[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Cure for Cancer

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: Pepesmoking.png (18KB, 509x411px) Image search: [Google]
Pepesmoking.png
18KB, 509x411px
One thing that has always crossed my mind, that I could never really argue against is that Capitalism and the Free Market are actively hindering advancements in research for incurable diseases.

Concider the following: A cure for Cancer is in fact found, but why should the Pharmaceutical Industry make it available to the Public?
It seems far more profitable to cure them over a lifetime and bill them every step along the way then give them a cure that heals them from day one.
Progress in this scenario would not be the most profitable option, as it is usually. Therefore, in order to maximise profits the Pharma Corp has an active interest in delaying such a cure as long as possible. Same with Aids.
Am I in the wrong here?
From a capitalist perspective I see no reason why a Medicine or a Cure for Cancer would benefit the Coorperation when you can instead cure them over the course of decades at ridiculous prices.
>>
File: SEIZE.jpg (5KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
SEIZE.jpg
5KB, 247x250px
Shameless Bump, because I want to know.
>>
>>127505001
Everytime i see something that goes cheaper, i wonder, why would they do that when they could just profit out of it? I think about this everyday, and i'm 100% sure that they are hindering advancemets constantly. Especially in meds and health care in general
>>
>>127505001
Why create an efficient cure for anything then? By your rules, no diseases should have cure that work easily.

If someone was to come up with a cure for cancer, the rush would be to bring that result to the market. Why? Because $$$ rides on it. Lots and lots of fucking cash. Patenting an actual cure is much more profitable and way less dangerous than withholding a cure and risking some other free agent using YOUR idea to make money. Plus, with IPOs, many medical companies doing cancer research have their shareholders to thin kabout, who would decimate share prices if they ever found out their company was sitting on a secret cure.
>>
Congrats, you realized why they haven't "found a cure" yet. How would they get millions of dollars donated to "charity" if there was a cure let alone all the money on treatment. Same reason diabetes won't get a cure.
>>
>>127505551
Thats what I was thinking. Of course the one who discovers it could have a monopoly and basically kick everyone else out of the business. Question is, if a Economy Sector as monopolised as Big Pharma sees profit in this, or if they have the morality to do it.
>>
they are probably more advanced. for example apple could probably bring out the iphone 10 tomorrow. but there probably isn't a cur right now.
>>
File: 1495338976237.png (2MB, 1346x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1495338976237.png
2MB, 1346x1044px
Lots of low IQ responses in this thread. Holy shit.
>>
File: 02f.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
02f.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
>>127505001
Competition.

If you develop a cure and try to do this, someone else could develop the cure and just sell it immediately.
>You: $0
>that guy: $9999999999999

Thanks for playing.
>>
>>127505850
Pretty sure there are people like this who profit billions off of it. Also have you ever wondered, where does all the millions of dollars we give to UNICEF go? Corruption is everywhere
>>
>>127505743
Cancer is different.
With Diseases in the Past, cures that were found tended to be THE Cure, and finding it making money by giving people the Chance to survive when formerly it was based on Luck or dubious procedures.

With Cancer on the other hand, the "dubious procedures" are expensive and cost alot. They are currently the only option, take years to take effect and the patient can be billed every step along the way. A simple cure would completly make these procedures obsolete, a one time Shot of some Medicine would cost far less, and even though the Cure could potentially give a monopoly position, the overall profits would probably sink drastically. The current "cure" is expensive and inevitable. Finding something cheaper and easier would basically mean giving patients something faster for less money.
>>
>>127505743
>Why create an efficient cure for anything then? By your rules, no diseases should have cure that work easily.
Then maybe they should get the fuck out of the way and let government develop cures.
>>
>>127506266
Why even develop a cure though, if your current solution is basically a way to print money because you can jew the poor bastards who are afflicted by Cancer for years?
What initiative would there be to develop a cure with the current system being so profitable?
>>
>>127506266
Didn't the guy who cured polio have a patent on it, then gave it away basically for free? Wouldn't you have a patent on your cure that would keep people from using your shit? Genuine question, I'm not sure how any of this works anymore, seems like (((they))) control everything
>>
Because you dont understand that in the USA rich families and companies FUND private research.

Capitalism > make money > donate money to science research

This is happening non stop in America

source : know research scientist
>>
>>127506386
>muh obsolete procedures
It's every R&D firm's wet dream to make all the large expensive junk obsolete, because it will mean they can cheaply produce a product and charge whatever markup they want on it.
>>127506398
>government
>developing anything but corruption
Your post wasn't even worth filling out the captcha over.
>>
>>127505001
Can only happen when the pharmaceutical companies leverage regulatory agencies to shut the cure down.
Like the FDA simply not granting approval for the Kanzius Foundation to build the man-sized machine.
>>
File: 1476844433469.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1476844433469.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>127506587
As long as there is competition amongst healthcare providers, the initiative is enormous.

If somebody came out with THE CURE, they would steal all of the business from the other providers that are only offering the "years of treatment" option.

>>127506652
It would depend on the method that the cure uses (drug, surgery, etc.) , but patents are actually helpful in these situations. A patent only lasts 20 years, and they are often the "profit incentive" for actually developing the cures in the first place.

The demand for a cancer cure is enormous, therefore the profit incentive to develop one is equally large.
>>
>>127506587
>>127506386
You're simplifying medical care and pre-supposing that there isn't competition within the medical industry spread over hundreds of separate countries throughout the world, which is 1. utterly stupid and 2. a direct contradition to your entire 'in a capitalist society blah blah' sperg out in the OP. Do you even understand what you're asking us about?
>>
>>127505001
>the Pharmaceutical Industry

it doesn't serve the industry as a whole to do so, but it would serve a particular company in that industry to release it.

The reason should be obvious. Say CorporationA finds the cure. They know that they can sit on the cure and not announce it (i.e. patent it). And keep selling their shittier drugs which only manage cancer.

However they know that their competitor CorporationB may independently find the cure. If CorpB finds the cure, they may patent it and start selling it, which will immedlately obsolete CorporationA's shitty management drugs, and hand the whole cancer business to CorpB.

All this assumes that the companies in the industry aren't working in collusion (e.g.
an oligopoly). In which case the smart thing to do would be to NOT release the drug. But there are other reasons which suggest that the new, good drug will be released (e.g. whistleblowers)

tl;dr lern2economics and lern2gametheory faggot. You're literally a disgrace to your flag.
>>
File: JSBTl.gif (2MB, 357x296px) Image search: [Google]
JSBTl.gif
2MB, 357x296px
>>127507016
>>127508251
>your entire 'in a capitalist society blah blah' sperg out
Please do not take me for some "Muh Capitalism is bad" fag. I know its every leftists prime argument to state that capitalism is actively refraining from developing solutions to certain problems. The point of this thread was to establish a solution for a system I support, in which I see that the wish for profit may oppose the desire for progress. I might actually start a Thread later today or tomorrow to start a discussion about Electric Cars and the Oil Industry.

>It's every R&D firm's wet dream to make all the large expensive junk obsolete

Good point. The Question remains if, in fact the Procedures are expensive enough for the Companies to make a one time cure profitable.
I have in fact only very rudimentary knowledge of the Works of the Pharmaceutical Industry, which is why I hoped to find answers.

>>127508218
A Lobby such as Big Pharma could have in fact collectively made a deal behind closed doors to avoid anyone stealing the "years of treatment" options monopoly as the only chance of surviving cancer. But that is Tinfoil Hat Level and I wont engage to much in that. Cannot really argue with your arguments otherwise.
>>
>>127507004
a huge portion of research is done by grad and doctorate students getting paid slave wages and then the university turns around and sells this research for profit to drug companies and shit

lel
>>
>>127508386
My entire theory of a cure being less profitable of course is based upon the Pharmaceutical Corperations working together (e.g. Big Pharma).
Question remains how long it would not be discovered without being patented, and how long untill one Corp just releases the bloody thing.
>>
>>127509463
What about that German doctor who went to America and ended up having to move to Mexico after getting rekt by the system? He claimed to have found a cure and to have tested it with many people.
>>
File: Big-Pharma-Illuminati.jpg (82KB, 960x727px) Image search: [Google]
Big-Pharma-Illuminati.jpg
82KB, 960x727px
>>127509251
There would be too large of an incentive to betray the Cartel. Game theory in full effect.
>>
>>127508386
What if the potential whistle blowers have 0% chance of sharing there information, whose to say that the people finding the cures aren't locked up?
>>
>>127509745
It's not that simple.
>be Doctor
>Find cure for Cancer
>Get laughed at and fired.
>B-but it works!
>Get silenced, laughed at and fired.

I know the cases of an Italian doctor and a German one. Not sure how legit they are, though. The Italian doc claimed Cancer was a problem related to funghi and you could remove the cancer with something as simple as baking soda. He also said that cutting it fucks your shit up because it makes the funghi travel through your blood and may form new colonies.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.