[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Anybody Else Have a Problem with this Word?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: fuckEnglish.png (8KB, 648x267px) Image search: [Google]
fuckEnglish.png
8KB, 648x267px
This is relevant to political discourse, because it's hard to talk about it in English without using this word.

>America first = selfishness
>White people not gibbing gibs = selfishness

What the fuck does this word mean?

The first half "lacking consideration for others" is not required for the second half "concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure".

As far as I can tell, humans by nature are always selfish from the second they are conceived to the second they die, and they always will be 100% completely selfish. Anybody saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

If you see a starving person and you give him half of yours sandwich, you did it to relieve your own personal anxiety about his situation that you got because of your empathy (if you're white). In other words, you gave a starving person food to make yourself feel good. SELFISH.

Being selfish and considering others are not mutually exclusive. In fact the happiest most successful people are often the most beneficial to other people. Was Steve Jobs selfish for charging so much for iphones and becoming rich? Or was he altruistic for improving everyone's life with the luxery of smartphones? BOTH He was selfish, and it made everyone's lives better.

Once you realize they are not mutually exclusive, then you have to ask yourself, "Why is selfishness sometimes 'bad'?"

Then answer is: Selfishness is amoral. People are good or people are bad.

To keep this political, if America is selfish and puts it's own people first, does the rest of the world benefit, or suffer from this?
>>
>>127169986
You just want to get out of paying for my welfare fuck you and your white privilige.
>>
>>127169986
There is nothing wrong with being selfish anon, just like there is nothing wrong with giving your opinion even if it is "rude." There is nothing wrong with the word, people have just become cucks and let others use the word against them. Fuck public opinion, use the English language as it was intended to be used.
>>
>>127169986
oh no, that sucks

sage
>>
>>127169986
Okay I'll try and discuss this point by point.

1. People aren't entirely selfish as they seem to have some sense of evolved morality. I do things that are decent for other people all the time (as does everyone else) that cause me either minor inconvenience or stop me from getting a large positive.

2. Your statement about people doing things just to feel good might be fair enough but a) it's not falsifiable really, you can just claim it's the case and b) why does doing "good" make people feel good? I think it links to 1 above. For example the other day I found someones purse on the train and there was 400 dollars in there as well as the persons business card. Their business card showed they were a high level lawyer so they wouldn't have missed the money (whereas I would have loves to have it as it's more than I earn in a week). I just sent them a text message and met up with them the next day, giving them back the purse and money. How is this in my best interest?

3. People use selfish as a derogatory term but they mean that someone acts more in self interest than they do (or think they would). That's all it means.
>>
>>127170438
>There is nothing wrong with the word
So if you agree with the dictionary definition, they you are saying there is nothing wrong with lacking consideration for others?

Because if you really think that, we would have a problem if we met in person, and you had no consideration for my existence.

The point I am trying to make is that you can put yourself first and be concerned with your own personal benefit WHILE at the same time being concerned with the existence of other people.
>>
>>127171183
Why am I obligated to care about your existence? I wish you the best, but it is not my duty to be a part of your life.
>>
>>127171126
Okay I'll try and discuss this point by point.

>1. People aren't entirely selfish as they seem to have some sense of evolved morality. I do things that are decent for other people all the time (as does everyone else) that cause me either minor inconvenience or stop me from getting a large positive.

The way you use "Selfish" here impies that there is morality tied to it. Do you disagree that it is amoral?

>2. Your statement about people doing things just to feel good might be fair enough but a) it's not falsifiable really, you can just claim it's the case and b) why does doing "good" make people feel good? I think it links to 1 above. For example the other day I found someones purse on the train and there was 400 dollars in there as well as the persons business card. Their business card showed they were a high level lawyer so they wouldn't have missed the money (whereas I would have loves to have it as it's more than I earn in a week). I just sent them a text message and met up with them the next day, giving them back the purse and money. How is this in my best interest?

It's not falsifiable, but there is also no way to verify that you returned the wallet out of the kindness of your heart. You could have simply done it because that's how you would want to be treated, and if you behave a certain way, you will feel more secure that other people will also behave that way. So really you just returned the wallet to make yourself feel good.

>3. People use selfish as a derogatory term but they mean that someone acts more in self interest than they do (or think they would). That's all it means.

I know people use it that way, you yourself are using it that way.
Do you think selfishness is a moral topic, or amoral?
>>
>>127171606
I don't think you are obligated to care about my existence, unless we are in proximity to each other. If you are in China, and I am in the US, and we are the only people on the planet, we will never interact.

But if you are in the same room as me, and smell bad, dress like PeopleOfWalmart, and bump into me because you are not watching where you are going, then your lack of consideration is affecting my happiness.
>>
>>127169986
>assume 2 persons are sitting in the couch
each person has a finished sandwich in the kitchen
>person1 goes into the kitchen to get himself his sandwich
>person2 kindly asks person1 if he would bring his sandwich too, which would take little extra effort for person1
>person1 denies

this is selfish

now assume that the sandwiches aren't made
>same situation, person1 goes to kitchen to make himself a sandwich, person2 asks if person1 wants to make a sandwich for him
>person1, knowing that it takes time and effort, does not wish to spend so much time making a sandwich for person2, who could simply just make his own

this is not selfish
>>
>>127171926
All of what you are describing is etiquette though, not selfishness.
>>
>>127171945
Person 2 is selfish in both of these examples. Person 1 is not obligated to bring anything.
>>
>>127175856
mynigga.jpg
>>
>>127169986
>>America first = selfishness
>>White people not gibbing gibs = selfishness

That is not how I deciphered it. If you are concerned about the well-being of America and white people collectively, that is not selfish because you are not focusing on merely yourself.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.