[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /pol/ I want to become a better person through religion and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 33754-bible1200.800w.tn[1].jpg (114KB, 800x418px) Image search: [Google]
33754-bible1200.800w.tn[1].jpg
114KB, 800x418px
So /pol/ I want to become a better person through religion and gaining some moral fiber. What are the best things to read to help accomplish this? I plan to read the bible but don't know which version is best. After that I plan to read christian philosophy and the like to learn about morality. Is there anything else I should do to become a better person at heart? I am open to non christian philosophy books as well, but I'm looking for more classical than modern.
>>
you can help others and not post it on facebook/twitter
you are entitled to a smug attitude, but not going all PR about it
read Plato, read the fuck out of him
and if you are in a Las Vegas mood, read Cornelius Castoriadis, politics aside, he was a unique observer
>>
>>126941876
...of human nature
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 846x846px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 846x846px
>>126940836
KJV and no other version
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=53BN9tTDoCw

also if you haven't read the bible at all yet read in this order: gospel(first 4 books in NT), torah(first 5 books in OT), all of the New Testament, all if the Old Testamen
>>
>>126942893
Thank you, I was planning to use the KJV since it seemed to be the one mentioned here often. I was actually brought up catholic, even going to catholic private school but never much paid attention and considered myself an atheist. I'm not certain I'll be able to buy into the whole "big man in the sky" concept but I very much so accept religion's place in forming the moral code of society.

I remember reading something by Thomas Aquinas in high school, does he have good values?

>>126941876
I've already read a lot of non religious philosophy including plato, but thank you for the recommendations
>>
>>126944259
you read Castoriadis?
>>
if you're white don't bother with (((Christianity)))
>>
>>126940836
>I want to become a better person
>What are the best things to read to help accomplish this?
Try "How not to latch on to religion like a weak faggot instead of taking some responsibility for your life for once and finding your own strength to become a better person"
>>
>>126944832
No, I will definitely look into him

>>126945021
>>126945053
I'm not trying to become religious, I'm trying to come up with a guiding set of moral principle that I seem to lack. I have responsibility in life in so much as I work, live alone and take care of things. I don't even partake in much degeneracy: I don't drink or do drugs, am still a virgin and have no interest in tattoos, slut culture or most western media. I just want to know some good things to read in order to gain moral fiber.
>>
>>126945468
How old are you? If you don't mind me asking
>>
>>126945468
21, I will be graduating from university next may with an accounting degree. I'm currently working in an internship and plan to get a new one this summer.
>>
>>126947844
>>126947546
I don't know why I quoted myself like a retard
>>
>>126940836
• The Dhammapada (the Buddha's greatest hits)
• Mere Christianity by CS Lewis
• The Daily Stoic. Christianity and stoicism are like half-brothers.
• The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (how to get what you want)
• Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (what happens when you get what you want and it isn't enough)
• Walden by Henry David Thoreau (how to not want it at all)
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>126940836
Go to the local mosque.
>>
>>126940836
read the kjv bible, the torah, and the koran.
everything that matches between them all is shit to live by. discard the rest
>>
>>126947844
>21
It's good to see you have your head in the right place.
> I'm trying to come up with a guiding set of moral principle that I seem to lack.
Sorry, I cannot recommend you anything on that, Mediations by Marcus Aurelius maybe.

But I've been reading this book for some months now and I've found it to be pretty based. I strongly recommend you give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Nihilism-Philosophy-Based-Nothingness-Eternity/dp/0994595832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495657475&sr=8-1&keywords=Nihilism%3A+A+Philosophy+Based+In+Nothingness+And+Eternity
>>
>>126949272
>>126949820
>>126949435
Thank you for the recommendations

>>126949427
Thank you for the laugh achmed, how are you enjoying your first month in sicily?
>>
File: suf.jpg (52KB, 564x405px) Image search: [Google]
suf.jpg
52KB, 564x405px
>>126940836
Look into Sufism. The others have already given you some good advice.
>>
>>126952033
>>126940836
The way of the Sufi by Idries Shah and The Sufi Bible by Paul Smith are pretty good. Deals with spirituality, ethics, metaphysics, philosophy and religion.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.