[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hardeners?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1457387116929.jpg (77KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
1457387116929.jpg
77KB, 552x414px
What should I use to solidify a papercraft? I was thinking about using a brush and white glue, or maybe a brush and clear polyester casting resin, or even just a clearcoat of spray paint. Anyone have any recommendations? Pic unrelated
>>
spray adhesive. the kind that comes in a spraypaint can.
>>
>>548170

I feel like that wouldn't be a strong enough hold. I'd have to hit it with multiple layers. I know I have some laying around, so I'll give it a shot on some small models to test.
>>
I'm looking for a simple hardener too, for a model that will be stored indoors (which is to say it doesn't need to be super durable, but I want it rigid/lasting).
>>
>>548181
Loctite makes a cheap and fairly durable spray adhesive. Depending on where you go it's about $2 for a 4oz can of general purpose that dries clear and can be used in multiple layers.
>>
>>548488
$2 is our sale price where I work, not that I intend to advertise where that is, but it's normally about $4 - $7 nominally.
>>
I've used brushed on PVA glue (thinned down a bit with water) but that was mostly to keep everything in place.
Spray adhesive seems like overkill to me unless you're trying to make your papercraft do things that paper isn't really meant for. Like are you just trying to get some fluttery elaborate paper to sit still or are you trying to use it to hang glide with or something?
>>
>>548157
I used clear resin for that. It soaks really well into paper and helps quite a bit.

If you want to make it more perfect, carefull stuff parts (arms, legs, torso, head) with wad and let a drop of resin soak into it now and then while stuffing.
You'll end up with pretty much a resin modelkit which you can even carefully sand down some and airbrush.
>>
>>548526
Do you just brush it on?
>>
>>548601
I was planning to, but it turned out that the viscosity of the expoxy I had was so low (between water and syrup) that it soaked right into the paper.
It was no glossy paper, just some random paper I use for the laserprinter.

You can use eg a toothpick to put drops onto the paper and if needed, wipe it around a little.
>>
>>548157
If you want to use resin, I would recommend coating your piece in pva glue first, maybe a few coats, so that the porus material of the paper doesn't absorb the resin and whatnot. I haven't tried it but it would be a cool experiment, and I feel like it might work, due to it working well with foam bring coated in glue and then resin. I would definitely use a thin coat of resin to harden it instead of a thicker one if you try it though.
>>
>>548157
You can use model airplane dope
>>
>>548157

Put your model in the freezer?
>>
b
u
m
p
>>
File: image.jpg (155KB, 1044x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155KB, 1044x1500px
I really don't want to make another thread for this, but is there any truth to the meme white glue paper craft falls apart after 5 years? I'm starting to do much more complex stuff and I would like it to last.
>>
>>548484
>>
File: mask2.jpg (146KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
mask2.jpg
146KB, 1200x1600px
I've been laying layers of glue onto this mask for the past two days, and I can say that while it works for perfectly for smaller parts like the teeth, the larger parts still remain wobbly.

At least it's weatherproof though - I've actually fixed parts of my car with just glue and paper this way.
>>
>>551364
Yeah it really does start to degrade after a while
>>
>>552722

If you want to do it right

Remake your shit in cardstock. It needs a sturdy base. Put it together with wood glue.

Buy a bottle of "Wood Hardener" for about $10 . It is a very very thin resin suspended in mostly solvent. You'll paint it on in multiple layers. It'll turn your paper into plasticard by the time you're done.
>>
ide recommend jizz, always sticks my covers together
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.