.–Letter from Lovecraft to A.E.P. Gamwell, February 1925
>>
>>127523947
Your Preceptor is more racist. She's an anti-White racist who wants to kill White people, and she's trying to brainwash you into killing Whites or hating yourself if you're White.
>>
File: The_creation_of_niggers.png (173KB, 640x340px) Image search: [Google]
The_creation_of_niggers.png
173KB, 640x340px
>>127523947
Definitely racist, and very xenophobic. Did not like leaving his home town. Although he seemed to have softened up in his older years and during his marriage, there are some letters where he talks about what an "ass" he had been.

Died of cancer at 40 something so we wont know for sure how his views would have changed as the world did.
>>
>>127524483
>jabbering French-Canadians

Queebs BTFO
>>
Yes, he was a racist. What does it matter, though? If you like his books, you should read them. Don't let moral busy bodies tell you what you're to read, listen to, or believe in.
>>
>>127523947
Lovecraft was a typical beady-eyed eternal anglo who hated all non-anglos. Think he married a jewess, though
>>
>>127525134
>Think he married a jewess, though
That is also typically Anglo
>>
No matter a person's achievements whether in science such as discovering the nature of DNA, or in politics, or in this case with literature, all is void in the face of racisms. Frankly, if you are racist, your achievements don't matter and are better deserved by a later achieving POC. It is 2017, we don't have to revisit the past with these cis white males and the problematic history of so called scifi.
>>
>>127523947
Oh yeah, Lovecraft was redpilled on the race issue.

Shadow Over Innsmouth was all about the dangers of miscegenation.

Horror at Redhook was about his trip to New York and being disgusted by all the sub humans scuttling around it.

I could go on.

"Racist" is just a slur modern faggots use to shame people who state the obvious, races are different and some don't mix well.
>>
>>127523947
Lovecraft was a massive racist, most of his writings can in some way be related to his hatred of ethnics, absolutely based.
>>
File: isomer.png (238KB, 680x349px) Image search: [Google]
isomer.png
238KB, 680x349px
>>127525826
I will take this into account. Someone mentioned to me a view that races are like separate organisms, can anyone expound on this for me? Lovecraft did, I recall, spend much time on the natures of "different species". Never thought he meant races though. Interesting.
>>
>>127524483
Oh man, to live in a time when Americas worst problem was Portugese, Italians and Slavs.
>>
>>127523947
He was a racist, but call your whatever a cultural chauvinist for applying modern liberal values to him.
>>
>>127523947
Gr8 b8 ni88er
>>
>>127523947
He was a total racist. How do you think that whole "fear of the unknown" thing worked dingus?
>>
>>127524483
Portuguese, Italians and Slavs are nowhere near the shittiness of the other groups mentioned.
>>
>>127523947

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
>>
>>127526361
Think of races like dog breeds
>>
>>127523947
Lovecraft feared and loathed everything that was strange to him. That's exactly why he was able to make great art: because he channeled those emotions into stories of fear and loathing.

If Lovecraft hadn't been racist, he'd have written shit and no one would have ever heard of him.
>>
>>127523947
He was around in the 1900s, of course he was racist. Everyone was.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkupUtNYeAA
>>
File: 1467134066834.png (100KB, 2339x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1467134066834.png
100KB, 2339x1493px
>>127526762
>Think of races like dog breeds
>>
File: trans.jpg (81KB, 736x1057px) Image search: [Google]
trans.jpg
81KB, 736x1057px
>>127526409
Are Slavs, Italians, etc. really that alien? Describe them to me, then, as Lovecraft might. Very curious.
>>
>>127526725

To an Anglo used to an Anglo world, many other Euros would be subhuman.

It's why "we've" already lost. "White" is a bastardization of several ethnic groups, each with different behaviors.
>>
>>127523947

Lovecraft was /pol/ incarnate.

>neet
>comically racist
>spent all day analogue shitposting instead of getting a job
>hated the evil Kikes...but married an evil Kike who paid all his bills
>>
>>127528308

You're not wrong.
>>
>>127523947
Hi, I just got through writing my bachelor's thesis on Lovecraft. I think you have to acknowledge Lovecraft's racism but you also have to acknowledge that he was a very isolated and awkward man and that he was raised in an environment that was conducive to racism - he was raised like New England aristocracy, essentially. I think his racism is understandable, especially after the time he spent in New York, near Red Hook, but not excusable. The bottom line is that an author's racism isn't an excuse to dismiss them, it's just another facet of their personality and writing that needs to be addressed in turn with all the others.
>>
>>127529340
>but not excusable
Why would it need to be excused?
>>
>>127527691
True story Lovecraft wrote 'The Rats in the Walls' as a response to an identity crisis he had on discovering that he might be only 63/64ths Anglo and 1/64th Welsh and wrote a seminal horror tale about a man who was cursed with the blood of being a cannibal degenerate.

If that isn't a /pol/ poster I don't know what is.
>>
>>127529654
first day on /pol/
>>
>>127529654
It doesn't, that's the point.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMqgEb7XxB0

for you OP
>>
>>127526828
Which is why Steven King is so mediocre in comparison when he tries to write Lovecraftian shit.

King is a xenophelic faggot.
>>
>>127524726
>Talks about how cats are their own individuals then names his cat that

what did he mean by this
>>
>>127523947
What does him being racist have to do with his writings? If you managed to read everything he wrote and never knew he was racist until somebody told you, clearly his racial views didn't impact his work.
>>
>>127523947
The late, great, Johnathan Bowden on H.P. Lovecraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7qQ7A4rWM8
>>
>>127523947
He absolutely was. Doesn't negate his substantial contributions to literature and quality of his stories.
>>
>>127531156

It probably made him better for his type of horror fiction, really.
>>
File: 1440442821915.png (226KB, 748x443px) Image search: [Google]
1440442821915.png
226KB, 748x443px
Was Lovecraft a racist? I dunno, OP, I just don't know, I mean are their any indications in his works about what he thought of people of other races?
>>
>>127524483
>simian Portuguese, unspeakable Southern Italians, and jabbering French-Canadians
Damn, he makes Hitler look like Trudeau!
>>
>>127531463
Honestly, the fear of the "other" is a very powerful one and something he well played upon. One would probably have a hard time doing so if you felt all people were good creatures at base.

Shadows Over Innsmouth could totally be taken as a parallel with racial purity and race-mixing mongrelism. Or it could be a story about horrible monsters that touches on a deep fear of us all. Does it matter? Does it lessen the quality of the work? I certainly don't think so.

If we ignored everything made by people who were racist we would probably wiping our asses with leaves in the woods still.
>>
>>127531156
This he was racist af by 1910 standards!

His views barely effect his writing aside the one story about a twist blacks are human.

She probably wouldn't mind if he was an alky like poe .. point that out softly
>>
>>127523947
Yes he was a racists like every fucking human being was at that point in time AND his horror was great so who gives a shit. For example I hate Stephen King for being leftist shit. At the same time he has wrote some great horror.
>>
>>127523947
He was racist but a lot of the examples people provide are actually anti-incest. See the albino apes from the heart of Africa which appeared in at least 2 of his stories. One story associated them with an incestuous family in (I believe) the Catskills and the monster gets shot at the end in a storm.

I haven't read shadow over innsmouth yet though, which is the most commonly cited story for his racism.
>>
Useless
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.