[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College majors

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: choosing-college-major-ftr.jpg (511KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
choosing-college-major-ftr.jpg
511KB, 1240x775px
Is there such a thing as a worthless degree? I've heard a lot of bad things about sociology, women's studies, and gender studies. What happens to people who majors in those fields?
>>
>>127011687
It's mostly the fact that dumb asses only want to do something in their field.
>>
>>127011687
They work at mcdonald and put their creativity in making burgers for the pleb who eats there.
>>
>>127011987
There's nothing wrong with being a sandwich artist.
>>
>>127011687
Red Pill: Almost all of them are worthless
>>
What about stem fields?
>>
>>127012366
Yeah stem fields are an exception - for now. Universities will be obsolete in the future.

Degrees are only pieces of paper.

Another exception to the rule is if you live in a 3rd world country or something and want to emigrate to a developed country.
>>
I have a sister who has a masters in criminology is that worthless? Also is an english major worthless also or are there jobs that pay for people who can write well?
>>
>>127012786
Just watch this and red pill yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5NUv0nOQCU
>>
thanks anon
>>
>>127011687
If a person without a degree can get hired do the same job as the person with a degree, then the degree is worthless.
>>
>>127013226
No prob. You will see education in general in a different light. Continuous self-learning is what's really important here.
>>
>>127012132
>sandwich artist

Kek
>>
>>127013360
You have to take into consideration the cost and weigh that against the benefits of degrees. Not only tuition n shit but the entire opportunity cost of 4 years.
>>
If you play your cards right you can get hired to teach corporations diversity.
>>
I'm getting close to my bachelor's. I'm a history major, and I'll be getting a teaching credential soon.

I've always wanted to teach history, I don't care too much about the pay
>>
Well I want to make a six digit salary and I know that if I go into a stem field I will get a job that pays that much. Problem is that I hate math, I'm smart enough to go through History and English but I sure as hell do not want to be a teacher. I have an interest in computer science and programming any thoughts on cs as a major?
>>
Literally every liberal arts degree is a meme. Like I'm not saying you absolutely cannot find a decent job as an English major or whatever, it's just really fucking hard and would be irresponsible on your part for going down that path without realizing how hard it's going to be. If you really want to go to school and get a halfway decent job you're honestly better off going to a community college for computer programming or something IT related. Then you can always transfer into a computer science degree program if you really want to or just go right into the work force.
>>
>>127012786
Here's actually a better Peter Thiel one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJIpBexKhQ
>>
>>127014621
For CS you will need at least linear algebra and two semesters of calculus. Even that will put you at somewhat of a disadvantage in some higher year courses (especially if you want to learn anything related to graphics, machine learning, computer vision, etc.) because you'll have to pick up some rudimentary multivariate calculus on the fly.

That said, it's possible to be a successful CS major who isn't good at math. I didn't hate math, but I wasn't great at it and despite that, I was great at "pure" CS: data structures, algorithms, complexity, computability, etc. I ended up graduating with honors and my starting salary was six figures. You'll have to work your ass off though, six figure starting is only at top Silicon Valley companies. Make sure you kill it in data structures and algorithms and apply for prestigious internships early on (lowest paid internship I had was 6k/mo at Google, it's probably gone up by now because of inflation).
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.