[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you think about making sculptures out of aluminum foil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: 13830-post-img-1.jpg (122KB, 600x302px) Image search: [Google]
13830-post-img-1.jpg
122KB, 600x302px
what do you think about making sculptures out of aluminum foil?
>>
>>544301
those are cool, though plain aluminum foil isn't the best looking stuf.

Do you know how they are made ? If they are made of only one rectangular sheet of aluminum foil well that mean technically they're as much origami as any other origami model.
>>
>>544308
>>they're as much origami as any other origami model.

...except for the gami-part
>>
>>544310
>...except for the gami-part

Well what is paper in origami, and what isn't ? tissue foil is concidered paper. If half metal half vegetal fiber is considered paper why not full metal ?.

You could obtain the same results with tissue foil instead of plain foil, would it be origami for you then ?
>>
>>544312
I think that is not folding xD, it's just like foil was clay
>>
>cat starts whimpering and runs out of room whenever I mess around with aluminum foil
>look it up
>the sound of the metal scraping is in the ultrasonic range and is apparently so deafening and horrible it can cause seizures in older cats
and thats when I started origami
>>
>>544330
some wet folding is like this
>>
>>544301
/po/ is for paper and paper accessories only
Beat it nerd
Before we beat you
>>
>>544310
It is possible to make origami out of tinfoil, but because it's so thin and holds any crease you put in it, it's rather difficult.
That said, I did once succeed in folding a semi-elaborate tinfoil swan.
>>
>>544331
That is interesting to know. I've had my cat for a while now, he's probably nearing 5 years old and I just got a kitten last month. The two get along but the kitten always wants to play with something and the older cat doesn't feel like dealing with that shit so sometimes when I'm done playing with the kitten I'll make him a little ball out of aluminum foil and let him play with that. I've never noticed the older cat's reaction but now I think I'll stop with that just in case. The last thing I need is a cat seizing in the kitchen
>>
File: Po flowchart.png (9KB, 874x383px) Image search: [Google]
Po flowchart.png
9KB, 874x383px
>>544312
You annoy the fuck out of me. I like making things similar to what OP does, hell this is literally one of the common steps for making clay sculptures and people use aluminum foil and hot glue to make figures. But this is absolutely not in any way origami. Origami is the act of folding a single square of paper into a design without the use of cuts, tape/glue and all fold done can be simplified to combinations of 4 folds (mountain, valley, inside & outside reverse folds). Wet folding is a variant which does not add any physical medium to the finished product and foil-paper still abides by the same rules as traditional origami. crumpling a piece of paper isn't origami, crumpling and shaping foil isn't origami. Just because you like origami and you like X doesn't mean X is origami.

>>544301
OP you're stuff is fine, I'd suggest finding tutorials on sculpting to add clay/epoxy layers over those to make them permanent and have better detail. Also since there is no miscellaneous art board here I support this thread being in /po even if it's not papercraft or origami (read sod off nerd>>544338 )
>>
>>545080
>Origami is the act of folding a single square of paper into a design without the use of cuts, tape/glue

This is /a/ definition of origami, the one you like (obviously!), but it doesn't mean this is the one and only way to define origami.
Until before mid-20th century, origami in Japan widely contained cuts and used rectangles.
You are using the "purist", modern definition of origami.

What about bill-folding (non-square rectangles) and other shapes folding (pentagons, triangles, ...)?
(Do you know of the "traditional" origami in Europe, using rectangles for hats, boats, planes, ...?)
What about tea-bag pack folding?
What about modular? Not a "single square of paper" either...
And crumpling techniques are also accepted as origami (even if this is indeed more controversial ^^).

Also:
>all fold done can be simplified to combinations of 4 folds
If you want to go this way, there is only one fold (mountain and valley are the same when you flip the paper), and many combinations of it (what about sink/unsink, (spread) squash, swivel, etc?)

Anyway, whatever float your (paper) boat is fine.
Many definitions of origami (there is no Truth!) are OK, and the important is that we can fold however and whatever we like.
>>
File: vlcsnap-257794.png (1MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-257794.png
1MB, 1024x576px
>>545080
heh that's funny cause i made this flowchart ! (But i should change "paper" in "paper or cardboard")

But i wasn't trying to annoy you, it was just completely hypothetical/philosophical. I know including this into origami is a bit artificial and it's closer to sclutping than traditional origami.
>>
I would say that if you're folding distinctly it's origami, but if you're just kinda crumpling it like in that image it is more a sculpting/claylike thing than tru origami.
>>
>>545100
This all the way. I hate paper nazis trying to enforce rules on a hobby/art. Especially when it isn't because they think cuts and glue compromise the beauty and integrity of the design, they're just too lazy to get tools.
>>
>>545127
it's kinda hard to create figures by folding aluminum foil, it's too thin
>>
>>544338
Fuck off you purest elitist. /po/ is for people who like fun so you should leave.
>>
I have done it before. It gets pretty hard and might take some practice though. But it is still a great hobby.
>>
>>546031
>/po/ is for people who like fun

/po/ is for people who like fun with paper. Your particular type of "fun" is not welcome here friend.
>>
>>545100
he can look into vincent floderer to see crumpled origami, so yeah, crumpled foil would go in origami, thoki yenn had a diagram where you could judge just how far you´re willing to go before you stop calling it origami, maybe it was in an old BOS booklet
>>
>>546532
not thoki yenn, but john smith, I found the page for you http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/jonsmif.php
>>
>>545100
Origami =/= kirigami

origami doesn't contain cuts
>>
I often use tin foil for practicing bc I don't have access to a lot of paper that is large/thin enough. I think that as long as you could've made it out of paper you're fine.
>>
>>546343
/po/ is starting to look like /pol/
>>
This thread spooked me good.
>>
>>544729
From /pol/ here

Do you do hats?
>>
File: foil rose.jpg (140KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
foil rose.jpg
140KB, 774x1032px
>>547485
why?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ye2Jd8u3M

Tin foil can be better than paper when trying to make some things, like a rose for example.
>>
>>544301
I don't think it looks good when you scrunch it up. If you take the time and make it similar to typical papercraft, I'm sure it would look a lot better.
>>
File: example.jpg (62KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
62KB, 900x675px
>>548491
It's not impossible to make origami figurines out of aluminum foil, you can do things like you a hot iron to smooth out the surface, and avoid crinkles.

I've seen some seriously impressive pieces made out of aluminum foil, which says a lot because it's harder to make good looking origami out of aluminum foil, as apposed to paper.
>>
>>548927
Since you posted the pic, here's the instructions for anyone that wants it
http://bladerunnerunicorn.com/_bladerunnerunicorn.com.html
>>
>>549024
Oh nice! I wonder if you can create a metropolis figure with tin foil, that would be so cool.
>>
>>548479
that's amazing, thanks for sharing
>>
>>548927
>>
>>544310

And the oru part. If this qualifies as folding, so does crumpling up a piece of paper into a ball.
>>
>>549802
Don't you know about Jeremy Shafer's origami monolithic rubblestone boulder?
>>
File: 1476328763096.jpg (9KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
1476328763096.jpg
9KB, 228x221px
>>549860
kek
>>
File: 1450058051793.gif (211KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1450058051793.gif
211KB, 480x320px
the amount of autism on this thread is unprecedented.

admittedly i don't spend much time on /po, but this shit is shocking.
>>
>>546742
My idea of fun is painting minifigures. Can I start making threads here
>>
>>550260
As long as your minifigures are made of paper (/po/ being about Papercraft and Origami), it should be OK.
>>
>>550254
Thanks, now I have to re-watch Akira...
>>
>>550352
Akira is pretty shit desu
>>
>>551404
TETSUOOOOOOOO!!!!!
>>
File: Capture.jpg (139KB, 985x606px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
139KB, 985x606px
>Papercraft and Origami

Wait, so all this argument about what is and is not origami only applies to a subset of what this board is about? Something could NOT be origami and still be on topic?

Cool.
>>
>>551417
Welcome to /po/ faggot
>>
>>551417
That's where the P in /po/ comes in Papercraft and Origami
P for Papercraft
O for Origami
/po/
Get it?
>>
>>551448
Lol
>>
>>544301
>Not paper
>No folding
>Sculpting
Get out. Kindly.
>>
>>552668
>sculpting

what? how the hell is it sculpting, maybe you need to iron out the dents, but you're still folding. it's origami.
>>
>>551417
do you have a higher-res of your pic?
>>
File: doge_papercraft.png (426KB, 1130x1600px) Image search: [Google]
doge_papercraft.png
426KB, 1130x1600px
>>553497
nvm, found what I wanted
>>
>>544301
it's not bloody papercraft
>>
>>553509
t. brainlet
>>
File: 22948166736_d0980b468d_h.jpg (457KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
22948166736_d0980b468d_h.jpg
457KB, 1600x1067px
>>552668
>>Sculpting
You called?
>>
>>544301
Used to do this all the time with my packed lunch foil, but since I couldn't pack it well because all it covered was a soggy sandwich my mom made, the best I could muster was scorpions and shit where I could just pack it all into one area
I tried with dragons but the wings were too flimsy since they were only one layer anyways
I would sell them for 25 cents until some bitch bought one, returned it the next day because her dad called her stupid, and demanded 50 cents because of interest rates or some shit
>>
>>552668
>Get out
And go where?
>>
>>554427
/alu/ - aluminum foil
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.